IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

I like Nige and can appreciate the ways he has improved the club, but if I was in SL's shoes I'm not sure I'd give him a new deal at this point, I'd want to be more certain of our league position towards the end of the season. Team results have been inconsistent and although we moved up to 8th with our win yesterday we were close to being 16th or 17th had Coventry been able to shoot straight, it's too early yet to envisage where we're likely to end up. There's no reason to rush since Nige isn't a young up and coming manager who other clubs are likely to poach or tempt him away, he's generally seen as difficult to deal with. He's not improving his chances of a new deal by talking to the Press about perceived incompetence at Board level, that usually only ends in one way (I think it may have been affected by his recent illness).

If he wants to stay it's quite simple, if we're still in say the top 8 in March then I'm sure he'll be offered, say, a 12-month rolling contract but if we're entrenched in the bottom half as in previous years then I think SL will go for a change. Although most people on here want him to have a deal now, that's on the back of a win, if we'd lost yesterday then that would have been four defeats in five and opinions would be different. I hope he does well and is given a new deal, there's no point in changing for the sake of it like they do at most other clubs, but we have to show we can challenge in the top half at least.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

This forum has become an echo chamber. Everyone is assuming Nigel refers to the Lansdowns but from what I hear, there is a tense relationship with our DoF and that is what Nigel is referring to. 

You’ve lost me who is our DOF

10 hours ago, fisherrich said:

Lansdown needs to go NOW. He is killing this club. Wake up City fans. 20 years of nothing. Now he is driv8ng out the best manager this club has ever had. Time to rise up and drive Lansdown out. He has no idea how to run a football club.

Behave.

Get the idea that emotions are high based on his post match interview, but don't fall in to a trap of inventing a position to underline your passion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Interesting isn't it, the current situation, good large group of youth talent with with the odd experienced head reminds me of the Alan Dicks era.

Most of the crowd wanted Dicks out! But Harry Dolman saw something in Dicks and kept him.... the rest is history.

We are now in a similar situation BUT it seems the roles are reversed. The supporters want the manager to stay but the owner seemingly wants rid.

Please Steve, take a lesson from History. Be the bigger man and keep NP at Ashton Gate. There is no better example that that of Harry Dolman to follow.

I agree! And there is nothing like a few good knob gags too!

It just feels like every time the club starts moving in the right direction Lansdown comes along and sabotages it, 

Lansdown just can't cope with strong willed managers who have a clear vision and start to actually take the club some were we saw it happen with Steve now it's happening with Nigel,

Sadly seams he can't take any criticism and just wants to have a yes man in charge who will be happy to tell the media how great the chairman is as Lee liked to do, 

If he dose get rid of Nigel it will be one of the worst things he's done at the club, any chairman with any football sense would be backing Nigel and giving him some of the Scott money in January, sadly don't look at the moment like he has any sense I really hope he proves me wrong 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

"Best manager this club has ever had" is quite an overstatement.

He HAS cleared up the mess left by the Lansdown indulged Lee Johnson & Mark Ashton and maintained Championship status but from an achievement perspective he's behind Dicks, Jordan and GJ in my book.

To be fair AD (bless him) is approaching 90 now & so to the vast majority of City fans (who unlike you & I, aren’t 60+) you might as well be talking about Harry Thickett.

The Jordan era was “mine” (The Bountyhunter, I was in my late 20s, lots of good times) but I’ve realised over the years that JJ scarpered about 3 games in to our Championship campaign & so despite the League Cup semi final I can’t really put him in the same bracket as the other two you mentioned.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Olé said:

To this day one of the most defining moments of the club since we got back to the Championship was an SL interview with Radio Bristol when in doing what he thought was attempting to draw fire away from LJ, he clumsily bigged up the fact that he would actually have calls with LJ on the Friday night before a game and on the Sunday after to debrief, as (his words - or at least something along these lines) a means for LJ to have someone to discuss his plans with.

