IGNORED

Tinnion Leaves Twitter

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not sure I would be comfortable with the Technical Director being wholly in charge of negotiating player wages, bonuses etc. I'd hope that someone from the CEO/CFO type side of things was involved. You've also then got the same person identifying talent (a footballing decision), then getting the head coach's stamp of approval (working closely with the coaching team), and then negotiating terms (a corporate/commercial decision). Does someone else negotiate transfer fees with selling clubs or is that Tinnion as well? I am not expecting you to have the answers hear btw, but I think this is CEO/CFO stuff - or at least their department - rather then Technical Director.

See above my answer to Fevs.

My main concern is that if you have the roles and responsibilities traditionally covered by one person/job role spread across three then you bring in the danger of job creep, or of certain jobs not being done, or of people fighting (maybe not openly and directly) over who does what. I am not saying for certain this is happening at City...but we saw an inkling of that kind of culture in the summer where both Alexander and SL seemed to claim credit for the Scott sale.

Yes , very good points 

I should have said , for it to work , and it’s possible

Those involved all need to have a clear and open agreement , and clear lines , on their roles and importantly a very good working and professional relationship

Whether those components are in place.......hmmm.....time will tell , but there are a lot of unknowns in there , besides actually doing it well

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes , very good points 

I should have said , for it to work , and it’s possible

Those involved all need to have a clear and open agreement , and clear lines , on their roles and importantly a very good working and professional relationship

Whether those components are in place.......hmmm.....time will tell , but there are a lot of unknowns in there , besides actually doing it well

I think his role is about moving him more towards the role that Keith Burt had as DoF…but support on the “numbers” from the Finance guys.

I have no issue with that.  Brian - heres your budget, we’ll do your spreadsheets, reporting and keep you in step from that side.

57 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd be interested in hearing some tangible examples of their prowess when it comes to knowing the game. 

I would put to you, that with over quarter of a billion pounds spent on Bristol City for one tilt at the Premier League in 2008, they have made us pound-for-pound the biggest underachievers in the football league during their reign.

So if they know "enough" about football, then what has gone so badly wrong? 

Wonder what the total expenditure on transfers looks like over the last 20 years say, in the championship. Net transfer balance maybe as well?

Anyone have a clue?

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think his role is about moving him more towards the role that Keith Burt had as DoF…but support on the “numbers” from the Finance guys.

I have no issue with that.  Brian - heres your budget, we’ll do your spreadsheets, reporting and keep you in step from that side.

Obvious questions being:

1. What other serious club would set up like that?

2. What other serious club would consider Tinnion for such a role ?

I guess the abswer will be when hes poached by a bigger outfit.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

It is quite right that David Hockaday invites clubs to watch SGS players, in the same manner that Ash Morgan invites clubs to see players at Merchants Academy, finding playing opportunities is part of the programme. These player pathway programmes to professional football are not the hegemony of BCFC. 

Usually I would agree yes, but its another thing making the call after City had already agreed to offer a scholarship to the player, if SGS wanted the partnership to improve it didn't help it.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Obvious questions being:

1. What other serious club would set up like that?

2. What other serious club would consider Tinnion for such a role ?

I guess the abswer will be when hes poached by a bigger outfit.

I suspect several clubs have a “football bloke” performing a pseudo HoR / DoF role, supported by others.

My brain instantly thought of Luton:

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/club/whos-who-at-luton-town/

They do have a bona fide CEO though, but I was just talking about the kind of role Big Mick performs.

I think when you get into the upper echelons of the PL, the DoF is fundamentally different!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave L said:

Absolutely. Far too much opinion stated as fact on this and other threads. I don't have a problem with people having differing opinions, but the disrespect and childish insults being bandied about to suit some people's personal agendas are way below the belt.

For years, many on this forum have criticised the Lansdowns for not knowing enough about football (wrongly in my view). 'We need a football man' they cried - with a certain vagueness about exactly what is meant by a football man. Often I got the impression that it meant 'me', or quite possibly 'my mate down the pub who once played Semi-Pro for Mangotsfield'.

So now they have appointed a football man. A club legend who has played over 500 games for the club, has extensive experience as a coach and manager and a proven track record of success in developing and nurturing young talent both in the UK and abroad. And now some say 'no, not that football man - we meant somebody else'. And when that football man does the job he was employed to do, along with his employers, and replaces a manager who was well-liked but not exactly pulling up trees, he is suddenly a snake?

