IGNORED

Sound of the city

Bowlegchicken

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

JP summed it up perfectly "there seems to be this pain threshold that is just being stretched and stretched and stretched and stretched and it's just an awful experience for the fans, for the team, for the staff, for us, for everyone at the club. It's just a horrible environment to exist in at the moment and at one point it has to end"

For him to say that, with his access to the club, is incredibly damning. 

I found the whole show compelling listening; I literally stopped what I was doing and just sat and listened.

There were many insightful, credible comments from Piercy and Owers, but this one from Piercy stood out the most. For a respected journalist who covers the club to come out publicly and say something as damning as this was incredible, but probably just underlined what many of us think.

If you’ve not listened to the show yet I thoroughly recommend you do. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

What’s your take on ‘emotions’ in Manning speak PF?

The terms 'Emotions'...' Behaviors'...' Environments' etc, that Manning just spews at every opportunity, are straight out of the football coaching manuals. As are other various terminologies he spews. 

If you actually wanted to understand the meanings RR, it's very simple...Google is your friend. There are numerous accounts on the subject. 

Here's a simple one for you. 

https://learn.englandfootball.com/articles/resources/2023/How-to-help-players-manage-their-behaviours-and-emotions

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I enjoyed it but I think there was stuff that was plain wrong!

We all must know we were sold a pup on the basis of Pearson’s sacking. But the inference that his leg issue was an overwhelming reason is just plain propaganda wrapped up in excuses for this idiocy. 

I would think firing someone because they have become disabled would play out badly. Whatever the reasons, health, lack of personal relationship with him, results, they wanted rid. Why they did not do it in the summer if , as was suggested they had spent a few months sounding out his replacement, that Pearson got to hear about, was all pretty shabby. Why let Pearson and Alexander do the summer, then fire them both within a few months of seasons start ? Odd thinking from the Kelly (Please do not disregard his role in this) , Jon L and Tinnion. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

I wouldn't read too much into Ian Gay being ITK. The Tinnion link is what Ian would want you to believe.😂

He contributes to the FBC podcast and his most recent views are simply voiced to be controversial and let's not talk about his tweets on X🙄

It's quite comical that any respect he held from the fanbase continues to fade. Even BBC Radio Bristol are selecting others for post match supporters feedback, which tells you that 'Ian's Views' are becoming fastly outdated in 2024, with little factual content. Ask Fevs 😂

However, I still enjoy listening to Mr Gay though as all fans should be allowed to put forward their opinion.

Tonight's SOTC was brilliant. I sit in the same press area as GO and JP for 1st team fixtures and I always sit next to Piercey at U21 games and we pick the bones out of the talent coming through (not always in agreement though😂). James is a top journalist and incredibly invested in what he does. Naturally he has become emotionally attached to our club which comes with the job. I won't divulge who he supports from his childhood but don't worry it's not the Gas.

A great listen. Keep up the good work BBC Radio Bristol.

Ok  fair enough, I have no idea who the Gay chap is. But are you saying he made up the comment about Manning having 8 games to save himself, just for dramatic effect ? And there is no truth in that ? 

• Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

DH wasn’t SLs appointment- that was down to Ashton and Junior. Holden was a ridiculously stupid appointment who was sacked because City were flirting with the drop zone. It was a worrying time.

SL then appointed Nige who saved us despite inheriting an unfit and leaderless squad. 

LM wasn't appointed by SL he was appointed by tinnion and JR

See how you logic works against you

27 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Whilst I’m sure Tinnion has been providing snippets of info to IG - his continued and unshakeable defence of BT on FBC would suggest that - IG’s 8 games comment is his own. Tinnion wouldn’t be that silly….. would he? 

I think you can draw your own conclusions from your last line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I was led to believe Ashton proposed Warnock who wanted the job. Nige too….if only. 

Earlier in the season i was watching Ipswich against i can’t remember who now on sky, might of been Norwich, but the commentator made a point of talking about how Ashton had been tracking Mckenna as far back as his time at City and wanted to appoint him but the club chose a different path……that could only of been Holden (& from what i remember, Ashton didn’t look particularly happy at that odd covid outdoor press conference to confirm Holden!)

