IGNORED

Pearson and Tanner Pre Hull.

petehinton

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

You're going to have to jog my memory because I don't recall the wage budget being mentioned publicly prior to the last week or so?

On OTIB we've discussed there being a maximum wage we would pay an individual player and that being decreased in recent years, butI don't recall any discussion about the overall wage limit or any managing of expectations that we were close to that limit despite lowering the overall wage bill? Have I just missed it?

You implied that City fans on OTIB are lauding the Luton example and therefore should be happy with a tight budget. I'm saying I don't think City on OTIB are at all pointing to Luton. It was Lansdown who did that.

I'm not sure why anyone would think Luton's achievement is replicable.

I can't speak and wont speak for anyone but I did imply fans generally profess they want a sustainable club and referenced Luton.

I do genuinely want a sustainable club not just going back to spending every penny we get again on expensive signings and more importantly wages.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Where does your inside knowledge come from?

I don’t have any , just an assumption based on what hear, read and see. May possibly be 2+ 2 and not getting 4 but my rationale:

Pearson has a year left on his contract , there appears no desire to commence contract negotiations. Pearson has been publicly critical of  Lansdown jnr in media interviews and also of te mess he inherited (rightly so). Lansdown snr for me was not exactly complimentary of Pearson during the last interview he did with Twentyman at the end of last season. 
We’ve raised significant money in transfer market for Semenyo (acknowledge we used that money in January) plus Scott recently. Whilst I don’t expect us to spend it all but we have gaps in the squad for me / short term striker defence / long term GK and creativity in midfield. For us to be talking a week before the deadline oh no more incoming is a concern. As I say I’m looking at the above and does Lansdown think we’ll stay up, replace Pearson with ‘X’ and a transfer kitty to temp - May be completely wrong and hope I am 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Pearson didn’t look a happy bunny in that interview did he christ. I hate to say this as i really want Pearson to stay and continue to build something but this does feel like the beginning of the end for Nige IMO.

Sorry but this is complete rubbish. I’ve just watched the interview & he’s exactly the same as every other interview. So many bedwetters reading into things that are not there. 
as for some crying about signings . He’s said again what’s been said all along . We’re at the top end of our wage budget . Please tell me where he’s so unhappy on this interview, complete tripe . 

On another note , where this “rumour” that SL won’t renew NP’s contract . 

It was a poor result of course on Saturday but some of the hysteria on here is ******* laughable . 

• Like 15
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

As I've said on FBC Pod I think SL doesn't like NP and running the contract down is a lest cost option even if it triggers another season of mediocrity ror us fans.

There is absolutely nothing of any substance that SL doesn't like NP. Nothing at all. 

I just don't think they've developed a relationship like Lansdown did with past managers due to Lansdown being less hands on and spending less and less time in this country. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Listened to both.

Tanner’s fairly standard

Nige a bit subdued, tetchy.  Think media knew this was one to tread a bit lightly!!!

He sounded strained like someone who’s dealing with a difficult board & trying to manage different outward perceptions 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

We have a wage structure and we're sticking to it and not going beyond that. Yes we've sold a player for £20 million but we are still heavily losing money as a club.. if we go and sign 5 more players as suggested by some fans on potentially 10 or 15 grand on 3/4 year contracts after just shifting the big wages we have what is the point. We could end up in exactly the same place in 2027/28 which would be madness.

Fans on here always reference Luton and say that should be the model to follow. Do you not think they had a very conservative wage structure compared to every other team in the Championship? Fans profess they want a sustainable club but when that finally starts happening their not happy. They don't want sustainability they only want success by any means necessary. Unfortunately only 3 teams in this league are successful and more often than not its the parachute payment clubs that do it.

We are only losing money because of the utter rubbish decisions Steve has made in the past,

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

There is absolutely nothing of any substance that SL doesn't like NP. Nothing at all. 

I just don't think they've developed a relationship like Lansdown did with past managers due to Lansdown being less hands on and spending less and less time in this country. 

Do you mean the Johnson managers, I can’t think of any other managers we’ve had who he’s been friendly with 

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'd base it on the fact we're already into the last year of his contract and there have been no discussions to extend it

And why couldn't that be the other way round? Is it inconceivable that Nigel may want to retire? (By the way for clarity I'm not suggesting that either) surely that's equally plausible. Just because his contract hasn't been discussed to be extended doesn't mean its because SL is not renewing NP's contract due some issue.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Lansdown should show NP a little respect by offering NOW a 1 year extension. Up to Pearson then if he signs it or not.

