IGNORED

Tinnion interview

Henry

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Scott:

Tony Vance, Guernsey FC Manager recommended him.  Tony had previously had Cam Pring and Jake Andrews on loan, so had formed a relationship.

Semenyo:

Dave Hockaday and Simon Panes (both SGS) recommended him.  Hockaday knew him for old and got him to come to SGS College.

So Tinnion didn’t discover either, he was presented with them, they had trials and signed.

So Tinnion didn't even see them then? Didn't look at them? Didn't decide to sign them after a trial?  I'm not arguing, just interested. 

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

I've literally just posted about this. I get the same impression too. I'm going to get hammered for this, but NP always came across to me as being a bit workshy. He didn't enjoy recruitment (own admission), didn't enjoy talking to the press, didn't coach ("on the grass"). I always used to think, well, what do you do? 

Workshy, really ?  
I think you will find he was prepared to delegate to his staff, and trust them to carry out their roles without interference. Exactly what all good managers do. 
And if reports are to be believed those above him might want to learn that.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Please explain. We don't have to all bow down to Spreadsheet Boy and his condescending and patronising tone. 

‘patronising tone’ ?

Rich coming from you and you’re posts

Im not very diplomatic and hardly an example of a measured poster but in all honesty you are coming over as a complete ****

I’m sure Dave can speak for himself ......but

’Spreadsheet Boy’ ??

Is that the depth of your assessment of what he produces in terms of analytical stuff , with evidence to back it up ?

Says it all really

I was heavily involved in the game at all sorts of levels for years but I find work of his quite educational and thought provoking , particularly with changes in the modern game 

He would get a job in pro football tomorrow .,   would you ?

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 6

16 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I know it isn't. But who was it then? I'm always happy to be wrong, I'm not afraid to be wrong. I'm not here for the ego and to always be right like @Davefevs and others. I want to be taught. Teach me.  

Hahaha.  A lot of my posts are based purely on being informative. Some are both informative and factual too.  Some are opinion based - you’ll notice them are usually referenced by “imho” or “my gut feel is”. That’s very different to being ego driven and wanting to always be right.  I’m not on OTIB to be right or for my ego.  I’m here to chat footie related stuff with like-minded people.  It’s gone downhill over the past 2-3 months.  Some of the best discussions on here are where someone takes something from the other person’s view and embeds that into their new thinking on a subject, whatever the subject.

I still remember having such a discussion with @Ivorguy that completely made me re think my thoughts on a certain topic.

So, from stated your desire to be taught, and being given new information about Tinnion’s role by others on Scott and Semenyo, have you learned something?  No need to reply to me, maybe just one to ponder.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 5

Just now, Ghost Rider said:

Right. So Tinnion did sign them then? 

Someone may have brought his attention to either/both of them, but as the academy manager at the time it would’ve been his decision whether to sign them after a trial I’d assume.

Wouldve also been him who promoted them, especially Alex, through the academy so quickly. 

7 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Don’t think Tinnion said he didn’t want a Scott replacement either, he’s correct in saying that it would’ve been majorly expensive to replace someone of his ability and influence in a team.

Think he was trying to say that although nige (and just about everyone) wanted a Scott replacement, is he happy with the current squad knowing that a Scott replacement is out of budget. Which nige was positive about. 

And I agree, Alex Scott was an outliar for us and probably the majority of champ clubs, way to good for this level. But comparing the squad as a whole between January and now I think we are far better off. 

You’re kind of saying something he didn’t say. Tinnions quote is “We got Taylor when we lost Scotty and I remember having a conversation with Nige “do you want us to try and get one more” and he was like “Tinns I’m happy, I’m really happy with the squad”

That belies a few things:

- The fact we were told there was a plan if we sold Scott and a plan if we kept Scott. That plan swiftly novated to a “nest egg” and a very uncomfortable Phil Alexander interview

- Niges subsequent comments, some detailed earlier in this thread, where he more than indicated he’d like a replacement/more players but was aware it wasn’t down to him.

(For avoidance of doubt a Scott replacement isn’t another Scott. It’s improving the squad elsewhere - which Nige did in January when Semenyo went).

Inherently, I’m worn down with the lies and the bullshit in the last 10 months - and the Scott “Plan” is one that may have now been forgotten in the misinformation that’s been spewed since Nige went. But it’s a reason why I find it hard to believe anything Tinnion says - inherently if they’ve been bullshitting you for the year, why would they tell the truth now? Compare that to Pearson who was accused by many of lying about Scott’s knee injury - and he was being totally honest there, and from what I can recall, in pretty much every occasion.

(NB Again, none of this is any reflection on Manning who I hope does fantastically but anyone taking Tinnion as gospel is naive in the extreme!)

• Like 7

So, Nigel was a Manager, as stated on bcfc.co.uk - 22 Feb 2021Bristol City have appointed Nigel Pearson as manager.

LM appointed as a Head Coach.

It’ll be exactly the same as Nigel Pearson,” Tinnion told Bristol Live. “Do you think we signed players for Bristol City that Nigel Pearson didn’t want? So why would we do it for Liam? Liam will be in the process, we’ll cut the shortlist when we want a certain player.

"Once we had gone for ‘the head coach’ and not manager, you want really a young, up-and-coming, on-the-grass, develop the players, develop the style; so once we had narrowed it down to what we wanted, he was one that came out straight away, really high,” Tinnion added. "

Can someone clarify for me, don't managers identify their targets and the club tries to get them?
Are managers generally not as involved in transfers as they once were?  Is the only difference between Manager and Head Coach about what goes on on the training pitch?

Just curious over the wording.

Edited by Sturgess
  • Robin 1