IGNORED

Nige - BBCRB - snippet pre-Swansea

Davefevs

25 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Exactly this. It is blatantly unfair to ask Nige to explain to fans or the media the budget policy. He is right to say he cannot answer the question. It is not his job to, he does not set it. He has calmly said he is following the club guidelines given to him. 

This is for the CEO or Charman to explain the dramatic change in club policy. No issue with that change of policy, the club loses a lot of money, but they do need to explain it, not Nige. It is very disingenuous to put him in that position.  

It's not disingenuous it's deliberate as I see it.

Antonio Conte asked at a press conference last season why somebody from the club was not there to answer questions that it was not his job to.

That was because that is common practice in Italy. He was right of course but the manager is not going to win a power battle with an arrogant owner. I'm sure Nigel knows that but he certainly isn't going to grovel in the way Steve likes his managers to.

• Like 1

Point missed here if this was the wage  structure all along why wasn't this made clear earlier in the summer . We were given the impression that Scott stayed or funds to be made available if he went . How many season tickets would have been sold if people had the full range of the facts . May be me being cynical but strange this didn't become apparent until the season had started . I know that's when Scott was sold but Lansdown didn't just wake up that day and decide that was the policy. Had to have been planned months ago . I said on other posts . Respect Lansdown for the work on the infrastructure. But the team and the fans last again . Rather have a crap ground like Luton and good team than other way around

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yeah, people would have loved that wouldn't they? "But, but, we have the worst ground in the prem and it's embarrassing. Why doesn't he build a ground?"

Not to mention the fact that he can build a ground within the financial rules, but can't do the same with a team. How many more times FFS.

We are under no ffp constraints now. How many more times FFS

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, Ian M said:

To be fair we don’t need to. The Scott fee will be in instalments.

Let’s say the rumours were right that we wanted £10m up front, it could be that next season the instalment is £5m, leaving us needing to sell someone (or more than one) with up front payments amounting to the other £5m. Conway immediately springs to mind.

Then the problem comes that we will need to find a replacement on £5k per week or less as we are at our wage budget maximum. Maybe we can strike it lucky and Yeboah can be that replacement.

If Cashflow is the issue, then explain so.  We know it’s not FFP.

But Ian, don’t forget the quote - “if we can sell a player for £25m…nest egg”

This isn’t about instalments, it is SL not wanting to use the money.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Seems to me that everyone hated the apparent 'pointless splurge' under the previous characters and now hate the 'pointless restraint' under the current characters.

The problem is the ‘pointless splurge’ was given to the wrong hands.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yeah, people would have loved that wouldn't they? "But, but, we have the worst ground in the prem and it's embarrassing. Why doesn't he build a ground?"

Not to mention the fact that he can build a ground within the financial rules, but can't do the same with a team. How many more times FFS.

He's had 20 plus years to make his riches count. I don't spend a day travelling to the Gate and back to admire a stand. I'd happily have had the worst ground in the Prem. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The clip from Radio Guernsey or whatever it was?

" We’ve got to bide our time and keep investing in players and wait for that moment like Luton had… it’s the only way we can do it because we can’t compete with the parachute payments that come out of the Premier League... they’re way ahead of us on spend, way ahead, and so we’ve just got to build that scenario... if we could sell players for 25 million every year, you know… we’d be building that nest egg up to be able to compete in the longer term… I think this season with the squad of players we've got, we've got a real chance of, you know, of competing at the top end of the table and maybe we'll strike it lucky... that's the way we've got to look at it... we never stop, we never stop recruiting, we never stop scouting, we never stop trying to develop our players and we obviously want to do as well as we possibly can, we've got a great stadium, fantastic training facilities and the squad is, it's a young squad, we've got some good experienced players in there as well alongside them and we've got the makings of a promotion winning side if we can get that little bit of luck and consistency "

Yes but why was he talking to Radio guernsey and not the  city fans who he should be ??‍♂️

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Thing is - the STs are sold, and counted in the attendances regardless of who turns up. Its not the first time I've bought a ST in the Lansdown regime only to think a few weeks into the season that the optimistic prospectus on which it was sold was all smoke and mirrors!

