IGNORED

Coventry City away match thread

1 minute ago, One Team said:

Ordinarily a point away is good but if we have any remote chance of the play off we should be winning games like that especially having taken the lead so late in the game. Feels like two points dropped to me. 

Some good performances though amongst all that but Max, dear oh dear. 

Why are you mentioning the playoffs? There is zero chance just forget it.

• Like 7

The win was there, but too often the final pass through to a forward fell short. Just like the Forest game, it made interesting viewing for  neutral.

Some Coventry fans are not happy; https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/coventry-city-bristol-city-fc-match-thread-tuesday-30th-jan.156447/page-23

Take the point, but that wasn't great from us. At least we managed not to lose.

Shitty game and no one put in a performance. Take it and move on.

Need to be winning those sort of games if we're serious about playoffs. Bristol City are bang average.

What a bloody awful game of football.

• Flames 1
1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Nothing to do with us playing well and making them look below par, like we did with West Ham and Forest?

We were shite mate. Stop making excuses for it we raised our game for the cup games our leauge form is shocking 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1
1 minute ago, Ian M said:

Wish I'd managed to watch on a Cov stream. I'm fed up with hearing from Robins TV that we are basically prime Real Madrid (with our only handicap being competition winner Mehmeti) whilst Manning is the next Pep.

It’s a bit of a superstitious thing, I have much better record watching the home commentary when we play away. 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Point about right, can’t argue with that too much. Just a shame to have such a poor error cost us, especially going into such a tough run. 

A bit of quality, relentless hard work and endeavour cancelled out by a really poor error by someone who many fans would replace with better quality if we were allowed the funds to. Probably sums up where we are as a club at the minute.  

Should have won imo. Both of their goals were far too easy . 

Just now, Jerseybean said:

I really enjoyed watching that. Thought our performance was very good, despite giving away two soft goals.

Considering Coventry’s form and them being at home, that is a very good point in my opinion.

When we analyse the match, we can learn much about taking a quick throw in. We allowed them to do just that and 10 seconds later they equalised!  I know I bang on about it lots of times but please, please, please, can we get better at taking throw ins, as illustrated this evening, they are a critical part of the game.

Anyway, let’s finish on a positive… a good overall performance and an excellent point, well play Bristol City and the traveling fans.

All about opinions! Can't say I enjoyed it at all! Hiding behind the sofa after they equalised and then had that cross that flashed across the box!

We worked hard, had a good game plan, forced them into a lot of errors...but I thought we were so sloppy with the ball. 5 yard passes not finding their man, poor quality into the box (we always have difficulty breaking teams down, but tonight it seemed that we didn't look after the ball as well)

Still, a year or two ago you could argue we would have lost the game. Gutted to not win after taking the lead, but if you'd have offered me a point before or even on 60 mins with how we were playing I'd have taken it. Draw away at a decent side when the passes aren't sticking is a good point.

Form is not good - and the next 3 are tough, so important to pick up a point. COYR

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

I thought we looked knackered. Going to be a tough set of games coming up.

Max had a bad night but all the fans slagging him off have very short memories.

Re Max.  No we are not.  Many of us have felt from the beginning he was far too error prone.  Worse than Gibson imo on that score.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I think it's interesting that the posters who are most annoyed at that are the ones who were expecting nothing from the game beforehand.

Err, we’ve just seen the first mistake by a Championship keeper this season (maybe this decade?), posters have every right to be livid. Max out, entirely faultless (but cheap) keeper in. 

• Confused 1
  • Flames 1
1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

I really enjoyed watching that. Thought our performance was very good, despite giving away two soft goals.

Considering Coventry’s form and them being at home, that is a very good point in my opinion.

When we analyse the match, we can learn much about taking a quick throw in. We allowed them to do just that and 10 seconds later they equalised!  I know I bang on about it lots of times but please, please, please, can we get better at taking throw ins, as illustrated this evening, they are a critical part of the game.

Anyway, let’s finish on a positive… a good overall performance and an excellent point, well play Bristol City and the traveling fans.

About throw ins, short ones anyway. I think a good throw gets to the receiving player on the volley so the ball travels down to the players feet as its first movement or they can clear it on the volley if close to their own goal area.

A bad throw hits the grass first so its first movement is to naturally roll up the receiving player and is hard to control, giving a chance to the oppo player to nip in.

Surprising how many players struggle with that.

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

You can't play your best available players every game. It doesn't work like that. There has to be rotation. That's why you have squads and not just 11 players. Sorry to break it to you but you can't just refill their stamina like you would on Fifa or Football Manager.

I’m not asking for the same 11 every game.  I’m sure if you watched you’ll admit to me that we looked much more dangerous once both Bell and Mehmeti were replaced. 

So frustrating. What makes it worse is this was the season to make the play offs if we ever were going too.

A win tonight would have somehow seen us 3 points off them despite being in awful form. 

There are patterns of play building and at times we actually look quite neat. But overall it’s inconsistent, we are nailed on to finish around 14th sadly once again.

Demoralising it really is 😩

• Like 2
  • Confused 1