IGNORED

Phil Alexander Gone (Confirmed)

Selred

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@GrahamC has already answered the first part of what I was gonna write.

The second bit is:

if SL sold us to a rogue (we can each define what we mean by this), what would you think of SL?  A good owner doesn’t sell to a rogue, do they?

So, if you think SL is a good owner, why would you worry about who the new owner is?  Surely good-old SL has the club at heart, doesn’t he?

He has always said he won’t just sell it to anyone, so again why the worry.

Its only my view, although it’s a strong one, but I just don’t buy the “be careful what you wish for” sentiment on here / Twitter.

If you genuinely think he’d sell us to a rogue, I think you should change you view / support of SL!

(imho)

Well put.  You should write for a living!

I guess the worry is less about his intentions and what happens. I don't think he would knowingly sell to a 'rogue', but he also has some questionable managerial appointments and appointed Aston - something he doesn't even seem to regret. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marmite said:

I've always been a supporter of Steve but I think his "it's my club and my money" stance is beginning to alienate people.

When I said that, I thought, 'You've got no idea have you? You might 'own' the club, but it belongs to me and thousands of others in our hearts."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Your first sentence is a bit misleading. 

They may be mates now, as I'm sure you have mates at work. But that's it?

No. Mates first, then came the jobs. I have no idea if one in particular is brilliant or not at his job, but he has had various roles over the years, and it is years and years. It is very different from working for a company where you are colleagues and become friends through work. AG/BS is full of friends and people related to eachother. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

No. Mates first, then came the jobs. I have no idea if one in particular is brilliant or not at his job, but he has had various roles over the years, and it is years and years. It is very different from working for a company where you are colleagues and become friends through work. AG/BS is full of friends and people related to eachother. 

One of them was 100% not mates first!

• Admin
20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My 2+2=5 is that SL logged onto OTIB to see you, one of our most sober and knowledgeable posters, ranting about his mismanagement of the club, knew he had to find a fall guy so fired big Phil!! 

Was worse when he looked at the reactions and found Maggie liking Fevs’ posts ?

• Haha 9

15 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I guess the worry is less about his intentions and what happens. I don't think he would knowingly sell to a 'rogue', but he also has some questionable managerial appointments and appointed Aston - something he doesn't even seem to regret. 

What makes you think he doesn't regret it ? He's hardly going to tell you, far too many assumptions on this forum treated as fact 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

It's so frustrating following this club tbh. Thinking about this the other day.

There are times when we have 2/4 elements in place and the other sides flawed or chaotic.

In the past we were willing to throw money and lots but at a manager who wasn't suitable. The academy was definitely on an upward trajectory but not as productive as now but we did produce. (The Johnson and Ashton era). Then a number of players here in that time we didn't get the best of etc..whereas a more experienced manager may have.

Now we have a Manager and Technical Director but especially NP who has a strong track record and we switch the taps off. Mad! Precisely the wrong time.

We lost one excellent CEO in Gould, can't be helped- Alexander a bit meh IMO but who knows whether he had stronger views behind the scenes but was thwarted.

It's infuriating. We have a number of boxes ticked and yet..some needless uncertainty over manager, overspending in the past That could have cost us dear and now a major overcorrection when we have a manager who can make the most of resources.

We just have this unerring ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It’s a Bristol thing. It’s what we do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

What makes you think he doesn't regret it ? He's hardly going to tell you, far too many assumptions on this forum treated as fact 

Indeed he praised Ashton to the end but not doing so would be to admit he got it wrong. Not something he does.

For similar reasons he can't praise Nigel, Richard Gould and others for clearing up the mess they inherited as that would be to admit he created the mess in the first place.

• Like 7
  • Flames 5

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I agree with some of the above, in fairness.

But what I’m saying (maybe poorly) is that just because someone is posting negatively, doesn’t mean they have an agenda…either.

FWIW my views are positioned on things like this with “I reckon” or ended with “speculation on my part”, because they are drawn from things heard, read, as well as gut feel too.  I’m pretty selective on who I listen to and I don’t believe there is no smoke without fire.

I don’t think SL would jeopardise the club either, which is a big part behind my resistance to the “be careful what you wish for” type posts.

But I do think that every time I hear him, he’s grates more and more.

I am intrigued how a CEO can go from Nige is a legend / royalty to not giving any credit whatsoever, and then commend him and Tins in his leaving statement. FWIW (again) I wasn’t one of the ones slagging PA off after his interview a fortnight ago.  I do think SL (and JL) have had their noses put out of joint by some of Nige’s comments.  Don’t you?

Its always good debating with people who are prepared to explain why they might have a different view or why my view might be seen one way or the other.

They could have, of course. And let me be clear, the communication policy from the club at the moment is an absolute breeding ground for speculation. I blame no one for doing so. I just think very often the truth is a lot tamer or lamer than we like to imagine. If anything, theorising that the Lansdowns are playing some kind of semi-evil chess is probably giving them too much credit. I think most of the time they are just a bit crap. But there’s a whole host of reasons why that doesn’t necessarily mean I want them gone. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My understanding is that he knew both well before they were in their current roles, both (?) went to school with him I think? Clearer?