At the time I thought it was very very odd and was quite surprised more wasn't made of it, I'd love to find the transcript again. It's why the appointment of Dean Holden was completely predictable and is why Nigel Pearson has always had a limited lifespan at Ashton Gate and he knows it (hence the constant comments about whether or not he is the one to finish the job or someone else will do so). NP knows very very well what SL wants from a manager - sorry Head Coach.

Pearson has done everything this club has badly needed - shed the bloated squad of indulged signings and average squad players, brought though youth, and created a tight unit and culture that we haven't had since the last promotion side. I also think he's created a sense of leadership and accountability that now runs through the footballing operation (whether explicitly or just by exposure to his standards). None of that is as important as the access that SL is missing.

Thanks for the chat and taking on board how things should be done Lee, here’s some more pocket money to spend.

• Like 2

I'm worried Pearson will be gone after publicly calling out the "people above", if that happens i will truly feel like it's pointless trying to support this club. I feel like Lansdown is toxic, Bristol City and Lansdown reminds me of a toxic relationship where it's best for both parties to part ways, too much has happened.  I can't stand people that play victim in a situation they created 😕 He bangs on about his investment, he made all the poor decisions, poor manager appointments, poor player purchases and contracts, he was in control. Best thing for City would be for a committed investor to purchase the club, someone with ambition that loves football, not "Bristol Sport". Only my opinion, aware it's not shared by everyone.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

15 hours ago, petehinton said:

May IIRC, which is far and away the shortest amount of time any manager I can remember has ever had left on a deal. Didn’t LJ have 2 years left on his deal before getting a shiny new 4 year one? Sacked 12 months later and probably still getting some sort of pay out of it!

They usually only get paid up a year after sacking or until they take a new job !

6 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

They usually only get paid up a year after sacking or until they take a new job !

Quite common now for them to be paid the ‘difference’ even when taking a new job between old and new. I.e on £12k a week here but get a new job on £10k a week, so old club pays the £2k gap until end of contract terms at old club

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ray savino said:

SL has been a great financial benefactor and a vital one too, make no mistake. But he has been a poor decision maker in implementing a team around him to help him put together a plan to achieve his very laudable vision of giving Bristol much needed sporting success.

You have just written Steve Lansdown's legacy right there, as things currently stand.

Must admit I’m more worried about this article in the Post. I hope the medics can establish the cause of this quickly and Nige can get better soon. My money is on this clouding the contract situation as well. 

“Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson has revealed he is dealing with an unspecified neurological issue that is the source of his back problem and the reason he’s needed to walk with the aid of crutches for the last six weeks.

Pearson has been hampered by the ailment since the September international break, which has left the Robins boss in constant pain and unable to move without two crutches by his side. 

The 60-year-old has continued to work through the discomfort and obvious logistical difficulties and has been in charge for each of City’s seven matches since, although he’s had to spend the majority of the 90 minutes either seated in the dugout or stands.

He’s undergone a series of tests, which have confirmed he requires back surgery but has also linked it with his brain and/or nerve damage, and while the root of the issue is yet to be discovered, Pearson has thankfully ruled out anything particularly serious, such as cancer.”

https://x.com/bristolcitylive/status/1716007990162018375?s=46&t=Lrw08Dd2QjCu1binMEvLeQ

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

This forum has become an echo chamber. Everyone is assuming Nigel refers to the Lansdowns but from what I hear, there is a tense relationship with our DoF and that is what Nigel is referring to. 

If that is correct, and you might have the inside track, then who the hell does a bloke who made a complete and utter failure of football management, when he was handed the opportunity on a silver platter, think he is to question the selection and reasoning for selection of a player who has achieved far more in the game than he ever did by a manager who has also achieved far more in the game as both a player and a manager than he ever did?

If you are correct then Andy King could be quite easily forgiven for going up to said person and asking him what the **** he won in his career and also what mediocre (professional) level he spent playing it too.....................

