IGNORED

Too Much Negativity

gibbo7

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Fair play, claiming we’re moving the ball quicker has given me a good laugh. What a truly preposterous statement. We used to play fast counter attack, moving the ball forward quickly and having runners like Sykes and Bell breaking lines, we now attempt to roll the ball along the back line.

As for going 2/3 homes games in a row without a shot on target, I’d be very interested in which games these were? As it just didn’t happen did it.

Even attempting to compare the football played under Pearson, in any way, with Pulis is just absolute nonsense.

I said some of the football not all.

Some of the football especially with WSM was brilliant and you’re right with Sykes.

But we did have games this season against WBA and Birmingham when I wouldn’t describe it as edge of the seat stuff

Sadly I didn’t make a note of the games but it’s definitely what I recall. We did end up with a minus GD for last season I think 

All I’m saying is that I can see small signs of progress and what the plan is and im trying to be optimistic with it

However, as I said, I wanted Pearson to stay until least until the end of the season and I think if he’d been given the transfer room as Manning has then who knows.

Being optimistic just makes it easier to cheer when we score and celebrate when we win I guess 

It’s all about opinions, whose right and whose wrong is for the future to decide. 

I personally believe that next season we’ll make the play offs but hey I could be wrong

12 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Some of the football especially with WSM was brilliant and you’re right with Sykes.

But we did have games this season against WBA and Birmingham when I wouldn’t describe it as edge of the seat stuff

Sadly I didn’t make a note of the games but it’s definitely what I recall. We did end up with a minus GD for last season I think 

All I’m saying is that I can see small signs of progress and what the plan is and im trying to be optimistic with it

However, as I said, I wanted Pearson to stay until least until the end of the season and I think if he’d been given the transfer room as Manning has then who knows.

Being optimistic just makes it easier to cheer when we score and celebrate when we win I guess 

It’s all about opinions, whose right and whose wrong is for the future to decide. 

I personally believe that next season we’ll make the play offs but hey I could be wrong

Your optimism really does have no boundaries. Love it.

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Your optimism really does have no boundaries. Love it.

Haha thanks, I try 

Its not about saying everything is amazing all the time, I left the Millwall game after 85 minutes as it was so awful I couldn’t watch anymore 

So im just saying I can see some green shoots and am willing to go with it and see what happens

31 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

The playoffs in League One?

Could do..

Joking we won't get relegated but that isn't the WBA game I remember,  first half we battered them we had a strong energy to our play.. we could easily have been 2 up by HT.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I get your point. And you’re right, in the context of our history - nine seasons in the Championship is not to be scoffed at.

But there’s a wider context as well. The context that has us as the biggest club in the South West, with no Premier League club within 100 miles. A club in the 10th(ish) biggest city in the country. A club with a top class stadium and training facilities. A club capable of taking 45,000 fans to London for a game against Walsall. A club that has watched Bournemouth, Swansea, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Blackpool, Luton, Cardiff, Burnley, Wigan, Brentford, Stoke and Reading all surpass our own achievements in the modern era by playing in the Premier League.

Looking at our own history as a barometer for our success does nothing but highlight just how pathetically little we have achieved as a club for generations. I don’t want to be told to be grateful for 9 straight seasons in the second tier.

We were writing very similar posts at the exact same time.

No one is telling you to be grateful. I was merely trying to give some context: one poster said we were in the doldrums. I remember drawing 0-0 with Chester in front of 3,000 at home in the 80s. That was the doldrums. 
And I wonder what would have happened if Dean Windass’ shot had flown over the bar.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Out come the Bristol City are little brigade yet again

I'm not having any of it

Being the biggest historical underachievers in the country is no reason at all to continue to be the biggest underachievers.

We have a modern stadium, a decent upper Champ level training ground, fantastic crowds given our underachievement that are usually top third in this division, play in a great and rich city.

There is NO reason whatsoever to see lower midtable Champ as the best it can get for us. We should never be in danger of relegation from this league. 

Anything other than play off pushes is again, underachievement.

You wouldn't see this nonsense of sub par expectations at other clubs with far less fans.

Well said.

Historically, we've massively underachieved, and some fans seem to think that we should therefore be happy with what we're doing at the moment.

