IGNORED

Manning post match

Ivorguy

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's averaged a game every 4.5 days. Build in travel and recovery days and I guess it's an average of about 3 days between matches.

I don't really know what you can get done in that kind of time? When you think about doing classroom tactics sessions, on grass sessions, gym, recovery, and other sessions. Not sure, guess it's not ideal.

It was meant more literally as a question than a sarcastic dig, I genuinely don’t know how much time they have together but as others have pointed out this is the schedule, it’s not massively unusual other than the two replays.

It just sounded like he barely sees his players, which I’m sure isn’t the case - but also, the excuse doesn’t wash because they managed a master class against Southampton and 4 pretty decent cup games with this “lack of time”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Bloke behind me made an observation near the end of the first half that QPR were making us run around a lot. Not necessarily doing anything constructive, just making us run.

One of the things I’ve been very complimentary since LM came onboard is our press / block and in particular its efficiency in that when we do trigger the press, it’s effective in winning it back.

Today their goal came from playing through it.

Today they were generally happy to play it around at the back.

And until a post-midnight thought, it hadn’t really dawned on me why.  Or at least my view on why they were comfy.

And that is, they had an “out-ball”.

The likes of Field and Hayden didn’t really have to try and work angles for their CBs and FBs, and risk getting caught on the ball.  This is where we’ve had success in recent weeks.  They could stay in shape, and if our front four put their back 4 and keeper under pressure, they’d just go long to Dykes - the out-ball.

With Field and Hayden always in position, a) Chair and Willock, especially, Andersen less so could flit around Dykes for bits n pieces and b) if we did regain QPR we’re still solid.

The other team that had an out-ball recently was Leeds with Bamford.  I’m not a huge fan of his but he was excellent in making it difficult for Vyner and Dickie to win clean ball, and of course Leeds were super-sharp around him when they did need to go long.

Back to today.  What could we have done differently (in hindsight)?  Usually I’m quite quick (as a fan) at spotting these issues, but today it’s only now that I’m thinking that we should’ve played one of the DMs as a pure screen in front of Dykes, and then the other DM as more of an 8.  Turn our 4213 into a 4123 and get our FBs to push Chair and Willock as far away from Dykes as possible, ie. Isolate him / surround him.  We kinda played into their hands.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One of the things I’ve been very complimentary since LM came onboard is our press / block and in particular its efficiency in that when we do trigger the press, it’s effective in winning it back.

Today their goal came from playing through it.

Today they were generally happy to play it around at the back.

And until a post-midnight thought, it hadn’t really dawned on me why.  Or at least my view on why they were comfy.

And that is, they had an “out-ball”.

The likes of Field and Hayden didn’t really have to try and work angles for their CBs and FBs, and risk getting caught on the ball.  This is where we’ve had success in recent weeks.  They could stay in shape, and if our front four put their back 4 and keeper under pressure, they’d just go long to Dykes - the out-ball.

With Field and Hayden always in position, a) Chair and Willock, especially, Andersen less so could flit around Dykes for bits n pieces and b) if we did regain QPR we’re still solid.

The other team that had an out-ball recently was Leeds with Bamford.  I’m not a huge fan of his but he was excellent in making it difficult for Vyner and Dickie to win clean ball, and of course Leeds were super-sharp around him when they did need to go long.

Back to today.  What could we have done differently (in hindsight)?  Usually I’m quite quick (as a fan) at spotting these issues, but today it’s only now that I’m thinking that we should’ve played one of the DMs as a pure screen in front of Dykes, and then the other DM as more of an 8.  Turn our 4213 into a 4123 and get our FBs to push Chair and Willock as far away from Dykes as possible, ie. Isolate him / surround him.  We kinda played into their hands.

I don’t think you’re wrong on this. It was noticeable first fifteen that we were pressing QPR very deep, and that their front 5 were playing very high. There was a 40 yard gap between their backline and the next group - it was pretty clear. We also then didn’t fill that space - assumedly because we felt the ball wouldn’t come there. The out ball was always a longer one which by nature is percentage but they got bodies around it and picked it up.  I’m not sure pushing into an 8 would have necessarily made the difference, but we certainly played the game they wanted to play.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Manning is another LJ in my view, likes a square peg in round hole and as yesterday demonstrated when options are available makes very strange decisions. Jury massively out and no way has this been the proposed upgrade Tinnion and Lansdown suggested 

Manager in his 30s ✅

Controversial appointment ✅ 

Replacing an experienced and popular manager ✅ 

= Lee Johnson reincarnated - such a lazy comparison 🤣

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah that annoyed me. Particularly after he said “I’m not going to make excuses” and then made that excuse.

