IGNORED

Ipswich Town home match thread

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

You need to strap in and grow a pair mate. I’m 54 and caught the back end of the glory days, and all of the demise. You either love this club or you don’t. Trust me, I wish I didn’t but I do. Thats why I’m going to have a shit few days until Saturday. Then I’m back in the saddle.

I don’t think we’ll reach the premier league in my life time, but, **** it, I’m going to cheer us on with little hope until I curl my toes up. 

It’s weird init. Like why put ourselves through it?

But we just do.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

They’re a decent group giving their all but we seriously lack quality. For all the talk of injuries I can’t see much final third attacking quality that could come back and change things.

Yes and for all the frustrations tonight, it's important to stress we've got a good bunch of honest, hardworking players who will fight for our shirt.

But boy do we lack quality. Dickie would get in their side, no-one else from tonight.

I have no problem losing to a team playing damn good football - if we were playing them again tomorrow, I'd happily pay another 43 quid but to watch Ipswich, not us.

It's our failure to do simple things consistently well that drives me nuts.

• Like 2

Over all not unhappy, did not expect to get much with so many injuries agsinst a high flying side, and so many playing either on way back from injury or inexperienced. Would have been interesting, if we could have has some of our 1st choice players in.

Tommy does not look back to fitness and really missing Wells which is the glue that holds the front 3 together. Andi looks a showdow of the all action player he use to be. King has done well covering and Skyes has been superb, but missed from the front line, how we are missing Vyner, Tanner, Atkinson and Naismith 

• Like 2

Decent performance tonight, but improved massively when Cornick and Yeboah came on. A lot of people being negative about a 17 year old, just like when Bell and Semenyo were spoken off in their early performances. His decision making will improve but up until him and Harry came on we were crying out for someone to run at them. Their energy put Ipswich under sustained pressure for the first time in the game. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

A decent performance tonight if not result; ironically played better than Saturday in the end although a very different game of course. 

Second half in particular we improved and could’ve easily got at least a draw with better luck and finishing.

As poor as Max was in the first half he did better in the second and made a few good saves. 

As much as I’ve like Weinmann we actually looked better when he went off I thought. 

One final point, I thought S82 and the standing section were superb tonight especially second half. It was also good to see the crowd appreciate the lads effort and despite the loss still got clapped off. Lots of positive support for NP too. 

• Like 4

I reckon our strikers are just all too small we need some physicality to hold the ball up , in all fairness Ipswich and to a extent other teams defenders have it so easy we lob it up to Tommy, Sam who are marked by 6’3, 6’4 giants that’s why we go back and sideways, tommys brilliant goal at Rotherham he was facing goal not with his back to it the best of the bunch is Cornick for physicality 

58 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Ipswich have spent a large amount in the last 18 months if they don't go up then they are not in a good place.  They've rolled the dice not like Luton who frugally chipped their way up the league.

They've got 3 expensive premier loans, and they have signed a few, and given new contracts to a few.  

We on the other hand have just recovered from one nightmare only to be confronted with some odd nonsense about nest eggs.

Not sure where you’ve got your information from for the first paragraph but it’s not accurate. We spent a lot getting out of L1 but our spend this summer was fairly typical by Championship standards. The board won’t have been gambling on promotion this season, in fact I doubt any of them would have expected us to have started as well as we have.

As for the game tonight, we just about shaded it. Thought Bristol City did very well at stopping our playing out from the back for the first five minutes. We’ve not looked as nervous on the ball since the opening 20 mins of the season at Sunderland. From that point, we controlled the first half. 

After the last half hour we were possibly lucky to escape with the win. We looked very nervy and City did well to exploit some of the spaces out wide, causing Hladky a lot of problems. Statistically he’s been the best shot stopper in the league and his distribution is top notch but he still doesn’t command his area enough. Felt like there could have been more opportunities created through the middle though. 

Our subs didn’t make much impact. Scarlett is still in the adjustment phase that all of our signings under McKenna have had to go through, given the complications of the roles in the system. We missed having Burns and Ladapo as options too, although I’m aware there were City players missing as well so not an excuse. 