The point is this is "Steve's money, Steve's club" (you have to remember HE HIMSELF was the one who first introduced this statement to the public domain, it's not an urban myth fabricated and embellished by OTIB) and as a result everything that goes on surely has to result with the buck stopping with him. You call it an echo chamber but an alternative view is we have a groundswell of similar opinion - the majority are not always wrong despite what a few "independent thinkers" who are a bit more educated, in their own minds, and know better than "the uneducated masses" would have you believe.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, eardun said:

Must admit I’m more worried about this article in the Post. I hope the medics can establish the cause of this quickly and Nige can get better soon. My money is on this clouding the contract situation as well. 

“Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson has revealed he is dealing with an unspecified neurological issue that is the source of his back problem and the reason he’s needed to walk with the aid of crutches for the last six weeks.

Pearson has been hampered by the ailment since the September international break, which has left the Robins boss in constant pain and unable to move without two crutches by his side. 

The 60-year-old has continued to work through the discomfort and obvious logistical difficulties and has been in charge for each of City’s seven matches since, although he’s had to spend the majority of the 90 minutes either seated in the dugout or stands.

He’s undergone a series of tests, which have confirmed he requires back surgery but has also linked it with his brain and/or nerve damage, and while the root of the issue is yet to be discovered, Pearson has thankfully ruled out anything particularly serious, such as cancer.”

https://x.com/bristolcitylive/status/1716007990162018375?s=46&t=Lrw08Dd2QjCu1binMEvLeQ

Loved this quote from him….’In the meantime, we as a working group of people have to adapt slightly how I and we work,” Pearson added. “You know already I’m a bit more of an observational type of person anyway, and it’s more about the work place really, more than anything’.

The article is here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-health-8849140

Wishing NP a speedy and full recovery.

38 minutes ago, eardun said:

I have ankylosing spondylitis which in my case means some vertebrae have collapsed and crushed my spinal cord. I have had surgery twice and take paracetamol, amitriptyline and morphine to suppress the pain.

Possibly Nigel has some similar issue, though you would think a MRI scan would have picked that up. He certainly has my sympathy!

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I like Nige and can appreciate the ways he has improved the club, but if I was in SL's shoes I'm not sure I'd give him a new deal at this point, I'd want to be more certain of our league position towards the end of the season. Team results have been inconsistent and although we moved up to 8th with our win yesterday we were close to being 16th or 17th had Coventry been able to shoot straight, it's too early yet to envisage where we're likely to end up. There's no reason to rush since Nige isn't a young up and coming manager who other clubs are likely to poach or tempt him away, he's generally seen as difficult to deal with. He's not improving his chances of a new deal by talking to the Press about perceived incompetence at Board level, that usually only ends in one way (I think it may have been affected by his recent illness).

If he wants to stay it's quite simple, if we're still in say the top 8 in March then I'm sure he'll be offered, say, a 12-month rolling contract but if we're entrenched in the bottom half as in previous years then I think SL will go for a change. Although most people on here want him to have a deal now, that's on the back of a win, if we'd lost yesterday then that would have been four defeats in five and opinions would be different. I hope he does well and is given a new deal, there's no point in changing for the sake of it like they do at most other clubs, but we have to show we can challenge in the top half at least.

I say this as someone who isn’t 100% convinced he is the the right man to take us forward - BUT - we need to make a decision soon for the overall stability of the club. 

We used to offer 1 year rolling contracts - I don’t see why we can’t offer that to Pearson now? If things don’t work out - it’s one years salary 

What it does do though is bring a bit of stability to the club. Don’t underestimate the impact this could have on current players and their mindset  - not to mention any potential targets in January.

Who would want to come here in January when the plan we would be selling to them could get ripped up 6 months later? 

Same with players here now - especially ones with contracts running down. Pearson may want them but if they know Pearson might not be here next summer - where will there heads be at?

