IGNORED

Section 82 ?

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Tom Thumb didn't have words, you probably remember it as the dooby dooby doo song with the extended woooooaaaaaaaaahhhhh intro.

My favourite football song ever, though completely nonsensical.

Was it unique to us or a more general thing around the grounds?

Ah that one! It's a song that's lost on me, think it started up when I lived in another city and didn't get to many games.

21 hours ago, mattjb said:

I can’t see them printing ‘you’re not singing over there , you c***s in that young reds mag! 
To be honest , even though I don’t mind a bit of swearing myself being in the building trade, do people really need to sing that in a stadium with lots of young kids present? If you’ve got young kids with you I can assure you it’s an uncomfortable experience . The usual effing and jeffing I think most people accept that if you bring kids into a stadium you have to live with it but the ‘C’ word is a bit extreme. 
just my own personal opinion and I don’t expect things to change . It could well be putting off people bringing young un’s and future reds lost.

Agreed, no need. And no I wouldn’t suggest that one in there! But there’s plenty with no swearing in that could help connect young fans to old. I bet loads of kids would love to just shout their lungs out on a Saturday! Although I do appreciate a good you’re **** ahhhhh to the keeper 😆

On 03/02/2024 at 15:30, Riaz said:

Me and my mates start songs when the group (s82) with the drum, starts sings that shit “Bristol City oley” song or other shit songs. We aren’t teenagers.

What sort of songs/chants would you like to hear? 

I know a lot of the boys in S82, they get far too much stick for trying to improve the atmosphere I think. Some of the displays they’ve done have been excellent. (Ignore the attempts at surfing a flag across the South Stand though, our fans really can’t grasp how to do that for some reason)

Perhaps the megaphone is a bit too much, but remember the bloke in the EE 15 years ago that used to sing threshing machine pissed right up through one, people didn’t seem to mind that.

I think they’d be open to giving a game ago using the standard old ones & see how it goes, but I do believe it’s been tried before & still had the same issues regarding more people joining in. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

What sort of songs/chants would you like to hear? 

I know a lot of the boys in S82, they get far too much stick for trying to improve the atmosphere I think. Some of the displays they’ve done have been excellent. (Ignore the attempts at surfing a flag across the South Stand though, our fans really can’t grasp how to do that for some reason)

Perhaps the megaphone is a bit too much, but remember the bloke in the EE 15 years ago that used to sing threshing machine pissed right up through one, people didn’t seem to mind that.

I think they’d be open to giving a game ago using the standard old ones & see how it goes, but I do believe it’s been tried before & still had the same issues regarding more people joining in. 

I think there displays are excellent - definitely dont fault their effort at all.

But songs should be loud and intimidating. NOT dreary. And singing tilburg songs that no one knows doesnt help.

Getting old songs going is usually a good start. But if its new. Keep it simple, so people can join in.

• Like 4

EIEIEIO…

Keep the red flag flying…

Drink up thy zider…

Brrrristol. 

Never hear any of these nowadays. But let’s be honest, we generally have eff all to get excited about. If we ever had a really good season chasing the autos I’m pretty sure the atmosphere would be a lot better.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

EIEIEIO…

Keep the red flag flying…

Drink up thy zider…

Brrrristol. 

Never hear any of these nowadays. But let’s be honest, we generally have eff all to get excited about. If we ever had a really good season chasing the autos I’m pretty sure the atmosphere would be a lot better.

Even a straight forward, Come on you reds when we kick off or get a corner would help lift the whole ground!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Im afraid that type of so called “toxic masculinity” has been forced out the game over the years. 

Play the game Lewis, can't you graffiti some songs around BS3 en route to the ground to give a bit of visual encouragement to our reticent singers?

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, red84 said:

Even a straight forward, Come on you reds when we kick off or get a corner would help lift the whole ground!

Tbh Red Army is chanted from early and has been at times.

Then it can rather wax and wane depending on how the game is going but absolutely I've heard from the off before.

Then you have the issue of excessively loud and possibly unsuitable music and Downsy drowning out efforts to build a bit of atmosphere pre-game.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, red84 said:

The Leeds match was a new low for me in terms of atmosphere.  1 down, an injury time corner, and not even a 'come on your reds'.  Maybe everyone just new it would be a poor delivery!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

I think there displays are excellent - definitely dont fault their effort at all.

But songs should be loud and intimidating. NOT dreary. And singing tilburg songs that no one knows doesnt help.

Getting old songs going is usually a good start. But if its new. Keep it simple, so people can join in.

Riaz,

Genuine question, what songs are loud and intimidating? 

8 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

“If you are a Rovers fan surrender or you’ll die”

”We are the East End we are the East End we are the East End of Ashton Gate”

This goes back to, when is the last time ashton gate on mass sang that?

Both of those songs are sung every game give or take.  

If people don’t want to sing, then they won’t regardless of the songs being sung. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue

3 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

“If you are a Rovers fan surrender or you’ll die”

”We are the East End we are the East End we are the East End of Ashton Gate”

‘You’re going in the river’

😙

One for the old uns and a few would have a breakdown if that was ever sung , probably make the nationals 🙄

Edited by Sheltons Army

6 hours ago, Riaz said:

More songs of past players might help the lads sing them in S21 Good old jacki song and super bobby Taylor and also the old twerton song we fly over twerton tomorrow and s**t on the b******* below 😂 Ah and the yellow submarine 🙂

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Street red said:

More songs of past players might help the lads sing them in S21 Good old jacki song and super bobby Taylor and also the old twerton song we fly over twerton tomorrow and s**t on the b******* below 😂 Ah and the yellow submarine 🙂

As I was walking down Stapleton Road !

