IGNORED

Lansdown

frenchred

For me, I can’t help but feel us supporters have been kept in the dark of late, for far too long - it’s a really poor way to run a business, and I believe we, the fans, deserve better. That said I feel the supporters have also been very understanding, perhaps more than could be expected.

My point is, when the next announcement (Or interview with SL) does arrive, what question would you want answering?

Mine - in very difficult circumstances, Nige has clearly done a really good job in trimming the squad numbers, taking outgoings to an acceptable level, and producing a team that can challenge in a difficult division, so, what is happening regarding a new contract and why has nothing been mentioned with this regard?

Other questions - sale progress etc? Thoughts, what question would you ask?

On the back of this, can we not collate some form of communication to the club asking for answers to the top five questions or similar? 

At the end of the day, the fans have continued to back the club with ST numbers increasing year on year, but I am sure I am not alone in feeling the good will is being stretched!?

• Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, PFree said:

For me, I can’t help but feel us supporters have been kept in the dark of late, for far too long - it’s a really poor way to run a business, and I believe we, the fans, deserve better. That said I feel the supporters have also been very understanding, perhaps more than could be expected.

My point is, when the next announcement (Or interview with SL) does arrive, what question would you want answering?

Mine - in very difficult circumstances, Nige has clearly done a really good job in trimming the squad numbers, taking outgoings to an acceptable level, and producing a team that can challenge in a difficult division, so, what is happening regarding a new contract and why has nothing been mentioned with this regard?

Other questions - sale progress etc? Thoughts, what question would you ask?

On the back of this, can we not collate some form of communication to the club asking for answers to the top five questions or similar? 

At the end of the day, the fans have continued to back the club with ST numbers increasing year on year, but I am sure I am not alone in feeling the good will is being stretched!?

Why do you feel SL should be telling you anything about the managers contract?

The only person who needs to know about it is NP

It really has duck all to do with you or any other fan

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

There is nothing wrong with asking the question. It's up to Lansdown if he wishes to answer it. 

I don't think the issue is about Nigels contract. The issue is that no one from the club wants to speak and update the fans about a number of issues. The communication is at rock bottom. 

• Like 8

On 14/10/2023 at 01:38, CodeRed said:

He owns a house in Bermuda and spends a lot of time there - the house has a golf course in front and the ocean behind so understandable! - but I don't think he's running any business's there. It's a holiday home essentially,  I've heard (on here) Phil Alexander found it frustrating that JL was over there so much.

Which in itself speaks volumes. He does have a business - property sub-division.

I worked there, and it is a minimum requirement that you reside there 20 years before you can get citizenship / permanent residence - and you need that to own property there.

Unless you are stinking rich of course, then that rule disappears.

My immediate neighbours, around the headland (I lived in a small road with 4 houses on it - my family, another Brit - who was also a City fan!! and 2 Bermudian Families) - were PM Berlusconi, Michael Jackson and David Bowie.

Their houses has armed security, including a speedboat which routinely would carry big burly blokes with bulging muscles and bigger guns alongside my kayak and tell me I had no right to be in that 'part of the sea'.

All hardly lived there of course (and certainly not now!!) - and it was quite common to see the Douglas / Zeta-Jones family walking around (Kirk was married to a Bermudian lady).

That's the world Jon Lansdown lives in.

That Jon Lansdown openly deals in real estate sub-division, shows  the amount of $$$$ he is spending in Bermuda.

I can't see any world in which he gives that up to run BCFC and deal with all the crap that would come his way.

0% chance he stays involved when Papa Steve sells up. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Which in itself speaks volumes. He does have a business - property sub-division.

I worked there, and it is a minimum requirement that you reside there 20 years before you can get citizenship / permanent residence - and you need that to own property there.

My immediate neighbours, around the headland (I lived in a small road with 4 houses on it - my family, another Brit - who was also a City fan!! and 2 Bermudian Families) - were PM Berlusconi, Michael Jackson and David Bowie.

Their houses has armed security, including a speedboat which routinely would carry big burly blokes with bulging muscles and bigger guns alongside my kayak and tell me I had no right to be in that 'part of the sea'.

