IGNORED

That’s all on the manager

glynriley

At the end of the day, poor defensive mistakes cost us. The first especially, weak header by Naismith, Pring gets out-hussled and it was a terrific shot. As that stage we looked very likely to get a 3rd before the break.

I too thought we improved after the subs came on, just lacking the finishing, hopefully TC would soon be fir to start and fix that for this.

Edited by old_eastender

19 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Max worries me, he really does. I never feel confident with him, lacks presence and some poor decisions today. The first goal he should get a hand on it. 

Was really poor today with the ball at his feet. Not sure the goals were his fault

Edited by Super

1 minute ago, Super said:

Was really poor today with the ball at his feet. Not sure the goals were his fault

Ropey moment with the ball at his feet 2nd half sticks out. Attempted pass rebounds off their player. Fortunately it goes safe, but too casual for my liking. 

I struggle to see confidence in MOL presently. When he first came into the team, to replace DB, he looked very confident. Now it seems like he is almost he shrinking into his goal.

Those who have said we needed an older Maenpaa-type keeper to come in and challenge were spot on for me. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Trust me mate, it was a surprise to me that he did it. But ultimately I think overall we played better after the substitutions and I don’t think the loss was as a result of those changes. 

I’m not so sure. Thought Cornick did well but for me, our full backs were more exposed with the changes. I’m no Terry Venables , but for my untrained eye, we surrendered the wide areas. Appreciate we all see things differently. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, tweeted @Shuffle after the game that I wondered if Bell and Sykes were subbed for not tracking back a couple of time second half.  Haven’t seen their equaliser, and it was in far corner from where I sat so did Bell switch off for the give and go to Hoever?

(Great pull back by the way)

(Great strike for their opener by the way)

First half we were pretty dominant (as dominant as a City side ever is), so not an awful lot of tracking back needed.

We had 6 shots at half-time.  13 at full-time.  All 7 in the second half came after the subs.  I’ve just gone back over bbc live text. So you’re facts are way, way off.

I think there was some anger in Bell and Sykes subs.  Tanner injury, carried over from first half, perhaps?  TGH almost came on first half.

I wouldn’t have made 4 subs.

I actually thought we played well for most of the game.

I think the result is driving people’s criticism.  If they want to be critical of the result, that’s cool, I’m bloody annoyed by it too.

Because he was carrying an injury?  Or because you thought he was poor?  I thought he gave more attacking wise today than he has all season.

Flashscore have got facts wrong if anybody. Not me 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Respectfully I’d disagree with the OP Glyn. 

2 weeks ago v West Brom it was hugely frustrating that we didn’t make any subs until the 79th minute when the game was crying out for us to inject something to change the momentum of the game. 

Today Nige basically did the polar opposite of what he did v West Brom. 

We were by far the better team in the first half and once again we came out slow and sloppy in the second half and the opposition got on top. Exactly the same as v West Brom. 

When I saw the 4 changes I was surprised but actually pleasantly so. It was very clear to me that the game was going the same way as West Brom and we needed to do something to change the momentum. Stoke had began to dominate and after we’d been by far the better team in the first half it needed to change. 

And it worked. After the subs, we immediately wrestled back the momentum and were again the better side. Yeboah was giving them something to think about. Cornick was battling and scrapping for everything and giving their Cb’s a real hard time (in fact I’d give him man of the match). Weimann did what Weimann does and was drifting, dragging and making penetrative runs. The changes gave Stoke a problem and shifted the momentum back to us. Until we blew it at the end - and that was zero fault of any of the subs. 

Whilst I was very critical of Nige for the lack of subs v West Brom, I was really pleased to see how he reacted today and the early subs really shifted the momentum back to us in a game that looked like it was about to get away from us again. 
I was happy with these changes today. 

Agree.

16 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

NP stats.

20230930_182453.jpg

And?  What point are you trying to make.

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I don’t think the subs were the problem, I thought they gave us the momentum back after Stoke somehow got an equaliser. 

The defending for their 3rd goal was embarrassing.

This.

I really am not looking forward to seeing the highlights.

With the ball we were really good today.  Weimann looked really sharp when he came on.  Cornick really effective.  We were t that bad without it either…but boy were we punished in isolated incidents.  That was today’s game in a nutshell for me.

Yeboah is Yeboah.  With Conway and Weimann back he will probably drop back down the pecking order a bit I guess.  Good experience in this early part of his career.

TGH is a good addition to the club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Flashscore have got facts wrong if anybody. Not me 

But surely you watched the game?

I didn’t need bbc to tell me that we had several shots.  I only used bbc to confirm the specific numbers….it was so obviously more than one shot after the subs.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

But surely you watched the game?

I didn’t need bbc to tell me that we had several shots.  I only used bbc to confirm the specific numbers….it was so obviously more than one shot after the subs.

Not sure if you’ve seen all the talk about robins TV being extremely poor today.  As a consequence I couldn’t really watch the game second half.  

I don't think Nige will ever get us promoted.

He has got together his squad which is good but not good enough to get us up.

We will get some wins and some defeats like today and probably will languish in mid table for the foreseeable.

