IGNORED

Lansdown - decision time

Shuffle

1 hour ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

If we don’t invest this window then things will turn toxic very quick. Everyone knows we need a couple quality signings and abit of creativity 

I agree, but against who? For me it’s SL not NP but not sure the majority of the crowd see it that way?

This is where we will miss Twentyman. He would get him interviewed and roll him over the coals. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Yes. That's the worry. When things go badly Lansdown will be in his Ivory Tower. In Guernsey probably.

That is the issue. Pearson will be the fall guy in the ground……just the way the owner likes it. If it’s as simple as Steve says let’s get Rob Edward’s in. Given our talented squad he would surely relish the chance to piss the league and stay in the Premiership with the hugely talented squad Steve reckons we’ve got!!

Edited by Numero Uno

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

He is but the issue is what does he do? We all knew what Ashton did because he shouted it from the rooftops. Gould to me is a huge loss, someone who worked in the background getting stuff done then conveying it to the fans at the right time. Alexander is Captain Silence.

Who is Phil Alexander?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

As others have said, I don’t see that SL wants to renew NP's contract. Neither do I think NP particularly enjoys losing his best players with the expectation of league one replacements if he's lucky.

So, he'll likely be gone by the end of the season, and I think if he isn't backed to sign a couple of decent players in the next 10 days, he might want to to jack it in early. And I don't see SL standing in his way.

I agree,, if we cant get any quality reinforcements in by the end of the window, i cant see pearson wanting to stick around… maybe im being a cynic and sl is deliberately not going for the signings so this actually happens?

Here's my negative scenario. Purely opinion so could be unduly negative.

SL has decided the spending tap is off for the foreseeable. He wants us to be run in a way that means he needs to put in no cash or equity, be won't steer us into existential concerns but he wants us to be run cash breakeven.

We won't fail FFP, we won't be at risk of insolvency..just what cash comes into the business/club must match or better what cash exits. 

That's not to say we won't make any signings, just he won't be subsidising any longer and we will be as close to self-sufficency in cash terms as possible.

There are far more negative scenarios btw, but this one isn't great.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

And my point was to sell when we are ready, in this case when we would have a midfield capable of competing, which it was Fermin obvious ( now to everyone) that , without Scott, we do not.

Over and out, I’m having a day off.

I know it was, but although we hold the registration, there are two other parties, the player and the bidding club.  You can fend off to an extent.  It takes a helluva loyal player to be happy to stay in the face of furthering their ambitions (and lining their pockets) against the current situation.  Scott was about as loyal as you’re gonna get, playing and training at full-tilt up to the point he got a whack on the knee.

The apparent crime (looking like it’s about to be committed) is to not strengthen the squad that’s left behind.

That would be a travesty.

Nige is certainly being cagey / toeing the line!!!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here's my negative scenario. Purely opinion so could be unduly negative.

SL has decided the spending tap is odd for the foreseeable. He wants us to be run in a way that means he needs to put in no cash or equity, be won't steer us into existential concerns but he wants us to be run cash breakeven.

We won't fail FFP, we won't be at risk of insolvency..just what cash comes into the business/club must match or better what cash exits

I guess on that basis he will be happy in Lg1 ???

• Flames 4

8 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

“Lansdown Out” chants down AG soon if things don’t improve. Gonna get toxic if this carries on much longer.

As much as I'm the first to criticise Mr L if I think he deserves it, I'm not sure that Lansdown Out chants are quite justified.

Being mid table in the Championship with all the debt that Lansdown has written off and the incredibly improved facilities, is hardly deserving of protest. 

I'm not saying he's amazing, and I'm very frustrated with him at times, but he's overseen enough good stuff to let him off the hook a bit.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Lakeside Red said:

I can’t see us getting new owners anytime soon . Now we’re part of Bristol sport no one will want to invest in us they won’t  be interested in the rugby or basket ball that’s going to be the problem ?

A US owner with an interest in a Basketball franchise would be an obvious investor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

As much as I'm the first to criticise Mr L if I think he deserves it, I'm not sure that Lansdown Out chants are quite justified.

Being mid table in the Championship with all the debt that Lansdown has written off and the incredibly improved facilities, is hardly deserving of protest. 

I'm not saying he's amazing, and I'm very frustrated with him at times, but he's overseen enough good stuff to let him off the hook a bit.

It was a bit tongue in cheek TBH, but a lot of City fans I know who have been going for 30+ years are starting to run short of patience. Too many mistakes, bad management decisions by Lansdown. His handling of the Press and media is also dogshite. He really needs a good PR man.
Maybe time for change, even though risky, we all need a bit of hope when watching City - or at least a shot on target! Not much to ask, surely?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fisherrich said:

It was a bit tongue in cheek TBH, but a lot of City fans I know who have been going for 30+ years are starting to run short of patience. Too many mistakes, bad management decisions by Lansdown. His handling of the Press and media is also dogshite. He really needs a good PR man.
Maybe time for change, even though risky, we all need a bit of hope when watching City - or at least a shot on target! Not much to ask, surely?

I think this is where you get a stream of “be careful what you wish for” responses.

Us fans might’ve liked a bit of a rollercoaster ride under a different owner.  Not all of these owners are dodgy and out their clubs at risk.  There is more than one way.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think this is where you get a stream of “be careful what you wish for” responses.

Us fans might’ve liked a bit of a rollercoaster ride under a different owner.  Not all of these owners are dodgy and out their clubs at risk.  There is more than one way.

