IGNORED

The Gaffer speaks after tonight’s defeat

RedLionLad

3 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

holden mark 2? i'm starting to feel genuinely steve and  that the Lansdown family do this on purpose.. someone of Steve's business astute  cannot make these decisions time and time again without knowing the consequences.. the guy is a billionaire and he runs BCFC as if he were on the doll

Think it's fair to say I think Hargreaves got the lions share of the brains and acumen at this stage, at the very least with regards to decision making and management. I appreciate the money SL pumps in, but the lack of forethought and stratagem from the top is stifling.

Can't accept a contrary view to his own that's at all forthright. Ends up with yes men and no backbone in his management.

Said it once and I'll say it again, GJ aside, the only good appointment in the last 15 years was Cotts

...who was appointed by Keith Dawe when SL stepped away from the club slightly.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I don’t believe Manning can last unless the Lansdowns are happy to be back where they started in Division 1.  But what worries me is that if results do not improve and Manning does go who the hell wants the Lansdowns to be in charge of appointing his successor.  I have been a critic of them on Otib for years and years and have zero confidence in them.  The sooner they find a buyer the sooner we can hopefully get back onto the right path.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I really dislike that he will not look at the interviewer or camera when answering a question, 

His eyes look down a lot , it's body language that says he doesn't believe the words coming out his mouth, 

If he's coming over this poorly with the players I can see why they don't seam to have the commitment they had before

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Both the club and local radio interviewers are garbage. 

Is Mark Sykes carrying a knock? Are you having to manage his minutes?

What were your thoughts when bringing Knight off?

TGH has picked up the clubs player of the month award, what led you to start Williams over him this evening?

How do you feel you can get the best out of TC in this system? 

Spot on .

5 minutes ago, winsaw said:

I really dislike that he will not look at the interviewer or camera when answering a question, 

His eyes look down a lot , it's body language that says he doesn't believe the words coming out his mouth, 

If he's coming over this poorly with the players I can see why they don't seam to have the commitment they had before

Back when I was playing the role of a student journalist, I remember being in a press conference with Gary Monk when he was Middlesbrough manager just prior to getting sacked.

Now you could tell he knew he was getting sacked because his answers lacked energy or any form of belief - he was beaten.

Watching that Manning interview, he came across in a similar vein - that’s not good.

Can’t imagine what the feeling will be like on the 2-3 hour coach journey back / training tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I feared it the second they sacked NP. Not because NP was the best manager in the division, he isnt. But because of one simple word.

Stability.

And we chcuked it out the window as our manager rightly felt he wasn't being backed, and the owners ego couldn't seem to take valid and accurate (critique) feedback without Gould buttering him up.

If we get relegated, and I hope not  - but it would be everything the leadership deserve. This should have been all sorted (new manager, full preseason) over the summer period. Simple planning, structure, and targeted recruitment.

Instead, we, the fans, now have no choice but to feel sorry for Manning, and pray he adapts. All because of their ego and stupidity.

I'm now starting to question the departure of Alexander. I believe in his leaving statement he said something along the lines of "the club is in good hands with Nige and his team" 

So I'm wondering if the writing was on the wall for Nige back then? Obviously something caused Phil to leave and I do not believe them when they say it was a reshuffle. 

I'm guessing when I say this but maybe Phil was an advocate for NP and the lack of funds he was given etc. 

So therefore in order for the board to get rid of Nige, they needed to get rid of Phil too? 

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm now starting to question the departure of Alexander. I believe in his leaving statement he said something along the lines of "the club is in good hands with Nige and his team" 

So I'm wondering if the writing was on the wall for Nige back then? Obviously something caused Phil to leave and I do not believe them when they say it was a reshuffle. 

I'm guessing when I say this but maybe Phil was an advocate for NP and the lack of funds he was given etc. 

So therefore in order for the board to get rid of Nige, they needed to get rid of Phil too? 

Oh, he was stitched up.  Another who made the mistake of daring to question a Lansdown!!!

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

It’s a painful watch with Manning interviews. All so very dull with nothing of substance to say. He may turn out to be a decent coach but his lack of passion and inability to make eye contact in his interviews do not bode well. He sounds like a manager on his way out rather than one who has just come in.

• Like 4

Don't underestimate the value of leadership. Look at the players whose form is slumping - Tanner, Bell, Conway, Vyner - all players talked up by NP.  When someone of his stature tells you and the world that you've got something you believe them, and in yourself. When Liam Manning walks into the dressing room for the first time you almost certainly think - who is this?

Look at the players we need to get us out of this current rut, the players with experience, what you want to see as a new manager is respect, what we heard from Naismith and Wells in their first half commentary last night was borderline disbelief.

We supporters need is belief. That interview takes us back - as others have said - to the SOD era.

I've nothing against Manning, know almost nothing about him like everyone else, but the impression given by that interview isn't one of leadership. I'm not sure where it is found at Ashton Gate at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Flames 4

8 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Got a real bad feeling about all this 

Defo relegation battle unless the owners spunk some decent funds in 

This issue now though is when we’re sat in the bottom three come January who in thier right mind would join this mad house ! prepare to be underwhelmed again I suspect. 

This is the way 

Edited by NewquayRed
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So basically - you don’t want to be seen as wanting him to be sacked because it would look hasty and reactionary.. but at the same time, quite happy for him to leave in circumstances which don’t make you look hasty and reactionary. 

It’s better than being sacked outright and not having a job

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

As others have commented. Him and Swansea are a more natural fit. 

Sacking him right now wouldn't be the right thing to do. We're no where near that point. 

But if he were to leave 2moro I wouldn't be disappointed as up until now it just hasn't worked out and its going to take a lot of time and patience and probably money with no guarantees it will work out. 