We are the biggest club in approx the 6th biggest city in England. We can comfortably average 20k+ attendances even when finishing midtable year after year. We generate good revenues compared to many other clubs who regularly play at this level. We are not a club who should see avoiding relegation from the Championship as anything more than an absolute minimum expectation.

It amazes me that some of our fans think otherwise. I don't think there's another club in England who have such a large chunk of the fanbase readily talking down the potential of the club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

No one is telling you to be grateful. I was merely trying to give some context: one poster said we were in the doldrums. I remember drawing 0-0 with Chester in front of 3,000 at home in the 80s. That was the doldrums. 
And I wonder what would have happened if Dean Windass’ shot had flown over the bar.

It would've gone to penalties .......

37 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Well said.

Historically, we've massively underachieved, and some fans seem to think that we should therefore be happy with what we're doing at the moment.

We are the biggest club in approx the 6th biggest city in England. We can comfortably average 20k+ attendances even when finishing midtable year after year. We generate good revenues compared to many other clubs who regularly play at this level. We are not a club who should see avoiding relegation from the Championship as anything more than an absolute minimum expectation.

It amazes me that some of our fans think otherwise. I don't think there's another club in England who have such a large chunk of the fanbase readily talking down the potential of the club.

I think the top 10 budget claim is true.

Whether we actually have a top 10 expenditure is a very different issue.

I've looked through the League this year and believe only the Parachute clubs and Sunderland feel nailed on to have a higher revenue. Maybe one or two that are variable either way of course.

Whether we're 7th or a bit below can be a matter of speculation but I do think we comfortably have a top 10 revenue in the division.

Parachute Payments- Solidarity Payments gap being eliminated would reduce it further but otoh sides such as Leeds, Leicester and Southampton 3 unusually strong clubs relegated at once would exceed our income anyway.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2024 at 09:20, Better Red said:

Beat Forest Wednesday.

Sykes & Twine comes back.

The new winger looks a world beater.

We win 2 on the bounce

Can’t wait for everyone to then come back on here and say we are negative , crap football etc..

I have been watching for 45 years and we are in the ‘good years’.

Give Liam a chance it feels like we are building something.

The growing attendance and away followings say it can’t all be bad.

If we maybe 3 quality players to the squad in the summer which is already competitive then we have a chance of a top 6

Forest,  Middlesbrough then Southampton,  I sadly think its more likely we will lose all 3, not win 2 on the bounce!

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The playoffs in League One?

Could do..

Joking we won't get relegated but that isn't the WBA game I remember,  first half we battered them we had a strong energy to our play.. we could easily have been 2 up by HT.

Perhaps my green shoots thinking has clouded my judgment! 

2 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Perhaps my green shoots thinking has clouded my judgment! 

All about opinions really..maybe battered West Brom a bit strong but we were high octane. 

Sykes hit the woodwork and these stats are quite good albeit never the whole story. In the end they were better 2nd half and was quite an even game vs a good side.

Cornick had a big chance at the end too of course.. either should've buried it or a great save by Palmer.

Screenshot_20240204-152015_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6dbc352b6083ce0de24113c601c5922d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

All about opinions really..maybe battered West Brom a bit strong but we were high octane. 

Sykes hit the woodwork and these stats are quite good albeit never the whole story. In the end they were better 2nd half and was quite an even game vs a good side.

Cornick had a big chance at the end too of course.. either should've buried it or a great save by Palmer.

Screenshot_20240204-152015_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6dbc352b6083ce0de24113c601c5922d.jpg

Maybe I’ve got my games mixed up here, happily admit if wrong. 

As I’ve said, I wanted Pearson to stay and I wanted him to be backed and it would definitely be interesting who pushed for Cornick and Memehti as neither fitted the Pearson style with fast wider players

But we are where we are and the signings of Stokes, Bird, Murphy, new lad on the left whose name escapes with a fixed option to buy and possibly Twine just makes me feel more optimistic than negative about the future and next season

But I could be miles out on that 

5 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Maybe I’ve got my games mixed up here, happily admit if wrong. 

