IGNORED

Have we just entered a new period in the history of Bristol City

Top Robin

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It was only 2 weeks ago that we had people predicting a relegation fight. Lose the next couple and they'll be back doing it again.

How about we just take it game to game without getting carried away either positively or negatively?

Absolutely this NR.

The other thing that struck me today, in the same theme. Two/three weeks ago Cifuentes at QPR was so say showing us what a new manager should be doing, and what an inferior appointment LM was. Now all of a sudden QPR have one point in 12 and we have 9/9! 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I have absolutely no idea why he’s still in the game.

Bit like someone who had a couple of massive hits in the 80s now playing gigs in a South Bristol pub.

He’s probably in his late 60s now & obvious what he once had doesn’t work anymore.

Still our most successful manager since Alan Dicks though & his achievements at Yeovil are phenomenal.

John Otway regularly plays (if you can call it playing) at the Thunderbolt on the Bath Road and he’s great. Admittedly it’s an acquired taste. Cor baby that’s  really free!

Edited by pongo88

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

A new period?

What's wrong with it being a continuation of the post LJ/Holden spend-a-thon? That was the end of a chapter for me, not Nige leaving.

Nige steadied the ship, Manning is now(hopefully) setting the course. Nige did a smashing job, and Manning can and will hopefully do one too... those things aren't mutually exclusive no matter how much some seem to think they are!

Onwards and upwards, and lets hope this chapter in our history now gains some real momentum with Liam at the helm.

Top, top, top post! Wish we could all acknowledge that without the back-and-forth point scoring. Great performance today, no way we play like that without having both Manning and Pearson having been at the club. Let's enjoy it! 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Whatever happens (and I’m loving what I’m seeing atm) this transfer window will make or break it for me, difference between bottom to mid v mid to top half. 

I remember Phil Alexander suggesting that the Lansdowns may well be willing to crack open the nest egg in a Jan window if they felt one season we were in a position to get top 6. 

It's possible we could be in and around the top 6 when the window opens. That 6th place is achievable imo. So maybe they will go for it? But of course the money needs to be spent wisely. 

Bonkers to declare him the right appointment so early, we were two points off the POs when NP was sacked, and now we’re one point off. What we can surely all agree on though is that it’s been a very encouraging 9 points from 9, three wins in three different circumstances, and two very winnable games to come. 

edit: quoted the wrong post 🙄

Edited by luke_bristol
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Bonkers to declare him the right appointment so early, we were two points off the POs when NP was

sacked, and now we’re one point off. What we can surely all agree on though is that it’s been a very encouraging 9 points from 9, three wins in three different circumstances, and two very winnable games to come. 

Looking at the league fixtures I think all games until Feb v Leeds are winnable 

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW ⬆️⬆️⬆️

I want to hear from Chris Hogg, haven’t heard from him (have we?) since his appointment interview?

Usually enjoy your points but there's no way you can blame the "bounce around" chant for the reason our levels dropped. It happened in several previous games where we took an early lead, just a coincidence surely?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How much have you been paid on Boxing day to say this? 

To be honest, I’m Pearson all day long. Felt as though he’d been treated harshly, no one will convince me different unless he comes out at some point and declares that it was health related. Whilst it isn’t Mannings fault, he’ll have to win me over. Mainly owing to the board treatment of NP. 3 wins on the bounce won’t do that, however it’ll bloody help. The league is hugely competitive so I’ll take my hat off to him. Continue getting the points on the board whilst he makes his tweaks, I’ll warm to the appointment. In time, if he’s got points on the board now as he changes style (gradually) and then performances improve / as his styles are implemented, but the points dip a little he’ll remain in a bit of credit. 

Im on board with a lot of your posts. I feel today today though, credit is due. Enjoy the 3 points. 

31 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sorry? What? It seems you might even be disappointed with todays result, not sure why, what a great result. 3 wins in 3, long time since we’ve done that, before NP anyway, either way very strange where most are happy you seem disapointed.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I visited all the Championship forums and Otib is by far the best one. Owlstalk comes a distant second

We’re number one.

Readytogo is the best I've seen, having not got a membership to view Waccoe

OTIB is nowhere near as busy but I think we have more intelligent posters than most others

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slacker said:

We will never know what would have happened if NP was still here so not sure how you can say that .