By all means lets have debate about decisions made. We are never going to agree about everything, and mistakes have been made down the line, and will no doubt be made again in the future. But to suggest that Steve, Jon, Brian et al (and whoever is next in the firing line) don't have the best interests of the club at heart is wrong and disrespectful. 

An amateur soccer school in Spain, minimal professional coaching experience, failed manager, no track record as football administrator. But played 500 games and is someone Steve can “trust” so must be the best man for the job. Should have kept his head below the parapet if he can’t handle the heat. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Usually I would agree yes, but its another thing making the call after City had already agreed to offer a scholarship to the player, if SGS wanted the partnership to improve it didn't help it.

I have ex players who are Bristol City scholars now. If another club is interested in a player at that age and the player has not signed, it should be a moral obligation to make the player and their parents aware of interested clubs. 

Signing as a scholar for differing clubs brings differing expectation, support and financial considerations e.g educational opportunity, private tuition, length of contract and wages, alongside playing expectation of playing time, role and intent of the club. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect several clubs have a “football bloke” performing a pseudo HoR / DoF role, supported by others.

My brain instantly thought of Luton:

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/club/whos-who-at-luton-town/

They do have a bona fide CEO though, but I was just talking about the kind of role Big Mick performs.

I think when you get into the upper echelons of the PL, the DoF is fundamentally different!

Good spot Dave although the difference between the two in terms of status and cv is like day and night.

I would say the simiilarity starts and ends with the accent.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

I have ex players who are Bristol City scholars now. If another club is interested in a player at that age and the player has not signed, it should be a moral obligation to make the player and their parents aware of interested clubs. 

Signing as a scholar for differing clubs brings differing expectation, support and financial considerations e.g educational opportunity, private tuition, length of contract and wages, alongside playing expectation of playing time, role and intent of the club. 

The point was the other club had no knowledge of who the player was so there was no interest before the phone call, Hockaday essentially went out of his way so the player didn't sign for City.

8 hours ago, Dave L said:

Absolutely. Far too much opinion stated as fact on this and other threads. I don't have a problem with people having differing opinions, but the disrespect and childish insults being bandied about to suit some people's personal agendas are way below the belt.

For years, many on this forum have criticised the Lansdowns for not knowing enough about football (wrongly in my view). 'We need a football man' they cried - with a certain vagueness about exactly what is meant by a football man. Often I got the impression that it meant 'me', or quite possibly 'my mate down the pub who once played Semi-Pro for Mangotsfield'.

So now they have appointed a football man. A club legend who has played over 500 games for the club, has extensive experience as a coach and manager and a proven track record of success in developing and nurturing young talent both in the UK and abroad. And now some say 'no, not that football man - we meant somebody else'. And when that football man does the job he was employed to do, along with his employers, and replaces a manager who was well-liked but not exactly pulling up trees, he is suddenly a snake?

By all means lets have debate about decisions made. We are never going to agree about everything, and mistakes have been made down the line, and will no doubt be made again in the future. But to suggest that Steve, Jon, Brian et al (and whoever is next in the firing line) don't have the best interests of the club at heart is wrong and disrespectful

100% agree Dave, they're just thick when it comes to running a football club, couldn't agree more

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Dave L said:

By all means lets have debate about decisions made. We are never going to agree about everything, and mistakes have been made down the line, and will no doubt be made again in the future. But to suggest that Steve, Jon, Brian et al (and whoever is next in the firing line) don't have the best interests of the club at heart is wrong and disrespectful. 

Quite frankly, your comments are laughable. If you think the Lansdowns have achieved with this football club, then you need to seek some help. No Board, no senior management, no CEO, no business accumen, no accountability, the list is endless. Shambles.

The white elephant of Bristol Sport is killing the football club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Binman posting non-stop today…..including retweeting something about “how proud” he is after the equalising goal…… an ego even bigger than Ashton’s?

Either that or he is just a fan, enjoying Tommy's cracking goal.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

As was tinnion

But i never said that i wouldn’t be posting again until we were in the premier league did i? Interestingly enough, that tweet has now been deleted from his twitter account……im going to leave it here anyway, what a great result today! The replay will be a cracker 👍

• Like 1