IGNORED

Pearson and Tanner Pre Hull.

petehinton

Just watched NP, he seemed pretty relaxed to me. Don’t know who the second reporter is but Nige seemed particularly ‘smiley’ with him when talking about the injured lads. 

Obviously pissed off with last Saturday, but we’re ok, Nige got this. 

• Like 2

Why would Lansdown extend Pearson’s contract at this point? We’re three games in. If he’s got any sense, he’ll want to see how we’re doing towards the end of the calendar year first. And if we’re doing crap, I’m sure Pearson won’t want to hang around either. 

• Like 1

Just now, mozo said:

We've speculated that perhaps Lansdown is teeing the club up for the prospective new owners. 

If that's the case, then I hope at least it means that a deal is close. Because it has been very quiet on that front for two years now.

I don't think it will ever be close. Junior will eventually get it by default.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

He did say that and his *rse licking of Robins is verging on embarrassing ?

Exactly, so whilst we might be jumping to the wrong conclusion, I think those comments, plus what already know about the character of both men, is sufficient for the assumption not to be regarded as baseless.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

Why would Lansdown extend Pearson’s contract at this point? We’re three games in. If he’s got any sense, he’ll want to see how we’re doing towards the end of the calendar year first. And if we’re doing crap, I’m sure Pearson won’t want to hang around 

I think the argument in favour of Lansdown giving Nige a new deal is that he's watched, from up close, how Nige has fully met the brief given to him over a period of over two seasons. It's not like Nige is going to change in any way now. Either SL rates him or not?

Just playing devil's advocate here but I reckon many will agree.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

You're going to have to jog my memory because I don't recall the wage budget being mentioned publicly prior to the last week or so?

On OTIB we've discussed there being a maximum wage we would pay an individual player and that being decreased in recent years, butI don't recall any discussion about the overall wage limit or any managing of expectations that we were close to that limit despite lowering the overall wage bill? Have I just missed it?

You implied that City fans on OTIB are lauding the Luton example and therefore should be happy with a tight budget. I'm saying I don't think City on OTIB are at all pointing to Luton. It was Lansdown who did that.

I'm not sure why anyone would think Luton's achievement is replicable.

I agree.  Most of the talk from club has been about not breaking FFP, reducing the wage bill to manageable levels being part of that, plus having a structure to work within too.  I don’t think any of us saw selling a player for £20-25m and then hearing we might be at the max of our wage bill.  I’ve always argued that budget is budget, there is no transfer fee war chest like some state.  But I also expect a large windfall to allow budget adjustment, however that is spent.  I thought Nige bringing it up was to stop us paying Alex-tax on new players and existing players contracts.  He might just be being clever, but it no longer feels like that.  It feels like Scott has been sold, he’s accepting of that, but he’s then found out his budget remains the same.

Feels weird!

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Agree 100% with all of this.

OK, Pearson's record is open to question but he has steered us through a "reset" without the usual relegation to League 1.

Lansdown should show NP a little respect by offering NOW a 1 year extension. Up to Pearson then if he signs it or not.

As I've said on FBC Pod I think SL doesn't like NP and running the contract down is a lest cost option even if it triggers another season of mediocrity ror us fans.

It's Lansdown's trainset and he can do what he likes 

Re bold.  You could’ve stopped there.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

Just now, mozo said:

I think the argument in favour of Lansdown giving Nige a new deal is that he's watched, from up close, how Nige has fully met the brief given to him over a period of over two seasons. It's not like Nige is going to change in any way now. Either SL rates him or not?

Just playing devil's advocate here but I reckon many will agree.

But if we’re close to or in the relegation zone in November, I’m sure those same people will be saying we should sack Pearson and ‘why oh why did we extend his contract and waste all that money?’ Personally I’m a Pearson fan but I’m relaxed about his contract situation and I’m sure Pearson is too given what he has said in the past. If we’re doing well, I’m sure it will be extended - assuming Pearson wants to extend it, and if he doesn’t then good luck to him. If he isn’t doing well, I doubt either party will want to extend it - and I doubt most fans will want it either (although personally I would like him to continue assuming we don’t get relegated)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I think you have called it in the italics, Dave.

Thanks, I’m glad you think that might be the case, because I’m really struggling to build some logic! ???

@Hxj out of interest, I agree that Nige is aware of the financial constraints, but do you think that selling Scott might’ve led to some budget adjustment?

