IGNORED

Manning post match

Ivorguy

What do people think?

I thought it was rather mealy mouthed.  Should show more self awareness.  Sadly I feel he has a long way to go to be a head coach of atop Championship side, and I had really hoped he was learning fast, re tactics and man management.  Now, as I say, a way to goon both

• Like 5

Personally I think he did recognise at least that they didn’t play well enough. He said forget about tactics, we didn’t get the basics right, but he didn’t appear to have any self awareness of possible poor sub decisions or lack of adaptability in  approach to play. Once again there didn’t seem to be a pan B. Subs also aren’t always automatically the answer. 

He knew how QPR would play he didn’t underestimate them, it just felt like he didn’t change anything, when it was obvious what we were doing wasn’t working. And this has been a criticism of him in other games. 

Mebude Little Boy Lost. 
i think we actually missed Mehmeti after he was subbed, cos he was at least creating something. And to not use Twine but bring on Cornick and Mebude when the thing we were missing was any creativity. 

No one was being brave or taking initiative. I’d struggle to call a MOTM tbh. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Talking about not have the time to work on it again.

How often do they actually train? Anyone would think he’s managing a part time team the way he talks about training sometimes.

Yes, we thought that was strange mentioning a lack of time again!

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

How often do they actually train? Anyone would think he’s managing a part time team the way he talks about training sometimes.

Yeah that annoyed me. Particularly after he said “I’m not going to make excuses” and then made that excuse.

I’ll say again - we will play 52 games this season. Teams at our level will expect to navigate 2 cup games a season on average so play an average of 50 games (46 league, 4 cup). This is the schedule. It’s not unusual. If he can’t manage or coach in this schedule which is 4 months thus far, then he’s going to struggle every season 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

I am a manning fan but I wasn't impressed with that post match interview, seemed very soft to me just lost to a relegation side at home who had a day less rest then us after they played Wednesday and he's talking about giving the players a nice lovely break.  Qpr totally had our number today its obvious what you do against us is form that low block and get us on the transition I do think we need better personnel but he can't find an answer or plan B for sides that do that against us.

Edited by BCFC31

Manning needs a pre-season, I think that is reasonable. To have a proper time to set up his ideas.

However, I find it quite tiresome when he keeps mentioning this lack of time with the players. Did he mention that in his interview, when Tins was explaining that his task this year was to get us into the top 6? Should we have set out to lose the FA cup game so we could train more and focus on the league? 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

I am a manning fan but I wasn't impressed with that post match interview, seemed very soft to me just lost to a relegation side at home who had a day less rest then us after they played Wednesday and he's talking about giving the players a nice lovely break. 

Can’t do that. Might de-condition them!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Personally I think he did recognise at least that they didn’t play well enough. He said forget about tactics, we didn’t get the basics right, but he didn’t appear to have any self awareness of possible poor sub decisions or lack of adaptability in  approach to play. Once again there didn’t seem to be a pan B. Subs also aren’t always automatically the answer. 

He knew how QPR would play he didn’t underestimate them, it just felt like he didn’t change anything, when it was obvious what we were doing wasn’t working. And this has been a criticism of him in other games. 

Mebude Little Boy Lost. 
i think we actually missed Mehmeti after he was subbed, cos he was at least creating something. And to not use Twine but bring on Cornick and Mebude when the thing we were missing was any creativity. 

No one was being brave or taking initiative. I’d struggle to call a MOTM tbh. 

Struggle. MOTM was OLeary by a country mile!

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

Manning needs a pre-season, I think that is reasonable. To have a proper time to set up his ideas.

However, I find it quite tiresome when he keeps mentioning this lack of time with the players. Did he mention that in his interview, when Tins was explaining that his task this year was to get us into the top 6? Should we have set out to lose the FA cup game so we could train more and focus on the league? 

**Taps the sign**

Liams best season was after taking over MK Dons in August (so no pre season). With a schedule of more games than we have (which belies his schedule point). On pre seasons, he’s 1-1 for good or poor in performance thereafter.

He might do exceptionally post a pre season - he might do dreadfully. What needs to be said whenever this point is made that it’s in no way a sure thing based on record to date.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He's averaged a game every 4.5 days. Build in travel and recovery days and I guess it's an average of about 3 days between matches.

I don't really know what you can get done in that kind of time? When you think about doing classroom tactics sessions, on grass sessions, gym, recovery, and other sessions. Not sure, guess it's not ideal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Yes, we thought that was strange mentioning a lack of time again!

It's what we football experts call an excuse. 😉

More seriously, if you don't have much coaching time stick to the style the players are most used to, aggressive and intense. Don't tell them to control possession if it leads to pedestrian football that the opposition can handle comfortably.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

It’s like listening to a boring version of LJ bullshit bingo making excuses for rubbish, however at least he’s discovered the tombola ! Progress we can cling to!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

It's what we football experts call an excuse. 😉

More seriously, if you don't have much coaching time stick to the style the players are most used to, aggressive and intense. Don't tell them to control possession if it leads to pedestrian football that the opposition can handle comfortably.

Yes possession football that’s taking all the creativity out of players at the same time. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's averaged a game every 4.5 days. Build in travel and recovery days and I guess it's an average of about 3 days between matches.

I don't really know what you can get done in that kind of time? When you think about doing classroom tactics sessions, on grass sessions, gym, recovery, and other sessions. Not sure, guess it's not ideal.

Not ideal but it is the job. I find it a bit frustrating how some posters seem to write the manager off after every defeat but the reality is that the number of games is what happens when you manage a team at this level. He doesn’t have to like that but he does need to adapt to it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not ideal but it is the job. I find it a bit frustrating how some posters seem to write the manager off after every defeat but the reality is that the number of games is what happens when you manage a team at this level. He doesn’t have to like that but he does need to adapt to it.

Yep - the schedule is the schedule. Over his four months there hasn’t been anything markedly unusual in the number of games we’ve had, and as you say, it may not be ideal but it’s definitely not something that can or should be used as an excuse.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Other managers and teams seem to cope OK.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What do people think?

I thought it was rather mealy mouthed.  Should show more self awareness.  Sadly I feel he has a long way to go to be a head coach of atop Championship side, and I had really hoped he was learning fast, re tactics and man management.  Now, as I say, a way to goon both

Said it before and I will say it again - he has done absolutely nothing in the game to suggest he will take us forward. And he has shown very little since coming in either 

Another Lee Johnson. A yes man who is learning on he job 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

Just now, JP Hampton said:

Yeah although we had more than QPR and we still couldn’t do anything with it. 

Our passing was awful all afternoon almost every time we tried playing it forward we gave it straight to one of their players. I’m sure the stats show we had the ball more than them, but never where it was going to hurt. 

It will be interesting to see forward possession stats. @Davefevs

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah that annoyed me. Particularly after he said “I’m not going to make excuses” and then made that excuse.

I’ll say again - we will play 52 games this season. Teams at our level will expect to navigate 2 cup games a season on average so play an average of 50 games (46 league, 4 cup). This is the schedule. It’s not unusual. If he can’t manage or coach in this schedule which is 4 months thus far, then he’s going to struggle every season 

Very strong bench (for us) too.

"Cup finals" where we get stuck in and hit better teams on the break are great but you actually need to know how to beat worse teams too, and thats not by playing in front of them at 5 mph and waiting for their massed ranks to part like the ref sea.

Players looked fit enough imo just undercooked = overcoached.

A bit LJ in the self awareness area minus the stellar ego to me.