IGNORED

Oxford United at home - first round of the Carabao Cup

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Selred said:

Thank you so much for bringing it up! It really irks me. I don't even mind if it's paying more for postage (if free to collect), but to just give a price I can't buy at feels completely sneaky and unnecessary. 

Hopefully we'll get an acceptable response soon 

• Thanks 1

As I said on the other Wednesday night thread I would go with:

Max- Needs to get use to playing with Dickie in front of him and hasn't got any competition

Tanner- Nobody else to play unless you are going to throw in Leeson which seems unlikely because A we don't want to risk chucking him in the deep end and damaging his confidence and B he played for the under 21's today so for those 2 reasons I don't think we will see him start.

Vyner- Need to carry on playing him because he is becoming a valuable member of this team.

Dickie- Needs to get used playing with Zak and Max.

Roberts- May as well give him a game. Pring's performance was a bit average on Saturday so why not give Roberts a game.

Williams- Even if we were playing a league game he would probably be starting with our current injuries you would expect to see him start.

King- Would be logical to give James a rest to save giving him 3 games in a week.

Knight- Would imagine the 3rd midfielder would be him with all the injuries.

Sykes- As he didn't start on Saturday I would imagine him to start tomorrow.

Conway- Same reason as Sykes

Mehmeti- Would be nice to give him a start and give Sam a rest for a tough Millwall game on Saturday and would be nice to see Mehmeti be given a go from the start.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow. Would be nice to get some more minutes into the players and hopefully start a cup run. COYR!

Just read about Conway. Very worrying guess it will be Wells then.

Edited by MrRedRobin
15 hours ago, Selred said:

Where can you get the £10 tickets from? Looking online, the lowest I can find is £11.25?

Is this something that can be brought up with the club @Blagdon red, @phantom? It's the same as memberships, they aren't just £25 if you have to pay for a booking fee on top.

Just went to buy my tickets this morning as wasn't sure I could attend and now found out they've gone up £2 each! That's a 40% increase for the kids tickets!

I know this was in the small print of the ticket announcement but struggle to see the justification for such a large hike as I'll still be printing them at home (at my cost) and not sure it really costs the club more as they must always anticipate last minute purchases.

Surely we want to encourage fans to these low attendence games not put more cost barriers in?

No doubt there will be the "other clubs do this" argument but doesn't mean we have to blindly follow.

Any thoughts @Blagdon red @phantom ? (other than buy tickets earlier of course ?)

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oxford have actually won more major trophies than us iirc.

1985-86, League Cup having just checked.

Technically there are multiple teams in Oxford who have won more major trophies than us.

Oxford University FC won the FA Cup in 1873/74.

Very Bristol City of us to have a less decorated history than 2 teams from a City which only has 1 professional football club ?

Looking forward to tonight. Another dose of Ashton Gate after a long summer and hoping to see one or both of Araoye/Knight-Lebel in action for the first time. 

Draw is directly after the match so should we progress, we'll know our next opponents almost immediately. 

Joe Williams to score.

On 08/08/2023 at 15:46, Jerseybean said:

Round one of the Carabao Cup and we welcome Oxford United to BS3, the former club of Mark Sykes, Rob Dickie and Rob Atkinson, on  Wednesday, August 9th at 7.45pm. Tickets are available to purchase in the South Stand, Dolman Stand and Lansdown Stand from just £10 for adults and as little as £5 for Under-19s. Matty Taylor also played for both them and us and if I recall correctly somebody else!

Our recent pre-season friendly against them ended with us running out 4-1 winners, although they had something of a make-shift team having beaten Swansea 1-0 the day before. They also beat QPR 5-0 in their final pre-season friendly, their line up then was: Beadle, Long (Stevens 46), Brown, Thorniley, Moore, McEachran (McGuane 67), Brannagan, Harris (O'Donkor 77), Browne (Mills 67), Goodrham. Rodrigues (Bodin 77) Subs not used Eastwood, Henry, Negru,

Our record against them is not good, we’ve won 11, drawn 13 and lost 19, our last two games against them, in 2002 and 2014, both in the League Cup, ended with us losing, in fact we have only won once (in 2000 a 1-0 win with Scott Murray scoring) in our last thirteen encounters!

