IGNORED

Those who have sadly died in the public eye - 2024

Norn Iron

1 hour ago, Big C said:

All By Myself songwriter Eric Carmen dies aged 74

And what a great idea he had to base it on a classical tune free of copyright. 

Stunning song of his too. Any covers not so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

BBC News - Karl Wallinger: Whole of the Moon artist dies aged 66
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68540877

Ship Of Fools is one of my favourite tracks of all time. What an album as well. 

A fellow lefty, but unusual in that he played a right handed guitar upside down without swapping the strings around.

Can think of a few who played that way, including John Butler of Diesel Park West, but it's far more unusual to learn all the chords upside down like that.

RIP Karl.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

A fellow lefty, but unusual in that he played a right handed guitar upside down without swapping the strings around.

Can think of a few who played that way, including John Butler of Diesel Park West, but it's far more unusual to learn all the chords upside down like that.

RIP Karl.

Didn't Jimi Hendrix do similar?

34 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Didn't Jimi Hendrix do similar?

He swapped the strings on a right handed guitar, to play left handed.

Wallinger just turned it around to play left handed, meaning he is playing all the chords in an odd way.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

RIP Steve Harley, and thank you for one of the greatest songs of all time.

Saw him early 1990s at what used to be the Hofbrauhaus (no idea what it is these days). Absolutely brilliant live performance. RIP Steve.

This clip is from the same tour:

21 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Just watched a documentary on SH, I knew he had polio as a youngster, BUT watching him walk down the street, he had a limp almost as pronounced as Ian Dury's !

That's what struck me seeing him live. Saw Ian Dury too, although his limp was worse than SH.

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

That's what struck me seeing him live. Saw Ian Dury too, although his limp was worse than SH.

Yes, I saw Steve at a festival in the mid 80's, never noticed him limp, perhaps it got worse with age ?  One thing I do remember though was he was quite balding, I reckon he had a hair transplant, but good luck to him and RIP .

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Richard Taylor death: Campaigner and father of Damilola Taylor dies - BBC News

He did so much good work since his son was murdered but still must have been saddened that children are still stabbing and killing other children twenty four years later.

I remember when this happened it was so shocking. Now it seems to be happening most weeks and very close to home.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I remember when this happened it was so shocking. Now it seems to be happening most weeks and very close to home.

I know. Back then there were questions asked in the House if something like this happened but now it seems like there`s one every day and it barely gets reported outside of the local area.

A sad world we live in.

28 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I know. Back then there were questions asked in the House if something like this happened but now it seems like there`s one every day and it barely gets reported outside of the local area.

A sad world we live in.

It's absolutely dreadful. Really can't see how things are going to change for the better. 

• Sad 1

Television personality George Gilbey has died after suffering a fall while at work.

Essex Police said it was called to a road in Shoebury, near Southend-on-Sea, after a report that a man working at height had fallen.

The 40-year-old, a self-employed electrician, died at the scene.

Gilbey starred in eight series of Channel 4's Gogglebox and also Celebrity Big Brother on Channel 5.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am just hearing that Larry Lloyd, Bristolian former Liverpool centre back, has died.

Another one from that generation of footballers of my youth.

Another sad loss - aged 75. Played for Forest alongside Kenny Burns hen they won the European cups. 

Drummer Gerry Conway, Fairport Convention , husband of Pentangle's Jaqui Mcshee, and former Fotheringhay, Richard Thompson Band, Jethro Tull , Cat Stevens and many session groups passed away yesterday. RIP Gerry, thanks for the memories and music !

Edited by slartibartfast