Welcome to OTIB, the home of conspiracy theories, or at least if it helps to attack the lasted scapegoat as we have not got one on the pitch

No one knows on here what NP is planning or if he is happy of not, or if he wants to stay beyond the end of his contract, for all we know he may have already intimated this is his last season in football to SL and wants to tick off his bucket list. Equally, SL may want to see how the plans and changes NP has made pans out this season before discussing new contracts.

The changes in wage structure has been implemented by NP perhaps out of necessity but maybe also out of keeping a happy dressing room, NP has said on loads of occasions he does not like bloated squads or loan players.

I think NP sees himself as a manager who creates the environments and structure for the future, with or without him.

If SL does not like NP, he had loads of opportunities to sack NP with the support of a big section of the fan base, as its not all been great

Until the window is closed and we have not signed players we need (if NP actually wants more?), then its a bit early to start wetting your pants and chucking dummies out the pram. Some on here must be the worst poker players or negotiators going if they expect the club to say we are out to spend the Scott money, SL has always backed every manager with funds and if NP says we need to alter the budgets to bring someone in , then I am sure it will happen, otherwise if we get relegated that would be put back at SL's door, which he would not want.

• Robin 1

I think Nige has too much confidence and pride (in a good way!) to let himself becoming a holding manager while Lansdown searches for someone else - he'll suss it, and either walk or just not extend his contract if that's what he feels is happening imo. I don't think he'll be content at all if he feels like he's just holding the fort and doing the dirty work solely for someone else to reap the rewards. I can't see him extending if he doesn't think he's actually going to be supported and have a shot at seeing it through.

If he's building foundations he can then work with in a fair and open manner, even to subsequently move on before the full payback I think that's different... and probably where he feels he's been at so far, but it does feel like there's been a bit of a shift recently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eardun said:

But if we’re close to or in the relegation zone in November, I’m sure those same people will be saying we should sack Pearson and ‘why oh why did we extend his contract and waste all that money?’ Personally I’m a Pearson fan but I’m relaxed about his contract situation and I’m sure Pearson is too given what he has said in the past. If we’re doing well, I’m sure it will be extended - assuming Pearson wants to extend it, and if he doesn’t then good luck to him. If he isn’t doing well, I doubt either party will want to extend it - and I doubt most fans will want it either (although personally I would like him to continue assuming we don’t get relegated)

Really?

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks, I’m glad you think that might be the case, because I’m really struggling to build some logic! ???

@Hxj out of interest, I agree that Nige is aware of the financial constraints, but do you think that selling Scott might’ve led to some budget adjustment?

I'm afraid that I am going to be both flippant and predictable here, Dave. 

My answer is yes, with a manager that Lansdown likes.

Edit: Sorry. Question not asked of me. ?

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

The only reason Lansdown should offer Pearson a new contract is if he thinks that Pearson is the best man for the job next season. Steering us through a difficult reset without relegation does earn respect, but that shouldn't earn a contract for the future. To do as you say is to allow sentiment to rule, and that is not how this Club should be run 

Absolutely.

Which is why, when you lose 9 games in a row (the worst run of defeats in our entire history) or you're 2nd at Xmas and finish 11th or when you're 5th with 6 games to go but only win 1 more and blow the playoffs, the last thing you should do is "allow sentiment to rule". 

Oh wait....

If there's one thing Lansdown has done in all his time it's precisely that - allow sentiment to rule.

I agree, though, it's no way to run a business. 

The fact he'll likely not renew Pearson's contract and get rid of him instead is just another example of that - allowing sentiment to drive the decision (this time his antipathy to the manager, as opposed to his love in with Lee Johnson) rather than basing his decision on whether Pearson is best qualified for the job. 

Given we have a team of basically young uns learning as they go, and a budget that doesn't allow profligate spending, who better to steer our club forward than Pearson - someone who's a brilliant man-manager and who prides himself on never having spent much money anyway?

But will Guernsey see it that way? 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

We've speculated that perhaps Lansdown is teeing the club up for the prospective new owners. 

If that's the case, then I hope at least it means that a deal is close. Because it has been very quiet on that front for two years now.

The problem is he’s only interested in selling a minority stake and wants to maintain control.  Not an appetising prospect if you’re some wealthy big shot.

3 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

Including the 4 already signed earlier that's 6 this transfer window you can't just keep on signing players unless you think there should be 70 players in the 1st team squad.

