IGNORED

Max Bird Signed (& loaned back to Derby) - CONFIRMED

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

If he does go back there on loan, It screams of “we know we’re going nowhere this season”

Screams of a summer signing brought forward to me with the loan back enabling the deal.

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How about Piercy?

He's spoken as well..

17:31JAMES PIERCY

Whoa, that escalated quickly

City have agreed a deal for Max Bird which will see him loaned back to Derby for the rest of the season.

Just now, HappyClapper said:

Under 24 so I’m guessing there will be compensation due.

It would be a lot less versus a fee and apparently loan back for rest of the season 

Our midfield is going to be decent next season and I like what the club are doing by going out and buying young talented players that will not only increase in value but also bring a lot more energy, drive and ambition as well as talent 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

He's spoken as well..

17:31JAMES PIERCY

Whoa, that escalated quickly

City have agreed a deal for Max Bird which will see him loaned back to Derby for the rest of the season.

Serious question....

Ashton, gone.

Gould, gone.

Alexander, gone.

So who within the hierarchy is now in charge of negotiating transfers?

• Like 2

Just now, Galley is our king said:

Serious question....

Ashton, gone.

Gould, gone.

Alexander, gone.

So who within the hierarchy is now in charge of negotiating transfers?

Tinnion + a finance bod I assume 

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

That’s actually a really sensible deal.

We want the player and the risk is that if Derby go up he decides to stay there

Derby want promotion above all else so wouldn’t want to let the player go

We’d have to pay compensation in the summer.

So, what we do is offer Derby a bit more than the likely compensation figure in the summer to take out the possibility of the deal being off and allow him to stay. Removes our risk of the deal being off in the summer and lets them achieve their aim of keeping him for a promotion push. The alternate would have been a silly offer for him to come here now into a team that’s not going up or down.

I think it’s a decently constructed deal on the whole. Long term view taken and allows securing of a summer target.

• Like 16

A weird one on every level

We pay a fee for a player we could get for free in the summer and then loan him back so he doesn't even play for us in the period he's cost so much? WTF,  monumental waste of money and don't forget 5 months ago, I am sure we were one attacking midfielder away from a play off challenging team. Pearson denied the money.

From the players perspective Derby could get promoted and then he has to leave his boyhood team of 13 years?

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD

Only winners are Derby here 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 10

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

So, what we do is offer Derby a bit more than the likely compensation figure in the summer to take out the possibility of the deal being off and allow him to stay. Removes our risk of the deal being off in the summer and lets them achieve their aim of keeping him for a promotion push. The alternate would have been a silly offer for him to come here now into a team that’s not going up or down.

I think it’s a decently constructed deal on the whole. Long term view taken and allows securing of a summer target.

Bingo and it allows us not to be blown out of the water in the summer by a relegated prem team or something too. It is smart business imo. Obviously depending on the fee too but if it guarantees a signature from possibly out top summer target then it makes sense

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

We pay a fee for a player we could get for free in the summer and then loan him back so he doesn't even play for us in the period he's cost so much? WTF,  monumental waste of money and don't forget 5 months ago, I am sure we were one attacking midfielder away from a play off challenging team. Pearson denied the money.

From the players perspective Derby could get promoted and then he has to leave his boyhood team of 13 years?

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD

Nope.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD

We wouldn't have got him for free in the summer

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD

We wouldn’t be getting him for nothing in the summer. 

The amount of games he’s played already, Derby would have been due a hefty compensation sum.

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Don’t really see what’s in it for the player, must be a decent contract offer?

It’s good for us as it’s secured someone who we clearly rate, who may have more options / better contract offer / ambition to say after promotion in the summer 

• Like 1

Weird one but could be smart depending on the fee...

I've not listened to Mannings presa conference but the narrative on there suggested he was frustrated at a player not signing in time to play tomorrow. Implies another is due unless the terms of this deal were changed last minute to get it done 

I can actually understand it from our perspective (a number of key potentially high earning midfielders OOC in the summer), and from Derbys perspective too.

What’s in it for the player though? 

Some advantages I suppose (security) but you’d imagine he would have plenty of choice in the summer. 

Edited by Kibs

Just now, Kibs said:

I can actually understand it from our perspective, and from Derbys.

What’s in it for the player though? 

Some advantages I suppose (security) but you’d imagine he would have plenty of choice in the summer. 

Perhaps he rates us, our manager and our chances next season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Don’t really see what’s in it for the player, must be a decent contract offer?

It’s good for us as it’s secured someone who we clearly rate, who may have more options / better contract offer / ambition to say after promotion in the summer 

Even he stayed at Derby and got a pay rise that would match our wage offer, he would miss out on a signing on fee, which could be quite a good amount.

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD

But he would not be free in the summer. A tribunal would set a fee and we could lose out to another club. If he was a big summer target and we've got it done in Feb, smart business TBH.

I agree that the scenario that could play out, where he gets Derby promoted into the league of the club he is about to join, and he still then departs his childhood club, would be odd and almost unprecedented.

But then, maybe he wants to try something new and we are offering better contractual terms. 

If I was a Derby fan, or if a player did that to us - I would be very bemused.

However, for us, a great signing. 

Edited by Sandhurst Red
  • Like 1