IGNORED

Ipswich Town home match thread

8 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

My main takeaway from tonight is my dreams are fading for another season… but for such a different reason to normal. Usually by now we’ve shown we’re not a realistic play-off hopeful, but that’s not it this year. I believe in this manager and I believe in this set of players. Reel off our best Matchday 20 in your head and you’ll realise we’ve built a gritty, talented squad who will fight for us tooth and nail. All that’s killed us is depth. 

My frustrations are not with Nige or the players at all. I don’t know why we have 10 injuries. But I believe if we didn’t, we’d be a frightening team for most opposition. 

Bang on for me this 

I watched a team at least try last night, we gave it a good go last 20 with Sykes as a right back and academy players on the pitch 

sadly as you say, it's depth that will kill us this season 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

Bang on for me this 

I watched a team at least try last night, we gave it a good go last 20 with Sykes as a right back and academy players on the pitch 

sadly as you say, it's depth that will kill us this season 

I’m personally hoping we can just stay a couple or three wins off the play off positions come march then hopefully with players back ( no doubt we will lose more ) we can at least have some hope , not that I think we would have a chance gof going up just some hope and progress , this season the top 2 or 3 teams seem along way off from where we are .

weird league though as we know we could easily have got a point tonight in the end with a scratch side out and Stoke (even though they beat us ) I thought we’re really poor go and beat Leeds tonight

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I meant a full on meltdown SJ - with our injuries I’d be surprised (And delighted) if we get anything over there with them in form 

Their will be some crawling out in full on mode , you can be sure

In form? I'd not worry about a generous 4-0 scoreline against Huddersfield in a game where they were out passed, out shot, and outmuscled. The only stats other than the scoreline where they meaningfully beat Huddersfield where blocks, interceptions, saves, and clearances. 

They're probably a similar level to us. I think it's reasonably possible that we come back over the Severn with 1 or even 3 points.

Overall their recent form is only fractionally better than ours, and I'd argue we've had the tougher run of fixtures.

Screenshot_20231026-070515.png

• Like 1

Left it until today for my thoughts, I try and ignore the kneejerk reaction.

They are a side built well over a few years to play a passing game and they do it well. Control and move the ball well and their movement is good, but I'd say over 90 it was an even game.

We started well and could have been ahead. TC's chance wasn't as easy as I first thought, he had to readjust a little, but I do think he could have done better. 
They they had a purple patch where they passed around us, got the goal and caused us problems. Max dealt with everything pretty well , one good save , except the goal, which looks worse every time I see it. It's probably that awkward spot, too far to kick and close enough to make it difficult to dive, looks bad though.

One thing , the initial break before the goal looked 5 yards offside, infact the linesman spent most of the first half well behind play and looking lost. After the goal I think the abuse got to him and I think he realised as I've never seen anyone stare at the back line so intently but not look to see the pass. Another break just after, the Ipswich player was onside but the Lino was so far behind play he could only guess.
Yes we had several chance to clear before they scored, but it looked so far offside as to have been an easy decision and stops that run of attacks.

2nd half we got back into it but the front 3 were pretty ineffectual . TBF Bell was doing a bit, but he can be very loose in possession. His first touch was poor and meant we missed out on good positions, he did cause a few problems with his running. Tommy looked a little lost, didn't seem to have a run in him, specially 2nd half. Weimann looked completely out of it. While I get the wide man moving in to make space, he was doing it so early as to mean Sykes didn't have a pass or the space to run in to. That changed massively when Cornick came on, we got into the wide areas and the movement really troubled them . Yeboah added some energy and directness , though he is still very raw, unlucky he couldn't control it when the ball was cleared off the line.

Dickie outstanding again.
Knight has one hell of an engine, but he's doing the work of TC & AW at the moment.
Good shift from Pring.
Sykes doing a good job filling in.

Roberts was a strange one. Pearson said he was limping and he didn't want a limping player against their hard running, but he did sound a little annoyed to me and Roberts jogged back around ok. May turn out OK if there is a chance King could be missing Saturday, though Pearson did sound optimistic abut that at least.

Until we get players back we are just stuck.
On last night I wouldn't want Weimann on the right, maybe down the middle, but perhaps TC needs games.
Then again will Pearson want to be a bit cautious with Conway after being out so long ? 3 90's in a week may be a push.
Nige clearly doesn't see Mehmeti in this team and with Roberts last 2 games I doubt he sees him starting.
Which means same again Saturday ? 

