IGNORED

Cardiff City away match thread

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

Trigger warning: criticism of young player....

I really want Yeboah to be the young breakthrough talent, but he is so wasteful I can't help but be exasperated with him. I presume he's lethal in training but can't translate that to matchday??

I say this because I thought Mehmeti did some really tidy work today and didn't think he needed to come off. With the benefit of hindsight I wish he'd stayed on.

Obviously I do appreciate Yeboah running into the box which we don't do enough of, and appealing for a pen, which we also need to be better at, but he'd just tripped over the ball.

I recall virtually identical posts about Semenyo.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I wouldn’t be so sensitive. Doesn’t exactly matter does it 

Wouldn't say I'm being especially sensitive mate.

When I don't agree with someone, I at least have the balls to reply and explain my opinion on things. I don't tend to just leave a mildly insulting reaction, then run away and hide. It's bad enough being rude, but it's even worse being cowardly about it.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but no need for someone to be a pr*ck about it.

11 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

If he was Max from Leicester or Manchester as opposed to Max from Bristol he would have a whole thread calling for a new keeper. 

Don't agree at all. I think people think of a keeper as just shot-stopping. I get the desire for the spectacular and how good a shot-stopping can look (Something Bents in form was amazing at), but there is so much more to being a keeper these days.  Three occasions just in the game today where Max is out and stops an overload attack by rushing out. He reads the game really well and constantly tries to dominate his box. He is constantly an extra player to pass to in defense and plays the sweeper keeper part as well as any other keeper in the division. Is he the best keeper at this level, no. But is he below Champ quality? Absolutely not. He is a solid keeper at this level. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Who and what ‘high wages’ are we talking Harry

High in relation to who / what ?

And what do you regard as high wages - what do you reckon the older pros on ?

I think I understand Fevs correctly that our wage budget is akin to 2015/16

Says everything doesn’t it

Most teams are cutting the wage budgets since Covid. We’re not the only ones. 
In terms of the higher earners; that would be James, Wells, Weimann, Naismith. Can likely add Dickie to that too. And even though he’s not on a big wage, King is a complete waste of a wage. Sorry. 
I said at the time and I still stand by it that I wouldn’t have renewed Weimann and Wells. Even though we reduced their wage it would still be a significant figure. Remove Weimann, Wells and King and the wages saved could probably fund 5 or 6 players. 
This is another example of what I’ve always seen as our biggest problem - easy / lazy recruitment. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It was Pearson’s but “smaller squad” certainly didn’t mean that he expected to make only one loan signing after we got £25m for Alex Scott.

He didn’t want a situation where we pay the likes of Gilmartin, Watkins & Palmer not to play.

The injury situation does require explanation because it is killing us, but his version of a smaller squad probably wasn’t just 17 senior professionals & a collection of U21s.

We are two light.

Yep. I’m sure Nige would have wanted something more. That’s why I’m not laying the blame on him. 
It’s a collective. They collectively decided what the wage budget is and whether they were going to renew older pro’s contracts. It’s not all on Nige. Again - recruitment. It’s way too easy to have kept Weimann, Wells and King. I’d have said thanks and goodbye and we could’ve had 3 or 4 more first team squad players rather than these 3 who let’s face it have produced pretty much bugger all since their new contracts. 
Apparently they’re all very good off the pitch though. 🤣 Well, for the wages we lay out on these I actually want them to be bloody good ON the pitch too - in fact, with their experience and pay, they should be our best players - and they are pretty bloody far from that. 

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Who is the ‘we’?  Surely only SL. Note CEO left, not replaced.  Didnevoicean opinion.   Next in line poor old Nige?

As above, the WE is a collective. They’ve all decided what they want. That’s Nige, Tinnion, Lansdown and the Recruitment team. 

Edited by Harry
25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Although I'm generally happy with Max, he just has to have meaningful competition - and if that means paying for an experienced loan keeper to come, the case must be made.

Bajic seems only to be here to cover for injury or suspension for Max - not to provide an alternative.

Keeper is a strange position, and there are usually a few decent and experienced ones sitting about at clubs waiting their chance.

Agreed. Daniel Iversen would be my main target if SL opened the nest egg, and he’d go straight in as No.1 IMO.

I don’t think Max is the answer at this level unless the question is we want a cheap, hopeful punt. 

