IGNORED

Tinnion interview

Henry

I saw Brian’s first game for us and have always been a big fan of the bloke!

However I think everyone except the manager needs to shut the **** up and let the team do the talking and Manning the explaining.

I don’t want bloody excuses for their decision, I am completely behind Jon Lansdown on this point, I want bloody wins!

The pressure on Manning after team **** have spoken is massive and ramps up with every idiot statement!!

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I can't find any issues with this article, though I'm sure some people will. Look, I appreciated Pearson as a manager; he brought a refreshing change after the likes of SOD, LJ, and DH. However, let's be honest, our style of play wasn't the most attractive. We were inconsistent at best, and our play could be described as a bit "HOOOOOOOOOOOOF."

Our home form was so disappointing; I'm surprised he lasted past WBA. While I understand he may not have been backed as much as LJ, he did receive support, let's be clear about that. Now, let's address the point about "cutting the wage bill in half." Yes, he did, but it's not like he performed miracles; he simply let contracts run down. It's hardly Wolf of Wall Street genius.

I'll reiterate, I enjoyed having Pearson here as a person. His no-nonsense attitude was refreshing. However, let's not let our liking for Pearson the person overshadow the fact that, in reality, the football wasn't great. I don't spend money on a season ticket to hear someone be honest or because I like the manager's personality. I want to be entertained, and let's be honest, can we genuinely say that "Pearson ball" was good? No, it wasn't.

If what Manning is saying is true, then I'm all for the change. If Nigel didn't enjoy "being on the grass," and reading between the lines suggests the squad needs better coaching to take them to the next step, then it's a move in the right direction.

Out of interest re attractiveness….did you not find WSM in 21/22 exciting or the early part of last season when Naismith was playing like Beckenbauer and breaking lines with passes into Scott and Weimann?

I’m not sure letting contracts run out and then not being able to replace counts as “simple”.  Simple to execute from a pure contract point of view, absolutely.  Dealing with the impacts of 1) less players in your squad and 2) dealing with players being around who know they are off requires good management, ie shouldn’t be seen as “simple”.  That’s my view anyway.

I think much of what you say in para 3 and 4 will be interesting to reflect upon over time.  I quite enjoyed the different evolutions, sometimes going back with team approach to go forward, to see the emergence of players like Pring and Conway, and the fall and rise of players like Vyner and Wells, Weimann getting 20+ in 21/22.  I think there are very different ways of looking at it….hence why my honest view might be different to yours.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Exactly Nige did things for a reason whether it's by his actions or verbal when it come to man management he's one of best. None of this modern drivel talk that modern coaches say now. 

So are you saying modern coaches are not man managers? I would argue his record does not go anywhere near saying he's one of the best man managers, for example in terms of success Warnock is far, far, far superior and he has also had minimal success at the top level so many would be above him. 

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

After we abolished the CEO role, I joked that we'd next be getting rid of the managers role. 

On the training ground we had Fleming and Euell doing the coaching with Nigel observing. 

We now have Manning and Hogg on the training ground which has essentially just replaced Fleming and Hogg. 

Its not how many, but how effective, only time will tell if they are better than Nige & co (which BTW, I was gutted to see leave), but as fans we only get to see a tiny amount of what goes on within the club and if the structure or the way the job was being preformed was the best use of recourses

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Point being, I’m not sure that “culture” metrics are even measurable. And certainly wouldn’t be by a team of analysts. It’d be about knowing the person and that makes it a Pearson decision. I’d have no objection if Manning thought he needed a senior character to influence the dressing room that didn’t hit tangible metrics either.

I put the speech marks around the wrong word 🫣

18 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Totally agree about Dickie, but Tinnion taking the credit ? The story at the time iirc was that Sykes informed the club that Dickie wanted to leave QPR. Nothing to do with Tinnion, or scouting. Just pure luck / opportunity.

I don’t see it as Tins trying to take personal credit, and we won’t know how it came about either.  I often wonder whether sometimes a player is a bit of a “stooge” to cover up a bit of “tapping-up”! 😮

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think you've overlooked the miracle. 

The miracle is that he was able to cut the wage budget, whilst keeping us in this division. I'm not sure anyone else would have been able to do that. 

For us, austerity usually means relegation. As it was, last season we finished 3 wins off the play offs.

Was it really a miracle, though? That's what I'm getting at. It was also thanks to Tinnon, who some are currently labeling a snake in this thread and others. At the end of the day, replacing the high earners wasn't that challenging. Who among the high earners were outstanding players? Palmer, no. Kalas was good but replaceable. Jay? Don't make me laugh. We had average players on extremely high wages. All we had to do was swap out the average players on high wages with average players on average wages.