The only reason Lansdown should offer Pearson a new contract is if he thinks that Pearson is the best man for the job next season. Steering us through a difficult reset without relegation does earn respect, but that shouldn't earn a contract for the future. To do as you say is to allow sentiment to rule, and that is not how this Club should be run in my opinion.

If he doesn't think Pearson is the best man for next season then use the next 9 months to build a solid foundation, with a decent squad, that has room to be developed as a new manager sees fit, and to consider who that next person should be.

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

You're going to have to jog my memory because I don't recall the wage budget being mentioned publicly prior to the last week or so?

On OTIB we've discussed there being a maximum wage we would pay an individual player and that being decreased in recent years, butI don't recall any discussion about the overall wage limit or any managing of expectations that we were close to that limit despite lowering the overall wage bill? Have I just missed it?

You implied that City fans on OTIB are lauding the Luton example and therefore should be happy with a tight budget. I'm saying I don't think City on OTIB are at all pointing to Luton. It was Lansdown who did that.

I'm not sure why anyone would think Luton's achievement is replicable.

I’m sorry, I don’t really get your point. We’ve been told over a long period of time that we are adopting a cautious and sustainable approach which will not include a large budget in windows and scattergun spending sprees. As Nige explained today, it’s wrong to think of ‘budget’ strictly as transfer fees. Caution is obviously going to be applied everywhere and it’s always been safe to assume that will extend to wages, otherwise it isn’t caution. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I can't speak and wont speak for anyone but I did imply fans generally profess they want a sustainable club and referenced Luton.

I do genuinely want a sustainable club not just going back to spending every penny we get again on expensive signings and more importantly wages.

That's fair enough. Both of us know that if City have a bog standard mid table season or worse, the fans won't be chanting "We're by far the greatest team, when it comes to FFP, and it's..."

Or "We're shit, but we're financially prudent, we're shit, but..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, wtf said:

We are only losing money because of the utter rubbish decisions Steve has made in the past,

That's not wholly accurate tbh, to an extent it is but the Championship and Financial stability and wisdom? That's a good joke.

Stoke City burnt through £33m in cash balance in 2021-22. For what? A midtable finish.

As a a Championship regular side the changes are that over go me you will lose money both in cash and profit.

Not every year but most and certainly more often than not. Individual years may differ.

Now had we gone up and stayed up or become a yoyo club.. maybe.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

"We don't always see eye to eye" - isn't that what Lansdown said before going on to praise the management of Mark Robins?

• Like 4

I’m not sure what people are expecting. Pearson has been clear for a while now that due to our wage structure/cap there is a limit to what we can do. Quite frankly I’m pleasantly surprised that we managed to get Taylor in. How many times does he need to say this for the penny to drop? I’ve even seen people moan that we haven’t replaced Scott with someone as good as Scott. What planet are some people on? As for Pearson not being particularly ‘happy’ in the press conference - would you be happy after that Birmingham performance and result? He’ll be happier if we win on Friday. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

I’m sorry, I don’t really get your point. We’ve been told over a long period of time that we are adopting a cautious and sustainable approach which will not include a large budget in windows and scattergun spending sprees. As Nige explained today, it’s wrong to think of ‘budget’ strictly as transfer fees. Caution is obviously going to be applied everywhere and it’s always been safe to assume that will extend to wages, otherwise it isn’t caution. 

Agree with that but I don't think that's incompatible with a widely held belief that if two players are sold for a combined £35m of profit that a bigger chunk would be spent than has been.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

That's fair enough. Both of us know that if City have a bog standard mid table season or worse, the fans won't be chanting "We're by far the greatest team, when it comes to FFP, and it's..."

Or "We're shit, but we're financially prudent, we're shit, but..."

That's fair I get it and that's made me chuckle at the thought of that being chanted.

I'd love it more than anyone for us to be the greatest team in the league for real but I believe we have to be somewhat prudent in my opinion. It was disgusting in my eyes that our clubs name was even in the discussion for potentially failing FFP based on decisions made by Ashton and of course Steve.

2 hours ago, daored said:

Personally I would be offering Pearson a new contract , with the mess he inherited I believe he deserves the opportunity to build a team.

