IGNORED

Tinnion Leaves Twitter

And Its Smith

6 minutes ago, cellist said:

Yes taking a break is fair enough. But he made a song and dance about it, and said his break would end when we reached the Premier League (presumably with a big fat "I told you so"). Instead he's come back after 3 wins that have us back more or less where we were before he and JL sacked Pearson

Think people, especially those who run the club and their apologists, are missing a very basic point. He’s the Technical Director not some nobody “punter”. These people are running a PROFESSIONAL football club and with that comes standards. Our club’s standards seem to consistently fall way short of where a reasonable person might expect them to be imo.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, cellist said:

In one sense, who cares, social media isn't real life.

It is a bit embarrassing though to say "I'm off, see you when we're in the Premier league" and be back less than a month later after we win 3 games. 

Consistent with the way our club has been run? Impulsive: big gestures, pronouncements and grand plans that change very quickly. 

Does feel quite amateurish with people who publicly out themselves as being quite so daft steering the ship.

Great post.

If the cap fits Tinman......

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Think people, especially those who run the club and their apologists, are missing a very basic point. He’s the Technical Director not some nobody “punter”. These people are running a PROFESSIONAL football club and with that comes standards. Our club’s standards seem to consistently fall way short of where a reasonable person might expect them to be imo.

Give me an example of what he has done that is unprofessional.. The fact he left twitter and came back on?

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Give me an example of what he has done that is unprofessional.. The fact he left twitter and came back on?

Well you can start with his LinkedIn profile. 

Created for ' Professionals ' 🤷🤦🤣

It's embarrassing to say the least. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

He got involved in spats with social media when he was Manager for a start, a mental thing to do, and to publically proclaim on social media “I’m off, see you when we’re in the Prem” and then come back on a few weeks later doesn’t come across in a way that I would hope the Technical Director of the Championship football club I support would behave tbh. He has enough on his plate with his job description (which he was not professional enough to spell correctly btw - not difficult to get right in a search engine even if you can’t spell for toffee) without worrying about social media. My personal opinion is he shouldn’t even be on that particular platform (under his own name anyway) as it is a known cesspit where personal, including racist, abuse is dished out to people directly and is tolerated, dare I say condoned even, by the people who own and run it.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

He got involved in spats with social media when he Manager for a start, a mental thing to do, and to publically proclaim on social media “I’m off, see you when we’re in the Prem” and then come back on a few weeks later doesn’t come across in a way that I would hope the Technical Director of the Championship football club I support would behave tbh. He has enough on his plate with his job description (which he was not professional enough to spell correctly btw - not difficult to get right in a search engine even if you can’t spell for toffee) without worrying about social media. My personal opinion is he shouldn’t even be on that particular platform (under his own name anyway) as it is a known cesspit where personal, including racist, abuse is dished out to people directly and is tolerated, dare I say condoned even, by the people who own and run it.

Okay so essentially nothing then.

Firstly some apparent spats that happened in a previous role over 10 years ago and the way he has articulated himself on LinkedIn.

He's apparently the pathetic one according to some on here.

• Like 2

People that say he isn't qualified, he has to learn somewhere. He's a bloody club legend I'd rather have him than some faceless suit l. For all we know in a couple of years time he might be fantastic at this role and will be gutted when he leaves.

Anyway 3 points today  

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

Okay so essentially nothing then.

Firstly some apparent spats that happened in a previous role over 10 years ago and the way he has articulated himself on LinkedIn.

He's apparently the pathetic one according to some on here.

Standards follow through in every aspect of your life. If you have low standards you have low standards.

Someone who can’t be bothered to spell their own job title, a particularly technical, professional and no doubt well paid job title, in my experience is unlikely to carry out that job to the standards required.

Similarly if you make bold statements on social media then follow them through. Don’t backtrack at the first sign that all is good again. X is known for abuse - stay off the bloody site in your name. He is striking me as an impulsive man in a job that cannot be successfully delivered by relying on impulse.

On the spelling it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you can spell, plenty of successful people can’t do that very well, it’s putting in the extra thirty seconds to FIND OUT the correct spelling. That is attention to detail and follows through in all you do. His role at the club requires attention to detail and to follow through with club policy, his behaviour on social media doesn’t give me confidence he can do that.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

People that say he isn't qualified, he has to learn somewhere. He's a bloody club legend I'd rather have him than some faceless suit l. For all we know in a couple of years time he might be fantastic at this role and will be gutted when he leaves.

Anyway 3 points today  

I think that’s the frustration, a club making big statements about “top end” whilst replacing proven at Premier League level staff with “might be alright in a couple of years”………and this has nothing whatsoever to do with the First Team Manager role either. Liam was doing well at a level below so had some form of decent record.

As you say, Liam and the boys delivering three points today is what ultimately counts.