If I had to rank that against the rest of our performances so far this season it would probably be somewhere in the middle. Happy to get three points out of that when at times it looked like we might have to settle for one.

My pre-season assessment of Bristol City as a team who will be pushing for the playoffs but probably just miss out hasn’t changed. I rate Conway very highly, even if he should have done better with that early chance, and defensively it’s a much better team than a few years back. 

For us, I have no idea whether it will continue. I had us down as a midtable side in pre-season so to be nine points ahead of third with a game in hand is ridiculous. 

It should be another good contest back at Portman Road. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Stockwood gate said:

I reckon our strikers are just all too small we need some physicality to hold the ball up , in all fairness Ipswich and to a extent other teams defenders have it so easy we lob it up to Tommy, Sam who are marked by 6’3, 6’4 giants that’s why we go back and sideways, tommys brilliant goal at Rotherham he was facing goal not with his back to it the best of the bunch is Cornick for physicality 

Players Vyner, Atkinson, Naismith would help us to play through or carry into midfield, likewise a proper genuine option at RB, cannot understate the impact injuries are having on us.

• Like 3

When I read through match day threads once I have arrived home Isometimes feel as if I have watched a different game to others. 

We're we fantastic tonight? No, but I felt as if we put in a very committed performance and unlucky to not score at least one. Great atmosphere and it was a game I really enjoyed. 

Second half we went for it but just couldn't find a goal. 

The one thing that certainly can't be faulted tonight is the players effort. Maybe in the end we lacked a bit of quality but those players on the field gave it there all. So the reaction by some is somewhat surprising. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Players Vyner, Atkinson, Naismith would help us to play through or carry into midfield, likewise a proper genuine option at RB, cannot understate the impact injuries are having on us.

Absolutely agree injury’s are killing us once they return we will be fine the point I was trying to make all our strikers are the same we don’t have a plan B when plan A does not work , someone like a Famara would be great in our team 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, glynriley said:

You need to strap in and grow a pair mate. I’m 54 and caught the back end of the glory days, and all of the demise. You either love this club or you don’t. Trust me, I wish I didn’t but I do. Thats why I’m going to have a shit few days until Saturday. Then I’m back in the saddle.

I don’t think we’ll reach the premier league in my life time, but, **** it, I’m going to cheer us on with little hope until I curl my toes up. 

Absolutely spot on there mate. I couldn't agree more. I'm 53 so we both know the ups and downs, the good days and the bad days but it's in the blood and we can't ever remove that even if we wanted to. I also don't think I'll ever see us in the Premier. We just don't ever seem to get it right on or off the pitch and no one seems to know how to fix this. :(

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Decent performance tonight, but improved massively when Cornick and Yeboah came on. A lot of people being negative about a 17 year old, just like when Bell and Semenyo were spoken off in their early performances. His decision making will improve but up until him and Harry came on we were crying out for someone to run at them. Their energy put Ipswich under sustained pressure for the first time in the game. 

I don't understand the negative comments towards Yeboah. He caused them endless problems. Maybe he just needs to slow it down slightly or stop over thinking but he was close to either scoring or providing a goal tonight. 

Eventually it will come off for him if he keeps performing like that.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't understand the negative comments towards Yeboah. He caused them endless problems. Maybe he just needs to slow it down slightly or stop over thinking but he was close to either scoring or providing a goal tonight. 

Agreed on Yeboah. He was dangerous when he came on, caught Brandon Williams out a couple of times. 

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

We watched a different game then because Knight was superb. Constantly pressing even in the last few minutes, moved the ball well, always asking for it. 
Andi was off the pace today. Offered Sykes nothing in front of him to the point where Sykes was visibly annoyed in the second half. 

He did in the second half more, no question.

Just too many times up to the 60th minute mark both him and TGH spent dallying on the ball at times. Pass, then no movement after.

44 minutes ago, MayFifth said:

Ipswich fan here. 
Bit of an ugly win for us, very fortunate with the Cornick shot along the line.
You will be ok when your injuries clear.
No idea how we keep this run going, it's a bit surreal, but team spirit got us through tonight and a decent attacking play in spells.
Always enjoy a trip to Bristol, win, lose or draw.
Great city.

