IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Good luck LM, we all hope you’re a great success.

After all that’s gone on, whatever the arguments for or against, I’ll be just glad to get back to watching the game and judge what we see on the field from the new guy. He is here now and deserves to be given a chance to state the obvious.

After a bit of reflection, reading all the views on both sides of the arguments and opinions from outside the club and it’s supporters, I need to move on.

So finally my take on this is as follows and really always has been.

I liked Pearson, wasn’t sure I would. I actually think he came to us about six years too late. However, I always thought his role at the time he came in was as a firefighter, get the club on a reset, and without getting relegated in doing so. Like him or loathe him he told us some much needed home truths. He was never going to be a long term fit for all sorts of reasons I guess with the current ownership. He basically answered the call when we looked like we were becoming a basket case of a club again. Remember the scenario. Team were on the slide, low on confidence, inexperienced struggling coach (likeable, had abilities but seemingly out of his depth for the job at that time), CEO (who appeared to have had an influential role in football matters) was looking to jump ship. Nige may not have ultimately provided the exciting progressive football that we all may have craved, but he has helped to build a platform for the club to actually implement a coherent football plan. 

And that is the most positive aspect. Listening to what Tinman said last week (forget all the club politics and personalities for a minute) was basically what Nige and Liam Manning seemed to have been saying. Implementation may be a different thing. But I thought at last there was an explicit statement coming from a club employee that resembled a logical vision for our club. A plan... yes I know I bang on about it when I’ve posted on here!...as Manning said dare to dream, but it’s all about how we get there (paraphrased heavily I think).

Maybe this is the time that we’ve woken up to realising that we need to implement our own planning as the likes of Swansea, Norwich, Brentford, Brighton, Luton, yes and even Ipswich (why didn’t Ashton do it here?!!!).

I think Nige has left us in a decent position to kick on now. We must be brave and stick to a strategy. If LM doesn’t work out or he spectacularly does and gets poached (by Bournemouth no doubt!) that we will develop a framework where either a new coach or new players can come in without the need to wholesale change again. Tweak formations, different personalities, fresh impetus, etc. but not change philosophy. Brighton and Brentford built with a plan (flexible to adapt to conditions but always with an eye to check they were on course) that accounted for different managers who bought into the vision. Swansea did this successfully over the years.

And Tinnion has actually stated this about being more focused to recruiting to a plan, be it players or coach. The club has actually said it. Let’s hope it wasn’t just lip service and they stick to it.

Right all that is off my chest! I now enter for the umpteenth time a period of quiet optimism, and, similar to the beginning of every season, my sense of reality goes out of the window as I dream of us storming to the top of the league. Yes it’s the hope that kills, but it’s the hope that always keeps me coming back to Ashton Gate.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, red panda said:

I think they might have mentioned something that happened at Milton Keynes?  Can't quite remember what ...

Think he cracked Milton Keynes but wasn't backed, meaning the next season there was something they lacked. Shortly after his bags were packed.

I'll stop now before I get whacked, not sure there was anything else though my brain has been wracked.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Agree, most coaches say the same things these days, so it was the subtlety I listened to, identifying anything that I didn’t agree with and/or concerned me. I didn’t picked up anything I didn’t agree with, but then it’s the players he needs to inspire, not the likes of me.

To that point, the most impressive part of his interview for me was his explanation of the people that have inspired him and why. I thought this bit was unrehearsed, but showed great insight into dynamics that form successful teams.

Yeah, I thought it would include recognised names, but it was quite refreshing not to have a clue about anyone he mentioned.

15 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Who mentioned Johnson other than you?

The discussion was about about Manning's and NP's record not spending.

The old LJ chat just indicates you need to move on from that . Oh, and by the way - how's the worst person in BCFC history getting on at Ipswich?

"He did a solid job, he addressed some major issues but was sacked with us in a worse League position than Johnson and Holden. But that hides the good things he did yet exposes the bad."

Thats what you put so yeh you did mention johnson

9 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I note that fb over 90% of comments approve of LM.

Which begs the question what the **** is wrong with this place?

Probably because it represents about 1% of the Bristol City fan base, I rarely find thoughts and feelings on here are related to fans outside this forum. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Think you are missing the point that over 90% were unhappy at the sacking of NP - Despite approving of the appointment of LM

• Like 7

Pearson is a solid coach, but not the type to take the club much higher than he achieved as of Cardiff his last match. There seems to be a massive fall out with the Lansdown's due to the muted' farewells' and the lack of appreciation with his time here. And this is Nigel's downfall with every club he has managed, appreciated ,but not actually 'loved' if you will.

I honestly believe we are in a better place to-day than we were a week ago, a young coach that wants to play attractive football, certainly the comments I hear from the wider footballing  world is we have scored a blinder here with LM.

I don't work for BS I have however supported this club since the 60's in fact dare I say the 50's  I first attended the Gate and probably not too senile to know a good exciting appointment when I see one.👴

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Probably because it represents about 1% of the Bristol City fan base, I rarely find thoughts and feelings on here are related to fans outside this forum. 

16 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Or trying doing a similar poll on here and you may find it’s not far off that . I’ve seen hardly anyone “disapproving” of Manning.
Quite the opposite and wishing him well. 

Just because people are disappointed about Nige doesn’t necessarily equate to not approving of Manning. 
Most people are capable of more than one thought process. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

I've been listening to LM interview today on the official site and press conference he speaks very well, comes across like a genuine nice guy and fits everything we want in the head coach. I also Listened to the Podcast with his Assistant head coach Chris Hogg, He seems like a character and was talking about how they are more of a team (He didn't suggest this the interviewer did) along the lines of Howe and Tindall at Newcastle.....not for one minute suggesting that they will hit those heights. But I am exctited about this appointment. Obviously proof will be in the pudding.