Their history: https://www.oufc.co.uk/club/history/#:~:text=

In March 2023 they appointed Liam Manning as Head Coach. The 37 year old, first came to prominence as coach of the West Ham under-23 side before joining City Football Group and becoming first Director of Coaching at New York City FC and then Head Coach at Lommel FC in Belgium. He then enjoyed a successful spell at MK Dons where he guided the club to the play-off semi-final in his first season. Here is his first interview: https://youtu.be/segtq6fdboI

They finished last season in nineteenth place in league one, enduring a campaign marred by a fling with relegation and a 17-game winless run.

Like us they acted early in the transfer window to snap up the services of Ruben Rodrigues, Jordan Thorniley and Josh McEachran – all on free transfers due to their contracts expiring.

They also signed Everton winger Stanley Mills on a season-long-loan deal. The 19-year-old made 21 appearances and scored 24 goals for the Toffees' under 21-side last season. He also made regular appearances in the first-team squad.

Last week they added Liverpool forward Max Woltman for an undisclosed fee. The 19-year-old had been on trial with the U's and spent the first half of last season on loan with Doncaster in League Two where he made 14 appearances.

On Saturday they lost 2-0 away at fellow university rivals Cambridge, highlights:

https://youtu.be/TNNgsUBQI2

Here’s the BBC’s analysis:

Promotion is firmly in Oxford’s sights following a near disastrous 2022-2023 campaign, which saw Liam Manning replace long-serving manager Karl Robinson and guide the team to League One safety.

In contrast to previous summer transfer windows the U’s did their business early, with key permanent additions Jordan Thorniley, Ruben Rodrigues and Mark Harris arriving from Blackpool, Notts County and Cardiff respectively. The trio, together with Brighton loanee goalkeeper James Beadle (who adds to a defensively strong squad), are expected to form the spine of any promotion push.

Goalscoring will likely define Oxford’s success – with Rodrigues challenged to step up from the National League and Harris expected to improve his output after dropping down from the Championship.

If the duo can fire, if Manning can nurture a breakout season from youngster Tyler Goodrham, and if there are improved campaigns from influential duo Elliott Moore and Cameron Brannagan, there is no reason why the team cannot compete at the top of the table again.

They have a number of celebrity supporters, including Richard Branson, Timmy Mallett, Tim Henman and Jim Rosenthal.

Oxford oddities

• Oxford University was established in or around the 11th century, making it the second-oldest known university in the world behind the University of Bologna.
  • The University had one of the first police forces in the UK. Formed in 1829, the bowler hatted constables (known as Bulldogs or Bullers) could act as police within the University and locally up to a limit of 4 miles. They weren’t abolished until 2003!
  • A striking fact is that 30 British Prime Ministers have been educated at the University of Oxford. Recent prime ministers include Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair, David Cameron, Theresa May, Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak.
  • The town was named around AD 900, as a river crossing (or “ford”) for oxen. It was later damaged during the 1066 invasion, in which William the Conqueror took over England.
  • Oxford was largely spared during the bombings of World War II, making it an especially fun city for lovers of old architecture
  • The buildings will likely be familiar to fans of the Harry Potter movies, which used Oxford as filming locations for many scenes.
  • For a short time Oxford was the capital of England! Royalist Oxford became the capital in October 1642 during the English Civil War. It remained the capital for 3 ½ years until the city surrendered to the Parliamentarian forces (Roundheads). 
  • The Inspector Morse detective novels are set in Oxford, and the TV series was filmed there too. If you’d like to have a pint in his local, head for the tiny White Horse pub on Broad Street.
  • The bookstore chain Blackwell’s Bookstore began in Oxford, where its flagship store still stands. The store has the world’s largest room devoted to book sales, with three miles of shelving.
  • The University Museum of Natural History has the most complete specimens of the dodo, a flightless bird that went extinct in the 17th century. The museum has the bird’s mummified skull, and bones from the foot and leg.