Which is why I don’t buy a ST under Lansdown’s last 3 years tenure - almost fraudulent IMO. And I am as passionate about Bristol City as anyone. Really annoyed this pm.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

21 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Well will be at Swansea supporting NP and the boys. We lose it’s going to be a long 2 weeks and frustrations will build over those 2 weeks. Uncertain times GR

Anyway you good 

All good mate, apart from all this malarkey. 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

years of mediocrity in the championship with no ambition to get out of it. All this talk of a plan when Scott goes and we can’t even go out and spend abit of money just to boost the quality of the squad

It's disgusting of Lansdown to leave us so short of numbers 

14 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Seems to me that everyone hated the apparent 'pointless splurge' under the previous characters and now hate the 'pointless restraint' under the current characters.

Speaking for myself it wasn't the 'splurge' that was hated under the previous characters but the pointlessness...

...EDIT: beaten to it by @Lew-T

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Listen to it all, especially the last half-a second.

mods - please merge if need be

Depressing. I said the other week that this feels like the beginning of the end for Nige and i still stand by that.

He has been treated with absolute contempt by Lansdown, as @Kid in the Riot says this is 2015 playing out all over again. Why is supporting this club so ******* depressing man.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

TC was invited onto the Board, was he not - different times, the club was run by people with the same passion as the fans on the terraces. We were all in it together. I've seen little evidence of that in recent times.

He was indeed. When I say similar feel, I refer to the team only. No money to spend, youngsters and freebies, plus a couple of old heads. Just a shame we don’t have a Glyn Riley or Tom Ritchie pulling the strings. 

• Robin 1

14 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Those aren’t the only options. There is a happy medium.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Hxj said:

I just see this as Nige being Nige.  Direct and honest. Nothing else.

There is a budget - I keep to it.  I'd like more but so would everyone.  

Not my job to explain the budget.

Nobody is advocating a splurge. Nigel wouldn't do that anyway given that he doesn't want the kind of bloated squad he inherited. But it seems reasonable to ask why a proportion of the Scott money can't be made available.

It's clearly irritating him that he has to answer questions about finances while the CEO and the owner who set the budget remain silent.

If anybody has gone from one extreme to the other it's Steve not the fans.

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I in no way shape or form want him back but it would be interesting to see just how Lee Johnson would do if the worst did happen and he had to work under exactly the same constraints as NP. I reckon we would sink. Sure we may win some games, have some good games but we would sink badly overall.

We’d be relegated by Christmas 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The clip from Radio Guernsey or whatever it was?

" We’ve got to bide our time and keep investing in players and wait for that moment like Luton had… it’s the only way we can do it because we can’t compete with the parachute payments that come out of the Premier League... they’re way ahead of us on spend, way ahead, and so we’ve just got to build that scenario... if we could sell players for 25 million every year, you know… we’d be building that nest egg up to be able to compete in the longer term… I think this season with the squad of players we've got, we've got a real chance of, you know, of competing at the top end of the table and maybe we'll strike it lucky... that's the way we've got to look at it... we never stop, we never stop recruiting, we never stop scouting, we never stop trying to develop our players and we obviously want to do as well as we possibly can, we've got a great stadium, fantastic training facilities and the squad is, it's a young squad, we've got some good experienced players in there as well alongside them and we've got the makings of a promotion winning side if we can get that little bit of luck and consistency "

Oh you can supply that can you Lansdown....................no, the only thing you CAN supply is access to the money and you're not doing that ,so what is the point of you ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

My only logical thought to this, is he must be close to selling the club. 

That’s my take as well.

The club has £35M income on its books for this season and has spent a small fraction of that.

A prospective buyer will see a profit this season, a chance to start with a clean slate and no debt, a manager  whose contract expires at the end of this season, so little or no compensation payable and a chance to bring their own people in.

As much as I respect the cash SL has put into the club his legacy remains one of failing to achieve the possible.

9 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I see zero sign that NP is off before his contract is up. Actually one of his more relaxed press conferences. Seems like he's just being himself and answering the questions asked of him. He'd like more money etc, but understands the situation. I think reading quotes form it in isolation and imaging his tone etc. is very different to how it all comes across here. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Cashflow is the issue, then explain so.  We know it’s not FFP.

But Ian, don’t forget the quote - “if we can sell a player for £25m…nest egg”

This isn’t about instalments, it is SL not wanting to use the money.

It wont be cash flow. There are banks that will lend clubs cash using future installments as security. Think its fairly common practice for clubs who want instant access to transfer cash that would normally be paid in instalments.

The money would be available if there was a desire to spend it, but I agree it seems as though there isn't. 

• Like 2