All hardly lived there of course (and certainly not now!!) - and it was quite common to see the Douglas / Zeta-Jones family walking around (Kirk was married to a Bermudian lady).

That Jon Lansdown openly deals in real estate sub-division, shows  the amount of $$$$ he is spending in Bermuda.

I can't see any world in which he gives that up to run BCFC and deal with all the crap that would come his way.

So the club was like a train set bought one Xmas, played with for a while ,then buried in the attic ?

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Are the rules in Guernsey/Jersey et al different?

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

So the club was like a train set bought one Xmas, played with for a while ,then buried in the attic ?

It happens. Most of my mates who never missed a game when they were younger stopped watching football live long ago. Usually due to family commitments or some just prefer a game of golf on a Saturday. They'll still watch matches on TV but that's about all.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 19/10/2023 at 22:22, slartibartfast said:

Not uncommon with wealthy owners. Kieran Maguire used very similar terms of Moshiri the other day.

Now I hope Lansdown is and will be better than that but he seems to be running us as close to self sufficiency as he possibly can.

Screenshot_20231024-123720_Chrome.thumb.jpg.42504c49133d5339a69ab4175ef5277d.jpgScreenshot_20231024-123730_Chrome.thumb.jpg.aa5dd7a2a092ab33ee03a732a2f6e13a.jpg

Chansiri and Dai Yongge appear to have checked out somewhat at their clubs even if still in charge. However Jon Lansdown is supposedly a fan so...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FNQ said:

On a lighter note, I bet Steve will have a face like a slapped arse when Mark Ashton rocks up to share a bottle of Chardonnay tomorrow 😄

I doubt he will, seeing as SL has never criticised the snake for the way he behaved down here.

If I was in SL’s shoes and was actively planning to sell the club, I’d be fuming if my CEO led the takeover of another club all while allowing costs to spiral out of control under his watch. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I believe Ipswich will not be one of the games SL intends to attend.

I think he's got a total of 90 days which he can spend in the UK per year.

What with the rugby as well, he'll have to carefully pick and choose which games he attends. But at least his son and Chairman is here deputising.....sometimes.

54 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think he's got a total of 90 days which he can spend in the UK per year.

What with the rugby as well, he'll have to carefully pick and choose which games he attends. But at least his son and Chairman is here deputising.....sometimes.

Spend overnight isn’t it? 

He can possibly come and go as he pleases during the day (might be wrong).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tin said:

I doubt he will, seeing as SL has never criticised the snake for the way he behaved down here.

If I was in SL’s shoes and was actively planning to sell the club, I’d be fuming if my CEO led the takeover of another club all while allowing costs to spiral out of control under his watch. 

Steve seemed to be perfectly ok with Ashton working on the Ipswich takeover while being paid handsomely by us.

Not only was he not critical of Ashton he insisted he had done a good job for us. Though the only evidence he came up with was that Ashton represented the club well with the EFL.

So he praised the man who was the most responsible for creating the disastrous situation we found ourselves in but refuses to praise those who have dug us out of it.

Doesn't say much for his judgement does it?

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Steve seemed to be perfectly ok with Ashton working on the Ipswich takeover while being paid handsomely by us.

Not only was he not critical of Ashton he insisted he had done a good job for us. Though the only evidence he came up with was that Ashton represented the club well with the EFL.

So he praised the man who was the most responsible for creating the disastrous situation we found ourselves in but refuses to praise those who have dug us out of it.

Doesn't say much for his judgement does it?

For SL to criticise the snake would mean him admitting to his own failures, and his ego would never allow him to do that. 

It says plenty about his judgement and reinforces my own opinions of SL — egotistical, neglectful, deluded, incompetent. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Spend overnight isn’t it? 

He can possibly come and go as he pleases during the day (might be wrong).

I think the rules may be different for travel from a Crown Dependency and the 90 day issue may have gone away ? I was basing it on something that SL said some time ago.

@Jerseybean may have better knowledge about it.

Edited by bcfc01

16 minutes ago, tin said:

For SL to criticise the snake would mean him admitting to his own failures, and his ego would never allow him to do that. 

It says plenty about his judgement and reinforces my own opinions of SL — egotistical, neglectful, deluded, incompetent. 

