IGNORED

Am I the only one?

The hand of RO'D

1 hour ago, prankerd said:

There is no chance in hell that the last 2 home games have been the worst you have ever seen at city, stop being so dramatic, theres fans like southend who have just got a 10 point deduction and dont know whether they will be a club in the future and your neighbour is thinking of ending his season ticket because of a boring 1-1 draw and a loss to Birmingham ? i guess he doesnt watch away games then, didnt like millwall or oxford? 

We have lost our best player, got countless injuries to important players and your panicking and moaning after 3 games!

I didn't say they were the worst home games I've seen. I watched Cardiff tonk us 0-6. I've seen us lose to the Gas many times. I've seen us struggle against lower and non-league clubs in cups.

It isn't that "we're the worst we've ever been", it is the fact my expectations were high but now they are not. They say it is the hope that kills you, and by the same logic the lack of hope for a Top 6 challenging season after two seasons of bouncing around mid-table leaves me (and I know I'm not alone) feeling flat and uninspired. Alex Scott out and Taylor Gardner-Hickman in sort of sums up the blah, I feel currently about City.  Not living in Bristol, myself and the guys usually make a day out of it when we come to games. The last two, we've just come up, watched the match, driven straight back. No one felt like a pint.

It's a long season, so hopefully we'll all be feeling differently before long.  I'm not pancicking. Just explaining why I and others aren't feeling much excitement currently. The hushed tones at AG tell the story as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve supported City for over 30 years and been on this forum for well over 10 years.  I think it’s pretty easy to predict the mood by league position for the season ahead.  So I’ve got a good idea what will happen in those circumstances. 

OK, if it means anything I've been a City fan over 50 years and on this forum since it started 20 years ago, and it's predecessors before that.

There will always be a percentage of fans who don't like a particular manager, or whose expectations are unrealistic, who are just waiting for the moment to start threads calling for his head.

Though perhaps relatively few in number these posters may flood the forum with threads calling for a sacking if we are mid table after 20 games, however that doesn't mean they are right or that the majority will support them. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, The hand of RO'D said:

I can’t say I’ve seen us booed off the pitch twice in our 2 opening homes games at any point before. Guess I’m not in the minority in regards to Pearson when it comes to fans at the gate as much as I am with people on this forum it seems.

Interesting that…

Were they booed off the Preston game because of the performance or was it for the referee? Genuine question I wasn't entirely sure... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

But I don't think I've walked out down Winterstoke Road more pissed off, bored and thinking "why am I doing this" than the last two home games.

It isn't just me either. My neighbour in the Dolman said he thinks this might be his last season as a STH. He's been going for years. 

Given that we've had a lot worse sides than we have now, I've tried to justify my feelings. 

I think it's because we - the fanbase - had our expectations high this season and the AG results and the general atmosphere surrounding the club at present just seems as flat as ****. 

I think expectations were justifiably quite high for this season, not for play offs imo but at least for a far more enjoyable season.

But the football God's do seem to be against us as just at the moment of well founded optimism we suffer a series of below the belt sucker punches that completely deflate us.

Fans favourite and likely top scorer Tommy picks up a long term injury, big new signing McCrorie's completely unexpected and unusual long term absence, Scott sold with no sign of a reasonable amount of that money being given to the manager, just as thing's seem to be coming together nicely one big deflationary blow after another, resulting in a dull season in prospect.

The bigger problem is many of us have been uninspired by SL's City for years, maybe since Cotts, having sat through so many seasons of mostly boring football and poor results at AG, and having our hopes to actually enjoy ourselves at AG again seemingly dashed so quickly has left little enthusiasm for the season ahead, and in some cases for BCFC at all.

SL needs to pull his finger out, and quickly, or this disenchantment will turn to anger.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

OK, if it means anything I've been a City fan over 50 years and on this forum since it started 20 years ago, and it's predecessors before that.

There will always be a percentage of fans who don't like a particular manager, or whose expectations are unrealistic, who are just waiting for the moment to start threads calling for his head.

Though perhaps relatively few in number these posters may flood the forum with threads calling for a sacking if we are mid table after 20 games, however that doesn't mean they are right or that the majority will support them. 

Let’s see when the booing starts! 

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think expectations were justifiably quite high for this season, not for play offs imo but at least for a far more enjoyable season.

But the football God's do seem to be against us as just at the moment of well founded optimism we suffer a series of below the belt sucker punches that completely deflate us.