One last thing, a mention for the last sub. Joseph James, the only info I can see is, defender. Ignoring the Roberts sub/subbed thing, the lad got into some good positions wide, loads of space and never got a pass. There were at least 3/4 occasions we moved the ball around to the left, the pass is on and we go back across. Not sure if it was because he's from the U18's and they didn't trust him, but completely pointless him being there if they don't pass to him.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Ipswich passed well but over did the play between their keeper and defenders. If we had pressed with full committment a couple of times we could have embarrassed them.

They fell off the game in the last 20, probably due to not playing matches recently. Thought a draw would have been fair.

The old cliche of the final ball is very true of us. Do we look up before crossing? Not sure we do.

3 hours ago, redkev said:

Personally thought without any star names how well coached they were . Seemed to know exactly how to defend and how to break on us , look comfortable on the ball and new where the next pass was going . Personally think McKenna has a decent future in the game .

Exactly what I thought too. Leicester and Leeds: they are different level in terms of individual players: any of their starting XI would walk into ours. How teams without the benefit of parachute payments have to counter that is by team spirit, self belief, coaching etc - the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. We do that to a degree but I thought Ipswich were different level on that respect. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s been done to death the rebuild he’s had to do . Do you not see that ? Where we are now to three seasons ago is chalk & cheese. Really do wonder about some of fans 🤪

Totally agree , people are forgetting how bad it was when he first arrived , I know injuries are a big factor at the moment the trouble is we really need to start to show a bit more consistency I know it’s tough with injuries but it all seems a bit 2 steps forward 2 steps back this season , I thought this season we would be not far away ( still time though ) but need players back and a new keeper , creative midfielder, . The team has deffo got more fight / grit about them 

11 minutes ago, redkev said:

Totally agree , people are forgetting how bad it was when he first arrived , I know injuries are a big factor at the moment the trouble is we really need to start to show a bit more consistency I know it’s tough with injuries but it all seems a bit 2 steps forward 2 steps back this season , I thought this season we would be not far away ( still time though ) but need players back and a new keeper , creative midfielder, . The team has deffo got more fight / grit about them 

I think you’re right about the team spirit: the fight/grit. What worries me is the coaching. As you said earlier, Ipswich were far more controlled, incisive, decisive,  moved better, gave players options, knew what to do when. We were second best in all those respects. I know we had injuries, but so did Ipswich. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think you’re right about the team spirit: the fight/grit. What worries me is the coaching. As you said earlier, Ipswich were far more controlled, incisive, decisive,  moved better, gave players options, knew what to do when. We were second best in all those respects. I know we had injuries, but so did Ipswich. 

Not sure Ipswich were as hamstrung with injuries as us… Wells, Williams, Vyner, Naismith and Tanner would have all likely been playing if fit. That’s literally half the outfield team.

1 minute ago, FNQ said:

Not sure Ipswich were as hamstrung with injuries as us… Wells, Williams, Vyner, Naismith and Tanner would have all likely been playing if fit. That’s literally half the outfield team.

Sure, and I’m not trying to suggest exact parity. But I don’t think that alone makes the difference in terms of how much better coached they seemed to be. 

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Sure, and I’m not trying to suggest exact parity. But I don’t think that alone makes the difference in terms of how much better coached they seemed to be. 

If Ipswich would have been playing a midfielder as centre half, an attacking winger as a full back and then having to switch their left back into the middle of the back four as well as having to sub a sub through another flaming injury then perhaps they would have struggled more than they did. BTW, I honestly thought we were worth a point.. given our plight and their momentum coming into this game I thought we did OK.

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Then you get depth players, who can help to make a difference who can help shore up or else the pressure on the current side- see out a position. King should be one of those,not a starting centre back.

The injuries mean Sykes is out of position, King is out of position. Weimann to an extent but not wholly.

Instead the bench is filled with raw academy players and even Idehen such is our plight!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FNQ said:

If Ipswich would have been playing a midfielder as centre half, an attacking winger as a full back and then having to switch their left back into the middle of the back four as well as having to sub a sub through another flaming injury then perhaps they would have struggled more than they did. BTW, I honestly thought we were worth a point.. given our plight and their momentum coming into this game I thought we did OK.

