IGNORED

Manning post match

Ivorguy

2 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Or he’s trying to implement a new style which will take time and he’s frustrated that he’s mainly doing this by playing games. 
He’s not bemoaning the schedule, just making a point that it’s not ideal trying to do this without training. 

I also agree that he doesn’t need to be said but at the same time if he doesn’t people wouldn’t see that side of it. 

The process would be sped up by being able to train and is likely why it’s hit and miss performance wise at the moment. 

The argument that he is trying to implement a new playing style without time to do so is a little confusing in my mind.

If he’s trying to implement a style with no time to do so and with potentially a group of players of which a fair few may be gone next season then play to your strengths that you have now !

Get some points on the board and win over the fans, he was always coming into a difficult situation with NPs departure.

implement your new style in pre season with the players from the current squad who you’ll be retaining and the new players you’re bringing in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got to say, I expected a meltdown / pile-on last night….it didn’t materialise, so not sure why you’re spouting bollocks like this.

What was your opinion on yesterday?

Been on here since 2016 

A grand total of 6 posts , all the NP Cult b****x and anti Pearson

Very strange. 🧐. And a complete plumb 

#BristolSport

• Like 5

18 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Talking about not have the time to work on it again.

How often do they actually train? Anyone would think he’s managing a part time team the way he talks about training sometimes.

Pathetic isn't it.

I hope we don't get an LJ situation where 2 weeks of just training leads to a load of confused players who've had their heads filled with overly complicated jargon. 

18 hours ago, Jose said:

This training excuse is ******* shit. QPR have won one less game than us since we played them and he inherited a better quad of players. It’s not good enough. 

Mostly agree albeit is worth pointing out QPR did strengthen in January with 3-4 players in and just one out.

However yeah, the schedule is broadly speaking the same for most.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it was Cifuentes who made clever use of Chair! 👀

Got to say, I expected a meltdown / pile-on last night….it didn’t materialise, so not sure why you’re spouting bollocks like this.

What was your opinion on yesterday?

Thought it was magnificent, cosmic football😂😂😂

17 hours ago, Myleftpeg said:

The cult of Nige have piped up again I see😡

Crazy innit?

Clearly, that was a fantastic performance against QPR.

Dare I say, breathtaking ?

We were desperately unlucky to lose.

It will be even better when Manning gets even more time with the players on the training pitch.

We've never had it so good.

• Flames 1

17 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Yes I agree although we saw the same against Leeds, but it was brushed over by many on the usual “parachute/prem players” basis. 

Clearly the coaching team have a week to work on it. Apparently they haven’t had enough time at the HPC. 

Tbh Leeds dominated us in all areas pretty much. They were more dominant vs us than QPR were and have a 100% winning record in the League in 2024.

We still set up badly though..set up badly and were too passive perhaps.

30 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

The argument that he is trying to implement a new playing style without time to do so is a little confusing in my mind.

If he’s trying to implement a style with no time to do so and with potentially a group of players of which a fair few may be gone next season then play to your strengths that you have now !

Get some points on the board and win over the fans, he was always coming into a difficult situation with NPs departure.

implement your new style in pre season with the players from the current squad who you’ll be retaining and the new players you’re bringing in.

Exactly this all day long. It’s all on manning which ever way you look at it. If he is trying to change too much too quickly then that is a bit naive . 

This season was always a right off however. time will tell . It’s not mannings fault  for the top 6 gibberish from above when he joined. Let’s see where we are after 10/15 games of next season. If we start next season with a few shocking performances like that disgrace yesterday things will turn nasty quick though.

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Pathetic isn't it.

I hope we don't get an LJ situation where 2 weeks of just training leads to a load of confused players who've had their heads filled with overly complicated jargon. 

Omg . Sends shivers down the spine but wouldn’t surprise me.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Then why is he making the excuse on a regular basis Sherlock? Cant have it both ways. Either he thinks the schedule is too punishing to give him adequate time to train the players, or he can cope with the schedule and should STFU and get on with it. Which is it?

Could be both, SD!

If you take that 50 games above as the norm, then that equates to a game every 5.5 days over the course of a season.

Over the past 16 weeks we’ve played an average of one game every 4 days.

A combination of the Xmas period and our cup run have made the past few weeks unusually taxing. 

I buy into what Manning is doing and I think after a summer turnover I think next season is going to be the best for some years

But yesterday he got pretty much everything key wrong from starters to subs to formation/tactics chasing the game

Hopefully he’ll learn a lot from it!!!

7 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

I buy into what Manning is doing and I think after a summer turnover I think next season is going to be the best for some years

But yesterday he got pretty much everything key wrong from starters to subs to formation/tactics chasing the game

What evidence do you have for your first paragraph ?

PS If we already have a top six side why would we need ‘a summer turnover’ - tweaking perhaps but not turnover

• Like 3

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yes, that’s fair - although probably also fair to say it’s the first game in this run where that’s been the case.

I still think LM and his team have managed the schedule pretty well overall. Maybe yesterday was just one game too much. 

Possibly, but I dont see him adapting well to whats in front of him tbh.

Early days isnt it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What evidence do you have for your first paragraph ?

