IGNORED

Pearson and Tanner Pre Hull.

petehinton

Just now, mozo said:

They're not as thick as me because I still don't understand what Nige referring to when he says there's no budget for wages and why 25m of pure profit doesn't increase that budget.

Yes but how many times can he say the same thing and how many times do the journalists need to hear it?  The Lansdowns aren’t giving anymore money to spend for reasons only they know. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Just a reminder this is all speculation from fans on the potential lack of contract extension for Nige so I wouldn't get that wound up. If so perhaps it's his decision more than ours? We will find out sooner rather than later and that will be the time to get annoyed..

Wise words and indeed true. 

But I would suggest that if it is his decision, it would be down to more than his 'bucket list'.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Thanks Robbo, it didn't need correcting, especially with bollocks. Do you really think any win at Millwall is lucky?

We're short of attacking threat and have zero presence in midfield. I wasn't at 'Wall but the stats tell a story. I did watch the Preston game and can say we were very lucky to get a draw - the traffic was almost entirely one way. We were poor. 

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

We're short of attacking threat and have zero presence in midfield. I wasn't at 'Wall but the stats tell a story. I did watch the Preston game and can say we were very lucky to get a draw - the traffic was almost entirely one way. We were poor. 

Everyone (those who's judgement I trust) said we controlled the game well and deserved the win. The stats mean nothing at the end of the season. We went to Millwall and won and even the Millwall fans admitted we deserved it. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

They're not as thick as me because I still don't understand what Nige referring to when he says there's no budget for wages and why 25m of pure profit doesn't increase that budget.

And they're also thick because, when told there's no headroom left in the wage budget, they can't think to ask whether that's because 1) we've chosen not to pay any more, or 2) we can't pay any more (cos we're at our ffp max)

I can't believe it's 2, so if it's 1 that opens up endless possible questions - instead of "when will injured player x be fit again?"

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Everyone (those who's judgement I trust) said we controlled the game well and deserved the win. The stats mean nothing at the end of the season. We went to Millwall and won and even the Millwall fans admitted we deserved it. 

So, the bad games were our two home games then, which is what I wrote.

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

We have a wage structure and we're sticking to it and not going beyond that. Yes we've sold a player for £20 million but we are still heavily losing money as a club.. if we go and sign 5 more players as suggested by some fans on potentially 10 or 15 grand on 3/4 year contracts after just shifting the big wages we have what is the point. We could end up in exactly the same place in 2027/28 which would be madness.

Fans on here always reference Luton and say that should be the model to follow. Do you not think they had a very conservative wage structure compared to every other team in the Championship? Fans profess they want a sustainable club but when that finally starts happening their not happy. They don't want sustainability they only want success by any means necessary. Unfortunately only 3 teams in this league are successful and more often than not its the parachute payment clubs that do it.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yes but how many times can he say the same thing and how many times do the journalists need to hear it?  The Lansdowns aren’t giving anymore money to spend for reasons only they know. 

Only they know.

The rest of us have a horrible idea.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nige a bit subdued, tetchy.  Think media knew this was one to tread a bit lightly!!!

Agreed but the journos still make me despair because they had an easy opportunity to lighten the mood  but instead managed to miss an open goal, a slam dunk gimme of an open goal: 

"Happy Birthday for Monday, Nige"

""How was your birthday, Nige?"

"Do anything nice for your birthday, Nige?"

It's so bleedin obvious they must be as thick as mince not to have thought of it. Or petrified of him.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Consider we signed someone yesterday and about to sign another, how can you even say he hasn't been backed,

That would make 6 players through the door, they didn't come free and the club is still losing 300k a week,

And how many have left , Baker, Klose , Kallas , DaSilva , Moore , Scott , (that’s six) plus wage reductions for others. Nigel Pearson has certainly not been backed, and I would be ( happily) surprised if he renews his contract. 

This club, the one I have supported from boyhood, is going nowhere, wake up and smell the coffin( that was predictive text , but I think I’ll keep it)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, Better Red said:

We are only short - 

Striker (on loan will do)

Decent Away Kit.

To replace Scott type we could have to move someone/a few  on - Cornick, Tanner , Naismith….

Also love to see Kalas resign and better Keeper.

Quiet a lot to do really.

Move Tanner and Naismith  on are you sure?? Cornick has his good and bad days but Tanner and Naismith??

8 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

We have a wage structure and we're sticking to it and not going beyond that. Yes we've sold a player for £20 million but we are still heavily losing money as a club.. if we go and sign 5 more players as suggested by some fans on potentially 10 or 15 grand on 3/4 year contracts after just shifting the big wages we have what is the point. We could end up in exactly the same place in 2027/28 which would be madness.

Fans on here always reference Luton and say that should be the model to follow. Do you not think they had a very conservative wage structure compared to every other team in the Championship? Fans profess they want a sustainable club but when that finally starts happening their not happy. They don't want sustainability they only want success by any means necessary. Unfortunately only 3 teams in this league are successful and more often than not its the parachute payment clubs that do it.

I'm not convinced our fans want to replicate Luton? Brentford maybe.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Fans on here always reference Luton and say that should be the model to follow. Do you not think they had a very conservative wage structure compared to every other team in the Championship? Fans profess they want a sustainable club but when that finally starts happening their not happy. They don't want sustainable they only want successful by any means necessary. Unfortunately only 3 teams in this league are successful and more often than not its the parachute payment clubs that do it.