As I’ve said, I wanted Pearson to stay and I wanted him to be backed and it would definitely be interesting who pushed for Cornick and Memehti as neither fitted the Pearson style with fast wider players

But we are where we are and the signings of Stokes, Bird, Murphy, new lad on the left whose name escapes with a fixed option to buy and possibly Twine just makes me feel more optimistic than negative about the future and next season

But I could be miles out on that 

I do agree on the Birmingham game tbh that was rather flat although had Wells scored that major chance just after Dickie got his second yellow you never know. That was gilt-edged.

I agree with some of this post, Murphy and Stokes do feel intriguing, Bird and Twine and Dire- unfortunately named- feel interesting, Murphy and especially Stokes I feel could be longer term.

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

When we were at the bottom of the 4th division I was probably 15. I'd seen about 12-15 games over 2 seasons in the first division, then almost all of the home games since, including all homes in the 4th division. After three consecutive relegations, and a catastrophic near collapse of the club, I was probably more optimistic about the future of the club then than I am 40 odd years later! Possibly because I thought it could only get better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In what way do you envisage that to be the case?

Sorry no I mean revenue, bad choice of words by me.

Budget no midtable to lower midtable probably, top 10..yeah only Parachute clubs and Sunderland likely IMO to be markedly ahead in that respect.

Even if one or two others a bit ahead we would be no lower than 10th for revenue I believe.

Theoretically, past losses overhanging permitting we could have a top 10 football wage and amortisation budget probably. We more than likely don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I can see the logic in this. I was just talking to my wife today how the experience my kids get of watching the 6th best league in the world in a fantastic stadium pisses in a lot of ways on my experience of competing with Mansfield and Gillingham in the old third division while stood on a piss soaked east end.

But.

But.

Is this it? Is this what I stood at fellows park with West Midlands police blocking my view for? Is this what I drove through multiple accidents and arrived when 3-0 down at Gigg Lane for? Is this what I walked through the shitty streets of Burslem for?

Football, as life, is about progress. We’re all built that way - to do better. This is what I went through all those things for. But now I’m there - I want more. So should the club.

I don’t want piss in my pockets. But I do want ambition.

You know , football is supposed to be fun.

This week, on the fbc podcast (by @Curr Avon)at the start Ian used the phrase a game too far. I felt it was a mis-use of the phrase.

Why: well 1st Jan 2018, spanked 5-0 by villa, the team were clapped off. Why? Credit in the bank. Entertainment and fun to that point. The team had earnt the right to be off the pace. Yes that season fell away, but in that moment they had earnt a game too far.

And that's football. Through many ways your teams earn money in the bank;

Win football matches, with the feeling deserved to more often than not

Be entertaining, but not reckless

Be fun to watch, but put an utter shift in defending.

Play well and intend to entertain (at city this matters as atmosphere starts mostly on the pitch)

Put in an absolute effort performance when it's not clicking (fans see this more than anything, this credit isn't endless but it has value)

Have the board, Management and fans all on one side. With a goal, a buy in........and this is the beginning of the problem; hiding in plain site. All the stats about the academy, half the goals etc etc. and then it dawned on people. The absolute best of the crop get sold off. That money was not reinvested x2 (we know why but doesn't change the fact it wasn't) and back to square 1 again. 4 to 9 points off the playoffs.

And then there's the messaging. The window was for tomorrow; this season is now implied as a write off. That's not what i got bctv for in the summer (yeah i know it's a bargain compared to season ticket. The result? Well if they've written off the season.. should i really invest my time in the same way? 

When i ask my students what do you like about school, the main response... I get to see my mates.T hat's been football for a while now. To get to see my mates

Where's the sense of adventure? where's the sense of the unknown? Where's the fun? Where's the excitement?

To me that's the problem; the words from the club just don't match what a decent amount of people see or feel.

Most football fans will buy into a reset, a few years building, but to then knock it down to go another way without payoff, that's not how it works.. it feels hard to accept.

And that's the point right now. The actual fun is fleeting and in the cup. But the league? Actually excited for league games... It's been a while. It's more relief when a game is actually good.

The games aren't entertaining. Too many halves with 0 or 1 shot on target. Too much chess football. Too many halves where I've been impressed in some way by the opposition - preston HT changes, Sunderland, ipswich- this really annoys me. And then you hear words like control, and removing emotion from decisions. Non of it screams fun, non of it feels a reason to create a fire in the belly of a dragon atmosphere. It actual feels like the goal is to do the opposite of fun. A mathematical footbalk equation to be solved.

