IGNORED

Ipswich Town home match thread

My main takeaway from tonight is my dreams are fading for another season… but for such a different reason to normal. Usually by now we’ve shown we’re not a realistic play-off hopeful, but that’s not it this year. I believe in this manager and I believe in this set of players. Reel off our best Matchday 20 in your head and you’ll realise we’ve built a gritty, talented squad who will fight for us tooth and nail. All that’s killed us is depth. 

My frustrations are not with Nige or the players at all. I don’t know why we have 10 injuries. But I believe if we didn’t, we’d be a frightening team for most opposition. 

• Like 8
24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If you’re 60 that means you’ve seen us in the top flight. Count yourself lucky! I genuinely don’t think there is a more long-suffering group of supporters in football than City fans of my generation, in terms of achievement against potential.

Down the A4 in Corsham. Thank God I'm over 60. I've seen highs and lows, and seen the club wealthy and skint. Mid Table Tier 2? I'll take it but I want more

• Like 1

Absolutely mad seeing Andy King at CB, given there was a time with us when he was the Championship Frank Lampard, actually thought he did alright though. Knight looks a useful little player for you. 

Thought it was a fair result really. Ipswich are having an unbelievable season tbf, any other year and they’re top. So direct and quick - was hoping you’d win tonight but with a small squad that’s got lots of injuries against a rested team that’s flying, it was a decent effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Ipswich have spent a large amount in the last 18 months if they don't go up then they are not in a good place.  They've rolled the dice not like Luton who frugally chipped their way up the league.

They've got 3 expensive premier loans, and they have signed a few, and given new contracts to a few.  

We on the other hand have just recovered from one nightmare only to be confronted with some odd nonsense about nest eggs.

You may have misinterpreted my comments. This isn't necessarily a criticism of Pearson or the position he's put us in - he's done a good job.

Luton and Ipswich are showing different ways in which success can be achieved in this division (granted, Ipswich aren't there yet, but you'd be very brave to bet against them right now). There isn't a right way or wrong way to make progress and achieve promotion, but unfortunately we've been unable to do this in any way.

It's an undeniable fact that historically we have underachieved. Seeing teams overtake us, be that Luton, Ipswich, or anyone else, should be an immense source of frustration for our fanbase. 

That doesn't mean Pearson isn't doing well, we should want him out, or we should expect promotion this season. However, if we're going to be successful, it's important that we feel this frustration and use it as a source of hunger and expectation to achieve things ourselves.

Strangely, some members of our fanbase/forum seem to find it 'confusing' that our fans might not like seeing other teams overtake and outperform us.......

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

We miss Naismith massively 

We miss Zak just as much, but Dickie was excellent tonight, particularly in the second half, and Andy King gave 100% too.

I thought we played well tonight and shaded the second half.  Don’t understand the criticism of Yeboah - that was the best I’ve seen him play - and the substitutions made a real difference.  I’d certainly start Cornick on Saturday…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, tin said:

Wasn’t impressed with Ipswich and I don’t get the hype.

Eh? Their football first half was light years ahead of ours and some of the best I've seen at The Gate in ages - positive, direct, pacy, technical football. They didn't even bother time wasting second half, which was a more even 45 but the right team won. We are pedestrian in comparison to them.

I agree about OLeary and Cornick.

Our keeper just fell over backwards for their goal. A deflection? Who cares  they had someone who could shot accurately from outside the box! Can't believe Cornick"s effort didn't cross the line but we didn't deserve it over the 90 because we have far, far too many players who follow one good piece of play with a poor one.

Even though we've patched up side, that's not good enough.

Dickie was brilliant, the rest of them need to do much  much better.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

I don’t understand this lacking ambition bollocks for this start to the season. In recent history sure but saying it now is a disservice to nige and his players.

We sit 2 points off play-offs with 8 (potentially now 10) first team injuries. After finishing 14th last season and losing the best player many fans have seen in a city shirt. 

No we aren’t Ipswich or Luton fair enough. But get a grip. The season isn’t dead and buried yet. 

• Like 7

Ipswich so good, so composed. Every clearance seemed to find one of their players whereas when we clear the ball away we’re just hitting an area and hoping someone’s there. They kept their shape unbelievably well.

I’m rarely that impressed by opposing sides. 

Felt there was quite a difference in quality tonight, but we gave it a good go for 20 odd mins of the second half. 

Sooner we get a proper keeper in the better. Also not impressed by Weimann & Bell at all the last two games. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

I thought when it clicked for Ipswich they looked great. Fast, incisive, direct and attacking, a good watch. Getting the ball cleverly out of tight spaces and up the pitch with some serious velocity and skill along the way.

I though we battled well though and fought our way in when we had to - and pushed them out as well. I'm not sure they seemed to have enough answers to that to maintain their amazing start over the season, but they look a well deserved top 6 place for me currently.

1-1 would have been a fair result, but if you had to pick a winner it was them over us imo.

I thought Dickie was outstanding. Cornick did really well when he came in. Yeboah frustrated me with the constant pushes and trips - unnecessary so often. Need to see the goal back to judge, but apart from the front 3 who I thought were all lacking, a decent performance in really difficult circumstances.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Ironically thought the issue was in midfield. Knight and TGH both fairly poor today. Namely on the ball, not moving it quick enough.

We need a Scott replacement in Jan - just some kind of creative nous.

Bell and Weimann need to be dropped. 

Just too many lacking end product. If Cornicks chance goes across that line the perceptions changed.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Roberts injured too eh??

4-5 first teamers then the remainder of first reserves. Not a lot we can do really, our bench. Squad too light, not good.

Roberts clearly isn't injured as such, Nige said he pulled him because he was "limping around"

Read into that what you will, but he'll be available on Saturday.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Eh? Their football first half was light years ahead of ours and some of the best I've seen at The Gate in ages - positive, direct, pacy, technical football. They didn't even bother time wasting second half, which was a more even 45 but the right team won. We are pedestrian in comparison to them.

I agree about OLeary and Cornick.

Our keeper just fell over backwards for their goal. A deflection? Who cares  they had someone who could shot accurately from outside the box! Can't believe Cornick"s effort didn't cross the line but we didn't deserve it over the 90 because we have far, far too many players who follow one good piece of play with a poor one.

Even though we've patched up side, that's not good enough.

I thought we were marginally better than them before the goal, during which time I’d have put my mortgage on Conway burying that free header, and they looked the better side until half time. After the break, O’Leary only had one proper save to make but I agree we were pedestrian. Our lack of movement off the ball in particular irritated me.

Edited by tin
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, George Rs said:

I don’t understand this lacking ambition bollocks for this start to the season. In recent history sure but saying it now is a disservice to nige and his players.

We sit 2 points off play-offs with 8 (potentially now 10) first team injuries. After finishing 14th last season and losing the best player many fans have seen in a city shirt. 

No we aren’t Ipswich or Luton fair enough. But get a grip. The season isn’t dead and buried yet. 

I don't think the 'lacking ambition bollocks' is aimed at Nige or the players. In fact I know it isn't.

It's aimed higher up at people who spout ambition but do **** all to support it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Slack said:

Anyone annoyed at how dodgy their keeper looked ? 

Was so far out of his goal at times 

I said to a mate that’s the only way we looked like scoring, a mistake from their keeper and back line with the ball. 

Unfortunately we didn’t get our press right.