Plus we’ve had complete clarity about this strategy for about two years now. It’s not like we’ve been told as soon as we sell a player for decent money we go back to scattergun spending sprees. Nige in the Hull presser seemed as happy as he always has been to adhere. He’s said in the past challenging may not be possible with this system and he’s fully aware of that but he believes it’s the right way to sustain a football club. I don’t understand where these ideas of a tetchy relationship between board and Pearson are coming from besides reputations.

Fans talk about being fearful of throwing away our good work recently, so understand the severity of where we’ve come from, but in the same breath demand stretched funds. It all seems so dramatic and typical of our fan base after a poor performance. The conspiracies come out, everything goes so existential. 

It’s not like we’re exclusively in the free agent market either, yesterday we spent just shy of a million on a loan.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm not convinced our fans want to replicate Luton? Brentford maybe.

Promotion?

Brentford is another brilliant model to follow but they gambled on promotion in 20/21 and ffp would have caught up had they not got promoted, definitely would have had to balance the books by selling players. We gambled not long ago before that spending 8 million on Kalas, wasting millions on Palmer and HNM, Nagy ect. Were only just getting shot of those players. That's the point I'm making.

38 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I think that we are indeed short of quality in the GK department, but not necessarily because of the understudies. 

I have never rated Max O'Leary. But the argument always used to be that he never had a run in the team. Well, now he has. And I still don't rate him. I don't think that he is awful, but I still believe that he is a League One keeper at best. 

Both of the understudies are unknown to most. But at least there are two of them.

Agreed. Not sure what Nige sees in him tbh he is a liability and an accident waiting to happen. Why we didn’t go in for Jack Butland on a free I will never know…

• Admin
1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

The journalists are so thick. If someone has already asked him about budget then what is the point of the second guy asking if he’d gonna sign a centre back?!

My guess is that they have prepared some questions before the interview starts and don't have the understanding of the situation to adapt any subsequent questions 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

Plus we’ve had complete clarity about this strategy for about two years now. It’s not like we’ve been told as soon as we sell a player for decent money we go back to scattergun spending sprees. Nige in the Hull presser seemed as happy as he always has been to adhere. He’s said in the past challenging may not be possible with this system and he’s fully aware of that but he believes it’s the right way to sustain a football club. I don’t understand where these ideas of a tetchy relationship between board and Pearson are coming from besides reputations.

Fans talk about being fearful of throwing away our good work recently, so understand the severity of where we’ve come from, but in the same breath demand stretched funds. It all seems so dramatic and typical of our fan base after a poor performance. The conspiracies come out, everything goes so existential. 

It’s not like we’re exclusively in the free agent market either, yesterday we spent just shy of a million on a loan.

Couldn't agree more in another topic I posted he looks exactly the same as always when other posters were saying how he looks more annoyed than usual.

He's always slightly confrontational with the press, he reiterates the same points time after time. He's known to expand for a long time in his responses. He cuts off reporters mid question. Nothing out of the ordinary.

As you say the conspiracies come out after a loss that there must be friction behind the scenes ect ect. I think its more like their own attitude about the club following the recent loss is making them think or see something that isn't there.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

Plus we’ve had complete clarity about this strategy for about two years now. 

You're going to have to jog my memory because I don't recall the wage budget being mentioned publicly prior to the last week or so?

On OTIB we've discussed there being a maximum wage we would pay an individual player and that being decreased in recent years, butI don't recall any discussion about the overall wage limit or any managing of expectations that we were close to that limit despite lowering the overall wage bill? Have I just missed it?

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Promotion?

You implied that City fans on OTIB are lauding the Luton example and therefore should be happy with a tight budget. I'm saying I don't think City on OTIB are at all pointing to Luton. It was Lansdown who did that.

I'm not sure why anyone would think Luton's achievement is replicable.

• Like 2

Am genuinely conflicted.

Well we cannot and must not go back to the Johnson and Ashton days that's a given. We must stay within FFP at all times and we must give ourselves a bit of margin for error too.

Academy producing as it is? That's fantastic. We should take some pride IMO.

Tanner, Atkinson, Roberts, Gardner-Hickman Knight and Mehmeti all are positive additions within the age bracket. McCrorie (injured but hopefully) and Dickie certainly a bit older but again positive.

Will Murphy be first team ready? Who knows.

Is it enough to be pushing for top 6 this year? Well the jury is out. The League has moved forward and pace and depth of recruitment across rhe League or a lot of it has gone up a gear in the last month. We need a bit more here and now too but let's see.

Then there are the injuries, if we have a thinnish squad of this profile we need to be pretty consistent and the injures need to be lower as far as possible.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, daored said:

Personally I would be offering Pearson a new contract , with the mess he inherited I believe he deserves the opportunity to build a team.

However, I don’t get the impression all is well in the relationship between owner, chairman & manager and I’d be surprised if Pearson is in charge of Bristol city next season. As for why not do it now , cost I guess if the board believe we have the squad that will be in no danger of relegation why go through the expense of replacing Pearson & coaching staff? 

Agree 100% with all of this.

OK, Pearson's record is open to question but he has steered us through a "reset" without the usual relegation to League 1.

Lansdown should show NP a little respect by offering NOW a 1 year extension. Up to Pearson then if he signs it or not.

As I've said on FBC Pod I think SL doesn't like NP and running the contract down is a lest cost option even if it triggers another season of mediocrity ror us fans.

It's Lansdown's trainset and he can do what he likes