IGNORED

Ipswich Town home match thread

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Ironically thought the issue was in midfield. Knight and TGH both fairly poor today. Namely on the ball, not moving it quick enough.

We need a Scott replacement in Jan - just some kind of creative nous.

Bell and Weimann need to be dropped. 

Just too many lacking end product. If Cornicks chance goes across that line the perceptions changed.

We watched a different game then because Knight was superb. Constantly pressing even in the last few minutes, moved the ball well, always asking for it. 
Andi was off the pace today. Offered Sykes nothing in front of him to the point where Sykes was visibly annoyed in the second half. 

• Like 9
7 minutes ago, George Rs said:

I don’t understand this lacking ambition bollocks for this start to the season. In recent history sure but saying it now is a disservice to nige and his players.

We sit 2 points off play-offs with 8 (potentially now 10) first team injuries. After finishing 14th last season and losing the best player many fans have seen in a city shirt. 

No we aren’t Ipswich or Luton fair enough. But get a grip. The season isn’t dead and buried yet. 

The good news is that there are no more midweek games until 29th Nov and that 2 of the next 3 games are against sides in the relegation zone. Hopefully by the time we get to the end of November, we'll have some players back.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Played ok deserved a point for the effort they gave.what the hell the linesman was doing for their goal the winger was miles off side.and Sam Bell needs to be rested as he and Andy w offered nothing 2nite.now onto cardiff sat.

Agree with Weimann & Bell being our least effective players & Cornick was decent when he came on but for all his enthusiasm Yeboah offers little in terms of end product.  Weimann has to play centrally for me or not at all although understand with injuries he has to. 

I thought second half we gave it our all. Just lacked a bit of quality. Ipswich first half were superb. We certainly gave as much as we could second half.

Ipswich did manage the game well and their subs seemed to disrupt their rhythm second half. Overall I thought second half we were good for a point. 

Not sure what else we could have done given all the injuries. Well played City.

• Like 11
17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Eeeessshhhhh

98695329-90CA-4678-922F-E284791E860E.jpeg

Personally I think Conway needs to play alongside or just off someone, the front 3 need to be narrower, which I think with Pring and Sykes at FBs and Knight roaming in MF we could possibly do. Currently there’s just too much space between the forwards which largely leaves players too isolated, whoever has played in the centre of the 3 of late have largely spent their time chasing around with little to feed off.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Ipswich so good, so composed. Every clearance seemed to find one of their players whereas when we clear the ball away we’re just hitting an area and hoping someone’s there. They kept their shape unbelievably well.

I’m rarely that impressed by opposing sides. 

Felt there was quite a difference in quality tonight, but we gave it a good go for 20 odd mins of the second half. 

Sooner we get a proper keeper in the better. Also not impressed by Weimann & Bell at all the last two games. 

Exactly how it was. Nice to read an unbiased post. You can't fault the effort and we probably shouldn't be surprised with the injury list that we lack quality.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, tin said:

I thought we were better than them before the goal, during which time I’d have put my mortgage on Conway burying that free header, and they looked the better side until half time. After the break, O’Leary only had one proper save to make but I agree we were pedestrian. Our lack of movement off the ball in particular irritated me. 

YesY we started very well - for 10 minutes much the better side. But at this level, you can't waste the opportunities we created - the Conway header was a weak effort.

Before that, Bell was clean through but failed to control a difficult ball, recycles it to Pring who's backing up - a simple pass to Prings left side would have allowed a first time whipped cross, instead Bell passes too hard and to Prings right foot and the movement peters out. Minutes later Pring is clean through if he can control it properly, he'd be in the area and could get a shot off but miscontrols it, it gets stuck under his feet and peters out.

All in the 1st 10 minutes, all not good enough and nothing to do having lots of injuries. Just inconsistent  players not doing simple basics correctly.

After that, they're miles better until half time and deservedly lead.

But we should have been ahead by then and then who knows. At this level, our forward play in particular needs to be much, much better.

10 minutes ago, Dredd said:

We watched a different game then because Knight was superb. Constantly pressing even in the last few minutes, moved the ball well, always asking for it. 
Andi was off the pace today. Offered Sykes nothing in front of him to the point where Sykes was visibly annoyed in the second half. 

