IGNORED

Oxford United at home - first round of the Carabao Cup

Round one of the Carabao Cup and we welcome Oxford United to BS3, the former club of Mark Sykes, Rob Dickie and Rob Atkinson, on  Wednesday, August 9th at 7.45pm. Tickets are available to purchase in the South Stand, Dolman Stand and Lansdown Stand from just £10 for adults and as little as £5 for Under-19s. Matty Taylor also played for both them and us and if I recall correctly somebody else!

Our recent pre-season friendly against them ended with us running out 4-1 winners, although they had something of a make-shift team having beaten Swansea 1-0 the day before. They also beat QPR 5-0 in their final pre-season friendly, their line up then was: Beadle, Long (Stevens 46), Brown, Thorniley, Moore, McEachran (McGuane 67), Brannagan, Harris (O'Donkor 77), Browne (Mills 67), Goodrham. Rodrigues (Bodin 77) Subs not used Eastwood, Henry, Negru,

Our record against them is not good, we’ve won 11, drawn 13 and lost 19, our last two games against them, in 2002 and 2014, both in the League Cup, ended with us losing, in fact we have only won once (in 2000 a 1-0 win with Scott Murray scoring) in our last thirteen encounters!

Their history: https://www.oufc.co.uk/club/history/#:~:text=

In March 2023 they appointed Liam Manning as Head Coach. The 37 year old, first came to prominence as coach of the West Ham under-23 side before joining City Football Group and becoming first Director of Coaching at New York City FC and then Head Coach at Lommel FC in Belgium. He then enjoyed a successful spell at MK Dons where he guided the club to the play-off semi-final in his first season. Here is his first interview: https://youtu.be/segtq6fdboI

They finished last season in nineteenth place in league one, enduring a campaign marred by a fling with relegation and a 17-game winless run.

Like us they acted early in the transfer window to snap up the services of Ruben Rodrigues, Jordan Thorniley and Josh McEachran – all on free transfers due to their contracts expiring.

They also signed Everton winger Stanley Mills on a season-long-loan deal. The 19-year-old made 21 appearances and scored 24 goals for the Toffees' under 21-side last season. He also made regular appearances in the first-team squad.

Last week they added Liverpool forward Max Woltman for an undisclosed fee. The 19-year-old had been on trial with the U's and spent the first half of last season on loan with Doncaster in League Two where he made 14 appearances.

On Saturday they lost 2-0 away at fellow university rivals Cambridge, highlights:

https://youtu.be/TNNgsUBQI2

Here’s the BBC’s analysis:

Promotion is firmly in Oxford’s sights following a near disastrous 2022-2023 campaign, which saw Liam Manning replace long-serving manager Karl Robinson and guide the team to League One safety.

In contrast to previous summer transfer windows the U’s did their business early, with key permanent additions Jordan Thorniley, Ruben Rodrigues and Mark Harris arriving from Blackpool, Notts County and Cardiff respectively. The trio, together with Brighton loanee goalkeeper James Beadle (who adds to a defensively strong squad), are expected to form the spine of any promotion push.

Goalscoring will likely define Oxford’s success – with Rodrigues challenged to step up from the National League and Harris expected to improve his output after dropping down from the Championship.

If the duo can fire, if Manning can nurture a breakout season from youngster Tyler Goodrham, and if there are improved campaigns from influential duo Elliott Moore and Cameron Brannagan, there is no reason why the team cannot compete at the top of the table again.

They have a number of celebrity supporters, including Richard Branson, Timmy Mallett, Tim Henman and Jim Rosenthal.

Oxford oddities

• Oxford University was established in or around the 11th century, making it the second-oldest known university in the world behind the University of Bologna.
  • The University had one of the first police forces in the UK. Formed in 1829, the bowler hatted constables (known as Bulldogs or Bullers) could act as police within the University and locally up to a limit of 4 miles. They weren’t abolished until 2003!
  • A striking fact is that 30 British Prime Ministers have been educated at the University of Oxford. Recent prime ministers include Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair, David Cameron, Theresa May, Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak.
  • The town was named around AD 900, as a river crossing (or “ford”) for oxen. It was later damaged during the 1066 invasion, in which William the Conqueror took over England.
  • Oxford was largely spared during the bombings of World War II, making it an especially fun city for lovers of old architecture
  • The buildings will likely be familiar to fans of the Harry Potter movies, which used Oxford as filming locations for many scenes.
  • For a short time Oxford was the capital of England! Royalist Oxford became the capital in October 1642 during the English Civil War. It remained the capital for 3 ½ years until the city surrendered to the Parliamentarian forces (Roundheads). 
  • The Inspector Morse detective novels are set in Oxford, and the TV series was filmed there too. If you’d like to have a pint in his local, head for the tiny White Horse pub on Broad Street.
  • The bookstore chain Blackwell’s Bookstore began in Oxford, where its flagship store still stands. The store has the world’s largest room devoted to book sales, with three miles of shelving.
  • The University Museum of Natural History has the most complete specimens of the dodo, a flightless bird that went extinct in the 17th century. The museum has the bird’s mummified skull, and bones from the foot and leg.