I thought we did OK too. Especially in the circumstances. But I still thought Ipswich were better than us.

Just to change the theme slightly: interesting - given our attitude to loan players - that they had three. And if I remember right, they may have even had all three on the pitch for the last 20 minutes or so. Didn’t seem to affect their team cohesion. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just to change the theme slightly: interesting - given our attitude to loan players - that they had three. And if I remember right, they may have even had all three on the pitch for the last 20 minutes or so. Didn’t seem to affect their team cohesion. 

We could certainly have done with a Tammy Abraham last night!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I thought we did OK too. Especially in the circumstances. But I still thought Ipswich were better than us.

For some 1.5 years we were bssmt hamstrung and PL loanees perhaps not an option.

Surely NP would welcome one or two now post the big financial reset and Scott sale but our hands are tied by the board.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Ipswich passed well but over did the play between their keeper and defenders. If we had pressed with full commitment a couple of times we could have embarrassed them.

You're not the first to mention this, and you won't be the last, but I would not say they "over did" this (or anything else, for that matter). It's all very much part of their plan, the old rope-a-dope trick - get us to over commit and leave acres in behind, which they are exceptionally good at exploiting. This is from a Guardian article last week about their goalkeeper Hladky:

Hladky recognises the direction of the conversation and smiles. He is being taken back to Ipswich’s win over Hull this month and his contribution to an extraordinary goal. Leaving two onrushing opponents for dead with a turn and pass deep inside his own six-yard box, he opened up a new angle of attack and watched Conor Chaplin finish off a thrilling move 16 seconds later.

The sequence went viral and the goalkeeper’s influence was lost on few. “It was pure instinct,” he says, choosing his words modestly. “It’s on me to pick the right option, and sometimes you have to do something a bit extra.”

Everything is coming off for Ipswich, who have won nine of 11 games in the Championship by playing some of the best football in the country. The same can be said of Hladky, who has faced down ferocious presses and, time after time, opened teams up from the back "

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Some of our fans were reluctant for us to get loans in but it’s self-defeating not to. Premier League clubs hoard so much talent in their academies that it’s a market all championship teams need to exploit if they’re to succeed. Even Burnley and Sheff Utd with their parachute payments relied on borrowed players for a lot of the season. 

I think we’ve got the sweet spot with three. Williams is a key player, Hutchinson is great off the bench and Scarlett has a bit part role. It gives us the injection of quality without making the team overly reliant on them in a way that Coventry and Middlesbrough last year. 

• Like 1

So, following a night's sleep and a little objective thought....

1. We didn't embarrass ourselves last night. 

2. We held put own against an inform team and limited them to very few clear opportunities.

3. Our defence parted like the ocean in front of Moses (other religious focal points are available) to set up a goalkeeping error that, ultimately, cost us three points. But equally the goal was taken well. Two errors....one collective punishment.

4. We didn't immediately crumble...instead, remained positive and on the front foot for much of the game. Showing resilience.

5. Created too few clear opportunities and the ones that presented themselves either fell to nobody or inexperienced players. Sometimes that's the way life is. Must capitalise going forward.

6. Deffo need a creative midfielder and a striker to have that lethality in the final third. Too long have we relied on those who, to be honest, are up and down in terms of form....Tammy was probably the last 'in form' striker we had....everything that hit him seemed to end up in the net. 

7. I genuinely enjoyed the game last night. It was end to end and, yes, we ended up lumping it for a while, but reverted to playing through the middle on a pivot....that yielded some good opportunities. Often the final ball was a little lacklustre.

8. All in all.. a decent night's entertainment. Unliuck not to pinch a point (unlucky Cornick)...but it wasn't an annihilation or embarrassment. 

9. If we could mimic thier discipline in terms of set up we would be a force to be reckoned with. That, of course, comes with a depth on the squad which we simply don't have.

10. Cardiff next......COYRs.

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 2

Feel slightly sorry for Pearson and the injury decimated squad.

Pleased to see various tired players trying their best in difficult circumstances, and carrying a few of their below-par team-mates. However, even their extra effort was not enough to scrape another precious point. Dickie done well again, and Cornick, surprisingly, was more of a threat than Conway or Bell.

