IGNORED

Poll: Does Pearson Deserve a 24 Month Contract Extension

MelksRed

Pearson 24 Month Contract Extension  

920 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd have said 3 years from next summer but a resounding yes to the poll.

I don't think 3 is quite right, eventually people will get bored/frustrated and just want change for the sake of it, some are going to start asking what is he achieving over 4/5 years no matter what happens. I think 2 makes sense, if something goes wrong in season 1 then it's not too expensive to get rid.

• Hmmm 2

We still do lack cover/quality in certain areas but NP needs more transfer kitty than what he is getting to add to the squad.

It is truly amazing that despite selling our prized asset none is forth coming.

SL needs to update everyone on his plans for NP and this club not his bricks and mortar exploits.....wont hold my breathe though.

• Like 3

It will be tragic if he’s not offered an extension and the owners bring in a new man and we start all over agzun

Thetes a huge air of optimism at the Gate. 

Not that sny of us expect direct promotion but we are all happy with the team and the way we are playing. 

It’s a progress thing. 

NP done exactly the same at Leciester

Please give this guy more time Mr Lansdown 

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

It will be tragic if he’s not offered an extension and the owners bring in a new man and we start all over agzun

Thetes a huge air of optimism at the Gate. 

Not that sny of us expect direct promotion but we are all happy with the team and the way we are playing. 

It’s a progress thing. 

NP done exactly the same at Leciester

Please give this guy more time Mr Lansdown 

It’s would also be self-destructive and contradictory if SL continues to talk about the desire of getting to the PL. I know that’s a load of bollocks, mind. 

At the very least, a 12-month rolling contract should be on the table and I completely understand why Nige is irritated by it all. 

It's too nuanced for such a binary (although @MelksRed has attempted to make it trinary) question.

I vote "No" simply because a manager shouldn't be appointed/extended on the basis of "deserving" something based on past performance. That's a result based approach that assumes that past performance will inevitably be repeated or improved upon, despite the circumstances being different.

The decision should be made based on whether extending him increases our chances of success under future conditions. I'm not sure it does, especially as he seems pissed off again. I don't think it would decrease the chances though, hence I am not calling for him to be sacked or pushed out.

Honestly I'm apathetic. If he stays then there's some upsides definitely, equally him leaving would present opportunity.

Ps. It's not even a year since 56% on here voted to sack him so...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's too nuanced for such a binary (although @MelksRed has attempted to make it trinary) question.

I vote "No" simply because a manager shouldn't be appointed/extended on the basis of "deserving" something based on past performance. That's a result based approach that assumes that past performance will inevitably be repeated or improved upon, despite the circumstances being different.

The decision should be made based on whether extending him increases our chances of success under future conditions. I'm not sure it does, especially as he seems pissed off again. I don't think it would decrease the chances though, hence I am not calling for him to be sacked or pushed out.

Honestly I'm apathetic. If he stays then there's some upsides definitely, equally him leaving would present opportunity.

Ps. It's not even a year since 56% on here voted to sack him so...

You do realise that his 'results' off the pitch have been phenomenal. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 3

Think it’s pretty outrageous that he’s not and potentially won’t be given a look in at the “nest egg” that he essentially created. 

There’s an argument to be made that he’s done the job he’s been brought in for and it was always the plan of ownership for him to steady the ship until we were in a better position and then bring someone in they have more belief in to take us further. 

But to say you don’t think resigning him increases our chances of success is pretty unfounded imo. Almost every part of the club has improved since he’s come in. Work ethic. Culture. Squad Tenacity. Youth Pathway and our league position. 

In the end it depends on who’s available come summer . Sacking/letting him go without having someone in mind to takeover would be ridiculous imo but if there’s a manager that ol Stevey likes the cut of then I think pearsons stay will be over. 

For me it’s a resounding yes, might take longer to bring success than some would like, but we waited this long already, what’s a couple more years.

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pezo said:

I don't think 3 is quite right, eventually people will get bored/frustrated and just want change for the sake of it, some are going to start asking what is he achieving over 4/5 years no matter what happens. I think 2 makes sense, if something goes wrong in season 1 then it's not too expensive to get rid.

Most manager contracts have clause built in that the manager only gets paid for a year after his sacking or until he takes a new job! So giving him 2 or 3 years isn’t really that more expensive if we had to get rid!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

Most manager contracts have clause built in that the manager only gets paid for a year after his sacking or until he takes a new job! So giving him 2 or 3 years isn’t really that more expensive if we had to get rid!

