IGNORED

Tommy Conway

reddogkev

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Would you sign?

He’s being played in a system that means he gets less chances, looks less effective and drops his choice of club/ability to move up the ladder the more we play it.

If I was him, there’s no chance in hell I’d sign an extension.

He wasn’t signing it from the start of the season in fairness but agree we certainly aren’t playing to his strengths.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

43 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Would you sign?

He’s being played in a system that means he gets less chances, looks less effective and drops his choice of club/ability to move up the ladder the more we play it.

If I was him, there’s no chance in hell I’d sign an extension.

Would I sign? Good question. 

Its hard for Tommy as he's seen Semenyo and Scott leave to play in the Premier League.  Any player should really believe in their own abilities, and Tommy will be no different, but I don't think he's ready.......... yet. So for me, the sensible thing to do would be to sign a contract here, maybe with a buyout clause and back yourself at the club that's coached him from a youngster.  He's scored 6 goals in the league, and only 3 from open play. This needs to improve in my opinion regardless of who he plays for. 3 goals from open play in the league simply isn't great, no matter how you sugar-coat it. You mention a system that Tommy isn't used to, but most Premier League teams (61.1%) played that system during the course of the season and its on an upward trend, so he better get used to it. 

If he isn't looking to move to the Premier League and he just wants out of the club, then, I guess questions need to be asked as to why that is and why he thinks his development isn't best served here. In this day and age though, players need to be able to adapt to a number of different systems especially if you have your sights on playing in the most competitive league in the world. 

So if you were him you wouldn't sign. So where would you suggest he went? Surely you don't think he's good enough for the Prem?  Sitting on a Premier League bench is the last thing he needs at this point in his career. 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just listening.  No he isn’t is he!

Do you see what I mean? I didn't look or sound comfortable, did he. 

Edited by Tim Monaghan
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just listening.  No he isn’t is he!

Patted back with a straight bat.

There is no way he will sign the contract , specially if he's leaving it to his representatives . Sounds like he's saying , my agent is touting me around and looking for his biggest fee . Not sure what his family can add, unless they're trawling right move for a 2 bed flat in Sandbanks he can share with Scotty. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Its hard for Tommy as he's seen Semenyo and Scott leave to play in the Premier League.  Any player should really believe in their own abilities, and Tommy will be no different, but I don't think he's ready.......... yet. So for me, the sensible thing to do would be to sign a contract here, maybe with a buyout clause and back yourself at the club that's coached him from a youngster.  He's scored 6 goals in the league, and only 3 from open play. This needs to improve in my opinion regardless of who he plays for. 3 goals from open play in the league simply isn't great, no matter how you sugar-coat it. You mention a system that Tommy isn't used to, but most Premier League teams (61.1%) played that system during the course of the season and its on an upward trend, so he better get used to it. 

If he isn't looking to move to the Premier League and he just wants out of the club, then, I guess questions need to be asked as to why that is and why he thinks his development isn't best served here. In this day and age though, players need to be able to adapt to a number of different systems especially if you have your sights on playing in the most competitive league in the world. 

So if you were him you wouldn't sign. So where would you suggest he went? Surely you don't think he's good enough for the Prem?  Sitting on a Premier League bench is the last thing he needs at this point in his career. 

I said on a post a few weeks ago - I don’t think he’s prem quality (edit -yet) but i certainly can see him at someone like a Boro or a Cov.

Ultimately there is no benefit to him signing here - prem clubs may play a variation of this system (not overly convinced as that as it’s more than formation it’s style) but he’s drowning here, and his goal return is getting less and less. Another season here, in this system, played at this pace, with this number of chances, kills the prem dream for him for some time. Hes reliant on how we’re playing giving him jam tomorrow - and there aren’t major signs of that

I can see the logic in him signing as a Bristol City fan. He’s not though- he’s a pro and if I was advising him I’d be saying to go somewhere else this summer.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Much to agree with.

But think it’s too simple to say x% play that system.  It’s surely about service in that system.

When you watch others sides play “that system” they still work the ball beyond the back-line and are getting chances from pull-backs, etc.

image.thumb.png.7a78b91931988cc9e09f3dea1072aed9.png

Liam Manning - after QPR (a) his first game.  If I was to be critical of LM in just one area, it would be this one, and what I’d suggest was lip-service to this comment.  How often have we’ve seen Pring bustle his way to the goal-line and cut back for TC, or for Sykes to tap-in at the far post under LM?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Much to agree with.

But think it’s too simple to say x% play that system.  It’s surely about service in that system.

When you watch others sides play “that system” they still work the ball beyond the back-line and are getting chances from pull-backs, etc.

image.thumb.png.7a78b91931988cc9e09f3dea1072aed9.png

Liam Manning - after QPR (a) his first game.  If I was to be critical of LM in just one area, it would be this one, and what I’d suggest was lip-service to this comment.  How often have we’ve seen Pring bustle his way to the goal-line and cut back for TC, or for Sykes to tap-in at the far post under LM?

I often refer to the Dons snd Oxford views on Liam and the below is pretty relevant here. If he can’t get the cutbacks working, it seems there is a dearth of other answers to create chances…..

IMG_2673.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Patted back with a straight bat.

There is no way he will sign the contract , specially if he's leaving it to his representatives . Sounds like he's saying , my agent is touting me around and looking for his biggest fee . Not sure what his family can add, unless they're trawling right move for a 2 bed flat in Sandbanks he can share with Scotty. 

I believe his agent is Danny Coles aswell, so pretty sure he wouldn’t want him here!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I often refer to the Dons snd Oxford views on Liam and the below is pretty relevant here. If he can’t get the cutbacks working, it seems there is a dearth of other answers to create chances…..