And as you said! is that really it? Was this really the dream. 1998-2005 city being here just felt impossible, now we are established it's simply not enough to rinse and repeat seasons. It's a bit of a joke to be here, from September, and the feeling we are well well well short squad wise in what the current manager actually wants. From protecting weaknesses to at times exposing them.  Is that why you go to a game every week, to prepare for a season that never actually comes, because the best players have Already moved on?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

16 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Most football fans will buy into a reset, a few years building, but to then knock it down to go another way without payoff, that's not how it works.. it feels hard to accept.

Great posting recently btw.

+++++

No 2nd reset was required.  Let the injured players return.  Let the bloke who played a huge part in the reset start grooming his successor, or finding the next one.  Be ready to implement when appropriate.

Who knows, Nige might have found out he needed to step-back due to illness anyway.

This didn’t need pressing the panic button.

(not forgetting, Curtis, Jason and Dave + Andy and Matty in the summer)

• Like 8

All negativity is the boards doing, plain and simple.

If you look back at the 3-2 home defeat by Stoke, the 2-0 loss at Cardiff, there was never this much negativity even at those moments. It was accepted that those results would happen but we were building.

The sacking of NP and the comments that followed changed the mindset completely. We no longer accept performances like Friday night as the board made it clear we are more than capable of competing with what was an outstanding Leeds side.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Great posting recently btw.

+++++

No 2nd reset was required.  Let the injured players return.  Let the bloke who played a huge part in the reset start grooming his successor, or finding the next one.  Be ready to implement when appropriate.

Who knows, Nige might have found out he needed to step-back due to illness anyway.

This didn’t need pressing the panic button.

(not forgetting, Curtis, Jason and Dave + Andy and Matty in the summer)

I dont think the management clearout was football related.

I think the new structure was relayed to Pearson who declined to report to Tinnion.

Dont blame him.

• Like 7

On 03/02/2024 at 09:00, redkev said:

Not defending last nights performance but I think you will find Leeds we’re in a different place then , they have got better and better since the season has gone on and we have played them right in the middle of them being  in an extremely rich vein of form - still no excuse for last nights poor performance as I said .

I recall we played them first game of the season 4/5 years ago and got schooled and lost 3-1. We were miles off them that day under LJ 

The likes of Leicester, Southampton & Leeds will always be superior to other teams in this league because of the resources available to them 

In realty we are a 10th - 14th team currently based on the resources we have but now and again a team can buy & sell wisely and build a team that find a way of competing and achieving a top 6 place and then get promoted through the play offs 

Luton & Coventry have shown what is possible and even Ipswich albeit they have started to fall away slightly 

my point is, there will be games where the team performs below the usual acceptable standard especially when they come up against teams in form with higher calibre players and we need to accept this will happen occasionally but over 46 games if we can average 1.8 - 2 points per game then it is possible to finish in the top 6 but many stars have to align, very much like 2008 

Manning will be given time and there will be personnel changes again in the summer 

I used to be a ST holder up until 3 years ago and I honestly lost faith and fell out of love with the club purely because I was bored stiff watching us play and feed of scraps with no pattern of play and seeing players stealing a wage 

With what I have seen so far since Manning has been brought in, I feel as though we are seeing some form of playing style albeit it’s work in progress and it may take the rest of the season and the summer until we really see the fruits of his coaching and young talented players being integrated. At least now I can see a better style of football with structure and players who actually play for the shirt 

I may be convinced to get a ST for 2024/25 season just yet 

• Like 1

Not sure about negativity . Realism and recognition that J Lansdown , Tinnion and Manning are poorly equipped to take the club forward . It would be bad enough to have one of those 3 roles covered by a weak link , but to have all three is a rinse and repeat of all that has come before. 

If that is the dream team then it will be another 2 years whilst we go through the motions before the force of evidence is such that yet again the club has to accept it messed up. Again. Again. 

The club needs a reset from top to bottom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

FA Cup Semi Final too!

Doesn't it put things into perspective when we have owners that have invested over what 25 years and we've achieved league 1 champions and papa freight rover cup thingy (what ever it's called 😂) win at wembley it's not exactly great but we established ourselves in the championship.