IGNORED

Have we just entered a new period in the history of Bristol City

Top Robin

16 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Let's hope so.

Oh do behave.

on the one hand, of course it’s a new era. With Jon and Tinnion running the show with Manning as their lackey.

And on the other you’ll be the first (well maybe second after Andy 80002052456472907462) on here when results dip (as they will) to spout off “Manning out”.

It’s about a bit of balance and perspective surely? We’re still a mid table squad. And it’s still too early to say if Manning is going to be a success or not. And we’ve had solid results in the last 3 games, which we just as easily could have got fewer points from.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Well if we have it will mean the board got it spot on, and the majority on here were wrong. 

Depends how you judge it. If you base it off risk - it remains a very questionable decision by any metric. Fair play if it works, but it very well may not have as is the nature of the business if they get it right or wrong.

15 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

While there is some truth in your comment, the enjoyment factor of the football is now is much better imo.

As others have said - it's hard to outright say X, Y, or Z until we're further into the season.

Sunderland we clung on for large periods - was essentially a repeat to the performance under NP vs Coventry.

I'd also make the point that our football last season after WBA was also as enjoyable as what we've seen the last 3-4 games. Our issue has always been longer term consistency. 

This is still, essentially, a 'new manager bounce/honeymoon' period - let's see what happens in Jan and what recruitment we carry out (if any) and see where we are once Mannings had 10-15 matches under his belt.

15 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It was only 2 weeks ago that we had people predicting a relegation fight. Lose the next couple and they'll be back doing it again.

How about we just take it game to game without getting carried away either positively or negatively?

Spot on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Depends how you judge it. If you base it off risk - it remains a very questionable decision by any metric. Fair play if it works, but it very well may not have as is the nature of the business if they get it right or wrong.

As others have said - it's hard to outright say X, Y, or Z until we're further into the season.

Sunderland we clung on for large periods - was essentially a repeat to the performance under NP vs Coventry.

I'd also make the point that our football last season after WBA was also as enjoyable as what we've seen the last 3-4 games. Our issue has always been longer term consistency. 

This is still, essentially, a 'new manager bounce/honeymoon' period - let's see what happens in Jan and what recruitment we carry out (if any) and see where we are once Mannings had 10-15 matches under his belt.

Spot on.

Interesting.

I think it’s hard to make a judgement on the risk without knowing the truth behind NPs departure - and I think we most of us recognise that there was more to it than we know.

If it was the case that the relationship and the trust between NP and the owners/board had broken down then that’s a huge risk in itself. And there’s probably only one way that risk gets mitigated.

I think Sunderland was different from Coventry. Coventry were unlucky; Sunderland weren’t. We defended well v Sunderland - as we did for spells yesterday for spells when Watford were on top and looking threatening. Against Coventry we just rode our luck!

But that’s not to disagree on the basic point you’re making. We had a couple of (short) spells under NP when it did look like it was all coming together, and we started to play some really good stuff, but then it seemed to come apart again. As you say, we need to give it 10-15 games. My hope now though is that we do seem to be seeing a pretty steady upward trajectory in terms of performance.

I think we’d all agree - in the cold light of day - with that point that @Northern Red makes. It doesn’t stop OTIB from swinging to and from ridiculous extremes on match day 😂😂l And I’m sure it won’t stop it happening again next time! 

• Like 1

Balance is needed I think. Point off the playoffs but a loss yesterday and we are 14th. It was a great win yesterday and the first time I've been impressed over 90 mins, still though we conceded straight after half time - but we reacted really really well. 

I wouldn't have sacked Pearson and wouldn't have appointed Manning. But that's not Manning's fault and I have no issues with him and support him. The shit going on above is clouding my enjoyment at the Gate ATM. I can't lie I left at HT v Hull as I was bored and it was Friday night and the pub with mates was far more appealing in that moment. 

Just need to see how this goes. It would be very Bristol City to win the next two (or to even not on a separate point), be inside the top 6, then lose 5 and everyone ask for Manning to be sacked. 