Fans favourite and likely top scorer Tommy picks up a long term injury, big new signing McCrorie's completely unexpected and unusual long term absence, Scott sold with no sign of a reasonable amount of that money being given to the manager, just as thing's seem to be coming together nicely one big deflationary blow after another, resulting in a dull season in prospect.

The bigger problem is many of us have been uninspired by SL's City for years, maybe since Cotts, having sat through so many seasons of mostly boring football and poor results at AG, and having our hopes to actually enjoy ourselves at AG again seemingly dashed so quickly has left little enthusiasm for the season ahead, and in some cases for BCFC at all.

SL needs to pull his finger out, and quickly, or this disenchantment will turn to anger.

I think your post is a bit glass half empty if I'm honest although I totally agree that SL needs to act and act fast in backing NP this final week of the market. Championship seasons have been hit and miss IMO and the injuries you are very right. We all need a bit of a lift.

Nothing knee-jerk, no crazy spending spree but two or three well financed yet sensible additions in priority positions should be the goal. If it is loans so be it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nail on head.

The final 18 months of LJ's reign were utter tedium, when he went, it was the opportunity to kick the club on. Then we all know what happened with the lengthy process to appoint Deano.

That was the point that I lost any faith in SL and his desire to acheive his often stated ambition to reach the Premier League. It's all hot air, and it now looks like another season of mediocrity, due to not backing the manager, unless NP can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Hopefully a final throw of the dice by Nige until he gets to enjoy a well earned retirement.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Were they booed off the Preston game because of the performance or was it for the referee? Genuine question I wasn't entirely sure... 

If you weren’t sure then, surely the chorus of boos at FT in the Birmingham game would stamp home fans aren’t happy with how the team have played in the opening 2 home games?

20 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I can’t say I’ve seen us booed off the pitch twice in our 2 opening homes games at any point before. Guess I’m not in the minority in regards to Pearson when it comes to fans at the gate as much as I am with people on this forum it seems.

Interesting that…

I guess result (loss v Brum) or change in result (win to draw v Preston) has a big influence on the post game reaction, just like at Millwall, where I think most people will have gone away happy with a point and felt a tad disappointed we didn’t get all three points, to then get an injury time winner suddenly changes to euphoria.

Also, it’s not like everyone was booing, but enough to make it noticeable.  It was probably the minority booing on Saturday, just feels like more.

Personally I don’t think it helps one bit, but fans are perfectly entitled to voice their opinion.

Don't get me wrong, we made too many mistakes / Birmingham forced us into too many mistakes, so I’m not suggesting we deserved anything.  But just imagine, down to 10-men, we get an equaliser with Wells chance.  The mood changes.  Birmingham, like Preston were cramping up.  We are at least fit.  What was the game where Fam got sent off, 1-0 down and we went into win 2-1 with a great Brownhill goal late on (Charlton?.

Fine margins as an expression is a bit bollox, but it does have some truth!

The good thing is we have the chance to try to put some of the wrong things right tonight.  I want to see progress / improvement.  Just because I’m not saying it’s piss-poor (which is extreme imho) it doesn’t mean I’m satisfied either.  Sometimes there is so much criticism / negativity / moaning, I feel a duty to present some balance.

To me it makes no difference if I’ve got a short round trip to Downend or others have much longer, i still feel it after a defeat.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Also, it’s not like everyone was booing, but enough to make it noticeable.  It was probably the minority booing on Saturday, just feels like more.

Personally I don’t think it helps one bit, but fans are perfectly entitled to voice their opinion.

Yeah, only a few 'on the boos', and tbh you always get that after a loss.  Even in the double season, there were a few when we lost that one game at home to Preston. Maybe they were being ironic.

I don't really see that sort of booing as directed at anyone. More sort of general disgruntlement at having watched a loss. And you get it all clubs.

When folks turn on the manager - or owner - the booing is far more widespread, louder and is peppered with shouts of abuse.

We're not at that stage here yet. Nowhere near. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've seen us in lower leagues, I've seen us thrashed by more, I've seen us in a lot worse situations. 

But I don't think I've walked out down Winterstoke Road more pissed off, bored and thinking "why am I doing this" than the last two home games.

It isn't just me either. My neighbour in the Dolman said he thinks this might be his last season as a STH. He's been going for years. 

Given that we've had a lot worse sides than we have now, I've tried to justify my feelings. 

I think it's because we - the fanbase - had our expectations high this season and the AG results and the general atmosphere surrounding the club at present just seems as flat as ****.  Even Pearson's last interview after the Birmingham defeat sounded as boring and as uninterested as could be.