NP always stated that he would not sign players who were not better than what we already had?  I would rather have seen him sign two quality players who might change things .....    than six average ones.  At one time quite recently we had what i consider 3 game changers?   Scott & Semenyo have gone, and Tommy is out for three months, I don't consider any of our present team in that bracket.  We are an average mid table side, with average coaches......I just hope that someone emerges from the Academy who can excite?    Or we become better than the sum of our parts, by good tactics, effort and coaching......but i am not holding my breath.   (Somewhere between 12th and 16th is probably where will end up)

50 minutes ago, mozo said:

Agree with that but I don't think that's incompatible with a widely held belief that if two players are sold for a combined £35m of profit that a bigger chunk would be spent than has been.

Wages. Wages. Wages.

Wages.

Wages.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, headhunter said:

He did say that and his *rse licking of Robins is verging on embarrassing ?

To praise another manager whilst not even acknowleging the work that NP has done is shit.

He's either stupid or totally ignorant.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

14 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Welcome to OTIB, the home of conspiracy theories, or at least if it helps to attack the lasted scapegoat as we have not got one on the pitch

No one knows on here what NP is planning or if he is happy of not, or if he wants to stay beyond the end of his contract, for all we know he may have already intimated this is his last season in football to SL and wants to tick off his bucket list. Equally, SL may want to see how the plans and changes NP has made pans out this season before discussing new contracts.

The changes in wage structure has been implemented by NP perhaps out of necessity but maybe also out of keeping a happy dressing room, NP has said on loads of occasions he does not like bloated squads or loan players.

I think NP sees himself as a manager who creates the environments and structure for the future, with or without him.

If SL does not like NP, he had loads of opportunities to sack NP with the support of a big section of the fan base, as its not all been great

Until the window is closed and we have not signed players we need (if NP actually wants more?), then its a bit early to start wetting your pants and chucking dummies out the pram. Some on here must be the worst poker players or negotiators going if they expect the club to say we are out to spend the Scott money, SL has always backed every manager with funds and if NP says we need to alter the budgets to bring someone in , then I am sure it will happen, otherwise if we get relegated that would be put back at SL's door, which he would not want.

Did I dream it or did either Pearson or Tinnion saying something along the lines of "We'll have a plan for if Scott goes..." ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

This situation is painful to watch

An absent and, on present evidence, disinterested owner

An excuse for a Board led by another disinterested family member

Owner desperately seeking a buyer - but for what?  City or Bristol Sport

What annoys me most is the total disregard for the fan base, which will still be here, come hell and high water.  Anyone worth their salt would make a full statement on the present and future of City.

I feel ashamed on behalf of City for the way the enormous effort put in by NP to sort the mess out on the football side is ignored by the owner and Chair.  I, for one, believe he is one of the best managers I have seen in over 70 years of following City.  How he keeps optimistic is a mystery to me, so from one older fan, Thanks for everything Nige, but above all thanks for giving us hope.

I agree. We appear not to be thinking that he is the best but one of the best in a collection of three or four since Pat Beasley. Certainly, for me the best in the last twenty five years I don't say that because of winning titles but the way he has promoted the Academy products and his honesty rather than trying to gloss over the bad performances.

I've always understood that Lansdown was the accountant and Hargreaves was the investor. Accountants are those who forecast what the future will be based on historic results. Thus they never "gamble" or take a chance like the investors. Thus he has hardly ever gambled since he took over and look who he chose to gamble for him! No, it's not Pearson. We all know who it was.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

I do feel a bit for NP.

He’s faced with injuries to key players, the heartbreak of losing your best player a week into the new season, then having no money to appropriately replace the quality that’s moved on.

All the good feeling around the place seems to have vanished. It’s as if SL doesn’t want Nige to succeed!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Did I dream it or did either Pearson or Tinnion saying something along the lines of "We'll have a plan for if Scott goes..." ?

That was said, so sure to have an agreement on budget plans and identified players, maybe plans have changed due to injuries or the player they wanted not being available.

NP did not want to lose Alex, as knew he could never replace him, but I think things changed with the injury, whereas we could resist changed to better off getting the deal done, particularly if we had an idea of how long he would be out.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I do feel a bit for NP.

He’s faced with injuries to key players, the heartbreak of losing your best player a week into the new season, then having no money to appropriately replace the quality that’s moved on.

All the good feeling around the place seems to have vanished. It’s as if SL doesn’t want Nige to succeed!

BINGO!!

• Hmmm 1