I’ll say again - we will play 52 games this season. Teams at our level will expect to navigate 2 cup games a season on average so play an average of 50 games (46 league, 4 cup). This is the schedule. It’s not unusual. If he can’t manage or coach in this schedule which is 4 months thus far, then he’s going to struggle every season 

Of course managing Oxford and MK they didn’t play this many games? What an awful observation. 

• Hmmm 1

Just now, Bs4Red said:

Of course managing Oxford and MK they didn’t play this many games? What an awful observation. 

League One - MK Dons in 21/22 season (excluding playoffs)

League Games 46

EFL Trophy Games 5

League Cup Games 1

FA Cup Games 1

Total 53

So, you’re right - they didn’t play this many games. Even pre playoffs, they played more.

”What an awful observation”

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

League One - MK Dons in 21/22 season (excluding playoffs)

League Games 46

EFL Trophy Games 5

League Cup Games 1

FA Cup Games 1

Total 53

So, you’re right - they didn’t play this many games. Even pre playoffs, they played more.

”What an awful observation”

It was clearly sarcasm as you’re stating he will struggle to manage if he can’t cope when he’s clearly been doing it at previous clubs. 

1 minute ago, Bs4Red said:

It was clearly sarcasm as you’re stating he will struggle to manage if he can’t cope when he’s clearly been doing it at previous clubs. 

Then why is he making the excuse on a regular basis Sherlock? Cant have it both ways. Either he thinks the schedule is too punishing to give him adequate time to train the players, or he can cope with the schedule and should STFU and get on with it. Which is it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Then why is he making the excuse on a regular basis Sherlock? Cant have it both ways. Either he thinks the schedule is too punishing to give him adequate time to train the players, or he can cope with the schedule and should STFU and get on with it. Which is it?

Or he’s trying to implement a new style which will take time and he’s frustrated that he’s mainly doing this by playing games. 
He’s not bemoaning the schedule, just making a point that it’s not ideal trying to do this without training. 

I also agree that he doesn’t need to be said but at the same time if he doesn’t people wouldn’t see that side of it. 

The process would be sped up by being able to train and is likely why it’s hit and miss performance wise at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Manager in his 30s ✅

Controversial appointment ✅ 

Replacing an experienced and popular manager ✅ 

= Lee Johnson reincarnated - such a lazy comparison 🤣

Indeed. Manning might succeed or fail but he's not LJ. For one thing, Manning is being accused of sticking far too rigidly to a playing philosophy, failing to react to changes and playing dull possession football. Johnson was generally accused (not inaccurately) of not knowing how he wanted to play, changing the line-up every week and resorting to hoofing the ball toward Djuric or Diedhiou. Different manager, different skillset, different strengths and flaws. Literally the only two things he has in common with LJ are that a section of the fanbase don't rate him and that he's quite young.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, David Brent said:

That defeat was nothing to do with Mr Pearson. No matter what you, or anyone who agrees with you, believe. 

It wasn't. But I suspect the vast majority of posters on here are bored shitless of both

a) the cohort that ignore every single win but claim Manning is the worst manager ever and about to relegate us each time we lose.

b) the cohort that ignore every defeat but claim Manning is the best manager ever and about to promote us each time we win,.

At the moment, Manning is doing a steady, unremarkable job. It's not what we were promised when NP was sacked but neither is it terrible. There's been performances that give reasons for optimism and performances that give reasons for pessimism. It's a bit weird and frustrating how some posters are determined to be completely absolutist one way or the other about a manager where there is nothing to be absolutist about. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It wasn't. But I suspect the vast majority of posters on here are bored shitless of both

a) the cohort that ignore every single win but claim Manning is the worst manager ever and about to relegate us each time we lose.

b) the cohort that ignore every defeat but claim Manning is the best manager ever and about to promote us each time we win,.

At the moment, Manning is doing a steady, unremarkable job. It's not what we were promised when NP was sacked but neither is it terrible. There's been performances that give reasons for optimism and performances that give reasons for pessimism. It's a bit weird and frustrating how some posters are determined to be completely absolutist one way or the other about a manager where there is nothing to be absolutist about. 

