IGNORED

1974 Heritage Kit

Red Army 75

52 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Here is some context for you. I don't know your age but for Leeds in 74, think Man City at their best, full of internationals. Some great photos in this report.

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not when it's set in context, ie if you explain Britain in the 1970s, how football was regarded then, how good Leeds were, what sort of news made it on to the front pages of the newspapers.... what newspapers are! etc etc

Appreciate where you're both coming from. You'd be right to assume I wasn't born in 1974, though I am aware of Leeds' status at the time.

However, Leeds' former glory doesn't change my stance on this one, and FWIW I hold very similar views on our celebrations for wins over Liverpool in 1994, Man U in 2017, etc.

"We beat team X in the FA Cup 5th round 50 years ago!" is the sort of boast you'd expect from a League 2 side. I appreciate we don't have much to celebrate, but I'd rather we just acknowledged that we hadn't achieved anything yet and got on with trying to do so.

It's bad enough when we're talking about beating Liverpool, but Leeds!? This is a club who currently play in the same division as us and have done for most of the last 2 decades. It's the equivalent of Rotherham producing a shirt to commemorate their 1-0 win over Bristol City in 1968. Can you imagine how strange that would sound to us?
2 weeks ago, we were all disgruntled after failing to compete with Leeds in a 1-0 loss. The overwhelming feeling was that it's unacceptable for a team in our division to cruise past us so comfortably, and that we ought to look competitive at home against any side in the same league as us. Now we're producing a kit to celebrate scraping past said opponents in a cup game 50 years ago. It's rather ironic.

Though we might talk of being a Premier League club in infrastructure and potential, this kind of thing suggests to me that we're a League 1 club in mindset. It's a mindset that I think we need to get away from if we ever hope to truly realise our potential.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Like the shirt and it's got a proper badge. Yes it's a bit of a tinpot reason to release it but who cares. 

I guessing the players of 74 will be presented to the crowd?

Tinpot or not let's just enjoy the celebration and hopefully the badge will be on next season's kit. Although I doubt it.

11 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Appreciate where you're both coming from. You'd be right to assume I wasn't born in 1974, though I am aware of Leeds' status at the time.

However, Leeds' former glory doesn't change my stance on this one, and FWIW I hold very similar views on our celebrations for wins over Liverpool in 1994, Man U in 2017, etc.

"We beat team X in the FA Cup 5th round 50 years ago!" is the sort of boast you'd expect from a League 2 side. I appreciate we don't have much to celebrate, but I'd rather we just acknowledged that we hadn't achieved anything yet and got on with trying to do so.

It's bad enough when we're talking about beating Liverpool, but Leeds!? This is a club who currently play in the same division as us and have done for most of the last 2 decades. It's the equivalent of Rotherham producing a shirt to commemorate their 1-0 win over Bristol City in 1968. Can you imagine how strange that would sound to us?
2 weeks ago, we were all disgruntled after failing to compete with Leeds in a 1-0 loss. The overwhelming feeling was that it's unacceptable for a team in our division to cruise past us so comfortably, and that we ought to look competitive at home against any side in the same league as us. Now we're producing a kit to celebrate scraping past said opponents in a cup game 50 years ago. It's rather ironic.

Though we might talk of being a Premier League club in infrastructure and potential, this kind of thing suggests to me that we're a League 1 club in mindset. It's a mindset that I think we need to get away from if we ever hope to truly realise our potential.

I agree the victories over Liverpool and Man Utd shouldn't be commemorated. For loads of reasons. Certainly nowhere near the giant killing that Leeds was.

The rest of your post just proves you don't get it, though. Which is fine. No worries.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, James54De said:

How long until it appears on DH Gate? 

Failing that, Toffs have their version for sale.

Screenshot2024-02-14at20_32_15.png.bd4c700d057ccbe11a754827f9ffe6d6.png

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

When you look at the retro shirt market, I'd say it was very much sought after. 

Far from boring. 

Same can be said for retro clothing and trainers etc. 

The market is huge.. 

If they make the current shirts a modern design, great. I love this shirt , mine in '74 didn't have a badge and I must say I'm tempted . But with every season a new take on an old shirt or even a straight copy, it does get boring. 
I hope they go for a completely new design for the coming season.

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

AT LAST !  🔥🔥🔥

👏🏼🔴⚪🔴

Think this will be one of our biggest ever sellers 

As it's a limited edition I doubt they will do the numbers. Unless they rethink and restock, which sort of takes away the Ltd Edition thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The incredible victory at Elland Road, that shocked the football world and was featured on the front page of the papers, was the most momentous City triumph I've seen in the 54 years I've been watching.

Exactly.

Those saying tin pot have absolutely no idea of the magnitude of that victory.

Its them that are tin pot, ignorant of the history.

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Here is some context for you. I don't know your age but for Leeds in 74, think Man City at their best, full of internationals. Some great photos in this report.

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Remember that day like yesterday. i was on my way home from Torquay Tech  at the bus station in Newton Abbot,bought the Herald Express and their it was in the Stop Press (ask your grandad) 

Result. Leeds 0-1 Bristol City. Went mental, most there must have thought i needed an Ambulance.

2 hours ago, DolmanGaz said:

nice kit, but wearing a commemorative kit for a league game, to celebrate a 5th round FA cup tie almost 50 years ago is beyond tinpot...

if we'd won the cup, fine.

It's a nicer shirt than our current home kit. For that reason alone it's a 'yes' from me.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Failing that, Toffs have their version for sale.

Screenshot2024-02-14at20_32_15.png.bd4c700d057ccbe11a754827f9ffe6d6.png

If they make the current shirts a modern design, great. I love this shirt , mine in '74 didn't have a badge and I must say I'm tempted . But with every season a new take on an old shirt or even a straight copy, it does get boring. 
I hope they go for a completely new design for the coming season.

