IGNORED

The Gaffer speaks after tonight’s defeat

RedLionLad

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

Or they have learnt from previous mistakes and includes a 'if you take us backwards, you get released with no compensation'

Which of course, they won't have done.

No manager in work would accept a contract like that.

Limited payoff sure but I don't think they would accept that, they would drive a harder bargain.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I mean it is vastly more tactically varied and complicated than it once was at higher levels tbh.

We however need to strip it back a bit, gradually evolve go the preferred Manning style once the base is stabilised again. IMO.

When he joined I made a comparison with Clough taking over after Rennie at Leeds. I did point out that our situation wasn't to that extreme. But there were some similarities. I got laughed out of the building for suggesting that. 

Manning came in and essentially did what Clough did. And that was to rip everything up and say its my way now. 

Whilst I appreciate Manning wanted to get his principles in from day 1. I think it should have been more like what you suggest. An evolution, not a mid season revolution. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Or they have learnt from previous mistakes and includes a 'if you take us backwards, you get released with no compensation'

Which of course, they won't have done.

No manager in the world would agree to a clause like that, particularly at a club that shows no sign of re-investing 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

3.5 year contract. Paying him out would be very very pricey, and a catastrophic waste of money. Not an option for me.

Problem is it could be even more catastrophic keeping him in place. Damage limitation. 

Holden was dispensed with pretty quickly when it became apparent he was out of his depth after the Lansdowns had undergone a meticulous and lengthy process to hand him the job as the outstanding candidate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

It feels like everyone’s losing at the moment, he was clearly onto something at Oxford. May well have had a League title on his CV come May. Poor bloke looks downbeat.

He’s committed career suicide coming here . Other owners won’t be impressed with him walking out on Oxford after 8 months . He’s walked into a shit show where the fans didn’t want him and it seems most of the playing squad didn’t . Add in his total lack of experience and he really has f@@@@d up coming here . This will end badly for everyone ………… except for Junior of course who seems to exist I. His own little version of The Truman show 😩

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

First interview where he sounds and looks like someone a bit broken. It's starting to get to him imo. 

Hopefully it turns around...but body language, tone and general demeanour speaks volumes. 

I got LJ vibes from him and that's concerning. 

A new head coach shouldn't look so broken and out of ideas. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Where should the away fans sit?

Probably wonders what the **** he’s done 

What's made me think positively about him, is the quotes from players in interviews who seem genuinely excited and have belief in him. 

Whether it's enthusiasm to something new to them, is yet to be seen. However...it's unusual to hear. 

I can see some positive changes...but my gut feeling is, we have a coach who's trying to implement changes, that are good, but we don't have the quality at this level, to do it well enough to win games on a basis that constitutes a top half finish. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

What's made me think positively about him, is the quotes from players in interviews who seem genuinely excited and have belief in him. 

Whether it's enthusiasm to something new to them, is yet to be seen. However...it's unusual to hear. 

I can see some positive changes...but my gut feeling is, we have a coach who's trying to implement changes, that are good, but we don't have the quality at this level, to do it well enough to win games on a basis that constitutes a top half finish. 

The players might be excited and they might have bought in to this new way of going about things.

Or it might be, they get first team appearance fees and know the landscape well enough to not say 'we have no idea what it is we are meant to be doing and results reflect that'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Starting to feel sorry for the bloke. I’m absolutely sure he’s got the best intentions and is trying to implement what worked for him previously, but perhaps he’s taking too many big steps forward in his career before he’s ready. The Championship is an unforgiving place to manage.

Absolutely it’s unforgiving. Generally it’s not a place for the inexperienced. They can quickly get found out. Manning is going to have to start getting results soon or things could get ugly. There is already a definite drop off in the atmosphere at AG following Nige going, but that will get a load worse if this continues much longer. The next 2 home games against Sunderland and Hull are critical, because if we get no points from them, we will only be a few points above the bottom 3 and completely out of form at halfway through the season. That’s a real concern and all so unnecessary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

On the ball I can see some positives and what he’s trying to implement

Not so keen about us without the ball

He needs to keep his nerve , if he’s good , and has nerves of steel , and pushes through this he will have done remarkably well

They've set him up a treat , employing a modern process coach that will always need time to implement, whilst they have a fan base largely , baying for blood whose demand is an instant improvement in performances and results 

I feel sorry for the guy and it actually makes me want him to succeed

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Body language - negative

Eye contact - negative

Tone of voice used - negative

With that negativity it doesn’t matter what words he says as the above means no one will believe you!

Conway - whilst I’m sure will be a really good striker at the level and possibly higher one day, is being found out as he’s not ready to play the main man - my god do we need Nakhi for to help these kids!

The Jan transfer windows feels a long way off - assuming we have some money to spend!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Slack Bladder said:

That interview doesn't fill with confidence.

He sounds like somebody who thinking  WTF have I done coming here

And if we get rolled over by Sunderland on Saturday , the Chorus of “ One Nigel Pearson” will surely be heard . Can’t even imagine how that will feel for Liam Manning but pretty sure it’s coming his way very soon . Sorry Liam but you’ve been thrown under a bus by Junior with his old man behind the wheel ! Blind Ambition isn’t always a good thing buddy ! 

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Biggest concern for me is that NP seemed to have tightened up the defence but now we are back to letting in soft goals. With a misfiring attack that is a recipe for a slide down the table.

You are spot on, Nige got us to the stage where only Leicester had a tighter defence, now we need to score 3 goals to win a game. Anyone who thinks relegation is not a possibility is deluded.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, sglosbcfc said:

You are spot on, Nige got us to the stage where only Leicester had a tighter defence, now we need to score 3 goals to win a game. Anyone who thinks relegation is not a possibility is deluded.

Of course it is possible but we have a number of the bottom third side a still to play at home.

Now the fact we are even having to think about it a bit is fairly disgraceful and massively self-inflicted but we likely have enough home games that are winnable for one.

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

In his Radio Bristol interview he said "I know there has been some frustrated people for not getting opportunities"

It just seems that the collective team spirit isn't what it was. 

Sounds like team moral has gone totally t@@s up ! I’ve never been so livid as a City fan as I am now . Had a season ticket for 20 years and barely missed a home game since 1977 but I really feel like I’ve had enough now . 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Of course it is possible but we have a number of the bottom third side a still to play at home.

Now the fact we are even having to think about it a bit is fairly disgraceful and massively self-inflicted but we likely have enough home games that are winnable for one.

You have more faith than me in our ability to win, at home or not. Our one win under Manning we scraped home after conceding 2 goals. Teams that ship goals left, right and centre lose games I'm afraid. Nigel realised that, but sadly for us he is gone.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2