But being absolutist, in all senses of that word, is precisely what JL & BT are, ie appointing Manning as Head Coach and not Manager, they said, or inferred, would see the team in top six, where we should have been according to them .  All that was needed was a young coach with new ideas rather than stuffy out of date Nigel Pearson.  Well that’s working well.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, italian dave said:

Generous, but fair point too Dave.

I’ve said elsewhere that we’ve played 11 1/2 games since the new year, QPR have played 8. That’s almost 1/3 fewer.

Bloke behind me made an observation near the end of the first half that QPR were making us run around a lot. Not necessarily doing anything constructive, just making us run.

Maybe they recognised the stats and that was part of their game plan? It worked! 

Pretty strong squad to rotate with on paper though.

Just now, Ivorguy said:

But being absolutist, in all senses of that word, is precisely what JL & BT are, ie appointing Manning as Head Coach and not Manager, they said, or inferred, would see the team in top six, where we should have been according to them .  All that was needed was a young coach with new ideas rather than stuffy out of date Nigel Pearson.  Well that’s working well.

I'm going to tell you a story.

In a previous job, my boss was made redundant. I totally disagreed with the circumstances and was in a position where I knew I had enough crucial knowledge and internal cache to be able to make my feelings clear without worrying too much about reprisals. I made my feelings extremely clear and things were very tense between me and the board for a long time and, even today, I'd totally blank the person who I think was most instrumental in the decision if I saw them in the street.

A couple of months later - whilst I was still working there - their replacement was appointed. I never once took it out on them, built a good relationship with them and continued to work well with them until the day that I left.

My point is Manning was in no possible way involved in Pearson's sacking and wasn't working for the club when JL or BT made those nonsensical statements. So what possible reason would I have for taking it out on Manning? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Tbh I havent seen these absolutists.

Optimists and pessimists yes but I think Manning is getting an easy ride from the latter group.

Im not impressed, but  I wouldnt trust Lansdown and Tinnion to get anything right by design anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

He knew how QPR would play he didn’t underestimate them, it just felt like he didn’t change anything, when it was obvious what we were doing wasn’t working. And this has been a criticism of him in other games

I think your overall comment are fair, so not picking on you especially here.

With QPR compact, LM stated he felt they would get success going around but the players came up short.  The subs seemed to be a change in personnel to execute the same plan.

We did attempt some passes through the lines in the middle - Dickie always a standout for spotting a pass - but they were intercepted by QPR (I remember one from Williams in particular to set them up on a break).  We did also try a few over the top in the second half, but either the passes to over hit or there just wasn't the space.  It's not always easy to gauge from the SS how much space there is behind their defenders.  So, if the starting players weren't executing the game plan, it seems reasonable to change the personnel to actually see if others could before abandoning the plan. 

I'm the last 3 games we've won 2 games out of 3 I didn't expect to win and lost 1 to a team I'd expect to beat.  Also QPR may be down there, but in the last 6 games they are a respectable 10th in the form table. (That prob includes this game to be fair).  

The players underperformed massively yesterday, but let's have some balance.  Try not to cream ourselves when we get a decent win, or kick the cat when we play poorly and lose, eh?  Maybe we change OTIB to be OTT? 

(That's not at you @JP Hampton, you seem pretty measured in your response). 

• Like 1

Manning’s obviously got something about him- the Southampton performance wasn’t an accident- but I’m struggling to lose the sense that he’s a very good League 1 manager whose building a good League 1 side by recruiting solid/promising League 1 players. He’s clearly adjusting to the Championship but may run out of runway before we get airborne.

32 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Pretty strong squad to rotate with on paper though.

Yes, that’s fair - although probably also fair to say it’s the first game in this run where that’s been the case.

I still think LM and his team have managed the schedule pretty well overall. Maybe yesterday was just one game too much. 

6 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Half time tactical reshuffle with Tins -

Note clever use of chairs.

medium_1983_5236_11079_1.jpg.8d2d170beb00d757e510f46e71f40cf3.jpg

I think it was Cifuentes who made clever use of Chair! 👀

17 hours ago, Myleftpeg said:

The cult of Nige have piped up again I see😡

Got to say, I expected a meltdown / pile-on last night….it didn’t materialise, so not sure why you’re spouting bollocks like this.

What was your opinion on yesterday?

• Like 10