Just take the next 5 months as they are with no expectations, enjoy it just don't get carried away because most of us have been watching City for 30 years or more and we know this club and the way it likes to implode in many different ways. 

He's gone from the worst recent points start for a new manager to the start of a new exciting era in 3 games. Let's all chill and not put too much pressure on. 

• Like 5

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I think if we do make the play-offs we can be thankful both to Nigel Pearson, who laid the foundations and brought in most of the players performing for us, and Liam Manning for honing that side and continuing the good work, with his own tactical know-how. 

image.jpeg.350ac7aac91af22dc5a1ed95b826347f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

12 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

If he improves us consistently fair play to him and contrary to (some) popular opinion, everyone will be delighted. Definitely some positive signs, but a) very early days and b) not that long since we had a manager who managed long winning steaks,

He raced cows and fed the successful ones to the team as a pre-match meal?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There's lots to be said on the Johnsons but I think they all love the game and want to work in it as long as they can. Lee will probably be mounting a promotion challenge with Bridgwater United in about 2038, at this rate

You have got to hand it to the bloke. He wants that first promotion on his CV, and he won't stop until he gets it.

I've no idea which thread to post this in, and I certainly don't think we need another one discussing the managers. But, I thought it was interesting in relation to how "well coached" we might now be.

At 14:48 in the latest edition of the NTT20 podcast the host (I can never tell who is Ali and who is George) says:

"I know someone who knows a couple of the Bristol City players and the reports that I've got from him speaking to them is that they love the detail that Manning brings to training. They love the detail that he brings to their match instructions. They love the intensity within training, and these are all things that supposedly or apparently have been raised massively since the managerial change."

Don't worry, he says something nice about Nigel to balance it out as he continues:

"It's one thing to point at, there's a lot more to being a successful football manager than detail and training intensity. Man management plays a factor in other context and circumstances and that might be where someone like Nigel Pearson has an edge over someone like Liam Manning who's not known for being a great personality who connects strongly on a personal level with the players."

But ultimately he summarises his point as:

"But just so far, in a short period of time, what he [Manning] is bringing seems to be going down very well and I think is just what a group of players like this need."

It's interesting to hear something, admittedly second-hand, that is supposedly directly from the players, and is very positive.

I feel like I almost have to preempt any potential accusation of bias so I'll say that I've not edited this (other than for brevity and sense) and I'm not trying to say that Manning is better than Pearson. But, I'm on record as being ambivalent about Pearson, and Manning was my pick for the job from the moment Nigel went. I like Liam.

Source: https://pca.st/episode/6237ace0-18d7-4e15-b189-70656ab3d962?t=888

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've no idea which thread to post this in, and I certainly don't think we need another one discussing the managers. But, I thought it was interesting in relation to how "well coached" we might now be.

At 14:48 in the latest edition of the NTT20 podcast the host (I can never tell who is Ali and who is George) says:

"I know someone who knows a couple of the Bristol City players and the reports that I've got from him speaking to them is that they love the detail that Manning brings to training. They love the detail that he brings to their match instructions. They love the intensity within training, and these are all things that supposedly or apparently have been raised massively since the managerial change."

Don't worry, he says something nice about Nigel to balance it out as he continues:

"It's one thing to point at, there's a lot more to being a successful football manager than detail and training intensity. Man management plays a factor in other context and circumstances and that might be where someone like Nigel Pearson has an edge over someone like Liam Manning who's not known for being a great personality who connects strongly on a personal level with the players."

"But just so far, in a short period of time, what he [Manning] is bringing seems to be going down very well and I think is just what a group of players like this need."

It's interesting to hear something, admittedly second-hand, that is supposedly directly from the players, and is very positive.

I feel like I almost have to preempt any potential accusation of bias so I'll say that I've not edited this (other than for brevity and sense) and I'm not trying to say that Manning is better than Pearson. But, I'm on record as being ambivalent about Pearson, and Manning was my pick for the job from the moment Nigel went. I like Liam.