Nige is solid enough but for promotion we probably need somebody a bit more dynamic. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Ok, so you’ve taken your view on our performance second half from Flashscore 😉😉😉

No I said that one shot in one half of football cannot be classed as a very good performance. I think that’s fair enough. If flashscore is wrong then clearly I retract my comment as it was based on wrong information. Hope that satisfies you. If not, I’m sorry 

Just now, glynriley said:

Best not to pay attention to people who rarely attend. 

As I’ve explained on here before, used to have a season ticket every season until I got made redundant.  Now I cannot afford to attend games so I rarely go.  I actually had a free ticket for today but my father died recently and I’m not in a good place and so just didn’t want to be around people.  

• Like 1
  • Robin 3

41 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Pring gave us a lot on the left.

I thought he could have done much better in the build up to 2 of the goals!

Also why is he so afraid of shooting a brilliant run seemed to take him to shooting distance only to sweep it right and slow the move - I have been a big fan but at his age he needs better decision making!

6 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I don't think Nige will ever get us promoted.

He has got together his squad which is good but not good enough to get us up.

We will get some wins and some defeats like today and probably will languish in mid table for the foreseeable.

Nige is solid enough but for promotion we probably need somebody a bit more dynamic. 

He also is working with at least one hand tied behind his back even over and above the usual FFP constraints thanks to our overall generous but strategically erratic owner 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

As I’ve explained on here before, used to have a season ticket every season until I got made redundant.  Now I cannot afford to attend games so I rarely go.  I actually had a free ticket for today but my father died recently and I’m not in a good place and so just didn’t want to be around people.  

Condolences on your loss.

I know what you’re going through having lost my mum not long ago. But maybe don’t critique a game you followed on the internet. 

• Like 2

It really does appear that some posters on here were cheering for joy when Stoke got their winner . Just to be negative on here.  Most bizzare behaviour.

Excellent debate about the subs . Rather looked like a great move , the game was ebbing away from us. Cornick was excellent , yet few can bring themselves to say it. I struggle with the signing, but if he is good , he is good. He was damn good. More of that Harry. Well done that man. 

We missed Vyner , hugely . Who would have thought that 18 months ago? 

We should not lose games like today, it is frustrating. But we still look like a proper side, missing maybe some quality, but we have many constraints, so we have to develop. We are. If you watch football , live football , to be entertained , we were entertained . There were stories everywhere. We do not look a joke , players work damn hard , and they care . We also play some beautiful football at times . Young players developing , getting better . That’s enjoyable . We are no longer a soft touch , a holiday club . 

Oh and TC is coming back. That boy is going places. 

We will be in the play off mix , as will 12 other clubs . That is the league we are in. But no longer a joke club that everyone laughed at . 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

We will be in the play off mix , as will 12 other clubs . That is the league we are in. But no longer a joke club that everyone laughed at . 

I struggle to see how we have been a joke club in recent years and unaware that everyone laughed at Bristol City -a club with superb facilities and ground, no relegation and a brilliant record of youth players coming through - yes, also financial problems like about 60-70 other league clubs. Are you confusing us with Reading, Swindon or rovers etc?

This illustrates the problem NP is working with. There was a lot of effort, and running around, in the second half but unfortunately not that extra bit of class and creativity. Class and creativity costs money and City don’t / can’t want to spend 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This illustrates the problem NP is working with. There was a lot of effort, and running around, in the second half but unfortunately not that extra bit of class and creativity. Class and creativity costs money and City don’t / can’t want to spend 

We always sell our best players and rebuild so reality is this will continually happen. Can’t wait for a change at the top. The club needs new leadership at board level.  

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I struggle to see how we have been a joke club in recent years and unaware that everyone laughed at Bristol City -a club with superb facilities and ground, no relegation and a brilliant record of youth players coming through - yes, also financial problems like about 60-70 other league clubs. Are you confusing us with Reading, Swindon or rovers etc?

Then you really have no clue about how our club has been viewed in professional circles these last decades . How long did it take to get those facilities ? Have you seen what other clubs have also done? How do our facilities , those that arrived just a few years ago , compare with Prem league clubs ? 

The icing on your cake is that you quote Swindon and Rovers. Yeah that’s the benchmark for a City like Bristol . Just with these comments you confirm why we have been a joke in professional circles. 

Unreal 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Sorry to hear that mate. I have been through the same lately so know exactly how you feel. Keep your chin up buddy.

• Like 3

I'm sure Tanner was replaced as he was injured. He'd signalled to come off in the first half when the physio saw him and I was surprised he came out for the second. Shortly before he went off he needed to chase his man but you could see he was only going at about 70% speed. He then signalled he needed to come off.

He'd also been arguing a bit with Dickie about his starting position being (in Dickie's view) too high up the pitch. I don't know if that contributed, but it's something I've noticed Vyner complain to him about before as well.

Cornick deserves a start in one of our next two games imo. He reminds me a bit of Peter Crouch in that he never looks like he has complete control of his limbs, but in fact is deceptively skilful and good at close control. Was impressed with him today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1