IGNORED

International Rugby

WarksRobin

Quick word for one of my favourite players too. Keith Earls confirmed his retirement today. An unbelievable player for Munster and Ireland for so long. I'd have loved him to stay on for one more year, but he goes out after helping Munster win our first trophy in 12 years, healthy and on his own terms. It could be worse. One of our all-time greats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Quick word for one of my favourite players too. Keith Earls confirmed his retirement today. An unbelievable player for Munster and Ireland for so long. I'd have loved him to stay on for one more year, but he goes out after helping Munster win our first trophy in 12 years, healthy and on his own terms. It could be worse. One of our all-time greats.

Mossie Keane was my neighbour in Portarlington. Sadly passed away a few years after we moved to France.  Amazing who you get to know over the years.

• Like 1

England team

15 Freddie Steward, 14 Jonny May, 13 Joe Marchant, 12 Manu Tuilagi, 11 Elliot Daly, 10 Owen Farrell (c); 9 Alex Mitchell, 1 Joe Marler, 2 Jamie George, 3 Dan Cole, 4 Maro Itoje, 5 George Martin, 6 Courtney Lawes, 7 Tom Curry, 8 Ben Earl.

Replacements: 16 Theo Dan, 17 Ellis Genge, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 Ollie Chessum, 20 Billy Vunipola, 21 Danny Care, 22 George Ford, 23 Ollie Lawrence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Boks unchanged. I think it'd be England's best-ever win if they did it given the respective strength of both sides. I can see the Boks' bench making a big difference. Some terrifying men there.

Think I'd agree. Would be an incredible result if Eng won. They need SA to have an off-day. Or is it possible Eng have had such an easy route to the semis compared to SA, that they will be fresher and that'll be enough? 

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Think I'd agree. Would be an incredible result if Eng won. They need SA to have an off-day. Or is it possible Eng have had such an easy route to the semis compared to SA, that they will be fresher and that'll be enough? 

We (England) have no chance unless we get very lucky and they get red carded early on

5 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Boks unchanged. I think it'd be England's best-ever win if they did it given the respective strength of both sides. I can see the Boks' bench making a big difference. Some terrifying men there.

Can't disagree, apart from perhaps Martin Johnson’s England beating the All Blacks in Wellington when reduced to 13 men in the summer of 2003. That took some doing, to put it mildly. Only England's second series win in New Zealand, ever.

The only other, ever, being 30 years prior by an England team captained by Bristol's greatest player, the Aust farmer John Pullin, and a squad featuring several other Bristol players. I'm biased, but that's right up there too.

But yes it will take a remarkable effort to win the semi final - like last time, it might take so much out of us, the tank is empty come the final. Just like the last World Cup. That semi final demolition of Kiwi last time, with a clinical, near faultless performance, has to rank as perhaps the best ever though - until now!

Game plan?

Dominate territory by kicking and chasing well.

Win the battle in the air when they inevitably kick it back to us.

I.E. beat them at their own game.

That gives us half a chance. Half.

Because there's only one winner at scrum time (no surprise our 2 best scrummaging props start the game) and only one winner at the breakdown (a card of some kind is guaranteed for the clueless Curry, meaning we might have to win with 14 - yeah right). So any penalties conceded within range of our posts at either of those engagements will mean the Bokboers stroll to victory.

The fact they're not bothering to start with Pollard means they think they'll stroll it anyway.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

On 19/10/2023 at 12:08, Super said:

England team

15 Freddie Steward, 14 Jonny May, 13 Joe Marchant, 12 Manu Tuilagi, 11 Elliot Daly, 10 Owen Farrell (c); 9 Alex Mitchell, 1 Joe Marler, 2 Jamie George, 3 Dan Cole, 4 Maro Itoje, 5 George Martin, 6 Courtney Lawes, 7 Tom Curry, 8 Ben Earl.

Replacements: 16 Theo Dan, 17 Ellis Genge, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 Ollie Chessum, 20 Billy Vunipola, 21 Danny Care, 22 George Ford, 23 Ollie Lawrence.

Interesting. I can understand the forward changes but fear the perseverance with Mitchell us a mistake. I can see Reinach with his electric pace putting his box kicking under tremendous pleasure and would have gone for the experienced Care. Steward is the correct call having been inexplicably left out of the squad for the QF, a position that Marcus Smith now finds himself in. 

35 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Interesting. I can understand the forward changes but fear the perseverance with Mitchell us a mistake. I can see Reinach with his electric pace putting his box kicking under tremendous pleasure and would have gone for the experienced Care. Steward is the correct call having been inexplicably left out of the squad for the QF, a position that Marcus Smith now finds himself in. 

Smith is injured, hasn't recovered from the blows to the face he got in the QF. Though I think Steward would have played anyway as SA will kick a lot more.

22 minutes ago, Paul G said:

I hope it's not this bad tomorrow but I fear it will be. The two quarter finals last week that were so good should have been the semis

Shall be watching from behind the sofa I really do fear the worst , think I might be watching strictly by half time 

6 minutes ago, redkev said:

Shall be watching from behind the sofa I really do fear the worst , think I might be watching strictly by half time 

My wife is kindly driving me to a pub and being taxi for the night, so, win or lose I will be taking full advantage. These opportunities don't come very often so in my mind I'm winning anyway 😂

• Like 1

On 19/10/2023 at 20:07, Merrick's Marvels said:

Can't disagree, apart from perhaps Martin Johnson’s England beating the All Blacks in Wellington when reduced to 13 men in the summer of 2003. That took some doing, to put it mildly. Only England's second series win in New Zealand, ever.

The only other, ever, being 30 years prior by an England team captained by Bristol's greatest player, the Aust farmer John Pullin, and a squad featuring several other Bristol players. I'm biased, but that's right up there too.

But yes it will take a remarkable effort to win the semi final - like last time, it might take so much out of us, the tank is empty come the final. Just like the last World Cup. That semi final demolition of Kiwi last time, with a clinical, near faultless performance, has to rank as perhaps the best ever though - until now!

Game plan?

Dominate territory by kicking and chasing well.

Win the battle in the air when they inevitably kick it back to us.

I.E. beat them at their own game.

That gives us half a chance. Half.

Because there's only one winner at scrum time (no surprise our 2 best scrummaging props start the game) and only one winner at the breakdown (a card of some kind is guaranteed for the clueless Curry, meaning we might have to win with 14 - yeah right). So any penalties conceded within range of our posts at either of those engagements will mean the Bokboers stroll to victory.

The fact they're not bothering to start with Pollard means they think they'll stroll it anyway.

Was fortunate to meet John on a couple of occasions, an incredibly modest, humble & genuine man....could never forget his post match statement in 1972 after losing to Ireland  - " We weren't much good but at least we turned up" 😆

They don't make em like him anymore.

• Flames 1