What struck me in Manning's post match interview was that the qualities he praised the players for were those Nigel brought to the squad. Qualities that were sadly lacking when he came in. Look also at the players he signed who played at Watford and I'd say he had a pretty good recruitment record too. It was not a job for a young coach and he has left Liam a very good basis to work with. It would be nice if the club recognised that but that would require more gravitas than they have.

No reason why Liam can't continue to build on that. He had my support when things didn't look good and he will continue to have it but I don't see why we have to be in one camp or another rather than recognise the different qualities they have.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

Let's just appreciate what Pearsons done, as let's not kid ourselves "these players are very coachable" means the previous managers not been doing a bad job, and these players are clued up, and well managed.

The board have treated Pearson appallingly and will forever be looked upon with my distain for how they removed Pearson.

Manning however is not to blame for their spiteful behaviour and I take each game as it comes.  He's showing signs of being a decent manager, however it takes a while to fully coach out the previous incumbents work and the team is currently the product of Pearson/Manning we will see a true picture 6-8 months into Mannings tenure.  I suggest in the meantime you just enjoy each game as it comes, and take the rough with the smooth 😁

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 9
  • Robin 1

On 26/12/2023 at 21:56, luke_bristol said:

Bonkers to declare him the right appointment so early, we were two points off the POs when NP was sacked, and now we’re one point off. What we can surely all agree on though is that it’s been a very encouraging 9 points from 9, three wins in three different circumstances, and two very winnable games to come. 

edit: quoted the wrong post 🙄

We were four points off the playoffs after the Cardiff game when NP was sacked.

• Thanks 1

5 off when NP sacked, 4 off after the Fleming game.

Credit where due we have been moving upwards. 2 points off now.

For completeness of records we were between 3 and 5 points better off from the 3 games of NP this and last season and it definitively became 5 after the Fleming game.

The 14 from 9 under Manning is without doubt an impressive return.. and we are really trending upwards but it is identical to the equivalent 9 last season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

What struck me in Manning's post match interview was that the qualities he praised the players for were those Nigel brought to the squad. Qualities that were sadly lacking when he came in. Look also at the players he signed who played at Watford and I'd say he had a pretty good recruitment record too. It was not a job for a young coach and he has left Liam a very good basis to work with. It would be nice if the club recognised that but that would require more gravitas than they have.

No reason why Liam can't continue to build on that. He had my support when things didn't look good and he will continue to have it but I don't see why we have to be in one camp or another rather than recognise the different qualities they have.

Absolutely. And I think you can read the NTT20 quotes as saying that this is exactly what is happening.

The players have been recruited well and have been formed into a good group of young men - and that was done under Pearson and his team.

Now though there's been a step up in the level of detail and intensity of the training and match preparation. That's happening now under Manning and his team.

All of this is good stuff. One good job being built on by another. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For completeness of records we were between 3 and 5 points better off from the 3 games of NP this and last season and it definitively became 5 after the Fleming game.

The 14 from 9 under Manning is without doubt an impressive return.. and we are really trending upwards but it is identical to the equivalent 9 last season.

Agreed - very happy to see us settling now under Manning.

However what we’re seeing, in terms of league position and results, is nothing particularly new or ground breaking…

You could argue the last few results simply ‘righted’ the poor ones we had under Manning before.

As you also point out, let’s not rewrite history - we’re not yet beating teams we didn’t under NP and our league position now is not a position we haven’t been in under NP…nor potentially different to where we were when we started that run of bad injuries pre his sacking.

I’m enjoying being where we are and that little run of wins - but for people to be saying ‘look how much better Manning is’ is perhaps a little premature/simple view. 

Add in any potential Jan business which further adds to the “we’ll never know”.

As @Red-Robbo says - NP is gone so it is what it is - any further success will be upon his foundations and I’ll be very happy for Manning to have built on those if he does that! 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes heard this yesterday, found it very interesting. It was Ali saying it (George is the slightly posher one, and an Oxford fan). We speak a fair bit on OSIB DM’s, they’re both extremely good eggs. 