• Like 2

The club could help more by the music they play prior to kick off, need to get a song played over the speaker system that everyone can sing to and then play another song just before kick off to get everyone going! 

I would also love to see the huddle over by section 82 showing that we are all in it together! 

• Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Tom Thumb didn't have words, you probably remember it as the dooby dooby doo song with the extended woooooaaaaaaaaahhhhh intro.

My favourite football song ever, though completely nonsensical.

Was it unique to us or a more general thing around the grounds?

if you went to Bournemouth in 85 you will remember it as the seat smashing song, it was the CSF who started it. 

Even in s25, struggle to hear most of the old school chants, even if the actual s82 boys get em going, the 15 year olds in the corner dont know the words. All they know is ‘ I cant read and I cant write’ (i dont need to go on)

Rarely hear,

Shit on the bastards below,

Bristol *******,

(hasnt been sung in so long I can barely remember the words so if anyone can help, appreciated)

We are the east end AG,

1,2,3,4,5 if you want to stay alive,

My old man,

The east end boys are in town,

Some old bangers in there.

We need something anthemic,  if that's a word. A tune that is instantly recognisable and classic.

I was watching the Rangers v Aberdeen game tonight. The song they were singing I didn't recognise but itsnow stuck in my head.
If we never make it to the Premier League, I honestly wouldn't care that much. All i want is decent football, some wins and a bloody loud atmosphere

On 05/02/2024 at 04:03, Bristol Oil Services said:

Atmosphere is not really about people singing specific songs, it's more to do with them just making a bloody racket in response to lively events on the pitch, encouraging the team forward, encouraging the team to attack, putting pressure on the officials, hounding an opponent. Just shouting come on or even something more guttural and primal. Just making some noise. Rrrrraaaaggghhh!!

Unfortunately, the limp style of modern football mostly centred around the halfway line going sideways and back between central defenders and wing/full backs and the keeper sends many to their phones, their daydreams or the concourse. 

What we need to get an atmosphere at AG is not more or different or old songs, what we need is action in the final third and a busy visiting goalkeeper and a visibly up for it and energised team putting the opposition on the back foot for sustained periods, their woodwork rattling as the ball pings about their penalty area.

But we don't see anything of the sort at AG for anywhere near long enough in any game, and so for long long periods of time we sit and stare as we pass it about just inside our half across the halfway line (with a bloke three rows behind you bellowing into the silence: "Get it forward!") or we watch the opposition with their £83m squad dominating the ball and bearing down on our back five and Max time and again. 

There's just not enough of the sort of football at the right end of the pitch that might wake us from our West Country slumber and get us out of our seats to make the sort of atmosphere that Leeds fans will make at Elland Road (like when they came back from 2 down to draw 2:2 with us a few years ago; when do we ever bombard the opposition like that at AG? Not even the time we came back from 2 down to Leeds to draw 2:2 at home but then we had "atmosphere" that night, as Leeds "f*cked it up") Because Leeds have £83m of players, and they have the ball; we have £8.3m of players, and we keep giving them the ball.

It's partly the modern style of overly coached "idealogical" halfway-line-and-back-to-the-keeper (then hoof!) football, partly having poorer players than the opposition and so not having the ball and so unable to pin them in and put them under pressure, and three parts Bristolian/West Country indifference. Plus smart phones. 

And the lack of belief that there's really anything going on here at the moment, the sense of going around in circles, and the sense of aimless drift.

Wait... you posted something serious? Are you feeling OK?

Only kidding. Good post mate.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

‘You’re going in the river’

😙

One for the old uns and a few would have a breakdown if that was ever sung , probably make the nationals 🙄

On that note, I am sure but memory could be playing tricks, but sure I heard it or similar perhaps not widespread but periodically in the Cotts Swindon game..2015 over Easter.

Possibly too v Newcastle in 2016 periodically but moreso the first...not saying the whole ground or anything like that or persistently.

Did have the full Swindon game saved somewhere. Was on YouTube or Dailymotion iirc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

35 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

We need something anthemic,  if that's a word. A tune that is instantly recognisable and classic.

I was watching the Rangers v Aberdeen game tonight. The song they were singing I didn't recognise but itsnow stuck in my head.
If we never make it to the Premier League, I honestly wouldn't care that much. All i want is decent football, some wins and a bloody loud atmosphere

Been saying for ages that we need a proper anthem that can be played and then faded out as the players kick off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm a bit confused by what you mean here @Redshortscould you expand a bit please? 

Instead of doing huddle in the centre of pitch just before kick off, they have it by corner flag where section 82 is. I've seen other teams, get closer to sections in ground to show they are all together. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

Even in s25, struggle to hear most of the old school chants, even if the actual s82 boys get em going, the 15 year olds in the corner dont know the words. All they know is ‘ I cant read and I cant write’ (i dont need to go on)

Rarely hear,

Shit on the bastards below,

Bristol *******,

(hasnt been sung in so long I can barely remember the words so if anyone can help, appreciated)

We are the east end AG,

1,2,3,4,5 if you want to stay alive,

My old man,

The east end boys are in town,

Some old bangers in there.

I’ve tried to start these ‘older’ songs so many times in S26 but no one knows them so they don’t pick up. In the end I just give up trying 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red94 said:

I’ve tried to start these ‘older’ songs so many times in S26 but no one knows them so they don’t pick up. In the end I just give up trying 🤷‍♂️

We seem to have generations of fans not knowing the other's songs and then accordingly, only the very few getting mass-involvement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redshorts said:

Instead of doing huddle in the centre of pitch just before kick off, they have it by corner flag where section 82 is. I've seen other teams, get closer to sections in ground to show they are all together. 

"Show they're all together" by moving away from other fans?

Why not rename the club Section 82 FC while we're at it?

• Like 2
  • Flames 2