IGNORED

Lansdown - decision time

Shuffle

Like others I can just sense the mid table season in which Pearson leaves at the end (rightfully imo). 

And the little gremlin up north who has been out of a job for a few months magically comes back to town.

Think it’s criminal if Pearson isn’t back this window after the peanuts he’s had to work on. Looking back at the team he started his first game in charge we were really quite lucky we got him in as that team could’ve easily been relegation bound. 

At the end of the day, could all be talk and Nige protecting the club from “Scott money tax” in new deals but doesn’t seem that way. Think it’s something that can be talked about with more context come September. Let’s see what happens both on and off the pitch over the next month.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I have read this several times on here, the term 'proper football owners', but I'm not really sure I know what it means.

Can someone list half a dozen clubs who have proper football owners just so I can understand the term.

New owners of our club need genuine ambition first and foremost We’ve had more than 20 years of mediocrity, hot air and constant changes in direction. One minute it’s the five pillars, the next it’s copy Swansea; no, Brighton; make that Brentford; nope, Luton. SL always casts envious glances in the direction of similar-sized or smaller clubs who’ve left us behind and he never looks at anything other than budgets, stripping out any other context for their success (see his latest interview and comparing us to Luton for an example of that). 

I have said for well over a decade that SL knows absolutely nothing about on-the-pitch matters. He’s a nepotist. “My mate Lee can have the keys to the kingdom, but not the experienced Nige or the successful Cotts… Jon will be a safe successor, look at the commercial success of the badge and the kit.” If we don’t spend some of the Scott cash on at least one player of proven quality before the window closes, I hope others vent at SL. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 5

Well that's OTIB for you, 1 bad result and out trot the same old load of nonsense given out as fact or interpretations on comments to suite view point / agenda

It's all SL's fault, let get rid of this cretin and get some new owners, as there are billionaires queing up to gamble some money on getting to the prem, oh but we can't sell because we have a successful Rugby club as part of the deal or SL owns the stadium. SL has said he is looking for new investors and I trust him to not just sell to anyone who could not be trusted to take the club forward, Bristol Sport and the stadium will easily be factored into the right deal,

But we sold our best players, I am glad alex is gone now we know about the seriousness of the injury, maybe BCFC knew this as well and why we sold him? but it is prudent to make out that you will not be spending the Alex money as other will try to take advantage of the 25 million you just got. The issues around wages appears to have been imposed by NP, to get the players on a level footing, but may need to re-visit overall wages budget if more players are coming in, but don't see this as an issue as we are fine with FFP

As for SL not liking NP, to be fair SL could have sacked NP at numerous times and had the backing of a good percentage of the fans, 

But SL wants to put the money in his back pocket ready to sell up, lets be fair he is short of a few quid so maybe needs it, or just ridiculous comments, SL has always backed the manager with funds, and as many of the wise posters with hindsight have said he has wasted his money. Lessons were learnt following the LJ / MA failure where he loosen the reigns and spent a lot of money, it proved that what he always said about being sustainable was the right path and what is now again being followed, other FFP penalties or worse follows if we do not. Why will he now not back NP with any funds he needs? afterall relegation would be a total disaster and de-value the club.

But we have not got to the Prem when clubs like Luton and Brentford have, true but so have lots of other clubs not got to the prem. I remember back to when we the gas and Swindon were in the same division, we have moved miles away from other similar clubs and many have gone in the opposite direction, so whilst the plans have not worked I dont believe its not been for the lack of trying and honest endeavour whilst at the same time not putting the club at risk of going out of business.

SL is not above criticism and mistakes have been made, but some of the comments are just OTT, particularly as the transfer window is not even closed yet and no one on here as a clue about what is being planned or discussed

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Well that's OTIB for you, 1 bad result and out trot the same old load of nonsense given out as fact or interpretations on comments to suite view point / agenda

It's all SL's fault, let get rid of this cretin and get some new owners, as there are billionaires queing up to gamble some money on getting to the prem, oh but we can't sell because we have a successful Rugby club as part of the deal or SL owns the stadium. SL has said he is looking for new investors and I trust him to not just sell to anyone who could not be trusted to take the club forward, Bristol Sport and the stadium will easily be factored into the right deal,

But we sold our best players, I am glad alex is gone now we know about the seriousness of the injury, maybe BCFC knew this as well and why we sold him? but it is prudent to make out that you will not be spending the Alex money as other will try to take advantage of the 25 million you just got. The issues around wages appears to have been imposed by NP, to get the players on a level footing, but may need to re-visit overall wages budget if more players are coming in, but don't see this as an issue as we are fine with FFP

As for SL not liking NP, to be fair SL could have sacked NP at numerous times and had the backing of a good percentage of the fans, 

But SL wants to put the money in his back pocket ready to sell up, lets be fair he is short of a few quid so maybe needs it, or just ridiculous comments, SL has always backed the manager with funds, and as many of the wise posters with hindsight have said he has wasted his money. Lessons were learnt following the LJ / MA failure where he loosen the reigns and spent a lot of money, it proved that what he always said about being sustainable was the right path and what is now again being followed, other FFP penalties or worse follows if we do not. Why will he now not back NP with any funds he needs? afterall relegation would be a total disaster and de-value the club.

But we have not got to the Prem when clubs like Luton and Brentford have, true but so have lots of other clubs not got to the prem. I remember back to when we the gas and Swindon were in the same division, we have moved miles away from other similar clubs and many have gone in the opposite direction, so whilst the plans have not worked I dont believe its not been for the lack of trying and honest endeavour whilst at the same time not putting the club at risk of going out of business.