It's not as if we lost vital players from the high earners that would have made a huge impact. The high earners (Kalas aside) were all shite.  I thought that was why we all hate LJ and Ashton? 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Its not how many, but how effective, only time will tell if they are better than Nige & co (which BTW, I was gutted to see leave), but as fans we only get to see a tiny amount of what goes on within the club and if the structure or the way the job was being preformed was the best use of recourses

I think the set up has been streamlined. 

In a very simplified version, the managers role was abolished and the responsibilities of that role spread out between Tinnion and one of the coaching slots. 

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest re attractiveness….did you not find WSM in 21/22 exciting or the early part of last season when Naismith was playing like Beckenbauer and breaking lines with passes into Scott and Weimann?

I’m not sure letting contracts run out and then not being able to replace counts as “simple”.  Simple to execute from a pure contract point of view, absolutely.  Dealing with the impacts of 1) less players in your squad and 2) dealing with players being around who know they are off requires good management, ie shouldn’t be seen as “simple”.  That’s my view anyway.

I think much of what you say in para 3 and 4 will be interesting to reflect upon over time.  I quite enjoyed the different evolutions, sometimes going back with team approach to go forward, to see the emergence of players like Pring and Conway, and the fall and rise of players like Vyner and Wells, Weimann getting 20+ in 21/22.  I think there are very different ways of looking at it….hence why my honest view might be different to yours.

I'm not claiming it was all bad. Sure, we can all point out the occasional good game, but even you have to agree, Dave, that for the most part, the football we played was subpar and unentertaining to watch. I'll absolutely eat my words if the football doesn't change under Manning though.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

If (and appreciate that is the longest word in the English language) Nige had stayed and the injuries cleared up,  could top 6 have been possible? A lot of people thought so only maybe a month ago? If so why not now?

I’ve always thought top six this season was pie in the sky. Still do. 
I thought we were capable of an improvement on last season. Still do. 

Just now, Ghost Rider said:

Sure, here's a revised version:

Was it really a miracle, though? That's what I'm getting at. It was also thanks to Tinnon, who some are currently labeling a snake in this thread and others. At the end of the day, replacing the high earners wasn't that challenging. Who among the high earners were outstanding players? Palmer, no. Kalas was good but replaceable. Jay? Don't make me laugh. We had average players on extremely high wages. All we had to do was swap out the average players on high wages with average players on average wages.

It's not as if we lost vital players from the high earners that would have made a huge impact. The high earners (Kalas aside) were all shite. 

We had to wait for them to go OOC first.  Nobody would take them off our hands because their contracts were too big…so you’re stuck with them.  Palmer we gave away, creating an impairment in the books that means we had even less to replace him with.  Same with Nagy.  The impact - delayed squad building, less money to do the squad building with.

Surely you understand that, right?

If you don’t, then it possibly helps explain your position and why you throw in comments like “all we had to do….”.

3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I'm not claiming it was all bad. Sure, we can all point out the occasional good game, but even you have to agree, Dave, that for the most part, the football we played was subpar and unentertaining to watch. I'll absolutely eat my words if the football doesn't change under Manning though.  

No, I don’t have to agree….I explained that above.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Workshy?? What?

I very much doubt that. He has had periodic health issues for 2 years now but putting that aside, he and his team will have been putting in a lot of planning to improve the culture, the cohesiveness while receiving less and less money to work with.

18 months of it was FFP related ie until Semenyo went, thereafter especially post Scott clearly part of  a strategy of some kind.

He and his team woukd have been very hard working to help find solutions for the disaster that he inherited.

Alright, perhaps "workshy" was a bit strong, but you grasp the essence of what I'm trying to convey.

This is precisely my point, and I'm attempting to encourage people to acknowledge it, as you have. The focal point of this thread is Tinnion. Tinnion played a significant role in that team, finding solutions. Yet, here we are, labeling him a snake while Pearson is being hailed.

3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Alright, perhaps "workshy" was a bit strong, but you grasp the essence of what I'm trying to convey.

This is precisely my point, and I'm attempting to encourage people to acknowledge it, as you have. The focal point of this thread is Tinnion. Tinnion played a significant role in that team, finding solutions. Yet, here we are, labeling him a snake while Pearson is being hailed.

Tinnion has only been in his role for a year. To give him credit is hilarious.