I found the man management point one that literally all City fans need to hear and take in, especially those who throw around the ‘cult of Nige’ ‘I told you so’ type comments. 

Would Manning have picked us up off the floor, with his personality and way of operating, in a culture that was so bad that players were hiding in the HPC to get out of training, in the way Pearson did? I wouldn’t have thought so. 

Would Pearson have us playing in such clear, structured, extremely detailed levels of preparation that clearly went into the Watford game? Again, I wouldn’t have thought so. 

There’s almost no point comparing who is ‘better’, when they are clearly both so different, with very different skill sets, who we clearly needed at the club at very different times. 

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

On 26/12/2023 at 17:17, A Horse With No Name said:

Well if we have it will mean the board got it spot on, and the majority on here were wrong. 

Bollocks

On 26/12/2023 at 17:30, Slacker said:

Just to clarify, I have no problem with Liam,just the manner of his appointment which is obviously no fault of his own. 

This.

to assume the board have pulled off some masterstroke is laughable, if you churn your managers every now and again you'll get a bit lucky and it will click in patches. This is a 3 game run !!! so lets sit and wait for end of season before we get all lathered up and start puckering up to Slippery Steve's and BlunderBoys arsehole.

I recall a story about Lord Lichfield, a 'so called' great photographer. he was alleged to have basically taken so many pictures that every now and again he produced something of merit. Monkeys and Typewriters basically.

i will appreciate the wins, and support the team, but as many have said, lets wait and see,

• Like 5

On 27/12/2023 at 09:25, DaveInSA said:

Oh do behave.

on the one hand, of course it’s a new era. With Jon and Tinnion running the show with Manning as their lackey.

And on the other you’ll be the first (well maybe second after Andy 80002052456472907462) on here when results dip (as they will) to spout off “Manning out”.

It’s about a bit of balance and perspective surely? We’re still a mid table squad. And it’s still too early to say if Manning is going to be a success or not. And we’ve had solid results in the last 3 games, which we just as easily could have got fewer points from.

Lackey? This proof their is still a few on here that are still sulking...unlike the rest of the support that are fully behind this new era. 

you say we were lucky last three games and yet there were games previous we were robbed by lady luck....

Really don't get your negative stance, as though you are relishing a quick down turn.

Bizarre.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Antman said:

Bollocks

This.

to assume the board have pulled off some masterstroke is laughable, if you churn your managers every now and again you'll get a bit lucky and it will click in patches. This is a 3 game run !!! so lets sit and wait for end of season before we get all lathered up and start puckering up to Slippery Steve's and BlunderBoys arsehole.

I recall a story about Lord Lichfield, a 'so called' great photographer. he was alleged to have basically taken so many pictures that every now and again he produced something of merit. Monkeys and Typewriters basically.

i will appreciate the wins, and support the team, but as many have said, lets wait and see,

Oh go and lend your support to another club, what nasty hate filled homophobic childish rant.

And people ask why we underachieve... THAT is why.

• Flames 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Of course it is...just a blip and you can all get back to actually have some value added hatred for the new style.

Nigel is fine....he has a lot to look back on and is a millionaire...wipe your tears xxx

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

38 minutes ago, petehinton said:

There’s almost no point comparing who is ‘better’, when they are clearly both so different, with very different skill sets, who we clearly needed at the club at very different times. 

Yeh, one is better at some things, the other is better at others.

This is why I was never fussed about Pearson getting a contract extension or leaving. I liked him, and he did a great job - but the job changed imo. It's kind of like a broken car or something - the mechanic that fixes it might be a fantastic mechanic, but he isn't necessarily the best bloke to then drive that car in a race.

Would I have made the change at the time and in the manner that the club did? No. But did I think a change was ultimately needed to address some of things that Pearson wasn't as good as? Yes.

42 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It was Ali saying it (George is the slightly posher one, and an Oxford fan).

Ah right George is the Oxford fan. Tbh if I paid more attention to it I'd know who they were I guess.