My issue is the confirmation bias in all your posts - why not just give him a chance?

I think it’s far too early to say it ‘hasn’t worked out’. The decision to remove Pearson and then target a manager so different in approach is on Tinnion and Lansdown.

If we did end up in the farcical situation you’ve endorsed whereby Manning ends up at Swansea somehow - the club would look even more rudderless. Our pool of potential managers would shrink even more.

Unfortunately, regardless what any of us think of the wisdom behind the situation, Manning is here now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’m trying to be patient with Manning & hope he comes good. However, he’s making it very hard with some self inflicted terrible decisions such as Bell over Pring, Williams over TGH & constantly subbing Sykes.  Stop trying to be too clever Liam & over think it & help yourself first by managing the controllables 

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

My issue is the confirmation bias in all your posts - why not just give him a chance?

I think it’s far too early to say it ‘hasn’t worked out’. The decision to remove Pearson and then target a manager so different in approach is on Tinnion and Lansdown.

If we did end up in the farcical situation you’ve endorsed whereby Manning ends up at Swansea somehow - the club would look even more rudderless. Our pool of potential managers would shrink even more.

Unfortunately, regardless what any of us think of the wisdom behind the situation, Manning is here now. 

Totally agree like it or not I don’t see a change happening with the Manager unless we’re relegated and even then not nailed on. Have to back them 

Mannings post match interview is very telling! He looked a man that's starting to realise the jobs alot bigger then he thought, he must have scratched his head about 6 times in bewilderment in that interview. He has inherited a very bang average lower championship squad of players that just can't buy into his philosophy and that the overhaul is alot bigger then he was led to beileve. You can just imagine tinion telling him we have the best squad in the championship. Big reality check it seems for manning i feel sorry for the bloke tbh,  pearson clearly had us playing greater then the sum of our parts and this is just highlighting to me what an experienced wiley old job pearson was actually doing! 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

The gaffer needs to lead.

Manning looks completely broken already.

After the comments by Nahki and Kai on the commentary, (which, lets be honest, were spot on) - you wonder where the dressing room is at?

You wouldn't get that kind of commentary from current players unless they felt safe in saying them.

Pretty blunt from 2 very senior players.

It honestly feels like the dressing room has turned - and Manning knows it.

Lansdown will 100% double down with more money for players in January - he cannot accept he has made probably the biggest mistake of his tenure.

If we get dicked at home on the weekend, the crowd are highly likely to vent their feelings - all that anger about Nige being sacrificed for Lansdowns ego has to come out - Manning way well walk.

He doesn't look like he wants to be here anymore.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

After the comments by Nahki and Kai on the commentary, (which, lets be honest, were spot on) - you wonder where the dressing room is at?

You wouldn't get that kind of commentary from current players unless they felt safe in saying them.

Lansdown will 100% double down with more money for players in January - he cannot accept he has made probably the biggest mistake of his tenure.

If we get dicked at home on the weekend, the crowd are highly likely to vent their feelings - all that anger about Nige being sacrificed for Lansdowns ego has to come out - Manning way well walk.

What did Kal and Nahki say?

I feel sorry for Manning. Most new managers are given at least a chance by the fans, but it really does feel that a number are wishing him to fail because of their displeasure at what the board have done. This is not Liam's fault. I don't think we've played badly, and I think over time, when we get a couple of additions and key players return from injury, the way he wants us to play, will improve us. It's going to take time, but I think in the long run he'll come good. Yes vent and have a go at powers at the helm, but we should be giving Manning full support, and chants about Nigel Pearson as nothing but disrespect towards LM. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Could the psychology and body language experts on here point me in the right direction? All I saw was a bland, monotone interview, with not much of any substance uttered and waffle like "behaviours" shoehorned in (he did that for fun just to boil my piss, the bastard) literally nothing else. On that I couldn't tell you what his emotions were to be honest let alone deep stuff like "he's a broken man"/"he wants out"/"he'll walk" etc. etc. blah blah blah. Where are you all getting this shit from that I'm so obviously missing?

• Like 1

I mentioned in another post, it's not necessarily a problem hiring an 'inexperienced' coach, but you need to have a solid, experienced structure above them to give them guidance and support when they need it. Where does Manning go, who can he speak to? No-one has the relevant experience or ability.

Pearson was in effect a coach/technical director and could drive the culture. 

Edited by Red from afar
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

What did Kal and Nahki say?

From what I remember they were mostly saying that what they were seeing didn't match what was happening in training. Naismith was very critical of Max constantly humping it long and for players not moving into space to make options for a pass. He said they needed to be braver 

It was exactly what I would've said. However it seemed more critical of the players than the coach.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I don’t believe Manning can last unless the Lansdowns are happy to be back where they started in Division 1.  But what worries me is that if results do not improve and Manning does go who the hell wants the Lansdowns to be in charge of appointing his successor.  I have been a critic of them on Otib for years and years and have zero confidence in them.  The sooner they find a buyer the sooner we can hopefully get back onto the right path.

It’s a really good point amongst the madness. If Manning does go who the heck do we get next! Hopefully he turns it around and we don’t need to get to that stage any time soon but the whole set up is such a shit show of incompetence that whenever that time does come you’ll bet it’ll be another nightmare.   They just need to go.   They are completely and utterly clueless.   

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

23 minutes ago, Red from afar said:

I mentioned in another post, it's not necessarily a problem hiring an 'inexperienced' coach, but you need to have a solid, experienced structure above them to give them guidance and support when they need it. Where does Manning go, who can he speak to? No-one has the relevant experience or ability.

Pearson was in effect a coach/technical director and could drive the culture. 

But but but but but but he wasn’t ‘on the grass’ 20 hours a day! And therefore was a dinosaur! 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 3
  • Robin 1