14 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Anyway 3 points today  

Maybe he'll improve. Hope he does. Have very fond memories of him as a player. It's very possible that Manning will prove to be a shrewd appointment - last few weeks have been encouraging. And he can take some credit for that if it works out that way.

But regarding "he has to learn somewhere" - what exactly is this role that he's learning? Is it a business/administrative role? Replacement for Gould/Alexander? Because 500 football league appearances don't qualify you for that. Yet we seemed to think Tinnion "growing into his role" was reason enough for a restructure when Alexander left.

According to the Bristol Post article after Alexander stepped down: "Tinnion will continue to oversee footballing decisions of the men’s side of the club, alongside manager Nigel Pearson and his coaching team." Sounds like a Director of Football role. But usually you'd expect to see an experienced manager take a DoF role to support a young head coach. This is what rankles with fans I think - why should Pearson have had to work "alongside" (and then seemingly be sacked, at least in part by?) Tinnion? Compare Tinnion and Pearson's achievements in the game and Tinnion doesn't come out well - though I loved watching him as a player. We seem to have a failed ex-manager who has a close relationship with the ownership who is able to call the shots - that's not healthy.

He's clearly in Lansdown's ear with regard to hiring and firing the manager and squad building - but his track record of those sorts of decisions is poor/non-existent. We gave him a shot at being manager as a young up-and-comer to learn the ropes and it ended pretty spectacularly in failure. That was well over 10 years ago and he hasn't gone away and proven himself elsewhere - as far as I know he's not been given any responsibility near the first team of a professional football club. Feels very Bristol City to promote somebody so high with such a poor record, and allow them to interfere with and then dispense of the services of people far more qualified, able and successful than him. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 6

4 minutes ago, cellist said:

Maybe he'll improve. Hope he does. Have very fond memories of him as a player. It's very possible that Manning will prove to be a shrewd appointment - last few weeks have been encouraging. And he can take some credit for that if it works out that way.

But regarding "he has to learn somewhere" - what exactly is this role that he's learning? Is it a business/administrative role? Replacement for Gould/Alexander? Because 500 football league appearances don't qualify you for that. Yet we seemed to think Tinnion "growing into his role" was reason enough for a restructure when Alexander left.

According to the Bristol Post article after Alexander stepped down: "Tinnion will continue to oversee footballing decisions of the men’s side of the club, alongside manager Nigel Pearson and his coaching team." Sounds like a Director of Football role. But usually you'd expect to see an experienced manager take a DoF role to support a young head coach. This is what rankles with fans I think - why should Pearson have had to work "alongside" (and then seemingly be sacked, at least in part by?) Tinnion? Compare Tinnion and Pearson's achievements in the game and Tinnion doesn't come out well - though I loved watching him as a player. We seem to have a failed ex-manager who has a close relationship with the ownership who is able to call the shots - that's not healthy.

He's clearly in Lansdown's ear with regard to hiring and firing the manager and squad building - but his track record of those sorts of decisions is poor/non-existent. We gave him a shot at being manager as a young up-and-comer to learn the ropes and it ended pretty spectacularly in failure. That was well over 10 years ago and he hasn't gone away and proven himself elsewhere - as far as I know he's not been given any responsibility near the first team of a professional football club. Feels very Bristol City to promote somebody so high with such a poor record, and allow them to interfere with and then dispense of the services of people far more qualified, able and successful than him. 

FWIW, I have no beef with Tins.

He was stupid to put out his initial tweet in the manner he did (the “see you in the PL bit”), especially when you know that at some point in the role you’re in, you’re gonna want to promote / praise something / someone via social media…and likely not long after.

He should’ve just taken a break, said he didn’t appreciate the “rude” tweets (i don’t think they were much more than that - I went through the replies), and that gives him an angle to return without him looking a bit silly.

If others can’t see that, then imho they have an incredibly defensive mindset of the situation, which I think is pretty evident from a number of posts.

+++++

Next - Tins skillset.

Firstly if as JL says (at Senior Reds) being groomed to be CEO, then I’m very worried.  I suspect Jon had to think on his feet, and failed with his answer.  CEO is not Tins skillset.  His skillset is football!  That’s what he brings to this club.

So, what is his role….Technical Director.  Role titles can mean lots or nothing!!!

My view is that it is not Director of Football.  The last one we had was Keith Burt (iirc) and he was responsible for the playing side, budgets, contracts, recruitment, football operations.  In the current set up, Tom Rawcliffe is picking up some of that, and also supporting Gavin Marshall, so that Gavin can do parts of the CEO role for BCFC but also the rest of Pula.

So, in summary I don’t think we need to worry too much about Tins moving too far out of his football comfort zone, but we should also remember he ran soccer schools in Spain, and maybe not the complete dunce some might make him out to be.