The atmosphere last night was disappointing yet again. Lots of familiar faces appeared to be missing last night (due to half-term?)

Embarrassing that we get continually out-sung by the travelling fans.

Journey home was nice and quick, which was probably the best thing about last night.

My boys and their mates were away on holiday, but watched the game on the Sky red button.

They tell me the clueless commentator called Pearson, "Michael Pearson", then twice said that TGH was on loan from West Brom, and also got the name of the player in possession wrong a few times.

Where do they find these inept "commentators"?

We'll need a miracle to get anything from Cardiff this weekend, but we live in hope.

18 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

The atmosphere last night was disappointing yet again. Lots of familiar faces appeared to be missing last night (due to half-term?)

There was plenty of effort to generate an atmosphere to be fair.....its needs risk and fire on the pitch to get a crowd fired up......we are somewhat safe due to our team selection....injury list is killing us at present. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Amazed that Pearson didn’t mention/or maybe see how far offside they were in the first phase of the attack. The lino was so far in front of our back 4 he clearly had no idea what had happened, the guy was about 5 yards offside. 

I want to see it again, I hope they upload the full game as in real time I thought it was one of the poorest decision (or non decision) I seen in ages. Yes we had chances to clear and Max could have done better, but if the Lino is anywhere near in line it's an easy decision. 

3 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

then twice said that TGH was on loan from West Brom

On loan with an option to buy isn't he ?

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Feel slightly sorry for Pearson and the injury decimated squad.

Pleased to see various tired players trying their best in difficult circumstances, and carrying a few of their below-par team-mates. However, even their extra effort was not enough to scrape another precious point. Dickie done well again, and Cornick, surprisingly, was more of a threat than Conway or Bell.

Journey home was nice and quick, which was probably the best thing about last night.

My boys and their mates were away on holiday, but watched the game on the Sky red button.

They tell me the clueless commentator called Pearson, "Michael Pearson", then twice said that TGH was on loan from West Brom, and also got the name of the player in possession wrong a few times.

Where do they find these inept "commentators"?

We'll need a miracle to get anything from Cardiff this weekend, but we live in hope.

Where were you sat last night sir? From where I was in the Dolman, I could barely hear Ipswich appart from a couple of times after they scored (although they were singing consistently). Then when the Cornick song started it was solid City noise for the entire remainder of the game and Ipswich fans were silent (or were drowned out)

We also started singing from the start but went quiet after they scored.

Still could have been alot better, but I thought it was so much better then recently.  Funny that all the singing coincided with our strongest part of the game - Almost as if it helps the players.... 🤔🤔🤔

10 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Ipswich passed well but over did the play between their keeper and defenders. If we had pressed with full committment a couple of times we could have embarrassed them.

They fell off the game in the last 20, probably due to not playing matches recently. Thought a draw would have been fair.

The old cliche of the final ball is very true of us. Do we look up before crossing? Not sure we do.

Did they over do it? They pretty much got out every time so it worked perfectly for them.

20 minutes ago, Dizz said:

Where were you sat last night sir? From where I was in the Dolman, I could barely hear Ipswich appart from a couple of times after they scored (although they were singing consistently). Then when the Cornick song started it was solid City noise for the entire remainder of the game and Ipswich fans were silent (or were drowned out)

Still could have been alot better, but I thought it was so much better then recently.  Funny that all the singing coincided with our strongest part of the game - Almost as if it helps the players.... 🤔🤔🤔

Barely hear Ipswich? Certainly could in E33. I didn't hear our fans once until late in the game.

51 minutes ago, Dizz said:

I was sat in the dolman and all I could here were the Ipswich fans

I'd probably left before our lot started singing (I do sit in the dolman!) 😜

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I want to see it again, I hope they upload the full game as in real time I thought it was one of the poorest decision (or non decision) I seen in ages. Yes we had chances to clear and Max could have done better, but if the Lino is anywhere near in line it's an easy decision. 

On loan with an option to buy isn't he ?

Sorry Mike, I just searched out the clip on wyscout.

IMG_8887.thumb.jpeg.71dfee9446eb2efd6abc3826414e0c12.jpeg

Was onside.  Was a helluva block by Dickie from Hirst’s shot from the cross and again from the follow-up.  We never got ourself back into shape before the goal.

• Sad 1