IGNORED

Max Bird Signed (& loaned back to Derby) - CONFIRMED

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s actually a really sensible deal.

We want the player and the risk is that if Derby go up he decides to stay there

Derby want promotion above all else so wouldn’t want to let the player go

We’d have to pay compensation in the summer.

So, what we do is offer Derby a bit more than the likely compensation figure in the summer to take out the possibility of the deal being off and allow him to stay. Removes our risk of the deal being off in the summer and lets them achieve their aim of keeping him for a promotion push. The alternate would have been a silly offer for him to come here now into a team that’s not going up or down.

I think it’s a decently constructed deal on the whole. Long term view taken and allows securing of a summer target.

Suspect this might be covered in pages I’ve not yet read…

I’d add we might’ve also taken a bit off the fee we wanted to pay to make him ours now, to loan him back.

54 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

A weird one on every level

We pay a fee for a player we could get for free in the summer and then loan him back so he doesn't even play for us in the period he's cost so much? WTF,  monumental waste of money and don't forget 5 months ago, I am sure we were one attacking midfielder away from a play off challenging team. Pearson denied the money.

From the players perspective Derby could get promoted and then he has to leave his boyhood team of 13 years?

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD

Only winners are Derby here 

I refer the learned gentleman to the case of Chiedozie Ogbene in January 2023. 😉😉😉

Mr Ogbene, aged 25, of The New York Stadium was OOC on 30th June 2023, whereupon he would be entitled to register for another club with no fee.  Bristol City tried to sign him in January 2023 for a fee despite knowing they wouldn’t have to pay anything for him in July.  However Bristol City didn’t want to risk waiting til June 1st to commence contract negotiations with Mr Ogbene, because they thought other suitors might offer more attractive terms, higher division football than Bristol City could.  However, Rotherham United decided not to sell in January. Mr Ogbene joined Premier League Luton Town on 1st July 2023.

+++++

As others have pointed out, Bird isn’t free either.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Someone put a finger in their finger, put it on the internet and now repeated on here - so its a fact

I mean I’m not averse to criticising the hierarchy but signing a player BEFORE your competition gets in a few months down the line is a bit of a soft stick to beat the club with. Bearing in mind that two players we were after in the last fortnight signed for other Championship clubs. I’d say the hierarchy have been smart on this occasion.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Then wait to the summer and pay nothing then given that’s when we will have him anyway?

We may not be the only ones interested in the summer if he’s free, and risk getting outbid. Seems sensible business on reflection 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Suspect this might be covered in pages I’ve not yet read…

I’d add we might’ve also taken a bit off the fee we wanted to pay to make him ours now, to loan him back.

I refer the learned gentleman to the case of Chiedozie Ogbene in January 2023. 😉😉😉

Mr Ogbene, aged 25, of The New York Stadium was OOC on 30th June 2023, whereupon he would be entitled to register for another club with no fee.  Bristol City tried to sign him in January 2023 for a fee despite knowing they wouldn’t have to pay anything for him in July.  However Bristol City didn’t want to risk waiting til June 1st to commence contract negotiations with Mr Ogbene, because they thought other suitors might offer more attractive terms, higher division football than Bristol City could.  However, Rotherham United decided not to sell in January. Mr Ogbene joined Premier League Luton Town on 1st July 2023.

+++++

As others have pointed out, Bird isn’t free either.

I understand buying in January but I bet we weren't planning to loan Ogbene back to Rotherham ! That's the weird aspect 

48 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Then he has to refuse to play. What are they gonna do, terminate the loan? 🤣

As he will be our player we have some rights to determine his fitness / medical regime.

@Lrrr you come across anything at some of the clubs you’ve worked at in the past where you thought duty of care to one of your loan players wasn’t what it should be.

Guessing we could have terms to enforce the termination of the loan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I mean I’m not averse to criticising the hierarchy but signing a player BEFORE your competition gets in a few months down the line is a bit of a soft stick to beat the club with. Bearing in mind that two players we were after in the last fortnight signed for other Championship clubs. I’d say the hierarchy have been smart on this occasion.

Totally agree, as I said back on the thread, makes very good sense, if its a player we want, then get the business done. The 2.5m seems just a figure banded around for people to get up tight about, but would not be OTIB, if someone was not finding a negative to say

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I understand buying in January but I bet we weren't planning to loan Ogbene back to Rotherham ! That's the weird aspect 

That was the deal Derby offered us. Sign him and loan him back or he's not signing and you take your chances with other clubs in the summer. We wanted him enough to take what was offered. As others have said the transfer fee will be partially offset by a loan fee anyway.

If we never signed Max Bird today nobody would have said a word. If however we were after him in the Summer and got outbid in terms of wages by Watford and Middlesbrough people would be losing their shit with the hierarchy.

• Like 10
  • Flames 4

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That was the deal Derby offered us. Sign him and loan him back or he's not signing and you take your chances with other clubs in the summer. We wanted him enough to take what was offered. As others have said the transfer fee will be partially offset by a loan fee anyway.

If we never signed Max Bird today nobody would have said a word. If however we were after him in the Summer and got outbid in terms of wages by Watford and Middlesbrough people would be losing their shit with the hierarchy.

Yep, 3 parties coming to an amicable compromise.

Similar to Josh Stokes but more expensive.

+++++

FWIW my guess is that we will be paying around £1m for the “privilege”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

We as long as we bring someone else in as well today! Someone who actually stays at the club.

LM was quoted earlier he was disappointed we had not managed to finalise a deal by lunch time, so a player we are close to signing could have played tomorrow, and confident will be done tonight

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The fee intrigues me a bit.

Some Derby fans reckon they would've got £2m at tribunal, I guess we will find out what we paid in the fullness of time in the accounts in a couple of years time.

He'll be at Bournemouth by then.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some Derby fans reckon they would've got £2m at tribunal, I guess we will find out what we paid in the fullness of time in the accounts in a couple of years time.

Not likely.  Could go to Celtic or Rangers for £300k!  That’s the bitch with compo.  It’s why we did a deal with Burnley for Massengo.

TC is a different ball game, because imho, Celtic or Rangers won’t be able to compete with the kind of clubs interested in him, so the £300k isn’t relevant (prepares dish of rice paper hat for summer 2025).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plausable. He’s been with them since he was 10, amount of games played plus Derbys category a academy status.

• Thanks 1