IGNORED

Birmingham City at home match thread

Just now, petehinton said:

Has it? They’ve done nothing all game tbh. Thought we’ve looked really comfortable. 

Yep, thought it was a pretty open game and didn’t think we were as awful as some are saying. Vyner good again, same with James. Birmingham look like they’ve got something going forward, but not particularly secure defensively. 

• Like 1

I think City worked bloody hard to get a foothold in the game, but in attack we just don't look convincing. 

We've made Birmingham work hard to open us up but they still had the quality to do so, and should have scored a couple of minutes before they eventually did. 

It hasn't felt like we're the better side. We've used a lot of energy to still end up 1-0 down and I worry about the last half hour of this game when fatigue creeps in.

• Thanks 1

We've been outplayed all over the pitch today, Ruddy has been solid and commanding, Max having a few problems, we've not tested their defence, they've got past ours and had us making last ditch stops, our midfield seems to be going across the pitch, theirs is pushing the play forward and their attacking players look dangerous and confident whilst ours look outmatched and unable to link up.

The positives are that the defence is fighting hard, unfortunately, that goal will have probably taken some of that confidence down, Cornick seems up for it but still needs to be more consistent with his passing. All in all, there are a lot of positives in small doeses but largely outweighed by the negatives today so far.

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

We aren't going to be any good at home as we seem very blunt going forward

Lack of atmosphere does not help at all. Very shit from the fanbase

Nothing to get excited about though. Plenty of encouragement as it went up either wing and hit the first man or went behind our attackers every time. 

then conceding a corner off an arse then the resulting goal

Very poor first half. Forwards non existent and Max is starting to really worry me. Terrible early distribution, kicking and throwing and not getting near the ball with his attempted punch. I so want Cornick to be successful but he just doesn't cut it for me,and Bell isn't a centre forward. Has Mehmeti forgotten how to go round or past a player? 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Jose said:

That’s 2 and half games that bar two long throws we look absolutely clueless going forward. Just no threat at all. 

We defended ok for 45 miniutes. Disappointing.

Yep, I'd like to see our xG minus the long throw goals because I reckon it's pretty low?

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

From O’Leary’s inability to connect with balls into the box yes. League One goalkeeper im afraid. And to think people think hes better than Bentley! ???

He's better for us because whilst he comes and misses occasionally Bentley never came at all. Bentley was always a better shot-stopper, I think even Max would say that buy we play with a sweeper keeper and Bentley was afraid of that roll, he wasn't confident with the ball at his feet, he wouldn't come out to punch or catch the ball meaning the defenders got more stressed out as they had to deal with everything and he couldn't adapt to the sweeper keeper role despite being on a wage that probably made Max's look tiny at a time we were trying to reduce the over-inflated wage bill left for Pearson to fix.