Agreed knight was always there as an outlet or to close down and chase, and TGH is a very underrated player, got a good eye for a pass, useful in tight areas and plays with his head up.

15 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I don't think the 'lacking ambition bollocks' is aimed at Nige or the players. In fact I know it isn't.

It's aimed higher up at people who spout ambition but do **** all to support it.

They’ve only ever seriously shown ambition for managers with the surname Johnson.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
31 minutes ago, Better Red said:

This is going to sound really harsh but I actually think he is doing more harm than good.

He is clearly not ready for this level but he is only 17 so that is no surprise if had composure in front of goal he already be at one of the prem clubs academies.

We have to play players who are at this level. It’s not a cup game it’s the league and he is taking the place of better more experienced players.

We cant just throw kids at it all the time and hope it works out.

It does take and yes he needs experience and this will def help him in the  long run but IMO it’s far to early at this stage

He’s no worse than the rest . His faults are no different to his teammates. His excuse he’s young and can improve . 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MayFifth said:

Ipswich fan here. 
Bit of an ugly win for us, very fortunate with the Cornick shot along the line.
You will be ok when your injuries clear.
No idea how we keep this run going, it's a bit surreal, but team spirit got us through tonight and a decent attacking play in spells.
Always enjoy a trip to Bristol, win, lose or draw.
Great city.

Fair play to you, ride the wave as long as it lasts. Hopefully we’ll catch a decent one some day :laugh:

4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Agreed knight was always there as an outlet or to close down and chase, and TGH is a very underrated player, got a good eye for a pass, useful in tight areas and plays with his head up.

Everybody needs a Jason Knight. Top player, top pro. He just needed more help tonight.

I don’t think TGH and James had their better games.

4 minutes ago, MayFifth said:

Ipswich fan here. 
Bit of an ugly win for us, very fortunate with the Cornick shot along the line.
You will be ok when your injuries clear.
No idea how we keep this run going, it's a bit surreal, but team spirit got us through tonight and a decent attacking play in spells.
Always enjoy a trip to Bristol, win, lose or draw.
Great city.

You're a good team great support tonight as well. Momentum is a massive thing in football we did the same in 2007 when promoted.

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

YesY we started very well - for 10 minutes much the better side. But at this level, you can't waste the opportunities we created - the Conway header was a weak effort.

Before that, Bell was clean through but failed to control a difficult ball, recycles it to Pring who's backing up - a simple pass to Prings left side would have allowed a first time whipped cross, instead Bell passes too hard and to Prings right foot and the movement peters out. Minutes later Pring is clean through if he can control it properly, he'd be in the area and could get a shot off but miscontrols it, it gets stuck under his feet and peters out.

All in the 1st 10 minutes, all not good enough and nothing to do having lots of injuries. Just inconsistent  players not doing simple basics correctly.

After that, they're miles better until half time and deservedly lead.

But we should have been ahead by then and then who knows. At this level, our forward play in particular needs to be much, much better.

Absolutely brilliant post. That’s our biggest problem we lack accuracy/execution of promising situations. Someone slips over or takes a bad touch or hits the first man. It’s schoolboy stuff at times from us in the final third.

They’re a decent group giving their all but we seriously lack quality. For all the talk of injuries I can’t see much final third attacking quality that could come back and change things.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Short of Idehen being recalled from internal exile that would be scraping the barrel.

Left back? Bell??

Sykes Dickie Pring Bell

Makeshift wouldn't begin to cover it.

Without stating the obvious, that’s what we are. Threadbare. Back to the 1970s with 1 sub. Lacking in depth and quality. Love the player’s attitude though, fought tooth and nail second half despite limitations. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

16 years ago we nearly achieved something but didn’t.

Forgive me for not rushing to find the bunting.

You need to strap in and grow a pair mate. I’m 54 and caught the back end of the glory days, and all of the demise. You either love this club or you don’t. Trust me, I wish I didn’t but I do. Thats why I’m going to have a shit few days until Saturday. Then I’m back in the saddle.

I don’t think we’ll reach the premier league in my life time, but, **** it, I’m going to cheer us on with little hope until I curl my toes up. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 5
  • Robin 5