IGNORED

Tinnion interview

Henry

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

One thing that worries me is that Manning failed when he had key players sold on his watch, but Nige kept us playing competitively and could say improving 

Well that could be down to the quality of the remaining players couldn't it, especially at lower league level where players like Scott Twine are an exception rather than the rule.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Well that could be down to the quality of the remaining players couldn't it, especially at lower league level where players like Scott Twine are an exception rather than the rule.

And I think the article covered that the replacements were just brought in for him and he had minimal involvement in recruitment, so he identified it as a mistake on his part (weather by allowing himself to not be involved or not being more involved by choice can't tell you which) , learned from it and made sure he was more involved at Oxford. 

• Like 1

Pearson didn't sound like a man who was happy not being able to spend the Scott money:

“We are where we are, it doesn’t matter what we all would like to do in an ideal world. Our budget is at the limit, so we can’t do any more. I’ve got every faith in the players that we already have and, as I’ve already pointed out many times, it would be very, very expensive to improve on what we’ve got unless something like this week happens, with the deal that we’ve done with Taylor - which is a very positive one for us - but we’re at the limit with what we can do.

“It’s like saying, ‘would you like to manage one of the top five or six teams in England?’ Course you would, but it’s not going to happen.”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Henry said:

The most staggering thing is he say he asked Nige if he wanted one more player after Scott. Nige said no.

Thats an outright lie.

Is it? I'm not saying your wrong, but did Nige say he wanted more players?

I suspect Tins is gaslighting and Nige DID say he didnt want another player - but because he knew he wouldnt get the players he wanted - because lack of finances.

Edited by Riaz

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Can apply that at any level.

Well to some extent, but as I say, you have to factor in that we signed several players of good quality and lost two, one of exceptional (almost unreplaceable) ability. I don't know what happened at MK, but I doubt they signed a Dickie or a Knight for example.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

It's a news paper article.

Doesn't contain anything contentious whatsoever 

The only contentious thing was the bit about NP being asked if he needed another player. That goes against NP saying the budget was to its maximum, which in itself is strange as Scott leaving must have left an opening albeit a late opening.

Anyway, there's no future in history and as BT said, its time to move on.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

It's a news paper article.

Doesn't contain anything contentious whatsoever 

Completely agree. A good read.

Look, I didn't want NP to go but now he has, this is looking an exciting prospect. Yes, with risks but any new appointment would have had risks.

It actually reassured me that he will get the chance to make this team his own without moving away from the base that Pearson sorted out.

Edited by citywest30
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Is it? I'm not saying your wrong, but did Nige say he wanted more players?

I suspect Tins is gaslighting and Nige DID say he didnt want another player - but because he knew he wouldnt get the players he wanted - because lack of finances.

What I do know is that Pearson told the players after Scott left that he was happy with the squad and that any noise from outside was just that.

Now that might have been done to give the players confidence of course, especially as some seemed to think we were almost a one man team.

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No, why would it be? All I can see from the outside is that we signed a few players in May/June and got TGH on loan after Scott left, and that the fans think we needed to spend some of the Scott money. What am I missing?

In fairness I do recall Nige talking about getting one or two in - paraphrased “we’ll have to see, we are right at the top of our budget” as he played down the likelihood of it happening

So you could speculate that maybe they decided that if they couldn’t push the budget, they’d rather go with what they had, hope for limited injuries, than bring in players for the sake of it.  That would kinda make sense wouldn’t it?

My biggest argument is why was the budget set so low?

+++++++

Good for Tins to spell out the recruitment process and roles.  Nothing has changed to the process.  The only thing that appears to be likely to change is Manning will be more involved in the process (than Nige).

The process is exactly as I described it the other day, and expected involvement is exactly as I suggested too.  I made a similar point on OSIB Twitter Spaces too.

Can we (OTIB) final dispel a 7 year myth that signings are one persons’ or another’s….it is clear it is a collective team effort where the manager has final say.

The point for debate is whether the recruitment team can spot the right talent for me

I think it would be churlish of me to be too critical of the Recruitment Team’s recent performance - I think it is improving.  We are seeing good players joining the club (not everyone will be a success straightaway) and taking opportunities to exploit the market too, e.g. Dickie for £0.700m entering the peak years for a CB, and must be up there in the early contenders for POTS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

What I do know is that Pearson told the players after Scott left that he was happy with the squad and that any noise from outside was just that.

Now that might have been done to give the players confidence of course, especially as some seemed to think we were almost a one man team.

Will almost definitely be the latter

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

At last ! Someone from "upstairs" saying NP did a good job (JL will be on the phone to him).

Tinnion;

"Nige did a great job for us, and I was one who had a great relationship with him, but it’s time now to move on".

I’m glad he’s come out and said that.

Most of us, including me, don’t know how the relationship worked, and I’ve had texts and DMs pushing agendas on both sides, so I’m happy to just try to be neutral on it.

Comms appear to be improving.  That’s a good sign imho.  Shame it’s only really now we are seeing it, but I e moved on.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can we (OTIB) final dispel a 7 year myth that signings are one persons’ or another’s….it is clear it is a collective team effort where the manager has final say.

People thought it worked differently? 😅

Edit - Although you do get the odd one where the head coach will have the say due to working with them and therefore the head coaches knowledge of the player is best, LJ and Brownhill comes to mind. But by large its the collaborative effort for 90-95%

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1

Good article, and I wouldn’t expect anything less from Piercy. However, I find it hard - nigh on impossible - to believe a word Tinnion says in general, so I’m certainly in the camp of Pearson would have wanted a Scott replacement.

What it does do is crystallise expectation. They’re not spending money in January so Manning has to do better than Pearson with the squad Pearson had. If he doesn’t, as someone almost once says “It’ll be judged on Tinnion”

• Like 9
  • Flames 4