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, One Team said:

Completely agree. I can't believe how relatively little criticism he gets on here. He's a reasonable keeper, but he's not top 6 Championship level and does indeed cost us too many important goals. A new, experienced goalkeeper is a must, if nothing else to be good challenge for him. 

I’ve been saying this ever since Bentley left. O’Leary is a decent goalkeeper and a perfectly serviceable number two but the situation we find ourselves in with no competition at all for him is ridiculous really and a very good barometer for where we are. If he got injured we’d be in all sorts of trouble and it’s so blindingly obvious but we never did anything about it… 

• Flames 1
11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Most teams are cutting the wage budgets since Covid. We’re not the only ones. 
In terms of the higher earners; that would be James, Wells, Weimann, Naismith. Can likely add Dickie to that too. And even though he’s not on a big wage, King is a complete waste of a wage. Sorry. 
I said at the time and I still stand by it that I wouldn’t have renewed Weimann and Wells. Even though we reduced their wage it would still be a significant figure. Remove Weimann, Wells and King and the wages saved could probably fund 5 or 6 players. 
This is another example of what I’ve always seen as our biggest problem - easy / lazy recruitment. 

Yep. I’m sure Nige would have wanted something more. That’s why I’m not laying the blame on him. 
It’s a collective. They collectively decided what the wage budget is and whether they were going to renew older pro’s contracts. It’s not all on Nige. Again - recruitment. It’s way too easy to have kept Weimann, Wells and King. I’d have said thanks and goodbye and we could’ve had 3 or 4 more first team squad players rather than these 3 who let’s face it have produced pretty much bugger all since their new contracts. 
Apparently they’re all very good off the pitch though. 🤣 Well, for the wages we lay out on these I actually want them to be bloody good ON the pitch too - in fact, with their experience and pay, they should be our best players - and they are pretty bloody far from that. 

As above, the WE is a collective. They’ve all decided what they want. That’s Nige, Tinnion, Lansdown and the Recruitment team. 

So just to be clear here then you wouldn’t have renewed Weimann before the season when he scored 22?

I don’t know for a fact but I would be very surprised if King’s wage now would fund more than a single L1 player, let alone provide the money for anything more than a straight replacement.

I doubt very much there are many other Championship sides who have reduced their wage bill by 40% over this period (£13m cut in real terms) & have stayed competitive..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 12
1 minute ago, Sarumred said:

Go and support the gas if that's how you feel.

In fairness to @ChippenhamRed I'm not sure that's how football support works is it? We're all stuck with City. I'm a season ticket holder and on most of the occasions I've been able to get the the Gate in recent years I'd happily have settled for 'dull' over 'frustrated as hell'.

Argh frustrating but expected. The experience gap was clear to see, but what can you do with 10+ injuries? 

Thought some of the young lads did well. James - decent positioning wise but struggled going forward. Jamie KL did well coming on. Our defence was makeshift apart from Dickie. Weimann I was disappointed with, forgot he was playing at one point. Felt a goal was coming from a set piece from them too. Didn't think uch of Cardiff but it was all rather simple for them.

Can't mock the effort from the lads. Fans were great! Tough one to take. Credit for the effort but can't help feeling anger towards the board.

Walking back to Cardiff town in the rain surrounded by Cardiff fans singing "Bristol get battered" - ah well. Let's have them at Ashton Gate!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, mozo said:

Trigger warning: criticism of young player....

I really want Yeboah to be the young breakthrough talent, but he is so wasteful I can't help but be exasperated with him. I presume he's lethal in training but can't translate that to matchday??

I say this because I thought Mehmeti did some really tidy work today and didn't think he needed to come off. With the benefit of hindsight I wish he'd stayed on.

Obviously I do appreciate Yeboah running into the box which we don't do enough of, and appealing for a pen, which we also need to be better at, but he'd just tripped over the ball.

He is 17? Yes i repeat 17...............he shouldn't really be in the 1st team squad, if a decent forward had been recruited  with the money we made?   He is doing his best, but he is a raw kid thrown in at the deep end.    For example........Ipswich's George Hirst, who was outstanding on Wednesday, purchased from NP's old side Leicester last summer for £1.5 mill?

Edited by maxjak
20 minutes ago, mozo said:

I thought James did a really good job for his debut. Definite potential there, long term.