I’d say he’s found a nice role at club level.

+++++

It might help matters if the club articulated this set up better, but we all know how poor the club is at communicating.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Anyway 3 points today  

In a well run organisation, football or otherwise, you don’t promote someone to a higher grade difficult job because they are a legend. You give the job to someone who has the skills and knowledge to do it. Sometimes it might be a development opportunity for someone who is capable of quickly making the step up, but that’s not Tinnion. If he needs a couple of years to get up to speed he should do it at another club, not City who are supposedly a potential Premier League tesm

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW, I have no beef with Tins.

He was stupid to put out his initial tweet in the manner he did (the “see you in the PL bit”), especially when you know that at some point in the role you’re in, you’re gonna want to promote / praise something / someone via social media…and likely not long after.

He should’ve just taken a break, said he didn’t appreciate the “rude” tweets (i don’t think they were much more than that - I went through the replies), and that gives him an angle to return without him looking a bit silly.

If others can’t see that, then imho they have an incredibly defensive mindset of the situation, which I think is pretty evident from a number of posts.

+++++

Next - Tins skillset.

Firstly if as JL says (at Senior Reds) being groomed to be CEO, then I’m very worried.  I suspect Jon had to think on his feet, and failed with his answer.  CEO is not Tins skillset.  His skillset is football!  That’s what he brings to this club.

So, what is his role….Technical Director.  Role titles can mean lots or nothing!!!

My view is that it is not Director of Football.  The last one we had was Keith Burt (iirc) and he was responsible for the playing side, budgets, contracts, recruitment, football operations.  In the current set up, Tom Rawcliffe is picking up some of that, and also supporting Gavin Marshall, so that Gavin can do parts of the CEO role for BCFC but also the rest of Pula.

So, in summary I don’t think we need to worry too much about Tins moving too far out of his football comfort zone, but we should also remember he ran soccer schools in Spain, and maybe not the complete dunce some might make him out to be.

I’d say he’s found a nice role at club level.

+++++

It might help matters if the club articulated this set up better, but we all know how poor the club is at communicating.

The bit I’ve highlighted sums it up. A cushy number and unlikely to be sacked 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The bit I’ve highlighted sums it up. A cushy number and unlikely to be sacked 

I don’t see it as cushy…I think his head is above the parapet now.  We can measure his role success now, the structure is clear from Tins down…and most of us measure on the football bit.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t see it as cushy…I think his head is above the parapet now.  We can measure his role success now, the structure is clear from Tins down…and most of us measure on the football bit.

I see it as cushy for one simple reason - as long as SL / JL are in charge it’s highly unlikely he get the sack. If things go wrong there will just be a reorganisation and he’ll be given another job 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I see it as cushy for one simple reason - as long as SL / JL are in charge it’s highly unlikely he get the sack. If things go wrong there will just be a reorganisation and he’ll be given another job 

People thought that about LJ - and stated it repeatedly- but he was sacked in the end.

And is there any actual evidence that Tinnion had any say in the sacking of Pearson? I doubt it. It seems all to be 2+2=5.

Tinnion may well be a yes man, but I imagine JL calls the shots, whether we like it or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Standards follow through in every aspect of your life. If you have low standards you have low standards.

Someone who can’t be bothered to spell their own job title, a particularly technical, professional and no doubt well paid job title, in my experience is unlikely to carry out that job to the standards required.

Similarly if you make bold statements on social media then follow them through. Don’t backtrack at the first sign that all is good again. X is known for abuse - stay off the bloody site in your name. He is striking me as an impulsive man in a job that cannot be successfully delivered by relying on impulse.

On the spelling it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you can spell, plenty of successful people can’t do that very well, it’s putting in the extra thirty seconds to FIND OUT the correct spelling. That is attention to detail and follows through in all you do. His role at the club requires attention to detail and to follow through with club policy, his behaviour on social media doesn’t give me confidence he can do that.

How does the ability to do his job align with the way he spells. It seems you are scraping the barrel for reasons to berate him.

He's employed for footballing reasons, he's not writing dissertations ffs. He should be judged on what his role demands not on his literacy. Also you are being so petty to say he should of checked his spelling. Maybe he spelt it wrong and doesn't know it's spelt wrong hence spelling it wrong in the first place so why would you check!

For me to even have to clarify this just sums up you have no justification on why he should receive abuse, he's not been unprofessional for any genuine reasons provided.

I'll judge Tinnion on our recruitment and bringing through youngsters as that's the remit I think he has within the club. Based on the money available I think he's done a great job so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

How does the ability to do his job align with the way he spells. It seems you are scraping the barrel for reasons to berate him.