I don’t have “mates” at work, certainly no one who works in the service I run (circa 150) is one, that just doesn’t work.

FWIW I think Gilhespy is well thought of/rated, and was a big part of our success in incoming recruitment over summer. He definitely ‘pulls his weight’ and would be good enough for his role regardless of links to SL or not….although unarguably, it definitely helps. 

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Indeed he praised Ashton to the end but not doing so would be to admit he got it wrong. Not something he does.

For similar reasons he can't praise Nigel, Richard Gould and others for clearing up the mess they inherited as that would be to admit he created the mess in the first place.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time I can't remember people saying we shouldn't give all this money to LJ, there were times when it was close to working and we were in the top six, who was to know at that time that COVID was around the corner and that we wouldn't quite make it? SL gave us a chance but it didn't work, doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He doen't need to praise NP, he's stuck with him when any other club would of sacked him on more than one occasion 

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Harry said:

It’s Point 2). Always has been since Steve ‘stepped aside’ a few years ago. 

He’s appointed people in senior positions to run the club but he doesn’t give them freedom. 
If he still wants to be involved himself then he should still be part of the board himself. 
He wants the best of both worlds - ie let other people do the day to day shit but then get involved whenever he feels like it. 
But then he just can’t help himself can he - even when he was present, he’d often be found in the dressing room - a place where he’d appointed someone to run the team but just couldn’t help himself getting involved. 

Steve - either run the club or let others run the club. You can’t have both. It steps on toes and breeds mistrust. 

The fact that one of the people he’s ‘appointed’ to run this club is his vastly under qualified son is the main problem. 
Mainly because the vastly under qualified son also has lots of his vastly under qualified mates running many areas of the club. 
It’s not so much a ‘jobs for the boys’ culture, it’s ‘job for the boy and his mates’. 

Exactly right. The “Board” exists in name only. Quite frankly, a joke.

If this was a professional business/PLC, the Board would have been challenging the goings on at AG years ago. It is/has been a shambles for years. Good to see that others now see it also, as I was lambasted ages ago about Lansdown, long before the ”it’s my club” statement.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

The directors of the football club are Jon Lansdown (chairman), Gavin Marshall (secretary/director), and until last week Phil Alexander (CEO).

Down to two now with both also being directors of other group companies and Gavin Marshall also being group CEO.

Appears to be a bit lean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Apologies for my naivety on the subject of extra investment from a new sugar daddy. But there seems to be a sizeable amount of people who believe a new owner is going to be allowed to invest in the club (give us more money for players) than we are given presently by SL (Scott money aside)

Surely FFP rules will apply to the probable Spiv that comes in a promises sunlit uplands too. 

Plus, Don’t those who want a financial return want the right to flog stuff off if their investment goes pear and they get relegated etc . Sale of the training ground could be a possibility. etc 
Reeducation most welcome  

Alternatively, they could come in and actually make a serious attempt to go for some of the Premiership £millions, rather than just paying lip service to having genuine ambition, when clearly not meaning it.

Obviously costs also rise with the Prem, but at present, we are treading water at best.  We aren’t talking huge money to strengthen and a couple of targeted additions to this current squad could work wonders.

it seems pretty clear that any ambition SL may have had for City in the past is long gone and he’s maybe looking for new, probably more rewarding challenges.

Are we wrong to want a new impetus and energy around the club, or should we be content to just stagnate and eventually slip downwards out of this division?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

If this was a professional business/PLC, the Board would have been challenging the goings on at AG years ago. It is/has been a shambles for years. Good to see that others now see it also, as I was lambasted ages ago about Lansdown, long before the ”it’s my club” statement.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The directors of the football club are Jon Lansdown (chairman), Gavin Marshall (secretary/director), and until last week Phil Alexander (CEO).

Down to two now with both also being directors of other group companies and Gavin Marshall also being group CEO.

Appears to be a bit lean.

Always has been, and my bug bear is that the women's team has a board of 6, and JL isn't one of them!!! So the Group is capable of implementing a decently diverse board without the owners son on it...but chooses not to at men's team level.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

He doen't need to praise NP, he's stuck with him when any other club would of sacked him on more than one occasion 

Out of interest…Sacked him for what reason? 

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Was worse when he looked at the reactions and found Maggie liking Fevs’ posts ?

He’s ok with that, it’s the DMs she sends me that he doesn’t like! ???

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Because at least twice in the time Pearson has been here, Lansdown has publicly praised Ashton - while, incidentally, never once saying anything remotely positive about our manager.

People don't just make this sh1t up for the sake of it, ffs. 

Not here anyway - as has been said, this isn't the Twitter cesspit or that ridiculous City Facebook thing. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 3