Sorry mate. I’d have to disagree. 
He looked very much out of place. 
Not a dig at him at all. But he was hugely out of his depth. When Knight-Lebel came on he looked eons more composed and in control. I wonder if we may have been better starting with Lebel rather than James. Lebel looked like he handled it much better. 

Again - not a dig at James. It’s not his fault but he should have been nowhere near the squad today. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So just to be clear here then you wouldn’t have renewed Weimann before the season when he scored 22?

I don’t know for a fact but I would be very surprised if King’s wage now would fund more than a single L1 player, let alone provide the money for anything more than a straight replacement.

I doubt very much there are many other Championship sides who have reduced their wage bill by 40% over this period (&13m cut in real terms) & have stayed competitive..

No I wouldn’t have renewed him. I did wonder if that next season if I’d regret my decision but I stand by it. 3 year contract and we’ve so far had 1 good year from it and I can’t see it getting any better right now 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Harry said:

No I wouldn’t have renewed him. I did wonder if that next season if I’d regret my decision but I stand by it. 3 year contract and we’ve so far had 1 good year from it and I can’t see it getting any better right now 

It's actually one good season since he arrived!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
16 minutes ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

I recall virtually identical posts about Semenyo.

I hope it just clicks. He's being given gametime ahead of older players for a reason.

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

He is 17? Yes i repeat 17...............he shouldn't really be in the 1st team squad, if a decent forward had been recruited  with the money we made?   He is doing his best, but he is a raw kid thrown in at the deep end.    For example........Ipswich's George Hirst, who was outstanding on Wednesday, purchased from NP's old side Leicester last summer for £1.5 mill?

So why has he played ahead of Mehmeti who is not 17?

27 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Do you believe that? The team we put out today would lose to pretty much every Championship side. The fact that the lads stayed in the game, battled and didn't get battered is the only positive from that.

Yes I do, you are not in a position to state that team would lose to ‘pretty much every championship side’, if that was the case then it certainly doesn’t say much on 1) Pearsons signings 2) Pearsons decision to push individual players into regular first teamers….I.e O Leary, Bell etc. We also did have options, NP didn’t need to start Bell on the left or Mehmeti in the 10. 

• Confused 1
Just now, johnheadbcfc said:

Is father time finally catching up with Weimann, for me his performance level has dropped since last season 

Weimann has never been great being asked to play wide right, or left, because he simply doesn't. He always drifts infield and stays there, leaving us with no out ball down the touchline. What has gone off for him is his finishing, when he had the season where he mainly played central and scored 22, everything was going in for him. Today he had 2 chances, first one he did well to reach but flicked well over, 2nd one a free header from a HTC fk, he headed well over when he arguably should be scoring, certainly working the keeper.

ooc at end of this season, and time to move on I'd say. 

5 minutes ago, Champs said:

Yes I do, you are not in a position to state that team would lose to ‘pretty much every championship side’, if that was the case then it certainly doesn’t say much on 1) Pearsons signings 2) Pearsons decision to push individual players into regular first teamers….I.e O Leary, Bell etc. We also did have options, NP didn’t need to start Bell on the left or Mehmeti in the 10. 

So you don’t think we had a severely weakened starting eleven today?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
43 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Precisely, Nige P is doing a good job with naff all £££s to spend. Pay peanuts …. Get monkeys

Think he has put together an alright squad with the moderate amounts he has had to work with. It does rely on most of the squad remaining available throughout and even then probably 2-3 light.

I really feel for him, hung out to dry maybe I dunno- but he deserves much better than he is getting.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4
50 minutes ago, One Team said:

Completely agree. I can't believe how relatively little criticism he gets on here. He's a reasonable keeper, but he's not top 6 Championship level and does indeed cost us too many important goals. A new, experienced goalkeeper is a must, if nothing else to be good challenge for him. 

Max isn't good enough to be a top half competing for play-off level team. Has cost us too many goals when we've been playing well. Distribution is poor too

On the Championship and cutting back post Covid point.

I think that was the case for a year, maybe 2 but it has gone into reverse at a lot of clubs IMO.

FFP has squeezed some, in other cases Parachute Payments running down or running out has impacted but overall I think the bottom has been hit..and the market is rising again, FFP permitting of course.

Birmingham, plus especially the 3 of Coventry, Hull, Stoke..look at some of their activity this summer.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous