IGNORED

Lansdown - decision time

Shuffle

Just now, Glen hump said:

Maguire was keen on the move, was told gray needed a bit more convincing but both deals were definitely done until sl interference, I can tell you who told me as the blokes long retired it was a solicitor who used to do city’s legal contracts 

Would have thought solicitor are covered by client confidentiality clauses, and with comments like this he may have to start practicing again soon to defend himself, not sure the club or SL will be too keen on someone with privileged inside knowledge spreading gossip!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, RedRock said:

May be some truth here. Not a body language/behaviourist expert but do I detect a recent subtle shift in mood and conduct from Nige. Whether that’s because SL has reneged on something to do with Scott’s sale, the general ‘mood music’ set by SL,  or he realises he’s not going to achieve what he wants with the Club within his own set timeframe, who knows. It is, at least to me, becoming apparent though he ain’t going to stick around after this Season. Not a particularly healthy situation.

Can see SL wanting to get things sorted sooner rather than later. However, SLs ability to entice Mark Robins from Cov - who I’m sure has always been and still is one of his favourite choices - is likely becoming increasingly more difficult.

So quite possibly we are going to be stuck ‘in limbo’ with an owner who wants out and a manager who is going out. Bristol City eh! 

If we get full on tetchy Nige again we'll know something is up!

• Like 2

Just now, sh1t_ref_again said:

Would have thought solicitor are covered by client confidentiality clauses, and with comments like this he may have to start practicing again soon to defend himself, not sure the club or SL will be too keen on someone with privileged inside knowledge spreading gossip!

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I wouldn’t worry about it to much mate, I understand what you’re saying but really isn’t a big deal was years ago 

45 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Not sure, it came across as sl trying to be clever and it pissed both selling clubs off big time 

Possibly penny wise pound foolish. I still have an open mind on it but thanks for the insight. I certainly believe that both the Football and Financial side should be aligned before a firm offer is made- if there was any disconnect here let's hope it never happens again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

May be some truth here. Not a body language/behaviourist expert but do I detect a recent subtle shift in mood and conduct from Nige. Whether that’s because SL has reneged on something to do with Scott’s sale, the general ‘mood music’ set by SL,  or he realises he’s not going to achieve what he wants with the Club within his own set timeframe, who knows. It is, at least to me, becoming apparent though he ain’t going to stick around after this Season. Not a particularly healthy situation.

Can see SL wanting to get things sorted sooner rather than later. However, SLs ability to entice Mark Robins from Cov - who I’m sure has always been and still is one of his favourite choices - is likely becoming increasingly more difficult.

So quite possibly we are going to be stuck ‘in limbo’ with an owner who wants out and a manager who is going out. Bristol City eh! 

Lansdown meddling in the football side of the club is always going to end up messy. Watch this one unfold ……

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

If we get full on tetchy Nige again we'll know something is up!

Not sure about that. Think he may have addressed that particular behavioural issue. 

It’s more the opposite for me. Has the flame gone out? Think it may be a combination of things that may have contributed to that. There are well documented ones outside of football. Just guessing as far as inside of football goes, indeed, it may not be our Club but the football ‘ business’ generally that he now finds tiresome.

9 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Lansdown meddling in the football side of the club is always going to end up messy. Watch this one unfold ……

Although, thinking 2015 rather than now, if the Financial department and the Football department don't align sadly in modern times the former can pull rank in some circumstances.

Was it not reported that Wolves had they made an acceptable bid for Scott, may have seen that bid blocked by their financial dept?

I reckon nobody is blameless from summer 2015, just hope and I don't like to use the phrase but all "lessons have been learned" to avoid a repeat.

It is part of the modern game which is a shame but true, especially at clubs without a lot of headroom, and or margin for error.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Not sure about that. Think he may have addressed that particular behavioural issue. 

It’s more the opposite for me. Has the flame gone out? Think it may be a combination of things that may have contributed to that. There are well documented ones outside of football. Just guessing as far as inside of football goes, indeed, it may not be our Club but the football ‘ business’ generally that he now finds tiresome.

Could be.

And if that's the case, he definitely isn't going to stick around under this regime.

Have to say that when Cotts produced that winning side in Div 1, just wonder where we would be if the striker he wanted after promotion, came to the club. Remember Cotts not being happy for a while before leaving. Feels like Big Nige is in a similar situation after the AS "sale"? 

Ref Cotts, think Lansdown blocked a striker signing if memory serves me right? But what a side we had then.

Bradford City away, evening game to watch City clinch it was some of the best football I have watched Bristol City play - what a team that was. We just did not know it at the time, how good they were.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have to say that when Cotts produced that winning side in Div 1, just wonder where we would be if the striker he wanted after promotion, came to the club. Remember Cotts not being happy for a while before leaving. Feels like Big Nige is in a similar situation after the AS "sale"? 

Ref Cotts, think Lansdown blocked a striker signing if memory serves me right? But what a side we had then.

Bradford City away, evening game to watch City clinch it was some of the best football I have watched Bristol City play - what a team that was. We just did not know it at the time, how good they were.

I did. 

Best since 1990.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

We were going straight back down - we were woeful for the last 6 months of cotts - and no striker would have saved us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Riaz said:

We were going straight back down - we were woeful for the last 6 months of cotts - and no striker would have saved us.

Hardly cut adrift at the bottom of the table were we?  We weren’t even bottom!!!  It’s just your opinion, nobody can be sure one way or the other.

Imagine SL had sanctioned the Tomlin loan before getting Ashton to sack Cotts?  Do you think he was Pemberton’s man only and not part of Burt’s recruit man plan for that window?

If you want to bemoan Cotts’s petulance, that’s fine.  But it’s not without good reason is it?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

5 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

You obviously don’t remember much about that season. Check your facts.

Check my facts? We were in the relegation zone. Playing badly. Things improved pretty much straight away when he was sacked.

He persisted with tactics that worked in league one, but didn’t in the championship. The diagonal long ball sticks in my memory, which wasn’t working for us at all 

Edited by Riaz

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Check my facts? We were in the relegation zone. Playing badly. Things improved pretty much straight away when he was sacked.

He persisted with tactics that worked in league one, but didn’t in the championship. The diagonal long ball sticks in my memory, which wasn’t working for us at all 

Maybe because the signings that he had in place to change that were taken away from him?

I'm really surprised that this needs spelling out. Yes, we were dog**** in that period. 

Because Cotterill threw his toys out of the pram through not being backed after dragging us up by the bootstraps.

And here we are again!

19 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Maybe because the signings that he had in place to change that were taken away from him?

I'm really surprised that this needs spelling out. Yes, we were dog**** in that period. 

Because Cotterill threw his toys out of the pram through not being backed after dragging us up by the bootstraps.

And here we are again!

He was backed ??‍♂️ he went for unrealistic players!

31 minutes ago, Riaz said:

You appear in the minority & it looks very much a case of history repeating.

Strong successful manager is something SL finds threatening, he needs a brown noser or a mediocrity, that’s much more his style.

Desperate stuff yet again.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5
  • Flames 4

15 minutes ago, Superjack said:

And yet the deals were agreed. ?

They were agreed but had all departments of the club agreed?

ie Had the Football department marched forward without full and unequivocal sign-off from the Financial department?

I'm not offering a defence, merely asking the question.

I'm not just thinking of FFP but whether an organisation is cohesive etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They were agreed but had all departments of the club agreed?

ie Had the Football department marched forward without full and unequivocal sign-off from the Financial department?

I'm not offering a defence, merely asking the question.

I'm not just thinking of FFP but whether an organisation is cohesive etc.

Burt controlled the football budget.

• Thanks 1