However, I don’t get the impression all is well in the relationship between owner, chairman & manager and I’d be surprised if Pearson is in charge of Bristol city next season. As for why not do it now , cost I guess if the board believe we have the squad that will be in no danger of relegation why go through the expense of replacing Pearson & coaching staff? 

This has a massive risk of completely undoing all the work beehind the scenes, from the squad/club culture aspect if true - echoes of close-season 20/21 all over again. Why would players give 110% for a manager if they know he wont be there next season?

From that perspective - as others have echoed - if I was NP, I'd step aside now if not being backed. And from the club perspective it makes less sense, as may as well transition to a new manager now if they (CEO/Ownership) aren't happy with the dynamic.

Seems like especially poor planning if it turns out to be true. Could it work? - Sure. But much riskier than need be.

2 hours ago, Port Red said:

Didn't Nige say the same last week about being up to the budget on wages, he has already signed one since and another in Murphy is due in imminently.

I'm hoping too that it's more bluff than fact.

Thats assuming WBA arent paying a portion of the wages. Which may be why there's a decent chuck initial fee?

3 hours ago, daored said:

Discussed this on another thread with @Davefevs, believe the club will not be extending Pearson’s contract and decision made to offer any funds the new manager. Let’s hope it doesn’t backfire 

To be clear, I’m not really sure what is gonna happen.  I was certainly worried that we might not be making any signings after Scott’s sale, so I’m a bit relieved we’ve signed one - TGH.  I’d have liked one more, a CB. And it looks like we won’t be doing any more business, perhaps other than Murphy from St Pats.

Was chatting with @headhunterearlier and there is a feeling of instability.  It almost feels like SL is making it hard for Nige, unnecessarily so.  It feels like his plan is - I’m not giving him any money, if the team struggle, I’ll replace Nige.  If Nige does well, then he doesn’t need the money anyway.

If it were me I’d be thinking about discussing extensions…if only to ensure Nige is interested in carrying on.

It’s all a bit confusing if I’m being honest.  Normally I have a logic as to what’s going on…even if I’m totally wrong over time…but I can’t call it at all at this point. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

To be clear, I’m not really sure what is gonna happen.  I was certainly worried that we might not be making any signings after Scott’s sale, so I’m a bit relieved we’ve signed one - TGH.  I’d have liked one more, a CB. And it looks like we won’t be doing any more business, perhaps other than Murphy from St Pats.

Was chatting with @headhunterearlier and there is a feeling of instability.  It almost feels like SL is making it hard for Nige, unnecessarily so.  It feels like his plan is - I’m not giving him any money, if the team struggle, I’ll replace Nige.  If Nige does well, then he doesn’t need the money anyway.

If it were me I’d be thinking about discussing extensions…if only to ensure Nige is interested in carrying on.

It’s all a bit confusing if I’m being honest.  Normally I have a logic as to what’s going on…even if I’m totally wrong over time…but I can’t call it at all at this point. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

I think you have called it in the italics, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

And why couldn't that be the other way round? Is it inconceivable that Nigel may want to retire? (By the way for clarity I'm not suggesting that either) surely that's equally plausible. Just because his contract hasn't been discussed to be extended doesn't mean its because SL is not renewing NP's contract due some issue.

Contract doesnt need to expire in leiu of a retirement decision. Nothing prevents giving NP a season extension this summer - he could still, if he so wished, retire at the end of this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

This has a massive risk of completely undoing all the work beehind the scenes, from the squad/club culture aspect if true - echoes of close-season 20/21 all over again. Why would players give 110% for a manager if they know he wont be there next season?

From that perspective - as others have echoed - if I was NP, I'd step aside now if not being backed. And from the club perspective it makes less sense, as may as well transition to a new manager now if they (CEO/Ownership) aren't happy with the dynamic.

Seems like especially poor planning if it turns out to be true. Could it work? - Sure. But much riskier than need be.

My nightmare scenario is that we end the season newly managerless, with no preparation made for a replacement manager. Temporarily appoint one of the coaches, who isn't  able to make any signings (as we don't know what the new gaffer wants), interview a few likely candidates by end of next August, before our CEO utters those immortal words ...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

My nightmare scenario is that we end the season newly managerless, with no preparation made for a replacement manager. Temporarily appoint one of the coaches, who isn't  able to make any signings (as we don't know what the new gaffer wants), interview a few likely candidates by end of next August, before our CEO utters those immortal words ...

If we promote Euell from within. I'm off to support Manor Farm.

• Haha 2