The incredible thing is that SL actually went out of his way to praise Ashton after he'd left. He could've just said nothing, but instead said something along the lines of "fans misunderstand the good work he did here".  Bonkers.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The incredible thing is that SL actually went out of his way to praise Ashton after he'd left. He could've just said nothing, but instead said something along the lines of "fans misunderstand the good work he did here whilst lining up a lucrative take over of Ipswich Town, stabbing me in the back, and pissing off as soon as he could".  Bonkers.

I've added the bit SL was thinking but didn't say out loud.

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The incredible thing is that SL actually went out of his way to praise Ashton after he'd left. He could've just said nothing, but instead said something along the lines of "fans misunderstand the good work he did here".  Bonkers.

They say it's easier to con someone than it is to convince them they've been conned. Steve will not be convinced that's for sure.

• Like 2

On 13/10/2023 at 22:08, Topper 123 said:

Steve was at the rugby tonight answering all sorts of questions and was buying rounds of beer for anyone who wanted one and there was plenty

I remember Crewe away in our promotion season under Cotts when SL was doing some kind of speech in a pub and I asked him if he was going to stick his card behind the bar and he quietly said to me something along the lines of "maybe when we get promoted to the prem" or words to that effect. I thought well that's how much he values our support, he couldn't spend a few hundred quid on the supporters, it left a bitter taste and reflective distain for him, it's only got more bitter as time has gone on for me.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I remember Crewe away in our promotion season under Cotts when SL was doing some kind of speech in a pub and I asked him if he was going to stick his card behind the bar and he quietly said to me something along the lines of "maybe when we get promoted to the prem" or words to that effect. I thought well that's how much he values our support, he couldn't spend a few hundred quid on the supporters, it left a bitter taste and reflective distain for him, it's only got more bitter as time has gone on for me.

Yorkshire bitter??? 🍺

1 minute ago, YorkshireSection said:

Can't remember the context but he did say one time "I'm not paying for other peoples' beer". He was quite annoyed about something. It wasn't in the same context as you've noted, but I do remember him saying it and I found it quite funny.

He's right, I don't see why he should.

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Can't remember the context but he did say one time "I'm not paying for other peoples' beer". He was quite annoyed about something. It wasn't in the same context as you've noted, but I do remember him saying it and I found it quite funny.

He's right, I don't see why he should.

He's a billionaire and owner of a football club, it would have been a gesture and a way of showing his appreciation of the hundreds of miles those supporters had travelled that season, he wouldn't have been there if we hadn't been in the position we were in, that's for sure.

Happy enough to lap up the praise and be part of the celebrations but not happy enough to make a tiny gesture to those very fans.

• Like 2

On 19/10/2023 at 13:45, Maltshoveller said:

The contents are certainly private and anyone who thinks otherwise is not living in the real world!

However people who buy tickets and others are among stakeholders who do expect, in view of what been said recently, something of a comment as they put their money in too. (Fun fact I never sold my shares to SL, thus he is not the owner merely the majority share holder. 😂)

I think as I’ve stayed before in other threads there is something else going on that makes communication with supporters etc etc much more difficult. What also bothers me are the rumors of a toxic atmosphere among employees at the club. Is this true anyone?

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That was another nail in the coffin of my thoughts about SL that started with me buying a hammer when he said that comment along the lines of “it’s my money”.

I’ve got it in for him now…every time he speaks I bang that nail a bit further in.  I can’t help it.  Nobody is that clumsy with what he says by accident.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That was another nail in the coffin of my thoughts about SL that started with me buying a hammer when he said that comment along the lines of “it’s my money”.

I’ve got it in for him now…every time he speaks I bang that nail a bit further in.  I can’t help it.  Nobody is that clumsy with what he says by accident.

I always get the impression that SL has a love hate relationship with fans now. 

What started well has now eroded. 

He's between a rock and a hard place. 

It often feels like the Roman Colosium. 

Sat up in the middle of the Lansdown Stand, having hob nobbed it with people he surrounds himself with, hanging on his every word, doffing their caps.

He emerges to lord himself over the plebs before him, chest puffed out, admiring his ' creation'... whilst casting his beady eye over the manager who he resents for being more popular than him. 

It's like a scene from Gladiator. 

'Are you not entertained'...😉😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1