IGNORED

Cardiff City away match thread

Trigger warning: criticism of young player....

I really want Yeboah to be the young breakthrough talent, but he is so wasteful I can't help but be exasperated with him. I presume he's lethal in training but can't translate that to matchday??

I say this because I thought Mehmeti did some really tidy work today and didn't think he needed to come off. With the benefit of hindsight I wish he'd stayed on.

Obviously I do appreciate Yeboah running into the box which we don't do enough of, and appealing for a pen, which we also need to be better at, but he'd just tripped over the ball.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

You weren’t supporting us when we reached the same stage of that competition under Jordan then? Or when we beat Liverpool away in the fa cup?

Yes. Tinnion's goal was magnificent. The Forest match not so much.

But beating Man U at our place was the best night of my supporting life in a meaningful Cup match. 

• Confused 2
1 minute ago, mozo said:

To be fair Graham, this has to be an opportunity to pick out who we're tye better players and the least good players were. You can't be sensitive to every criticism, unless you believe that every player has been flawless all season, in which case I wish I lived in that alternative universe!

There is never any context with some posters though, it is relentless.

Cornick for instance, although his opportunities have often been from the bench would certainly have expected to score more than twice so far. That is valid criticism, posting he’s shit or a waste of money (£300k!) isn’t.

Max should have done better with Ipswich’s goal (2 excellent saves afterwards) but there is now a massive pile on for the second goal, which was in my opinion not something I would expect him to save.

Some are just waiting to slag off certain players, Weimann is another one now.

It is rarely constructive or nuanced.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
6 minutes ago, One Team said:

Completely agree. I can't believe how relatively little criticism he gets on here. He's a reasonable keeper, but he's not top 6 Championship level and does indeed cost us too many important goals. A new, experienced goalkeeper is a must, if nothing else to be good challenge for him. 

Thing is - the only thing that anyone could argue was top 6 about Bristol City is the management who, whatever their critics might say, have at least been there and done it. Steve Lansdown hasn't invested in the current playing squad at a level that screams top 6 - we all know that. Unless he does so we'll be soldiering on with Max and a lad on the bench who's barely played a match...which is better than some on the bench today who have never done so.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
14 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

If it weren’t so so infuriating and serious, I’d find the idea that the “Board” might act positively hilarious. It would, I suppose, at least indicate that somebody’s still alive up there. Current indications are that rigour mortis has already set in. (And by the way, what Board?)

Stiff as a Board and Board shitless............perhaps they could use a small amount of the nest egg to buy Nige a new Injury Board.

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

Nor sure I am quite that strong about it but I get your points. Had we signed him a year or two ago then perhaps the fans views would be different. 

Absolutely. If hes a signing people would go mad. I love that we give youngsters a lot of grace for mistakes etc but max is like 26/27 years old. Hes quite inexperienced for his age but certainly is not good enough. 

It’s just shite, unfair and frustrating for fans giving up their hard earned cash to hear nothing from the people that actually supposedly run the club they support about the current crisis. It is really really very poor and disappointing. I am sure all the employees are trying their best but that’s easy.. they are all getting paid a fair wage and as much as they try are probably waiting for an opportunity for a better life and wage.. like As and As before him… can’t blame them.. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I've seen it back a couple of times. No way a penalty. He falls over his own feet, aided by standing on the ball. Lacked balance and conviction. A cannier, older pro would have got a pen there, or scored.

Are you allowed to pull shirts in the penalty area now then?

• Hmmm 1
Just now, GrahamC said:

There is never any context with some posters though, it is relentless.

Cornick for instance, although his opportunities have often been from the bench would certainly have expected to score more than twice so far. That is valid criticism, posting he’s shit or a waste of money (£300k!) isn’t.

Max should have done better with Ipswich’s goal (2 excellent saves afterwards) but there is now a massive pile on for the second goal, which was in my opinion not something I would expect him to save.

Some are just waiting to slag off certain players, Weimann is another one now.

It is rarely constructive or nuanced.

Fair enough so long as you don't throw every critical comment into the same category. I guess I'm saying this because I like to both criticise and praise as I see it and I'm absolutely not a witchhunt type. 

Cornick was decent today. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Champs said:

Yes we have a lot of injuries….but we should still be doing better than what we are, we are not really threatening outside of set pieces. Becoming frustrated.

Do you believe that? The team we put out today would lose to pretty much every Championship side. The fact that the lads stayed in the game, battled and didn't get battered is the only positive from that.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Precisely, Nige P is doing a good job with naff all £££s to spend. Pay peanuts …. Get monkeys

And that’s it in a nutshell. Compare the money the previous two managers were allowed to fritter away, it’s chalk and cheese. 

Of course people will point to the players sold under LJ and he was only reinvesting that money, but Nige has had his best players sold and hardly seen a penny. 

Lansdown is hanging him out to dry. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

I don't think many of us expected to get anything today. I certainly didn't. It was an absolutely dire game, though. Boring as hell. Cardiff chased and harried effectively. I didn't think we'd score if we played all night. We tried hard, but we displayed a huge lack of quality. I thought we looked like a solid league one team playing in a cup match - no surprise with the injuries. But a general point: 'we'll outrun the opposition' is not going to cut it. We need more than that as a playing philosophy when/if we get players back.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Do you believe that? The team we put out today would lose to pretty much every Championship side. The fact that the lads stayed in the game, battled and didn't get battered is the only positive from that.

Exactly this. It feels to me that we heading back to the Millen/McInnes/SOD era where, for all that individual players were fan favourites, and for all that many posters on here felt we should be doing better, the reality was that we simply didn't have a squad to compete at the highest level of the Championship - and ultimately didn't have a squad to keep us out of the bottom 3!

You can't will these things. No side that gets in the play-offs this season is going to be relying on unproven youngsters to turn matches around. We can debate what constitutes 'young' but we can all look back on accomplished City sides of the past and note that bringing players off the bench to make their professional debuts, or to try and score their first professional goals, is not usually what got them to the top. It's not about effort, or what we'd like to happen - it's about quality. 

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 4