IMG_2673.jpeg

That’s a worrying description if ever there was. So lots of possession but minimal end product beyond cut backs and “wonder goals”. Our recent form (or lack of) and goal scoring woes for our centre forward players is making a lot more sense. 😡

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

IMG_2673.jpeg

We aren’t even getting the cut-backs 🤣🤣🤣

Step forward TGH thunderbastard at the weekend

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Let’s assume for arguments sake we have offered him 12k a week to stay. If he knows he can get 20k a week somewhere else then he shouldn’t sign for 12k a week.  I would assume he knows he can get more than we are offering him or he would have signed.  It’s not really up to him where to go unless more than one club are in for him and then he has a choice.  I would cash in now if I was him.  Every player is a serious injury away from not being able to command £20k per week. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

That’s a worrying description if ever there was. So lots of possession but minimal end product beyond cut backs and “wonder goals”. Our recent form (or lack of) and goal scoring woes for our centre forward players is making a lot more sense. 😡

I don’t like comparing Liam to LJ, but the cutback position representing “POMO” sprang to mind!

On a broader basis, it starts to become pretty one dimensional and better teams defend against it. And then when you’ve got not great quality out wide (cough..Mehemti…) the position is even worse….

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just like game two Dave. Boro home, going nowhere. Nothing created. Goal from nothing as I profess to this day TGH got pissed off (or too emotional) and sad “sod the process” and smacked one in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t like comparing Liam to LJ, but the cutback position representing “POMO” sprang to mind!

On a broader basis, it starts to become pretty one dimensional and better teams defend against it. And then when you’ve got not great quality out wide (cough..Mehemti…) the position is even worse….

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think between you that you have identified the problem. Especially as Mehmeti always wants to cut inside as soon as he gets anywhere near the penalty area. Difficult to cut back from there…

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I think between you that you have identified the problem. Especially as Mehmeti always wants to cut inside as soon as he gets anywhere near the penalty area. Difficult to cut back from there…

One of the most damning decisions Liam has made is Mehmeti. He put him straight in the side at QPR and has played him in the majority of games since despite him being sketchy at best. There were people who when he’d had two passable games were scared of losing him in the transfer window, when in over a year at the club now, he’s never seemed consistently up to the level.

Im of the firm belief that Liam had him on his list at Oxford - and Anis may have done well there - but Liam misjudged the gap between league one and this level. In a lot of things, but that one notably. And he played Anis because he would have been good at league one. 

So is Chris bloody Martin.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

One of the most damning decisions Liam has made is Mehmeti. He put him straight in the side at QPR and has played him in the majority of games since despite him being sketchy at best. There were people who when he’d had two passable games were scared of losing him in the transfer window, when in over a year at the club now, he’s never seemed consistently up to the level.

Im of the firm belief that Liam had him on his list at Oxford - and Anis may have done well there - but Liam misjudged the gap between league one and this level. In a lot of things, but that one notably. And he played Anis because he would have been good at league one. 

Exactly my thoughts as well...add that it was  BT recruited, so will have the backing to play him. Double whammy. 

He's miles off Championship standard ATM. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I would suggest on the evidence of last season, both with us and QPR, plus how he has been ripping it up in League 1, that Chris Martin would still be more use to us at this level in terms of getting goals than Mehmeti.

• Like 2

Disappointing season overall, dropped himself out the Scotland u21 squad where he trained with the seniors to make an impression with Manning, his best mate is doing great at Bournemouth but Tommy couldn’t even hit a barn door right now, is he trying to hard? Is he wishing he was where Alex was? Tbh it’s not just Tommy playing badly, most of the players have had stop start seasons in my eyes, but mainly up top has let us down most

Thought Tommy's answer to the contract question was absolutely fine, personally I don't think he will sign but he's not going to commit one way or another to a question mid season so he batted it away comfortably.

Edited by Lrrr

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Kid's the leader of his own fanclub in my opinion. I don't rate him highly if i'm honest.

See ya later, we can get better in the Summer imo and I think LM will think that too.

Just out of interest, who do you think we’ll get who’s better in the summer ?

Not saying your wrong but just interested to hear your suggestions 

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Just out of interest, who do you think we’ll get who’s better in the summer ?

Not saying your wrong but just interested to hear your suggestions 

I have absolutely no idea but there have been ramblings of a new Number 9? 

I don't rate Conway highly, so I see this as good news to get a replacement in. I would hope we're in the mould of the likes of Carlton Morris or Adebayo, handfuls from League 1 who can potentially make the step up (Maybe a Dion Charles?)

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I have absolutely no idea but there have been ramblings of a new Number 9? 

I don't rate Conway highly, so I see this as good news to get a replacement in. I would hope we're in the mould of the likes of Carlton Morris or Adebayo, handfuls from League 1 who can potentially make the step up (Maybe a Dion Charles?)

Didn’t know anything about Charles but appears he’ll be 29 a couple of months into the new season and doesn’t appear to have played above league 1 standard.

Surely there’s a reason why nobody has snapped him up earlier at that age ?

Many on here (me included) have compared him to a young Alan Shearer, although not recently, but I am now thinking more along the lines of Patrick Bamford.

I think TC would be excellent in a Leeds type team, at this level, i.e. Championship, but I am not sure he is going to cut it in the Premier League.

I wish him luck, but time will tell.  

I found it quite interesting that, when talking about TC, Manning always talks about getting him to learn and focus on defensive play.

I’m not saying that’s wrong as such, but it does support the narrative of Manning forcing the squad to bend to his style, rather than him bending to the players he has.

If I was TC, I wouldn’t sign a new contract. He clearly isn’t an exact match for our new style, and may very well find himself on the bench for a couple of years if he hangs around. Manning isn’t adapting his approach.

• Like 2