SL is not above criticism and mistakes have been made, but some of the comments are just OTT, particularly as the transfer window is not even closed yet and no one on here as a clue about what is being planned or discussed

it's a forum, it's like chatting down the pub. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But it wasn't the CEO that sold Scott ...

Jokes aside, I'm not surprised at all to hear that from someone else.

Usually I wouldn't be too concerned and say a bit of disagreement between two senior figures at a football club isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

But Nige was lucky to survive the push last season and that was with Richard Gould who was more likely to fight his corner. Nige won't be afforded the same this time around.

It's a crap cliche and said too much on football, AND it's still incredibly early doors, but Nige does "need results" and he needs them pretty quickly. 

Hanging around the bottom 8 isn't going to be tolerated again. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

That covers it!

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Usually I wouldn't be too concerned and say a bit of disagreement between two senior figures at a football club isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

But Nige was lucky to survive the push last season and that was with Richard Gould who was more likely to fight his corner. Nige won't be afforded the same this time around.

It's a crap cliche and said too much on football, AND it's still incredibly early doors, but Nige does "need results" and he needs them pretty quickly. 

Less time on his contract as well, less to pay out to sack him.

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But it wasn't the CEO that sold Scott ...

Jokes aside, I'm not surprised at all to hear that from someone else.

In Nige’s words, it was “the club” that sold Scott - I sense it was for less than £25m which is why Nige has sounded so fed-up since the sale went through…..add to it that we are unlikely to add any real quality before the window shuts next Friday, there’s no wonder he’s disgruntled…..

In my opinion, not hearing from our CEO in months and a lack of backing by SL in the transfer market, suggests that this is only going one way……another change of manager

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Does SL honestly think that in selling Scott and not replacing him (or strengthening the squad elsewhere) that we should be any better (in terms of league position) than last season?

When you see the recruitment going on elsewhere (Cov, Brum and Hull to name a few), surely he can see that we are likely to be falling further behind….

• Like 7

Going back to the Scott sale. Now, I did hear that was indeed off, but I’m not sure if Nige was being genuine about being surprised and disappointed that we let Alex Scott go. 

If that’s true, I don’t see this relationship lasting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

My view on SL is based on his 20-odd year stewardship of fixing his own **** ups. End of Story. The only proper progressive years after 2009 were under Keith Dawe. Coincidence?

Bold is case in point - over spending then austerity wasn't just MA/LJ being the first rodeo was it? - the exact same happened with GJ. Hence the McInnes and O'Driscoll cost cutting measures.

He. Does. Not. Learn.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

This is certainly starting to feel like the summer of cotts 2015 all over again.

Not that I agree at all but if lansdown is thinking of sacking him and installing another young yes man just bloody get on with it as if they are thinking of a change then whoever that would be needs funds to strengthen.

Nige has done his bit cutting the cost base down, developing players and generating significant income and deserves some proper backing not random punts for a few hundred k.

31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm afraid the relationship between the CEO and Nige isn't exactly blossoming.

Just a hunch tbh but I've long assumed and feel free to correct if me wrong, that Gould and NP a much better match, relationship.

New CEO I don't have a huge amount if faith in, he just feels..uninspiring. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I genuinely feel for Nige! It feels like Mr Lansdown has used him to dig ‘his’ club out of right bloody mess, and is basically hanging the poor man out to dry.

Selling the star player for a club record £25 million and telling him you can’t have any money to reinvest “oh by the way Nige your expected to push for playoffs this year, or your gone” F*****g joker!

• Like 5
  • Flames 4

15 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

In Nige’s words, it was “the club” that sold Scott - I sense it was for less than £25m which is why Nige has sounded so fed-up since the sale went through…..add to it that we are unlikely to add any real quality before the window shuts next Friday, there’s no wonder he’s disgruntled…..

In my opinion, not hearing from our CEO in months and a lack of backing by SL in the transfer market, suggests that this is only going one way……another change of manager

Suggest a struggling season battling relegation. This could get toxic quickly. If they expect fans to turn on NP faster than them they'll be in for a nasty surprise - at least in my opinion, especially in lieu of the sale of Scott and Semenyo with next to bare minimal reinvestment.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

it's a forum, it's like chatting down the pub. 

So this forum is like chatting down the pub , if so it would be the most miserable sodding pub on the face of gods earth.

Full of a bunch of miserable negative old gits thinking they know better than anyone  else 

Jeez perspective people 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But we have not got to the Prem when clubs like Luton and Brentford have, true but so have lots of other clubs not got to the prem. 

Yeah, bang on mate. Let's list them:

1. Bristol Rovers

2. Fleetwood

3. Morecombe

4. Forest bleedin Green Rovers

5. Rotherham

6. Shrewsbury

7. Barrow

8. MK Dons

9. Crawley

10. Mansfield Town

11. Newport County

12. Harrogate blinkin Town

13. Are you cottoning on to this now, mate? The only clubs that haven't made it to the top division in the last 30 years are smaller than us, much smaller. Including Plymouth (16,000 on Saturday. Not very big).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just a hunch tbh but I've long assumed and feel free to correct if me wrong, that Gould and NP a much better match, relationship.

New CEO I don't have a huge amount if faith in, he just feels..uninspiring. 

No faith in SL appointing anyone to CEO after Ashton - that simple really.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gould was good though. He was just what we needed and I expect better might have followed had he remained.

Alexander feels a bit underwhelming to date.

Gould knew the area, club, culture, and fans. All that good work is slowly being undone.

• Like 1