I think Ipswich deserved the win. After a few minutes of City coming out looking up for it, your lot completely dominated the first half and whilst the goal was weak from a City perspective, it felt like it was coming. Ipswich just looked much more confident and knew exactly who to pass to when in possession. 

We grew into the second half eventually and had about 25 minutes where we finally wrestled the momentum, forced some errors and got on the front foot. We didn't have the quality though, and we can't expect to come back to grab cheeky points like that.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He looks to me like a player who isn't confident in front of a big crowd, and we don't have time to let him bed in.

Frustrating game. I thought we started brightly. Conway should have done better with the header. Then we gave their player far too much room for their goal and were second best for the rest of the first half. Far too often they had space in the middle and yet again we put ourselves under pressure with poor passing. 

Second half we improved and Cornick made a difference. We did enough to get a draw. 

Ipswich played well as a unit and were clearly but based on tonight’s game they were nothing special and will fall away. But when we played Luton at home last season I thought they looked like a relegation team and got promoted, so what do I know. 

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

I love GJ Mr P but lansdown over indulged him budget wise in his last couple of years with us.

Possibly so Milo but not as much as LJ was overindulged, the squad was too big yes albeit we perhaps thought we were onto quite a good thing and were looking to go for it with momentum from first couple of years.

It's so infuriating the current situation though, I have a little bit of caution due to the whole stadium redevelopment still ongoing, final year of one year FFP in 2015 but there is zero excuse whatsoever now after 2 years of heavy lifting plus Scott and Semenyo sale.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

I meant a full on meltdown SJ - with our injuries I’d be surprised (And delighted) if we get anything over there with them in form 

Their will be some crawling out in full on mode , you can be sure

Oh right, I see. You are talking about the Cardiff game. Fair enough. 

I was talking about who would be in charge for it. 😪

• Like 1
4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

How much have Ipswich spent on their squad since getting promoted. Genuine question as if it isn't much then SL will no doubt be saying we should be able to match them.

Around 3.5 million........unlike us they have been fortunate with injuries, they also have an excellent coach.  They are a team better than the sum of their parts , full of confidence after promotion, and very well organised?          

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Spot on.

Even with just Tanner (what on earth happened there?) & either Vyner or Naismith available we look a different prospect, with Sykes (who was very good) able to play in his natural position.

The sheer number of injuries & not replacing Kalas after he moved on, is killing us.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on the late Cornick chance, that rolled along the line.

Sort of thing that goes on when you're on a roll and goes against when your luck is out.

See also, West Brom at home Boxing Day perhaps when Phillips headed against his own woodwork from our corner, not long after they took the lead.

And then the clearance fell to Yeboah who then miscontrolled it. Had he of controlled it he'd have had an empty goal to slot it home. 

Just the way it goes some times.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, glynriley said:

“Strap in and grow a pair”.

Sorry, didn’t realise that observing we have achieved **** all in my 40 years on earth makes me somehow mentally weak.

I would also have thought that having remained loyal to the club throughout that time makes it pretty bloody obvious that I’m very clearly “strapped in” and also love the club.

But I also hate it. I’m born into it, I’m stuck with it, and it’s given me so little compared to what football has given friends who support other clubs.

I’m allowed to be annoyed about it, in fact being annoyed about it is the very essence of being a true supporter. If you understood that, you wouldn’t be telling me to “grow a pair”.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
7 hours ago, Ian M said:

Won't happen. By the time we get 3 or 4 back, another 1 or 2 will get injured due to us not being able to manage their workload during games.

I think he was being ironic, the point being we hardly tore up the league before the injuries. See our home form.

But like you, It seems obvious to me that if we play a high intensity game, we’re likely get more injuries. That’s why we needed a bigger squad. We are at least two decent players light. To have Andy King playing centre back again within three months of the season starting is simply ludicrous. It drove me mad when we were forced to play him there last season and now it’s happened again.

Also, when you have a small squad, you can’t afford to get too many signings wrong, eg Roberts, Mehmeti, Cornick. And McCrorie is the unfortunate one. 4/7 of this year’s signings are not working. 

• Like 1