IGNORED

Max Bird Signed (& loaned back to Derby) - CONFIRMED

1 minute ago, Galley is our king said:

Only we could spunk out 2.5m on a player who isn't even going to play for us until he would have been out of contact anyway.....

Absolutely ******* bonkers!!

You really think we'd pay 2.5m and let him back on loan ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Who on earth is Smith?

I read this as Bird was a player we wanted in the summer but would probably be outbid once he'sOOC, so we took a chance and went for it now.

If that's the case, we'll done City for taking an opportunity.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Oxford and now Derby - niggle games due to player trading.

Bit like I hope we batter Ballmuff next time we get the pleasure to visit their little crappy place. They still wind me up, as many in the media  suggest they got into the premier league via hard work and a romance of good investment.

The reality is that they went all in - Promotion or major FFP breaches and go backwards 10 years. They got lucky. Wish it had badly backfired on them, and the Russian funding was properly reviewed. 

Bournemouth fans do have a strange take. One I follow proclaims that they were merely levelling the playing field via their 2015 overspend then another said, I saw on my feed, or inferred that they accidentally overspent??

• Haha 1

Just now, Galley is our king said:

Only we could spunk out 2.5m on a player who isn't even going to play for us until he would have been out of contact anyway.....

Absolutely ******* bonkers!!

There’s not a chance in hell we are spunking out anything like that , OOC in 5 months, just more know nothing people spouting crap 

So we pay £2.5 million for a player we could get for free in the Summer? Take the risks of injury, loss of form etc.

Am I missing something? His agent wouldn’t take off £2.5 million from his players wage demands to compensate. 

Bonkers. 

So, basically, it seems we go with what we had at the start of the window. Ideal. Top 6 here we come, whereas I thought we were going to push the boat out on transfers to clinch one of the auto places. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not really no.

He is 23 so a good age yet with reasonable room for growth.

He has League One plus solid Championship experience.

I've been a critic of the current structure but this could be an impressive addition.. Bird and Knight back together another positive.

Derby a Category One Academy too, all helps.

The best way to look at it is, we’ve identified Max Bird to be Matty James’ successor, succession planning is good and something that should be praised.

Derby were happy to risk waiting for the summer when they would have received a decent compensation package. 
We wouldn’t have been able to get the deal without the loan back being included so rather than risk losing someone that we clearly rate to a rival in the summer we’ve done a deal that suits both us and Derby. 
Had MB gone elsewhere in the summer, we could have ended up having to fork out more trying to get someone else to replace MJ. 

Edited by Betty Swallocks
  • Like 8
  • Flames 1

Just now, RedRock said:

So we pay £2.5 million for a player we could get for free in the Summer? Take the risks of injury, loss of form etc.

Am I missing something? His agent wouldn’t take off £2.5 million from his players wage demands to compensate. 

Bonkers. 

So, basically, it seems we go with what we had at the start of the window. Ideal. Top 6 here we come, whereas I thought we were going to push the boat out on transfers to clinch one of the auto places. 

We wouldn’t have got him for free in the summer.

I’d be taking the £2.5m rumours with a huge pinch of salt.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What is it with signing someone and loaning them back ffs! If he can benefit us now then why isn’t he staying with us.

If we are doing this to ensure we get him before he is OOC in the summer, then he isn’t that bothered about signing for us to begin with surely if going elsewhere is a possibility???

It's more that I don't think Derby would have done the deal or would have demanded a notably bigger fee without..that's my take anyway.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Then wait to the summer and pay nothing then given that’s when we will have him anyway?

When we have competition and another club can come in and offer him £3k per week more?

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

We wouldn’t have got him for free in the summer.

I’d be taking the £2.5m rumours with a huge pinch of salt.

And so could about another 10 championship clubs city are obviously trying to steal a march on there rivals for him  aren't they it's clever planning especially with James King and Williams leaving in the summer 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Bonkers. 

Who has actually said we are paying £2.5m.

Just now, Super said:

Honestly the state of this thread. 

People literally making stuff up so they can be angry😂.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Then wait to the summer and pay nothing then given that’s when we will have him anyway?

Well not quite nothing, a tribunal and compensation plus maybe as a sought after *free agent it pushes wages beyond us a bit.

*-Not including tribunal fee.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Hence my point, he either wants to come here or he doesn’t. If he does he will be happy to wait until the summer!

If we only signed players who were here for the love of playing for Bristol City we would be in a bit of a state. Even if he does WANT to be here which his signature would suggest he does if we were to get gazumped by say Middlesbrough in July and they offered him £30k per week have a guess where he would WANT to be then?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1