Entitled some might say. But my response is if you pay the best part of £600 + the travel, the time, the other expenses, to see your club, you are entitled to think those in charge of it at least give a shit. 

I'm long in the tooth enough to know that this ennui could soon dissipate with a couple of lively results. 

But my point is that the OP is certainly not alone with feeling it. 

'Bored' hits the nail on the head. I thought the atmosphere before the Preston game was great. Then, absolutely nothing to get excited about for 42 minutes (until Sam missed his chance). I can't remember a home game like this. We were all sitting there thinking 'really? Is this seriously it?' Then it happened again, but worse, last Saturday.

I suppose that's what happens when you sell Antoine and AS, and TC is injured, and the players you bring you in are limited willing runners. 

Room for improvement...and a little bit of excitement. Please.

Edited by firstdivision
  • Like 2

If the Lansdownes keep interfering, I reckon Nige will be gone. Lansdown has a history of meddling in football matters at Bristol City FC. Nige P has done a great job when you remember the shitshow he inherited. Lansdown, Ashton & Johnson screwed it up.

People need to remember just how bad Bristol City FC has been run - it has been a shambles for years. Richard Gould should take a lot of credit for the job he did with Nige P in sorting out the finances, players and staff.

Lansdown should keep out of the running of the football club and leave those who know what they are talking about to run it. Time for a new owner IMO.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

If the Lansdownes keep interfering, I reckon Nige will be gone. Lansdown has a history of meddling in football matters at Bristol City FC. Nige P has done a great job when you remember the shitshow he inherited. Lansdown, Ashton & Johnson screwed it up.

People need to remember just how bad Bristol City FC has been run - it has been a shambles for years. Richard Gould should take a lot of credit for the job he did with Nige P in sorting out the finances, players and staff.

Lansdown should keep out of the running of the football club and leave those who know what they are talking about to run it. Time for a new owner IMO.

Good luck in finding an owner who keeps out of the running of his or her business!! ???

18 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I genuinely appreciate the job he’s done. But can you honestly hand on heart say we’ve progressed on the pitch under Pearson?

Yes.

We were decent and enjoyable to watch in the second half of last season. We are much more defensively solid now. We look fitter and more mobile. We’ve introduced various younger players into the team, who are doing well and have more experience. Some players have improved significantly under Pearson, e.g. Vyner. We are attracting and acquiring decent young players. We are only 3 games into this season - having won, lost and drawn one; we’ve had worse starts to seasons. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The solution is try a different route, Winterstoke Road is boring! ???

I agree.  Walking across the park is more aesthetically pleasing. But then I'd be walking in the opposite direction to the car.

Might try the bus again for WBA. Anything might seem better with a few pints on board. 

• Robin 1

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I agree.  Walking across the park is more aesthetically pleasing. But then I'd be walking in the opposite direction to the car.

Might try the bus again for WBA. Anything might seem better with a few pints on board. 

That’s the spirit.  Wear your lucky socks too.

• Like 1

I won’t pretend to understand all the minutiae around what’s available financially for Pearson, but I think we can all agree he’s had to get by with a much reduced budget. He appears to have trimmed everything and stuck to the brief financially. So why have we never heard SL say anything in support of NP about the job he’s done. 

SL will not have taken kindly to the home truths NP has let slip now and again, about the running of the club and I can’t help but feel he’s far happier with younger managers that he can throw more money at to try and prove a point (LJ being one). 

I understand the thought that there could be someone else who could do a better job, but there are absolutely no guarantees.

Personally the idea of getting rid of NP scares me much more than holding onto him. Given the clubs track record in recent years doesn’t fill me with any confidence at all, that they’d choose wisely in replacing him and we’d be going through the whole process all over again.

Edited by JP Hampton

35 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes ,

By clowns like you

’ I’ve watched City for nearly 5 years and we still haven’t got to the Premier League Mwahhhhhhhh Mwahhhhhhh’

I don’t get your point? You could have said the same thing 5 years ago. And 5 years before that….and before that. Are you just happy were a football team that just merely exists or at what point do you want some ambition?

9 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I don’t get your point? You could have said the same thing 5 years ago. And 5 years before that….and before that. Are you just happy were a football team that just merely exists or at what point do you want some ambition?

A question for our long time owner and decision maker SL perhaps?

But you seem to be questioning the future of the best manager we've had since Cotts, a manager who has only been here a couple of years and done nothing but good.