Gould and Pearson did all the difficult ground work.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I've literally just posted about this. I get the same impression too. I'm going to get hammered for this, but NP always came across to me as being a bit workshy. He didn't enjoy recruitment (own admission), didn't enjoy talking to the press, didn't coach ("on the grass"). I always used to think, well, what do you do? 

Workshy , he’s been the face of the club for the last couple of years, I can assure you Nigel was extremely hard working, he fronted up to everything when nobody else above him could be bothered.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tinnion has only been in his role for a year. To give him credit is hilarious.

Gould and Pearson did all the difficult ground work.

So, Tinnion didn't discover Semenyo and Scott, whom we sold for a total of £35,000,000, helping us navigate through FFP? You're right, hilarious 🤣

Just now, Glen hump said:

Workshy , he’s been the face of the club for the last couple of years, I can assure you Nigel was extremely hard working, he fronted up to everything when nobody else above him could be bothered.

Yep, dealt with matters well above his paygrade in Press Conferences, especially when Gould left..there was a huge void and NP dealt with all manner of questions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

No, why would it be? All I can see from the outside is that we signed a few players in May/June and got TGH on loan after Scott left, and that the fans think we needed to spend some of the Scott money. What am I missing?

3 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Yeah I'm not getting the lie here.

According to the itk peeps twas fraction at being asked to get freebies by board etc 

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Is it? I'm not saying your wrong, but did Nige say he wanted more players?

I suspect Tins is gaslighting and Nige DID say he didnt want another player - but because he knew he wouldnt get the players he wanted - because lack of finances.

Fair enough if you have missed all of the written and record interviews of Nige speaking about it.

Tinnion said we had a plan with Scott and a plan for when we sold him.

The club and Nige said after Scott was sold, we were at our budget and couldn’t bring anyone in.

Fast forward to now - Jon Lansdown says there may be new players during Jan but it’ll be difficult. Tinnion said Nige turned down the chance to sign players after Scott was sold. (Why would they offer him players if there was no budget)

All these things can’t be true. It makes no sense for Nige to come out complaining he couldn’t spend, if he was offered the chance it.

I know who I believe, who has the reason to lie and who had no reason to lie.

• Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

So, Tinnion didn't discover Semenyo and Scott, whom we sold for a total of £35,000,000, helping us navigate through FFP? You're right, hilarious 🤣

⬇️⬇️⬇️

13 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Who did then? So Tinnion had no say over Scott and Semenyo? 

Scott:

Tony Vance, Guernsey FC Manager recommended him.  Tony had previously had Cam Pring and Jake Andrews on loan, so had formed a relationship.

Semenyo:

Dave Hockaday and Simon Panes (both SGS) recommended him.  Hockaday knew him for old and got him to come to SGS College.

So Tinnion didn’t discover either, he was presented with them, they had trials and signed.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think you've overlooked the miracle. 

The miracle is that he was able to cut the wage budget, whilst keeping us in this division. I'm not sure anyone else would have been able to do that. 

For us, austerity usually means relegation. As it was, last season we finished 3 wins off the play offs.

Beat me to it

The comment about ‘work shy’ is as bad as I’ve seen on here regarding NP

Unbelieveable

Id suggest with the vast majority of appointments , we would be finding ourselves in L1 rebuilding

No Stable platform for a LM or whoever to inherit

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

What I do know is that Pearson told the players after Scott left that he was happy with the squad and that any noise from outside was just that.

Now that might have been done to give the players confidence of course, especially as some seemed to think we were almost a one man team.

In fairness he’s hardly going to say anything different to the players is he?,

I certainly was of the impression he wanted to use some of the Scott money on new recruits. His demeanour certainly suggested he wasn’t happy. Wasn’t that where the  “nest egg” quote originated?

20 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Nahhhhhh

’All he had to do was....’

Workshy........

Some fans deserved or deserve a return to L1

Youve nailed it Hump 👍🏻👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Good article, and I wouldn’t expect anything less from Piercy. However, I find it hard - nigh on impossible - to believe a word Tinnion says in general, so I’m certainly in the camp of Pearson would have wanted a Scott replacement.

Don’t think Tinnion said he didn’t want a Scott replacement either, he’s correct in saying that it would’ve been majorly expensive to replace someone of his ability and influence in a team.

Think he was trying to say that although nige (and just about everyone) wanted a Scott replacement, is he happy with the current squad knowing that a Scott replacement is out of budget. Which nige was positive about. 

And I agree, Alex Scott was an outliar for us and probably the majority of champ clubs, way to good for this level. But comparing the squad as a whole between January and now I think we are far better off. 

Edited by George Rs