IGNORED

Max Bird Signed (& loaned back to Derby) - CONFIRMED

30 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Hes signed a 3 year deal and won't even be playing for us for 6 months so it's effectively a 2 1/2 year deal you would have thought we would of tied him  down longer then 2 1/2 years 🤦🏻‍♂️

No, it’s 3 1/2 year deal and he’s scheduled to play for us for 3 of those. The announcement says until the summer of 2027, so all pretty normal stuff (no mention of options).

More general basis, excluding short term deals, when did you hear of contracts ending in January to make the assumption above???

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

Just now, The Coach said:

Wonder if Pearson is laughing or quite peed off.

Had money to spend after alll….

Knowing Nige like we do laughing I would think as he knew exactly what was going on and what would happen; as did we to be fair. 

It’s all a bit jarring but Max Bird is a good player so no denying that I think.

The deal is another interesting one. Is loaning back to the clubs our new strategy of getting deals done? Not sure where all this leaves the academy now, maybe it’s complimentary. The going back on loan approach is clearly a risk but there is less chance of him getting injured with them than us!

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, One Team said:

Knowing Nige like we do laughing I would think as he knew exactly what was going on and what would happen; as did we to be fair. 

It’s all a bit jarring but Max Bird is a good player so no denying that I think.

The deal is another interesting one. Is loaning back to the clubs our new strategy of getting deals done? Not sure where all this leaves the academy now, maybe it’s complimentary. The going back on loan approach is clearly a risk but there is less chance of him getting injured with them than us!

I think we wanted this player in the summer and this was how to get him. Derby were not going to let him go in Jan, and we still have James on the books until the end of the season. So this was the smartest way of doing it. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

So he signs for us presumably on higher wages. He gets loaned back, so who is paying the additional wages, us or Derby. Or did Derby pay us a loan fee? 😕

Assumptions umm.

58 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

No, it’s 3 1/2 year deal and he’s scheduled to play for us for 3 of those. The announcement says until the summer of 2027, so all pretty normal stuff (no mention of options).

More general basis, excluding short term deals, when did you hear of contracts ending in January to make the assumption above???

Have you factored in the inevitable mystery injury that will see him sidelined for his first year...?

29 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

This made me laugh, insert Derby view........ now.

"A nothing player gone to a nothing club".

Cheers 👍🏻 🍻 

I've never really seen Derby as a something club. Just FFP cheats always living beyond their means and lowest point scorers in the Prem, that's about all they are known for in modern history

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

What's with the sudden weird influx of people pretending to be ITK?

I'm lucky enough to get something once every couple of years from a neighbour of friend of a friend, but there are people on this forum with genuine connections to City and have regularly proved they've got an inside track on some things. Why does every tosser on Twitter feel the need to pretend to be up to date with City news? It's maladaptive and strange. 

Bring back Shags imo. 

Anyone else googling maladaptive this morning?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Notwithstanding options to buy on the two loanees the club aren’t revealing, this looks the most sensible bit of business this January.

It just makes complete sense, not least because he’s with us from day one of pre-season.

The change in style was always going to require a ripping up of the midfield.

• Like 1

This loan back thing makes sense from the point of view of the wage budget being maxed out, and next year with some departures that will create the space for him. A couple of cheap young signings which dont really affect the budget, weimann leaving to create space for twine, and we are more or less in the same salary position we were on 1st jan. I dont think paying a transfer fee was ever really the problem, and the bhig cup games can only have helped. Would have liked to see a big striker in, but apparently this wasnt a priority!

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I would hope the club see some value in keeping some of the older guard around to add a little bit if experience and to help guide the talented younger players.

I would like Joe Williams to stay, but it doesn’t look likely. 

2 hours ago, The Coach said:

Hardly gone to town have we? 

2 loans and 1 brought forward from the summer where I assume Derby will continue to pay wages. We’ve taken the option on TGH which would also have happened in the summer anyway. 

Weimann has gone out on loan to offset some of the wages.

I am actually pleasantly surprised by our recruitment this January. 

Given that we are lower in the league than when Manning arrived, I half expected JL/BT to do anything and everything to give LM the best chance of finishing as high as possible, just to save face!!!

But we appear to have remained sensible and stuck to a plan - e.g, Bird coming in due to so many CMs being out of contract next season.

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, One Team said:

I think this indicates we’re getting smarter.  If we can’t compete financially with a number of our rivals in the summer window, we’re jumping in earlier to beat the rush and the loan back doesn’t disrupt the selling club’s end of season.  They’re then more likely to sell and we get our player, with little or no competition.