The bloke hadn’t won 2 in a row in over 30 games 

Im sure I read earlier that this was our first 3 wins in a row since November 2020? 

if that’s right - Manning has already achieved something Pearson never did 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Positive performance and an even better result today. No doubting that. But it’s still very early days for Manning and while the recent results have been positive, he will be judged on a wider set of results than today. One thing’s for sure, the squad is an honest, hardworking one and they deserve a bit of luck.

• Like 1

In response to the OP yes ofcourse we have. To be pedantic every day that passes heralds a new period of history for Bristol City, so a change in manager/head coach and different backroom staff running the team must do. Whether or not the change will bring an upgrade in our fortune remains to be seen. The last few games though give room for some optimism. 

49 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I remember Phil Alexander suggesting that the Lansdowns may well be willing to crack open the nest egg in a Jan window if they felt one season we were in a position to get top 6. 

It's possible we could be in and around the top 6 when the window opens. That 6th place is achievable imo. So maybe they will go for it? But of course the money needs to be spent wisely. 

Agree with this post - the placement of us in the league will also attract better players than if we were wallowing in mid-table mediocrity (which is still a possibility if we  have a couple of bumps in the road).

Must be positive - now need to make AG a fortress (post Brum away of course - not an easy questions to answer) - onwards and updwards (with a large dose of "feet on the floor".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Im sure I read earlier that this was our first 3 wins in a row since November 2020? 

If he improves us consistently fair play to him and contrary to (some) popular opinion, everyone will be delighted. Definitely some positive signs, but a) very early days and b) not that long since we had a manager who managed long winning steaks, but also had a penchant for long losing streaks. Too early to be drawing useful comparisons for me (and nothing will ever be like for like, so probably more important how we’re getting on than whether Manning is de facto better than Pearson, Dicks or Beasley). Great performance today. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Let's hope so.

Now you've done it. we will now lose 3 in a row.

Seriously, today was as good as an away performance and result as we have had in recent years. We need to keep the senior players fit, and we can be in the mix with the other non-parachute payment clubs. Getting Naismith/Atkinson/McCrorie into the squad will also be like having new signings. The Championship can turn in a nano second, as we all know by now. 3 wins breeds confidence, and that is a huge boost. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CardiffRed said:

Sorry? What? It seems you might even be disappointed with todays result, not sure why, what a great result. 3 wins in 3, long time since we’ve done that, before NP anyway, either way very strange where most are happy you seem disapointed.

As a 'new' poster you may not be aware of this but around the time NP was sacked, we were infiltrated by employees of Bristol Sport. A lot of them had red in their names I believe. Their posts was exactly like all of your posts have been. Pro Lansdown, anti NP and pro Liam Manning. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He’s not Bristol Sport, he’s a returning banned poster.  He ruins a fantastic forum, even if at times posters disagree.

4 hours ago, Packman said:

Usually enjoy your points but there's no way you can blame the "bounce around" chant for the reason our levels dropped. It happened in several previous games where we took an early lead, just a coincidence surely?

Not imho.  I think it distracts our players.  I’m glad Liam Manning is of a similar opinion to me (😉) even if we might draw different conclusions from it.

It’s tinpot, it refers to previous manager(s)….i would rather we came up with something new for LM.

my opinion, that’s all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

As a 'new' poster you may not be aware of this but around the time NP was sacked, we were infiltrated by employees of Bristol Sport. A lot of them had red in their names I believe. Their posts was exactly like all of your posts have been. Pro Lansdown, anti NP and pro Liam Manning. 

I’m going to give you £5 as a late Christmas gift so you can be a OTIB supporter 

merry Christmas you tight git :laugh:

• Haha 2

Maybe it’s a lazy comparison but Raneiri went into Leicester after Pearson and found great success off the back of what Pearson had built.  Pearson had stated in a couple of previous interviews that it would be possibly someone else who would come in and take the club forward.  This is testament to the solid foundation that Pearson created that in both cases it can be built on rather than knocked down and started again.  Also being a Leicester fan it’s been interesting to see the similarities in how both situations have panned out up to now and whilst I would have been happy for Pearson to remain I’m equally happy that Manning has come and hope that history can repeat itself and we go on to find success (not suggesting winning the Prem obviously) and we finish the season with something to play for going into the last few games.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Surely nothing wrong with being 'pro Liam Manning' ? 

• Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

We won two in a row in August.

There’s no point in revisiting what Pearson would or would not be doing now, he’s gone but this isn’t true.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1