Behind the scenes we are a disaster. Who is actually running the club day to day? How we are 8th in this league is beyond me 

Lansdown clearly wants out. Hopefully he sells up soon 

Edited by Andy082005
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I have ankylosing spondylitis which in my case means some vertebrae have collapsed and crushed my spinal cord. I have had surgery twice and take paracetamol, amitriptyline and morphine to suppress the pain.

Possibly Nigel has some similar issue, though you would think a MRI scan would have picked that up. He certainly has my sympathy!

Can be very nasty indeed AS. Sorry to hear of your troubles with this condition Chinapig. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

10 minutes ago, BS30 City said:

Seen a few snippets on social media saying that Gary Rowett is being lined up

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

• Thanks 1

Time for change.

There is Stockholm Syndrome with the Lansdowns. We could and should thrive without them and thats nothing to be frightened of.

Break it to make it. Nigel Pearson is the best manager (comparably) since Terry Cooper that this club has had and should be offered the chance to grow what he has seeded. Good on him for speaking out.

I will always love this club but if he leaves under these circumstances then I’ll take a watching, but distant brief for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

I'm not going to criticise SL or the ownership up to now, because in my opinion (especially in their early years) they did well for this club. And they've done more good than bad. The economy and football in the lower leagues have become harder and harder to financially support, which is why I'll always have respect for what SL has done... and especially proud that we have an owner who is a fan of the club - I would rather that than an oil baron from a far away country.

To have a manager who is personable, knowledgeable, level-headed, consistent and reliable is exactly what we've needed.

He's had next to no money to spend. Relying on cheap bargains or freebies to replace those that we've lost. 

For the future of our young players he is exactly the man we need in charge for at least another two seasons. Imagine the improvement the younger players will make with him in charge of their development alongside Tins. Our under 18's and 21's look quality and NP is the perfect man to manage their breakthrough in to professional football.

Our future on the pitch will be in safe hands.

I've never known a manager to be so calm under pressure, or level-headed when things are good or bad and its so reassuring to know we have someone with so much experience in charge. 

To not renew his contract would be absolutely ridiculous. 

The ownership have made a lot of very poor decisions over the years in terms of appointments, transfers and rebranding. If they can't realise that we have a managerial gem in NP would be the biggest F-up in their 20+ years of owning this club. 

NP must stay. He's the best thing to happen to us since the successful Cotts years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

I hear of a solid working relationship between the two, respect for each other’s viewpoint, not having to agree on everything…which sounds a bit like Nige’s relationship with RG too.

It isn’t gonna be the same as his relationship with say Steve Walsh at Leicester which started as a friendship before they ever started working together.

I think people outside of football think that there is 100% agreement on everything, that there are never arguments, never things that sometimes go a bit out of control, but from those I know who have been involved and share stuff, it’s commonplace.  In a sport where only eleven can start there will always be mutterings of discontent, favouritism, bullying, etc.

When you look back at Tinnion’s frustrations (as per Gregor story) with academy progress under LJ (let’s not open that debate back up), you’d imagine him seeing an average of 4.5 academy players getting onto the pitch each game, 3.4 starters and 6.5 in the match day squad, as something that warms his cockles and endears him to what Nige is doing.

Imagine those numbers with Semenyo and Scott still here, without injuries to Benarous, Conway and latterly Vyner?

I’d be interested as to what a “tense relationship” really means.

(on a very big digression, I wish Andy King had actually come through our academy, and not just been a City fan, yesterday felt like the “boy who returned to help his club”)

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

Following NP's comments yesterday, I sadly suspect that even if he isn't gone tomorrow morning, he will be after our next defeat, even if we win eight in a row first. 

It seems to me that Nige is bringing this to a head because he is aware that he won't be permitted to see his contract out anyway. 

If he leaves when his contract expires, then he will be owed nothing (financially, anyway) by the club. And presumably (I stand to be corrected), Lansdown would be unable to hush him up with a non-disclosure agreement. NP could say what he liked. 

Unlikely, but if he is sacked, I would absolutely love it if he told Lansdown to stick the rest of his money and told the world what is really going on.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You have my sympathy. 

• Thanks 1