As long as that's in there I wouldn't see the problem with a 3 year contract.

I think this poll has written BPs Monday morning headline:

"Overwhelming support for Pearson"

I'll leave JP to draft the copy, but expect to see 85% in it somewhere, together with a few quotes from the 'Post match' thread. He will also need to make a couple of basic spelling errors for authenticity (turn off that automatic spellcheck James). I'd be amazed if he could come up with a quote from SL, unless it's along the lines off 'Oi! You! Get off my golf course.' In theory SL might have stayed over to watch the women v Arsernal later today, so it might be worth JP staking out Ashton Gate. In which case the quote will be 'Oi! You! Get out of my box.'

I love Nigel Pearson tbh but I'm ok with him not being given a new contract right now. 

What I'm not ok with is that it seems like he's being completely left in the dark by those above which is just massively unfair.  He should at least know where he stands in terms of potentially getting a new deal or not.

We know he's gone through a lot with Covid and now the back issues so for him to not feel supported in this is quite frankly terrible. 

It's not surprising though, is it. The "club" have been silent to all of us for a good few years now

Edited by Roe

After sleeping on it and reflecting on the comments and thoughts, my overarching feelings now are…

1) What do the Lansdown’s expect to be happening now, that they feel aren’t being reached?

2) Who do they expect/have in mind that could do any better?

We know that they’ve become delusional in some of their more recent comment, I.e JL saying in his last ‘interview’ we should have more points (based on absolutely nothing), SL’s nest egg and Luton comments, saying in the last two seasons under LJ he expected us to be promoted (I think he even said, promoted easily?) etc. 

I think they’re now doubling down on delusion tbh. They think because they finances are much better, and we’ve ‘invested’ again albeit at a pittance of what’s been sold, they equate that to expectation. The reality is very very different in that we sold our best player when the season had already started, and the football operation weren’t allowed to replace him. That should lower expectations straight off the bat. 

I’m absolutely certain if asked about the academy, they’ll put the success of that & Scott/Conway/Bell’s pathway down to the HPC (I.e ‘my investing’), rather than quality of coaching and manager. I’d put my mortgage on it in fact. 

As said yesterday, we need a manager not head coach because we need someone who’ll be more of an overseer than a hands on, on the training ground every day coach like LJ & Holden were. Those set ups say “I’m here to coach” and don’t get involved in operational stuff, but there’s such a void in the operational side due to how absolutely horrifically structured we are that we’ll need a Manager to plug those gaps. Even Coppell didn’t get involved in it, and look what happened there. History is likely going to repeat itself. 

Let’s not forget that if Pearson goes, it’s not a look at the manager odds and predict who’ll come in and scour the rumours. It’ll also very likely mean Fleming, Euell, and even bigger Rennie probably going too. The latter being an absolute huge cog behind the scenes not just linked to our improved fitness, but again as a leader around the HPC every day. 

They’ll be in for a shock if they think they’ll get a huge name flock to the job and be happy to work under the financial constraints in place, with the squad we have, too. Again, unless that’ll just be scrapped for whoever is the newbie.

Nothing at all seems to be adding up to me tbh, outside of it being a personal dislike of him or a more worrying genuine delusion that we should be 1/2/3rd right now just because we’ve actually made some signings in the last two windows. 

I personally now can see Pearson leaving being sped up before Christmas, or a new short term deal being given in January at the earliest if it’d literally be inexcusable not to because we’re top 7/8 or something. I can’t see signings wanting to jump on board when they’re going to be speaking to a manager about the future, and he doesn’t even himself know if he’ll be there from May onwards due to a contract expiry rather than poor results. 

• Like 5

For the fantastic work Nige has done to date in my opinion he absolutely deserves a new contract, and on improved terms.

However, we don’t know what we don’t know. If for example he’s bailed SL up in front of others and called him an ostrich for the way he handled the Alex Scott transfer, then in reality he has to go… If SL genuinely believes or is concerned that Nige’s ongoing health issues could impact his ability to adequately perform his duties in the future then again, he probably has to go before things could  potentially turn messy. We’ll never really know all what goes on behind the scenes, but from the outside if it was a case of one or the other then I’m with Nige.

• Like 1