PS If we already have a top six side why would we need ‘a summer turnover’ - tweaking perhaps but not turnover

Because ‘buy in’ means I can see the style and impact it can have and has been shown as West Ham, Forest and Southampton to name the most obvious games

i haven’t said we are a top 6 side, that was Jon Lansdown’s lack of credibility comment around sacking Nige when he should have just been honest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Because ‘buy in’ means I can see the style and impact it can have and has been shown as West Ham, Forest and Southampton to name the most obvious games

i haven’t said we are a top 6 side, that was Jon Lansdown’s lack of credibility comment around sacking Nige when he should have just been honest.

Sorry still disagree profoundly. We had similar random good results under Pearson with a far inferior squad.  It’s not the wins that you judge a coach by but the defeats, imo

25 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Summer turnover? I wouldn’t expect too much at all, tbh. I think the bulk of our summer business was done last month. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry still disagree profoundly. We had similar random good results under Pearson with a far inferior squad.  It’s not the wins that you judge a coach by but the defeats, imo

Yeah that’s true we did, I guess time will tell (I wouldn’t have sacked Nige by the way)

Remain unconvinced on Manning and it will take more than a back to back wins amongst sustained winless runs to change that.

I enjoyed the fixtures against premier league opposition and the saints, however it’s the fixtures against the likes of QPR and the bottom half where Manning really needs to earn his corn. 

In the large majority of his games so far, as many have stated, his in game management has left a lot to be desired.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Summer turnover? I wouldn’t expect too much at all, tbh. I think the bulk of our summer business was done last month. 

Guess it depends on contracts of Williams and James and what offers we get for fringe players or perhaps those out of contract next year namely Conway for one

• Like 1

Thought under NP from say I dunno early 2023 maybe even a bit sooner we often had a baseline level of performance and long winless runs weren't a factor. That said I remember the Autumn to Winter of 2022, start of 2023.

Not that we necessarily had long winning runs either albeit the 2 months unbeaten in all competitions last season showed promise but now it seems erratic and all over the place. A bit feast or famine- it's a problem.

Put another way we have had far more shockers or flat days under Manning so far than we have had under NP over a similar sample size with comparable squads. As a ratio even more so.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

How many minutes has he played? Got to give him a chance before writing him off surely.

More what should have been simple passes went to opposition in 30 minutes than I've seen any other player in a whole season. Weak. Clumsy. Didn't seem to know what to do or where to go. Up there with Diony.

My criticism though is more of the manager than the player, it was a vital game to win to keep up our faint hopes of a play off push and that was seemingly an experiment. 

57 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Could be both, SD!

If you take that 50 games above as the norm, then that equates to a game every 5.5 days over the course of a season.

Over the past 16 weeks we’ve played an average of one game every 4 days.

A combination of the Xmas period and our cup run have made the past few weeks unusually taxing. 

That would be a totally valid argument if the first time he moaned about it wasn’t pre the first West Ham game…!

The biggest problem for me, is that all of our problems are foreseeable.

I predicted before Millwall that we would lose 1-0 to a late goal. Everyone knew Preston would beat us. I fancied us to beat West Ham and Forest. 
It’s all down to our lack of plan b and same approach to every game. We’ll look good against teams that come at us and give us space to pass in. Against those that won’t, we’ll struggle. Everyone knows this.

We have the players to play a pressing style and force mistakes. Why we don’t do this in the games when we know our passing game isn’t working or won’t work, I don’t know. Suggests some stubbornness somewhere, or a complete lack of ingenuity.

Like others have said, I’m yet to see us come out in a second half and be better than we were in the first. That’s a worry too.

There are some promising signs about Manning, but equally there are many, many red flags which make me question whether he was the right appointment already.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Ashton Fete said:

He's going to have to find more ways of playing the game. 

His tactics are very basic and if organised well, easy to defend against. 

Too much reliance on wide play offensively and crosses.  And trying to draw CBs outward to create space on the edge of the box to pass into. 

If disciplined you just keep formation and slide with the cross field movement. 

Only time we look like scoring is winning the ball from a press, an interception, or breakaway counter. 

Our build up possession football that he's trying to create is sooooo obvious. 

We have players that could be useful down the middle. But he chooses not to do that. 

We rely on slide rule passes from wide to score. 

2 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Like others have said, I’m yet to see us come out in a second half and be better than we were in the first. That’s a worry too.

To be fair you have to go all the way back to Tuesday night to have an example of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

He's going to have to find more ways of playing the game. 

His tactics are very basic and if organised well, easy to defend against. 

Too much reliance on wide play offensively and crosses.  And trying to draw CBs outward to create space on the edge of the box to pass into. 

If disciplined you just keep formation and slide with the cross field movement. 

Only time we look like scoring is winning the ball from a press, an interception, or breakaway counter. 

Our build up possession football that he's trying to create is sooooo obvious. 

We have players that could be useful down the middle. But he chooses not to do that. 

We rely on slide rule passes from wide to score. 

Fair assessment, at times far too predictable to play against

it’s baffling how we can go from so good to so bad in a matter of days. Yesterday he got it all wrong and players were way off it of which he can’t take all the blame clearly 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh Leeds dominated us in all areas pretty much. They were more dominant vs us than QPR were and have a 100% winning record in the League in 2024.

We still set up badly though..set up badly and were too passive perhaps.

Leeds were able to dominate us because we couldn’t pass, move or compete. We were passive as you say in both games 

• Like 1