He's employed for footballing reasons, he's not writing dissertations ffs. He should be judged on what his role demands not on his literacy. Also you are being so petty to say he should of checked his spelling. Maybe he spelt it wrong and doesn't know it's spelt wrong hence spelling it wrong in the first place so why would you check!

For me to even have to clarify this just sums up you have no justification on why he should receive abuse, he's not been unprofessional for any genuine reasons provided.

I'll judge Tinnion on our recruitment and bringing through youngsters as that's the remit I think he has within the club. Based on the money available I think he's done a great job so far.

I don’t recall attempting to justify any personal abuse on X he has received. I did say it was a cesspit and he would be better off staying off under his own name though. The fact you are either unable to comprehend or are deliberately misrepresenting and ignoring what I said shows it’s pointless responding further.

13 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

How long do you give him credit for this and is that actually the extent of his remit?

Genuine questions not trying to trip you up.

32 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

How long do you give him credit for this and is that actually the extent of his remit?

Genuine questions not trying to trip you up.

I'll credit him if we keep recruiting well i.e value for money. If we start signing crap players I'll not only stop giving credit I'll certainly criticise.

What else is he doing? Unless I've missed the memo. Same not trying to trip you up..

6 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I'll credit him if we keep recruiting well i.e value for money. If we start signing crap players I'll not only stop giving credit I'll certainly criticise.

What else is he doing? Unless I've missed the memo. Same not trying to trip you up..

Well the club website says he will work with the first team on player development which is usually the role of the head coach/manager exclusively I think.

Do you believe he has had a big say in player recruitment or 1st team player development during Pearsons tenure?

I could be wrong but I cant see that as being the case . He may have scouted but very much offering up suggestions as his remit before his elevation.

Honestly think Tinnion as Technical Director, Director of Football, Sporting Director or God Forbid, CEO is above his paygrade.

Time will tell but he should have stuck to what he was good at, developing youth IMO, perhaps a bigger role or remit in that area.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
8 hours ago, johnheadbcfc said:

People that say he isn't qualified, he has to learn somewhere. He's a bloody club legend I'd rather have him than some faceless suit l. 

You are getting something very basic wrong here 

You are muddling up qualifications with experience 

Does he have any business qualifications etc required for the position? 

Experience, which is what you mean is what is achieved with time 

6 hours ago, RedRoss said:

I'm curious, who has he brought through? 

I don't believe he was a coach for any of the players that came up, wasn't he the loans manager? 

He certainly hasn't been in position to have recruited anymore yet 

This isn't a dig at Tins as I personally think he's been shafted again by the club moving him out of the perfect role for him into something not applicable 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

You are getting something very basic wrong here 

You are muddling up qualifications with experience 

Does he have any business qualifications etc required for the position? 

Experience, which is what you mean is what is achieved with time 

I'm curious, who has he brought through? 

I don't believe he was a coach for any of the players that came up, wasn't he the loans manager? 

He certainly hasn't been in position to have recruited anymore yet 

This isn't a dig at Tins as I personally think he's been shafted again by the club moving him out of the perfect role for him into something not applicable 

I didn't mean in a coaching capacity.

I'll just leave this here:

The Guernsey manager knew that Scott should have been playing at a higher level and called Brian Tinnion, who is technical director at Bristol City, and got Scott a trial at the Championship club.

Scott spent a week with the Gloucestershire-based side, initially training with the under-18s but soon making enough of an impression to move up to the first team.

Vance ensured that he was present for the trial game at the end of the week and it took just minutes to realise that Scott wasn’t coming back to the Guernsey squad.

He remembered: “In the first half, he scored the perfect hat-trick. Left-foot, right-foot and a header!

“I looked at Brian, Brian looked at me and I thought he’s not going to be playing for us again.

“The thing that sticks out for me, and Brian always told me this, was that players of a certain level, they're always able to adapt and to excel and not be fazed by being put into a new challenge. He’s comfortable.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

The Guernsey manager knew that Scott should have been playing at a higher level and called Brian Tinnion, who is technical director at Bristol City, and got Scott a trial at the Championship club.

Scott spent a week with the Gloucestershire-based side, initially training with the under-18s but soon making enough of an impression to move up to the first team.

Vance ensured that he was present for the trial game at the end of the week and it took just minutes to realise that Scott wasn’t coming back to the Guernsey squad.

He remembered: “In the first half, he scored the perfect hat-trick. Left-foot, right-foot and a header!

“I looked at Brian, Brian looked at me and I thought he’s not going to be playing for us again.

“The thing that sticks out for me, and Brian always told me this, was that players of a certain level, they're always able to adapt and to excel and not be fazed by being put into a new challenge. He’s comfortable.”

Very interesting but again who has he brought through?

I suspect anyone would have come to the same conclusion.

Scott was handed to us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Gloucestershire-based side. FFS.