As it's a limited edition I doubt they will do the numbers. Unless they rethink and restock, which sort of takes away the Ltd Edition thing.

Just picked up on that Mike

Madness IMO

These and the 76 promotion shirts should be a permanent stock in the shop

Would always sell

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, I really like the shirt.  Nice one.

At what point does continually doing retro become passé / boring?

I agree with this (although I like this one off shirt and the sentiment). 

Id really love us to go a bit mad on a shirt, like a spray paint design to celebrate Bristols street art scene for example. Maybe just go a bit whacky on the away shirt.

1 hour ago, Street red said:

Sold out already they should of said it's a very very limited edition 😂 This club does me laugh how s**t we are.

The online shop gets a smaller percentage of the stock than the actual club shop. 

As it was launched around 6pm today. I am guessing the shop might still have its full quota?

Given how many times the club have dropped the ball/crayons with limited edition shirts, it's no surprise that they ordered in limited numbers.

Must have been a surprise to find one that was popular!

Just now, Midred said:

How many matches had Super Leeds gone unbeaten since the start of the season?

Less than Southampton.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Given how many times the club have dropped the ball/crayons with limited edition shirts, it's no surprise that they ordered in limited numbers.

Must have been a surprise to find one that was popular!

Less than Southampton.

Really, I thought that was the first match they had lost all season?

• Like 1

I absolutely love this and look forward to seeing the team running out on Saturday dressed as my boyhood heroes.

Agree about the Toffs shirts, I've got one of these, I've owned it for maybe about 10 years and it is absolutely great quality - perfect cut, 100% cotton, v-neck version. 

Can't remember how much I paid, probably about 30-odd quid. But it will never date, and you can still get them from Toffs at £47. 

This is the 75/76 slight update with the v-neck (which I personally prefer) which was when I went to my first City game. It doesn't commemorate the Leeds game, but still a fantastic throwback if you were a kid back in the 70s.

1549.webp

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Remember that day like yesterday. i was on my way home from Torquay Tech  at the bus station in Newton Abbot,bought the Herald Express and their it was in the Stop Press (ask your grandad) 

Result. Leeds 0-1 Bristol City. Went mental, most there must have thought i needed an Ambulance.

I found out when I got home from school. The match was played in afternoon daylight mid week which seems really weird but someone else on here recently said it was because of power shortages.

1 minute ago, City Rocker said:

I absolutely love this and look forward to seeing the team running out on Saturday dressed as my boyhood heroes.

Agree about the Toffs shirts, I've got one of these, I've owned it for maybe about 10 years and it is absolutely great quality - perfect cut, 100% cotton, v-neck version. 

Can't remember how much I paid, probably about 30-odd quid. But it will never date, and you can still get them from Toffs at £47. 

This is the 75/76 slight update with the v-neck (which I personally prefer) which was when I went to my first City game. It doesn't commemorate the Leeds game, but still a fantastic throwback if you were a kid back in the 70s.

1549.webp

Wore that shirt to the 2008 play off final, bought it from Toffs as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not when it's set in context, ie if you explain Britain in the 1970s, how football was regarded then, how good Leeds were, what sort of news made it on to the front pages of the newspapers (what newspapers are) etc etc

Football was strictly for the back pages. It was played almost exclusively on Saturdays at 3pm. Footballers were not celebrities. In other words, the good old days. Leeds hadn't lost a single game all season and were one of the best sides in Europe. The FA Cup was a proper competition.

There was massive political, economic and social unrest at that time - yet serious people, running serious media organisations decided news of Bristol City's victory trumped all that - and lo, there was Donnie, on the front page.

That's how big a news story it was.

Inevitably, all that gets lost over the passage of time.

I believe the picture of the goal was the first picture of a footballer on the front page of the Times. (It had no pictures at all on the front page until the 1970s). Given it’s the oldest and most famous newspaper in the world, some accolade). Also first item on the BBC 6 o’clock news. It was massive news.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, I really like the shirt.  Nice one.

At what point does continually doing retro become passé / boring?

In this instance, I think it’s as much about the simplicity of the design as much as it is the “retro” feel.

No sponsors, no manufacturers logo, no fussy design features. Just a nice, clean design in a vibrant shade of red.

If you could have a modern kit with a similarly simple design, I think people would love that too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redrob said:

Would you advocate wearing the same kit we wore when we played in the FA Cup final?

Why not,? Man Utd have worn blue.

Pretty sure City has actually borrowed Rovers kit, although 1909 was plain blue

Far bigger achievement  than 74 and happened 11 years before Rovers even became a league club.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The incredible victory at Elland Road, that shocked the football world and was featured on the front page of the papers, was the most momentous City triumph I've seen in the 54 years I've been watching.

I was there and here is my story.

I worked at Colodense in West St, Bemmy. A near neighbour of mine also worked there and he was also a City fan. His job was technical service to our customers and so he organised a visit to a customer inw Lincoln on the morning of the replay.

So at 6am, we set off to Lincoln. My wife and Dad, him and his wife. Went to customer and did the business bit, leaving Lincoln at 10.30. At 1.20 pm we got to Elland Road and bought 5 tickets in yhe stand opposite to stand where players came on to pitch.

My wife had never been to a live game and when Gillies scored, she asked me what had happened? The next 20 minutes were the longest in my life.

We found out later that when we bought five seats together, all turnstiles to terraces had been closed as full, fifteen minutes before we bought them.

One eighteen hour day by the time we got home, delighted but knackered.

• Like 4
  • Robin 3