Dunno if you’ve seen this one:

have you got the link for the pod you listened to, please.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I think you are right, although my perception is different in that the people I know outside of OTIB are firstly far more vociferous about the Lansdowns and secondly pretty dismissive of Manning. 

I do agree with your point though, OTIB is a very small representation of our fan base, as indeed is any social media platform. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

I've been listening to LM interview today on the official site and press conference he speaks very well, comes across like a genuine nice guy and fits everything we want in the head coach. I also Listened to the Podcast with his Assistant head coach Chris Hogg, He seems like a character and was talking about how they are more of a team (He didn't suggest this the interviewer did) along the lines of Howe and Tindall at Newcastle.....not for one minute suggesting that they will hit those heights. But I am exctited about this appointment. Obviously proof will be in the pudding.

Have you a link to that podcast please?

3 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Or trying doing a similar poll on here and you may find it’s not far off that . I’ve seen hardly anyone “disapproving” of Manning.
Quite the opposite and wishing him well. 

Just because people are disappointed about Nige doesn’t necessarily equate to not approving of Manning. 
Most people are capable of more than one thought process. 

Disagreed on a few bits JP but good well made points. 👍👍

Just now, Riaz said:

Think you are missing the point that over 90% were unhappy at the sacking of NP - Despite approving of the appointment of LM

Bless ...it called football, it's a dynamic business, what should have the club done other than pay off a very good contract? Nigel is doing very well thank you, apart from health issues which I wish him well.

2 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Pearson is a solid coach, but not the type to take the club much higher than he achieved as of Cardiff his last match. There seems to be a massive fall out with the Lansdown's due to the muted' farewells' and the lack of appreciation with his time here. And this is Nigel's downfall with every club he has managed, appreciated ,but not actually 'loved' if you will.

I honestly believe we are in a better place to-day than we were a week ago, a young coach that wants to play attractive football, certainly the comments I hear from the wider footballing  world is we have scored a blinder here with LM.

I don't work for BS I have however supported this club since the 60's in fact dare I say the 50's  I first attended the Gate and probably not too senile to know a good exciting appointment when I see one.👴

No, he's never done it before has he? Oh duh... he has. He's got promotion before from this division.

We dropped to the bottom half, but your bosses knew full well, we had to winnable games coming up, so sacked him, knowing we'd likely be back in the top half.

Say hi to Jon Lansdown for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Yes but there are some on here who are way more than angry at Pearson being binned, some are acting as if JL and BT have broken into their house, shit in their cornflakes and shagged their dogs. We have many posters essentially posting the "I will boo" thread all over the shop.

We have apparently had the forum infiltrated by BS employees to spread propaganda (not saying BS employees haven't signed up, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that people working for BS could be city fans) on a forum that is largely seen as a massive joke by the fans at large. 

Edited by Spud21
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Spud21 said:

Yes but there are some on here who are way more than angry at Pearson being binned, some are acting as if JL and BT have broken into their house, shit in their cornflakes and shagged their dogs. We essentially have many posters essentially posting the "I will boo" thread all over the shop.

We have apparently had the forum infiltrated by BS employees to spread propaganda (not saying BS employees haven't signed up, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that people working for BS could be city fans) on a forum that is largely seen as a massive joke by the fans at large. 

The decision was a ridiculous decision to sack him. And quite under-hand.

Pretty sure it was confirmed, by mods that several accounts were created using bristol sport emails.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

No, he's never done it before has he? Oh duh... he has. He's got promotion before from this division.

We dropped to the bottom half, but your bosses knew full well, we had to winnable games coming up, so sacked him, knowing we'd likely be back in the top half.

Say hi to Jon Lansdown for me.

Free the hostages.

And stop talking twaddle about a a dirty tricks campaign on here with BS. 

Only on here eh?

Just now, Riaz said:

The decision was a ridiculous decision to sack him. And quite under-hand.

Pretty sure it was confirmed, by mods that several accounts were created using bristol sport emails.

Yes it was, on both counts but is it not entirely likely that these people are BS employees and City fans? Who may have paid little attention to the forum but have then seen it and registered? 

5 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Yes but there are some on here who are way more than angry at Pearson being binned, some are acting as if JL and BT have broken into their house, shit in their cornflakes and shagged their dogs. We essentially have many posters essentially posting the "I will boo" thread all over the shop.

The BS is all they have as a comeback, like calling anyone who challenges their dogma are trolls.

Edited by cotswoldred2
spell
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Yes it was, on both counts but is it not entirely likely that these people are BS employees and City fans? Who may have paid little attention to the forum but have then seen it and registered? 

All at the same time?

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

All at the same time?

What they all registered at the exact same time did they? And there is no other explanation other than it must be some kind of Bristol sport operation, and not maybe one or 2 were already here and pointed out to their colleagues the absolute state of the place over the last few weeks and they have then registered? 

This forum has not had the kind of influence that would even necessitate a second look from BS for more than a decade. 

There was a time when maybe it would make sense to a degree, back when Jon and Steve and others were to varying degrees active on here, but it's been basically a shouting match of Twitter proportions in the main for a very long time. 

21 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Out of interest, what arbitrary figure do you put on "the Bristol City fan base"?

And fwiw, the reason you rarely find thoughts and feelings on here are related to fans outside is because the vast majority of football fans - everywhere- are not the brightest, not the most intellectually inquisitive. They're mostly simple, easily pleased folk.

Ask a good sized sample of people sat around you at the next home game about xG, FFP or whether they'd ever heard of Liam Manning. I'm willing to bet you'll be met with ignorance or apathy.

Unlike here. So I know which camp I'd rather be in.  Let's hear it for OTIB, I say, rather than dismissing it as irrelevant.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1