Could of course just been a bit of gametime filler from the commentator, but interesting if true.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

If you remember after LJ was sacked it took Junior and Ashton literally weeks and weeks so-say doing interviews before appointing Dean Holden from in-house. SL obviously trusted them and had very little involvement.

As soon as DH was sacked SL got involved and appointed Nige on a short contract within 48 hrs.

Unsurprisingly I do remember it, yes. Whilst it's true they interviewed a bunch of candidates Ashton wasn't particularly impressed with like Cook and Hughton, ultimately it was SL that decided DH should be given a chance. 

Both Ashton and JL looked like a couple of hostages in that DH announcement presser on the pitch.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

The terms 'Emotions'...' Behaviors'...' Environments' etc, that Manning just spews at every opportunity, are straight out of the football coaching manuals. As are other various terminologies he spews. 

If you actually wanted to understand the meanings RR, it's very simple...Google is your friend. There are numerous accounts on the subject. 

Here's a simple one for you. 

https://learn.englandfootball.com/articles/resources/2023/How-to-help-players-manage-their-behaviours-and-emotions

Interesting Spudski - never having  attended a FA coaching course it never occurred to me that Manning had picked up the term ‘emotions’ from there. I wrongly assumed that it was something he’d invented.

The more coaching terms he comes out with  reminds me of how similar he is to how LJ was.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Ian Gay’s 8 game comment could easily just be his opinion rather than something Tinnion has told him. The text didn’t say anything about sources and can be read as opinion if wished.  Think conclusions might have been jumped too here 

Either way, it's surely completely obvious that Manning does have 8 games to save his job?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Tomo, for once I disagree.  Back at the end of the transfer window I was on the pod, and we were all chatting before going on air.  He said things then that you’d only know if you were getting fed from the inside.

This wasn’t a tit-bit from the guy on the gate, this was too detailed.  It was nothing like the stuff he’d spouted in the past.  It wasn’t repeating stuff from the Post or from one of those Transfer Centre Twitter accounts and claiming as his own.

Interesting mate. If you are correct, I'm still not convinced that BT would be the source. 

If Ian has had previous knowledge of 'certain' inside information, it's more likely to come from someone lower down the chain imo...

27 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

LM wasn't appointed by SL he was appointed by tinnion and JR

See how you logic works against you

Where did I say that Manning was appointed by SL? got a link?

SL has essentially retired, he’s 71 and decided to largely step back from the club and allowing Junior to run the show.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Unsurprisingly I do remember it, yes. Whilst it's true they interviewed a bunch of candidates Ashton wasn't particularly impressed with like Cook and Hughton, ultimately it was SL that decided DH should be given a chance. 

Both Ashton and JL looked like a couple of hostages in that DH announcement presser on the pitch.

Was it? How do you know that?

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Interesting mate. If you are correct, I'm still not convinced that BT would be the source. 

If Ian has had previous knowledge of 'certain' inside information, it's more likely to come from someone lower down the chain imo...

Particularly if it was detailed info, it's unlikely to have come from Tinnion, who can only manage four of five words at a time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Ian Gay’s 8 game comment could easily just be his opinion rather than something Tinnion has told him. The text didn’t say anything about sources and can be read as opinion if wished.  Think conclusions might have been jumped too here 

All I’d say is that there appear to be some very loose lips at AG / HPC at the mo’!!!

27 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I think he has a different source these days!

30 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

On this one, like you, I don't think there is anything in it. We all know that the next 8 games are important for Liam's future. That's not difficult to work out. I would go as far to say that if we lose to Leicester, Plymouth and Sunderland he would be relieved of his duties. I think 8 from 8 will keep him in a job. Not a great return though is it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Where did I say that Manning was appointed by SL? got a link?

SL has essentially retired, he’s 71 and decided to largely step back from the club and allowing Junior to run the show.

Judging by your posting history recently, I’m amazed you don’t think Colin Sexstone appointed Holden…

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

I managed to tune into the last half hour. Some interesting points, and a few red herrings as well in my view.