Ah yea, the “be careful what you wish for” brigade, whose only arguments are to vaguely point at the decade late facilities, or list 5 extreme examples of bad management over the last 20 years. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

It would seem such a bizarre policy decision for NP in conjunction with Gould to clear up the mess.

Then for SL to not give NP a reasonable wedge of the Scott fee across wages, fees etc. I'd love to know his rationale. I really don't understand it one bit if it plays out this way.

The man he would be handing the benefit of the good work too would be almost certainly less experienced, qualified etc.

NP is in a different League to Cotts, similarities but superior. Would be such an error of judgement.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4
  • Flames 3

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It would seem such a bizarre policy decision for NP in conjunction with Gould to clear up the mess.

Then for SL to not give NP a reasonable wedge of the Scott fee across wages, fees etc. I'd love to know his rationale. I really don't understand it one bit if it plays out this way.

perhaps Mr CEO had a word…?

25 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Yeah agreed

It's a precarious position our club is in when we start talking about life after SL. Yes, we've not gone on to gain promotion to the premier League under his ownership, but we have had, for the most part, financial stability. 

I for one am fairly nervous about the prospect of new owners coming in, the rise and fall of certain clubs in recent years due to poor ownership has been alarming. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

It's a precarious position our club is in when we start talking about life after SL. Yes, we've not gone on to gain promotion to the premier League under his ownership, but we have had, for the most part, financial stability. 

I for one am fairly nervous about the prospect of new owners coming in, the rise and fall of certain clubs in recent years due to poor ownership has been alarming. 

Stick or twist?

Twist for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I do agree with your full post but worth recognising the above line in that this spending took years off the club progressing and we are only now just coming out the other side of it

Agreed - however if we by the fact the club were in line with FFP after the Semenyo sale (and willing to try keeping Scott) - surely that leaves some headroom to help out NP with more reinvestment than has occurred and has been rumoured (£1m for Thomason) thus far. Added to the further wage reductions from Baker, Kalas, Bentley, Kose, Martin, Moore and Massengo also fairly outweighing the wages in from Dickie, McCrorie, Roberts, and Knight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lakeside Red said:

I can’t see us getting new owners anytime soon . Now we’re part of Bristol sport no one will want to invest in us they won’t  be interested in the rugby or basket ball that’s going to be the problem ?

Disagree. The club have all the facilities required. Would depend on whether Ashton Gate Limited(?) Would be included as part of the sale.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I have read this several times on here, the term 'proper football owners', but I'm not really sure I know what it means.

Can someone list half a dozen clubs who have proper football owners just so I can understand the term.

Doesn't necassarily need to be owners - although I could name some examples such as Tony Stewart (Rotherham), Tony Bloom (Brighton), Matthew Benham (Brentford), Darragh MacAnthony (Peterborough), Steve Gibson (Middlesbrough), and the recently passed MIllwall Chairman John Berylson.

Other solid owners include the likes of Simon Hallett (Plymouth), Doug King (Coventry - but possibly too early to judge), Andy Holt (Accrington), among others.

All either had philosophies (see Benham, Bloom, Jenkins (former Swansea), MacAnthony, Holt) or were hands off, and accepted consultants or appointed experience CEO/Chairman (See our period under Dawe, Steve Kavanagh under Berylson at MIllwall, our current CEO Alexander under Parish).

Case in point, the previously referenced example of Dawe here - viewed it as stewardship and job - wasnt emotional over involved like how SL tends to act (see Tinnion and LJ Appointmentsa as Manager).

'Proper' owners can be quite a wide and vague term, but its either owners who act as guardians of the club and appoint under themselves and advisors (Millwall), or stratagem and cultural figure heads such as Benham, Bloom, and MacAnthony. SL doesnt have the knowledge or nouse to seemingly appoint under him - see MA for reference who had no controls over him like he now does at Ipswich under O'Leary. Namely because his son is our utterly useless crayon-wielding chairman. Emotions and nepotism never work well in football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if pal Lee is back in charge next summer. Or we end up with Tinnion having his second spell! We need change, and it’s not management. 

My fear is we lose Nige and events in Edinburgh initiate a certain return.

I couldn't watch that happen, I just couldn't. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, red panda said:

Here we go again.  Sorry to pick on you, but my heart sinks so much when I read this kind of thing.  Have you noticed all the other chairs in the Championship making successful appointment after successful appointment?  Perhaps not.  Or have you noticed that only three current Championship managers have been in post for two years or more (and, yes, Nigel is one of them).  Lee Johnson is Marmite on steroids on this board, but I still maintain he was a pretty good appointment (especially considering the state we were in when he took over).  Dean Holden wasn't successful, but was replaced quite quickly and other clubs have gone on to hire him.  We are now an established Championship club, which is huge progress over not that long ago.  And while not all of SL's appointments have succeeded, he hasn't wrecked the club in the way that, say, Southampton's owners have after deciding that Nathan Jones was the man to take them forward ?.

There is no easy recipe for appointing a successful manager.  I contend that, actually, our record isn't that bad at all.  For every Mark Robins there are many other disasters.

I doubt you’ll find a club that makes the same mistake time and time again. Tinnion, Millen, and Holden. The Holden appointment was an utter farce. The time it took and the appointment itself. Even Johnson had no reason to be appointed. And backing him to the hill was crazy which we are still paying for now.

SL does not know how to run a football club. He doesn’t appoint people who know either. What qualifications does our current chairman have? None. Just like a few of the managers he’s appointed. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2