IGNORED

Those who have sadly died in the public eye - 2024

Norn Iron

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

One of my all time heroes and responsible for some of the best days I have ever had at cricket. So many stories to tell. 

My uncle went on several tours with him for his charity team. On one tour he got the taste for a particularly well known lager. When they came down to breakfast in the morning, he wasn't there. My uncle asked where he was "he's out" someone said, "Out?" "Yeah, Stumped Stella, Bowled Artois" 🤣

Yes, he certainly "liked" a drink !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

When they came for trials, the rules didn't allow Gloucestershire to take both Richards and Proctor, so they had to make a choice. They chose Procter for the bowling option, but it could have easily gone the other way. Richards was probably the best batsman in the world for long periods of his career along side his namesake from the Caribbean. 

Yes, Richards left the game early, as he said, he found it a bit too easy !

• Haha 1

Posted in the County cricket thread then saw other tributes here.....

A great servant to Gloucestershire and probably their greatest ever overseas player.

I once saw him hit six consecutive sixes off Denis Breakwell at Taunton, the reason it’s not talked about as much is because it was 2 off the last 2 balls of his over then 4 off the first 4 of his next.

In an era where we were spoilt rotten in county cricket, getting to see the worlds best week in week out, Proccie was one of the best all rounders and I always enjoyed watching against Somerset. 

• Like 3

On 18/02/2024 at 22:11, ralphindevon said:

Posted in the County cricket thread then saw other tributes here.....

A great servant to Gloucestershire and probably their greatest ever overseas player.

I once saw him hit six consecutive sixes off Denis Breakwell at Taunton, the reason it’s not talked about as much is because it was 2 off the last 2 balls of his over then 4 off the first 4 of his next.

In an era where we were spoilt rotten in county cricket, getting to see the worlds best week in week out, Proccie was one of the best all rounders and I always enjoyed watching against Somerset. 

Yes, our generation had them all. I used to love cricket, too much hit and giggle. I don't know half the England players or where they play their county cricket (oh ,that's right ,they don't) and no offence to your lot, but picking someone who's barely played half a dozen first class games, well ! Central contracts ruined the game for me, anyway !   Rant over .

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, our generation had them all. I used to love cricket, too much hit and giggle. I don't know half the England players or where they play their county cricket (oh ,that's right ,they don't) and no offence to your lot, but picking someone who's barely played half a dozen first class games, well ! Central contracts ruined the game for me, anyway !   Rant over .

Yes I know what you mean. I can remember going with my grandad in the mid/late 70s and thinking how brilliant it would be to be retired and spending large chunks of the summer watching the greatest cricketers in the world at Taunton, Bath and Weston.

Now I’m just a few years away from retiring I’m not 100% sure there’ll be much worth watching by the time I get there. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Central contracts enables players to concentrate 100% on England and in the case of batsmen gives them security that they won’t be dropped if their form dips - that was a big issue before central contracts were introduced. Guys were getting left out after just one test in some cases. 

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

If your rant was based on an innings, it was more of a night watchman effort! I'm sure you could do better Slarti!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Brilliant tho Proctor was I’m sure if he were still around that he’d agree that he wasn’t at the same level as Botham, Kalas,Flintoff and Stokes.

I'll give you Kallis, up there with the other three though (certainly Stokes and Flintoff) all about opinions though

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Central contracts enables players to concentrate 100% on England and in the case of batsmen gives them security that they won’t be dropped if their form dips - that was a big issue before central contracts were introduced. Guys were getting left out after just one test in some cases. 

Like Mike "Smudger" Smith ?

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Popplewell from Somerset was another.

Poor old Nigel, who never seemed to recover from his very brief England career....

Or did I just imagine it?

I was quite sure that NP played a Test match for England, but none of WIKI, ESPN or Wisden make any mention of it.

Is anybody able to add anything further?

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Poor old Nigel, who never seemed to recover from his very brief England career....

I was quite sure that NP played a Test match for England, but none of WIKI, ESPN or Wisden make any mention of it.

He opened with Atherton   - can’t recall who against or which venue but his batting weaknesses were cruelly exposed and he played only one test

I remember him taking a brilliant one handed diving catch against  Yorkshire at Clarence Pk in Weston during festival week. Ray Illingworth was Yorkshire captain at the time. Viv Richards played for Somerset that day and came in lower down the order 6 or 7 iirc. 

Would have been the early 80s.

Edited by Robbored
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He opened with Atherton   - can’t recall who against or which venue but his batting weaknesses were cruelly exposed and he played only one test

I remember him taking a brilliant one handed diving catch against  Yorkshire at Clarence Pk in Weston during festival week. Ray Illingworth was Yorkshire captain at the time. Viv Richards played for Somerset that day and came in lower down the order 6 or 7 iirc. 

I think you may be getting mixed up. I think Popplewell may have had an MCC tour to his name, but I don't think he ever played for England. Mark Lathwell on the other hand did play two tests opening with Atherton and looked poor in a pretty poor England side.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think you may be getting mixed up. I think Popplewell may have had an MCC tour to his name, but I don't think he ever played for England. Mark Lathwell on the other hand did play two tests opening with Atherton and looked poor in a pretty poor England side.

Ab! - you’re right PSR. I was confusing Lathwell with Popplewell. It was definitely Popplewell that took that one handed diving catch at Clarence Pk tho!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Nigel Pearson? This could get very confusing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 20/02/2024 at 08:54, Robbored said:

Brilliant tho Proctor was I’m sure if he were still around that he’d agree that he wasn’t at the same level as Botham, Kalas,Flintoff and Stokes.

I’ll challenge you on that one.  I think he was as good as any of them.  Certainly better that Flintoff (by some distance) and Kallis (I assume that’s who you mean), probably Stokes and at least on a par with Botham.  Gary Sobers still the best all-rounder of my lifetime though.

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ll challenge you on that one.  I think he was as good as any of them.  Certainly better that Flintoff (by some distance) and Kallis (I assume that’s who you mean), probably Stokes and at least on a par with Botham.  Gary Sobers still the best all-rounder of my lifetime though.

It’s an interesting debate as to who was/is the best all rounder in the last 60+years. There are several candidates, Richard Hadlee, Ian Botham, Freddy Flintoff, Jaques Kaliss, Ben Stokes, Kapil Dev, Colin de Grandhomme.

For me it would be Ian Botham.

Stats don’t come into it for me - mine is based on pure entertainment value.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s an interesting debate as to who was/is the best all rounder in the last 60+years. There are several candidates, Richard Hadlee, Ian Botham, Freddy Flintoff, Jaques Kaliss, Ben Stokes, Kapil Dev, Colin de Grandhomme.

Remember having a beer with Richard Hadlee in a pub in Nelson, NZ a good few years back. Nice guy. The whole day was memorable though with the Aussie & NZ teams all in the bar at the same time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That list is missing Imran Khan and Sobers

also

Freddy not in the same league as those others