IGNORED

Those who have sadly died in the public eye - 2024

Norn Iron

50 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

If your a cricket fan its a shame you didnt see him play

Way before my time also

Botham or Hadlee for me unless you class Wasim Akram as an all rounder

Wasim was more of a bowler who could fling the bat. I never saw him as an all rounder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Hence you rated Bottham above Prockey ?

I saw Botham play both in Taunton and in tests - he was always an entertaining watch - that’s what I based my opinion on. Cricket stats mean bugger all to me!

I saw Proctor at Neville Rd several times - we always feared him and delighted when he got out

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s an interesting debate as to who was/is the best all rounder in the last 60+years. There are several candidates, Richard Hadlee, Ian Botham, Freddy Flintoff, Jaques Kaliss, Ben Stokes, Kapil Dev, Colin de Grandhomme.

For me it would be Ian Botham.

Stats don’t come into it for me - mine is based on pure entertainment value.

In that case Mike Proctor wins hands down, and I watched him for several seasons as a Gloucestershire member.  I think he was the only cricketer I’ve ever watched who could make you believe that he could hit any ball for six, or take a hat-trick in any over.  I also saw him and Barry Richards play at Shirehampton when they were schoolboys, and remember several windows in the golf course clubhouse over the road being broken that night.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

Sobers was the one that I never saw play and why he’s not on my list.

I was fortunate as a child to see the West Indies play Glamorgan in Cardiff.  Glamorgan where building the side that would go on to win the county championship (including the left arm fast bowler Jeff Jones) but the West Indies played almost their full test team - Sobers, Hunters, Butcher, Gibbs, Hall & Griffiths, Murray, etc.  I’ll never forget the sight of Wes Hall starting his run on the boundary rope and thundering in…

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

In that case Mike Proctor wins hands down, and I watched him for several seasons as a Gloucestershire member.  I think he was the only cricketer I’ve ever watched who could make you believe that he could hit any ball for six, or take a hat-trick in any over.  

Its a subjective view DP - I saw Botham many more times that the other candidates and to me he was absolute value for money. I loved watching him bowl and and bat. He rarely had a poor game.

6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Also in A Clockwork Orange with local lad, Dave Prowse.

Top marks for throwing in "I say".

John Savident was always good in Corrie when I used to watch it. He is also in Battle Of Britain as an RAF officer speaking to Larry Olivier.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Been announced that Stan Bowles, QPR legend has passed away today.

Nooooo! Rightly so to use the word legend.

How true is it that when he broke his leg playing us at AG, the St John's Ambulance carried him off on a stretcher and then left him in the car park?

39 minutes ago, Big C said:

Dave Myers, one half of TV cooking duo The Hairy Bikers, has died at the age of 66, two years after revealing he had been diagnosed with cancer.

That's sad news...a close friendship as well as a working relationship.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Big C said:

Dave Myers, one half of TV cooking duo The Hairy Bikers, has died at the age of 66, two years after revealing he had been diagnosed with cancer.

Always enjoyed their down to earth cooking style. Nothing too poncy like other tv chefs. Some entertaining road trips too.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's sad news...a close friendship as well as a working relationship.

Indeed they were. Sad to see good friends and a duo like that split.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Duncan Fearnley

https://www.fearnleycricket.co.uk/products/duncan-fearnley-announcement/?ftUrlPreviewMode=true

Renowned Worcester cricketer and businessman Duncan Fearnley passes away aged 83.

Worcester cricket company, Duncan Fearnley Cricket Sales (DFCS) Ltd has today announced the sad passing of its founder and namesake, Duncan Fearnley, aged 83, following a brief illness.

A renowned local cricketer, Fearnley played for Worcester CC for 7 years, making 97 appearances. He was named Chair of the club in 1986, and held the prestigious title of Club President and Honorary Vice-President thereafter.

In the 1980s Fearnley became globally recognised for cricket bat craftsmanship under DFCS. His high quality, British willow bats were revered by many cricket superstars of the time, including Ian Botham.

Managing director of DFCS, Gary Dixon says: "Hearing the news of Duncan's death this afternoon was a real shock to all of us." "He was a true legend in the cricket manufacturing world and built the Duncan Fearnley brand into the leading force it was and is today" "We are proud to keep the name of Duncan Fearnley at the fore, so he can continue to be remembered within the cricket world as an innovator and a true craftsman in bat making. Out thoughts are with the Fearnley family."

Duncan leaves behind his wife Mary, Son Paul, Daughter Louise and Grandson Charlie. 

Today, DFCS continues to produce quality cricket equipment and clothing in the UK for global markets, Owned and operated by the Dixon family since early 2000's, Duncan's son Paul, remains integral to the business's success, acting as brand manager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, northsomersetred said:

Duncan Fearnley

https://www.fearnleycricket.co.uk/products/duncan-fearnley-announcement/?ftUrlPreviewMode=true

Renowned Worcester cricketer and businessman Duncan Fearnley passes away aged 83.

Worcester cricket company, Duncan Fearnley Cricket Sales (DFCS) Ltd has today announced the sad passing of its founder and namesake, Duncan Fearnley, aged 83, following a brief illness.

A renowned local cricketer, Fearnley played for Worcester CC for 7 years, making 97 appearances. He was named Chair of the club in 1986, and held the prestigious title of Club President and Honorary Vice-President thereafter.

In the 1980s Fearnley became globally recognised for cricket bat craftsmanship under DFCS. His high quality, British willow bats were revered by many cricket superstars of the time, including Ian Botham.

Managing director of DFCS, Gary Dixon says: "Hearing the news of Duncan's death this afternoon was a real shock to all of us." "He was a true legend in the cricket manufacturing world and built the Duncan Fearnley brand into the leading force it was and is today" "We are proud to keep the name of Duncan Fearnley at the fore, so he can continue to be remembered within the cricket world as an innovator and a true craftsman in bat making. Out thoughts are with the Fearnley family."

Duncan leaves behind his wife Mary, Son Paul, Daughter Louise and Grandson Charlie. 

Today, DFCS continues to produce quality cricket equipment and clothing in the UK for global markets, Owned and operated by the Dixon family since early 2000's, Duncan's son Paul, remains integral to the business's success, acting as brand manager. 

My partner's uncle!

Duncan was a great bloke with a thousand tales, I was lucky enough to spend some time with him holding court in the bar behind his house in Worcester- normally with him trying to get everyone bladdered on overproof rum!

He loved a drink and he really, really loved Worcestershire CCC and cricket in general. He wasn't quite good enough to be a pro, but found another way to change the sport. He'll live on through his son Paul keeping his name on fantastic bats.

Rip Duncan!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1