Referee: Ollie Yates. Assistants: Hugh Gilroy and Michael Webb. Fourth official: Aji Ajibola

The last time I went to a city away at Oxford was season 75/76 when the mighty cheese scored, and it finished up 1-1. 

Thank you for a great post, JB and keep up the great work.

• Like 1
Just now, Wanderingred said:

I think it’s pretty much a given isn’t it, that a young City team will struggle tonight against a strong looking league 1 side. I’ve still got nightmares of Lincoln last year. Surely we’ve got to do better than that?

It will be a good test and indicator of where we are really at. Depends though on what NP decides on who takes the pitch of the great young talent we have on hand.

Millwall made five changes to their team last night and got thumped 0-4 at home by Reading. Not a lot of strength in depth there then, although they did bring on some regulars during the game like Joe Bryan.

Hopefully, we have enough first teamers to come into the team tonight and don't go the way of Millwall.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Abingdon_Red said:

Just went to buy my tickets this morning as wasn't sure I could attend and now found out they've gone up £2 each! That's a 40% increase for the kids tickets!

I know this was in the small print of the ticket announcement but struggle to see the justification for such a large hike as I'll still be printing them at home (at my cost) and not sure it really costs the club more as they must always anticipate last minute purchases.

Surely we want to encourage fans to these low attendence games not put more cost barriers in?

No doubt there will be the "other clubs do this" argument but doesn't mean we have to blindly follow.

Any thoughts @Blagdon red @phantom ? (other than buy tickets earlier of course ?)

Hi

Please see the reply below - it was already raised earlier in this thread

17 hours ago, phantom said:

Correct it is misleading 

This was actually brought up with Phil Alexander and Dave Barton at the meeting the other week 

Two bits I can feed back ;

Phil said that the club were currently looking into whether these additional charges are common around other football clubs, and he would be reporting back as soon as the checks were complete

It was asked why any additional cost couldn't be included in the advertised price, using your example above Phil stated that the ticket would show £10 though and people would question the difference in cost - the ticket could show the included amount on the home tickets but obviously wouldn't on the away ticket 

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I think it’s pretty much a given isn’t it, that a young City team will struggle tonight against a strong looking league 1 side. I’ve still got nightmares of Lincoln last year. Surely we’ve got to do better than that?

Yes me too , hope I’m wrong but this got city slip up wrote all over it.

with the poorish performance Saturday and the bad news about Tommy we really could do with a nice solid win tonight 

2-0 would do me fine 

34 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Millwall made five changes to their team last night and got thumped 0-4 at home by Reading. Not a lot of strength in depth there then, although they did bring on some regulars during the game like Joe Bryan.

Hopefully, we have enough first teamers to come into the team tonight and don't go the way of Millwall.

Millwall had most of there first team subs on quite early but still couldn’t turn it round .

it goes to prove if you go with a weaker side and it goes wrong it’s very hard to turn things round 

much rather go in strong and make changes if possible. Surely this early in the season it shouldn’t ?effect players that much , could really do with a good solid performance tonight

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, redkev said:

Millwall had most of there first team subs on quite early but still couldn’t turn it round .

it goes to prove if you go with a weaker side and it goes wrong it’s very hard to turn things round 

much rather go in strong and make changes if possible. Surely this early in the season it shouldn’t ?effect players that much , could really do with a good solid performance tonight

Given we have only 14 What we could call reasonably established first team outfielders available we may not have much choice!

Some Championship clubs made 9, 10, 11 changes. Or half the team anyway..do we have that luxury?

So as far as we know, Nige is picking from:

O’Leary / Wiles-Richards

Tanner / Vyner / Dickie / Pring / Roberts (plus Araoye / Knight-Lebel)

James / Knight / Williams / King

Sykes / Cornick / Wells / Bell / Mehmeti

meaning if he wants to name a 20 man squad tonight, 2 more need to be added.  Yeboah didn’t play in u21s, so possible he gets one slot???

I wonder how far Naismith and McCrorie are?  I’m not suggesting them for tonight though.

Edited by Davefevs