But they did touch on the area where I believe, others will disagree, that the club is lacking. Leadership. When they removed Nige they left the club with the following 4 key people. Marshall, Tinnion, Jon Lansdown and Manning. In isolation you would question each of those people to perform their roles, but in combination it is in my view a recipe for disaster. There is no strength or depth of ability in that set up, so when you do have say a Manning type come in, who is learning on the job, the rest of the structure is not sufficiently able to support and carry them. This would be true of any young inexperienced coach coming in. I personally detest how Manning wants to play football, but that is about preferences, others love that type of game plan. But you cannot move Manning out, and for me he must go he is so out of his depth, but you have to also look a all 4 of those key positions. I do not believe those 4 people would not be on any other Championship clubs blue print for success. It is also worth mentioning that in recent years it has been shown that some of our better periods have been with experienced managers, GJ/SC and to an extent in terms of stopping a L1 return NP. Strong personalities all 3 of them. As there is no other leadership at the club, those people have had to fill a void. Removing NP, and at the same time all of his key team members was reckless and demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of what elements are required to create success. That did not happen at Brentford, Luton or Brighton. They all evolved along a similar path.

Manning has to go, the club is spiralling in one direction. But simply changing him for another young coach will risk the same outcome. 

The football club is rotten to the core. Complete shambles.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Putting aside the fact I think he's the reason for them lacking confidence, he's setting us up to not get beat in order to protect his job. Something about that does not sit comfortably with me. Despite what he thinks, we are not Liam Manning FC, we are Bristol City FC and he's not acting in the best interests of Bristol City.

He's acting in his own best interests and I don't like that. He's trying to do just enough to keep him in a job where he'll then get the summer. Basically trying to buy himself time. 

This is such a great point. Manning has even mentioned this a few times himself during interviews. Putting the emphasis on everything not to lose is a very negative mindset. Especially against teams below and around us we should be trying to beat

• Like 1

Well if he has got 8 games and the Gay chap was just giving an opinion, which is hardly outlandish is it, what will the club be expecting from those 8 games. if indeed they are even remotely considering a change. What can you see in those games you have not seen already? What I mean is that there is almost no chance we will see anything earth shattering in performances , as it seems we do not have the players to play his way. So imho, you can either decide you are going to go with Manning next season no matter what, or if you have doubts, it is far better to cut him out now and start looking and recruiting for a replacement. Waiting another 2 months is wasting time, as you will want a new person to start summer planning asap. Recruitment can be long winded too, and after this mess up, it will need to be done in a far more diligent and in depth manner too. 

So I do not get the 8 game stuff. If you are keeping Manning next season, then keep him. If you are in doubt after what you have seen so far, those 8 games will change nothing. Get rid now and start building. Getting rid at the end of the season would seem daft to me, and looks more like a forlorn hope something magical will happen so someone can avoid a big decision. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

Well if he has got 8 games and the Gay chap was just giving an opinion, which is hardly outlandish is it, what will the club be expecting from those 8 games. if indeed they are even remotely considering a change. What can you see in those games you have not seen already? What I mean is that there is almost no chance we will see anything earth shattering in performances , as it seems we do not have the players to play his way. So imho, you can either decide you are going to go with Manning next season no matter what, or if you have doubts, it is far better to cut him out now and start looking and recruiting for a replacement. Waiting another 2 months is wasting time, as you will want a new person to start summer planning asap. Recruitment can be long winded too, and after this mess up, it will need to be done in a far more diligent and in depth manner too. 

So I do not get the 8 game stuff. If you are keeping Manning next season, then keep him. If you are in doubt after what you have seen so far, those 8 games will change nothing. Get rid now and start building. Getting rid at the end of the season would seem daft to me, and looks more like a forlorn hope something magical will happen so someone can avoid a big decision. 

Yep, “back him or sack him”, 8 games isn’t gonna change your mind.  And I think Manning is too set in his ways to change anything dramatically.

Too many decisions to make between now and May, e.g. contracts of existing players, nail your summer targets, etc.  If you are gonna change, you’d want the new manager to have a bit of a look first.

Giving 8 games is the worst of both worlds.  But kinda fits perfectly the way decisions appear to be made at City.

I’m not sure whether the person who earlier used “farse” instead of “farce”, used it deliberately or not, but it seems a better spelling for City.

• Like 6