IGNORED

Those who have sadly died in the public eye - 2024

Norn Iron

On 13/02/2024 at 18:35, phantom said:

I met him at Temple Meads many years ago, it was only when he spoke I realised who he was 

He had a very distinctive and articulate voice 

A voice for radio…

I went to the Radio 1 roadshow at Weston-Super-Mare back in the 80s

• Like 1

No need to apologise - the man deserves a thread of his own.

An absolute titan and my absolute cricketing hero. Many great memories. An exhilarating, thunderous, player.

Raising a glass of Pinotage to him tonight.

Thanks big man, rest in peace.

Proctershire la-la-la.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That is sad news.

I follow Somerset, but I well remember enjoying that epic match in the darkness against Lancashire.

Same.

I’m Somerset too, but he was an all time great.

Very sad, RIP.

A magnificent cricketer and a match winner 

Sadly denied a test career, so who knows where he'd rank among all time greats, but he'd be up there.

Absolute legend .
Leader of the side I started watching as a kid . I was at the head to head game Vs Ian Botham at the County Ground that Proc won. Travesty he never had the International career he deserved .

RIP.

• Robin 1

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Absolute legend .
Leader of the side I started watching as a kid . I was at the head to head game Vs Ian Botham at the County Ground that Proc won. Travesty he never had the International career he deserved .

RIP.

Some truly world class South Africans at the time

23 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Some truly world class South Africans at the time

That 22 year ban meant we didn't get to see what could have been a really brilliant side , I was a big fan of Barry Richards at the time too .

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That 22 year ban meant we didn't get to see what could have been a really brilliant side , I was a big fan of Barry Richards at the time too .

Richards was very classy, Rice and Pollock were world class as well

One of my all time heroes and responsible for some of the best days I have ever had at cricket. So many stories to tell. 

My uncle went on several tours with him for his charity team. On one tour he got the taste for a particularly well known lager. When they came down to breakfast in the morning, he wasn't there. My uncle asked where he was "he's out" someone said, "Out?" "Yeah, Stumped Stella, Bowled Artois" 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, glynriley said:

Sad news. Proctor and Zaheer made me fall in love with cricket after going to Neville Road with my Uncles. RIP Mike

Just posted the same to my brother.

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

When cricket was cricket and cricketers were cricketers ! Saw him so many times at Nevil Rd, Cheltenham and Gloucester, you just couldn't taker your eyes off him for a moment, wonderful player, great man , RIP !

So many things to remember, Hitting a hookshot into the benches at Nevil Road so hard that I thought the second sound was an echo, until I saw the ball bouncing back down towards  the pitch. The flattest 6 I have ever seen.

And this.... 4 wickets in 5 balls including Gordon Greenidge and his best mate Barry Richards. 

He always said he found it hard to bowl around the wicket in most English conditions because the ball would swing too much for him to control. But it all came right this day.

Try playing spot the ball with the last one. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

5 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Richards was very classy, Rice and Pollock were world class as well

When they came for trials, the rules didn't allow Gloucestershire to take both Richards and Proctor, so they had to make a choice. They chose Procter for the bowling option, but it could have easily gone the other way. Richards was probably the best batsman in the world for long periods of his career along side his namesake from the Caribbean. 

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Just posted the same to my brother.

So many things to remember, Hitting a hookshot into the benches at Nevil Road so hard that I thought the second sound was an echo, until I saw the ball bouncing back down towards  the pitch. The flattest 6 I have ever seen.

And this.... 4 wickets in 5 balls including Gordon Greenidge and his best mate Barry Richards. 

He always said he found it hard to bowl around the wicket in most English conditions because the ball would swing too much for him to control. But it all came right this day.

Try playing spot the ball with the last one. :)

Thanks for that, not seen that for years  (before the days of VCR's), great day !

• Like 1