Seems like an efficient and cost-effective way of doing business, as long as we don’t need the player in immediately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Coach said:

In fairness I think they’ll use the “they’re summer targets brought forward”, I.e some of summers money was used now. What I don’t quite understand is how that works in the parameters of “we have a strict budget to follow” - especially when Mehmeti and Cornick were also “summer signings brought forward”. 

A way of them saying actually the budget is a lot more fluid than they say, just can’t really explain how/why?

IIRC we were after Bird in the summer, then he got badly injured. So my two pence is he would’ve come in under Pearson had that not happened, but we’ve maybe been slightly unlucky in that derbys resolve to keep him given how well they’re doing in the league has gone against us. So maybe he was in the budget after all…?

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

So he signs for us presumably on higher wages. He gets loaned back, so who is paying the additional wages, us or Derby. Or did Derby pay us a loan fee? 😕

The club that deals only in “undisclosed fees” is never, ever, going to tell you that!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

I would like Joe Williams to stay, but it doesn’t look likely. 

I think he will stay. Not sure we can afford to lose him, James and King. Not that we'll miss King (on the pitch). Assuming Twine doesn't sign in the summer (and no way will we stump up £5m), leaves us very light in midfield. Williams has put in some excellent performances this season. He just needs to stay fit. Another injury between now and the summer however and the club will probably let him go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Pretty sure all contracts of a season or more have to end on 30th June.  As you say it’s only short-term deals that don’t.  Think I read it in Ben Smith’s autobiography.

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Notwithstanding options to buy on the two loanees the club aren’t revealing, this looks the most sensible bit of business this January.

It just makes complete sense, not least because he’s with us from day one of pre-season.

The change in style was always going to require a ripping up of the midfield.

I hope the loan-back comes with a good compromise on the fee.  I wonder if it might even be performance related, e.g. we pay less if they get promoted?

40 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I think this indicates we’re getting smarter.  If we can’t compete financially with a number of our rivals in the summer window, we’re jumping in earlier to beat the rush and the loan back doesn’t disrupt the selling club’s end of season.  They’re then more likely to sell and we get our player, with little or no competition.

Seems like an efficient and cost-effective way of doing business, as long as we don’t need the player in immediately.

My recruitment buzzword.  Spot on BR.

40 minutes ago, petehinton said:

In fairness I think they’ll use the “they’re summer targets brought forward”, I.e some of summers money was used now. What I don’t quite understand is how that works in the parameters of “we have a strict budget to follow” - especially when Mehmeti and Cornick were also “summer signings brought forward”. 

A way of them saying actually the budget is a lot more fluid than they say, just can’t really explain how/why?

IIRC we were after Bird in the summer, then he got badly injured. So my two pence is he would’ve come in under Pearson had that not happened, but we’ve maybe been slightly unlucky in that derbys resolve to keep him given how well they’re doing in the league has gone against us. So maybe he was in the budget after all…?

The proof will be what we do in the summer.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

I think he will stay. Not sure we can afford to lose him, James and King. Not that we'll miss King (on the pitch). Assuming Twine doesn't sign in the summer (and no way will we stump up £5m), leaves us very light in midfield. Williams has put in some excellent performances this season. He just needs to stay fit. Another injury between now and the summer however and the club will probably let him go. 

My view as well. I think there is a chance that Williams stays. Bird feels like Matty James’ replacement though. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

Hes signed a 3 year deal and won't even be playing for us for 6 months so it's effectively a 2 1/2 year deal you would have thought we would of tied him  down longer then 2 1/2 years 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jesus

Edited by James54De
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty sure all contracts of a season or more have to end on 30th June.  As you say it’s only short-term deals that don’t.  Think I read it in Ben Smith’s autobiography.

I hope the loan-back comes with a good compromise on the fee.  I wonder if it might even be performance related, e.g. we pay less if they get promoted?

My recruitment buzzword.  Spot on BR.

The proof will be what we do in the summer.

What do you think we’ll need in the summer? Our work this month has certainly taken some pressure off for the summer.

Obviously, a lot is dependent on Tommy. Barring any other losses, three or four incoming should sort us.

With Nahki, Tommy and Cornick as our current CF options, could we see a full change up front? Sounds expensive. 

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

Well I get what you’re saying but were we bidding against anybody else except ourselves? Can’t imagine that any team who were genuinely interested in the player and  could outbid us with wages in the summer weren’t as smart as us in January and therefore have missed out? You’d think that the players agent would be abreast of any potential interest now and what would be likely interest in the summer. 

Anyway hopefully it’s a good addition.