Referee: Ollie Yates. Assistants: Hugh Gilroy and Michael Webb. Fourth official: Aji Ajibola

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Referee Stats: Ollie Yates

Matches: 209

Highest league: League 1

Furthest FA Cup: Round 2

Furthest EFL Cup: Round 2

Bookings: 704 - avg 3.37 pg

Reds from double bookings: 9 - avg 1 every 23.22 matches

Straight Reds: 18 - avg 1 every 11.61 matches

Penalties: 36 - avg 1 every 5.81 matches

Matches since last penalty: 1

Matches since last red card: 23 (due a couple......)

City matches refereed: None

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I used to see Oxford as a similar sized club to us when I started watching City. I can’t believe how much they’ve fallen, along with Swindon 

There are many other clubs who have good history and now find themselves walking a tightrope between success and existence, Oldham, Bury , Portsmouth, Blackpool …

Football outside of the top dozen biggest clubs is cyclical with huge variants. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

Away to Oxford in the cup is 1 of my all time fave games. Can't recall if it was late 80's/early 90's. 

Packed away end, Andy Leaning inspired on his debut & a wordlie from Ralph Milne in a 4-2 win.

My memories of Oxford about the same time were rather different,

young lad then mind went up on a mini bus from my area and as was done sometimes in them days decided to go in there end , surprising how tough a few pints of Taunton cider can make you - got a right hiding must admit sussed us out straight away and got booted all the way down to the pitch then marched around to the away end - Christ I was sore the next day when the cider had worn off . Think this may have been the same game as I’m sure we won but o was seeing double when the game started ?

• Robin 1
1 hour ago, jrabrewer said:

I remember the 1-0 in 2000 at the old Manor Ground, an awful game between 2 teams scrapping near the bottom of division 2 at the time. Peter Beadle was copping a fair bit of stick from the away end!

42 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Was that when Oxford were skint and our lot were chucking 1 and 2 ps though the fence?

My abiding memory of that game was Oxford's 'keeper being pelted with plastic bottles whilst the game was going on. It went on for ages, and he was constantly having to throw/kick the bottles off the pitch.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oxford have actually won more major trophies than us iirc.

1985-86, League Cup having just checked.

"More"?!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Depends on a definition of Major trophies.

If we take it to mean the top division title, European trophies and the two main domestic ones.

They've won the League Cup once and we've won none of the above but again it can depend on definitions.

Sorry, I was being pedantic. Oxford have won a major trophy; we haven't !

• Thanks 1
  • Admin
2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The qué for the game in 98 99 streched right around into the residential street, was one of ivans first games I think and somebody missed a sitter infront the away end from two yards out, think it was torpey

My only ever visit to Oxford, seem to remember at least one unhappy local that their front garden turned into a river of piss from those waiting to get in

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Selred said:

Where can you get the £10 tickets from? Looking online, the lowest I can find is £11.25?

Is this something that can be brought up with the club @Blagdon red, @phantom? It's the same as memberships, they aren't just £25 if you have to pay for a booking fee on top.

Correct it is misleading 

This was actually brought up with Phil Alexander and Dave Barton at the meeting the other week 

Two bits I can feed back ;

Phil said that the club were currently looking into whether these additional charges are common around other football clubs, and he would be reporting back as soon as the checks were complete

It was asked why any additional cost couldn't be included in the advertised price, using your example above Phil stated that the ticket would show £10 though and people would question the difference in cost - the ticket could show the included amount on the home tickets but obviously wouldn't on the away ticket 

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes around then, football purist robert Maxwell tried to merge them with reading, thames United! Naturally like most chairman had no Idea how fans think

And it was just the Daily Mirror's pensioners who found their pension funds had been stolen by the corpulent fraudster. If you were unlucky enough to work for Oxford during Maxwell's tenure, you'd likewise find the pension pot - accumulated largely before he took over - had mysteriously evaporated. 

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, phantom said:

Correct it is misleading 

This was actually brought up with Phil Alexander and Dave Barton at the meeting the other week 

Two bits I can feed back ;

Phil said that the club were currently looking into whether these additional charges are common around other football clubs, and he would be reporting back as soon as the checks were complete

It was asked why any additional cost couldn't be included in the advertised price, using your example above Phil stated that the ticket would show £10 though and people would question the difference in cost - the ticket could show the included amount on the home tickets but obviously wouldn't on the away ticket 

Thank you so much for bringing it up! It really irks me. I don't even mind if it's paying more for postage (if free to collect), but to just give a price I can't buy at feels completely sneaky and unnecessary. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Selred said:

Thank you so much for bringing it up! It really irks me. I don't even mind if it's paying more for postage (if free to collect), but to just give a price I can't buy at feels completely sneaky and unnecessary. 

Some would argue that the booking fee is clearly indicated on the website but that’s not true. The cheapest ticket is advertised at £10.

If the cheapest ticket is £11.25 then advertise as such.